Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Tiny Lister had himself a life, man.

My four year old refers to him as "big ear fox" since he's that fennick fox in zootopia. She was, frankly, a bit surprised when I showed her fennick's voice actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Are you talking poo poo about the President from The Fifth Element?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Zeus here would of course go on to have a famous acting career, with such roles as "That guy who got knocked the gently caress out in Friday" and "That prisoner on the boat in Dark Knight". WWF had the Rock here, man

Don't forget Earthican president in Fifth Element.

e:f,b

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

My four year old refers to him as "big ear fox" since he's that fennick fox in zootopia. She was, frankly, a bit surprised when I showed her fennick's voice actor.

If she becomes a wrestling fan, you need to tell her that Big Ear Fox once wrestled Hulk Hogan.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

If she becomes a wrestling fan, you need to tell her that Big Ear Fox once wrestled Hulk Hogan.

She's a Bruti fan.

She likes his tights and how his hair looks like hers does when she wakes up in the morning.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

She's a Bruti fan.

She likes his tights and how his hair looks like hers does when she wakes up in the morning.

Brutus Beefcake did have really good tights.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I have a feeling you're eventually going to change your position on Bossman.

As a crossover, here's the WWF debut of Zeus, as well as possibly Bossman's best singles match ever and definitely one of Hogan's best--their steel cage match on May 27th, 1989 SNME (THREE AND 3/4 STARS by Meltzer)

(match starts around 30:00 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4o7Tc3QZvU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Someone just post a bunch of Bossman-In-Japan gifs imo

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Nah let's have the beautiful Demolition pic I mentioned earlier.

https://i.imgur.com/v6xF72I.png

Apologies if imgur link sux, it's probably best if you can't see it

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Someone just post a bunch of Bossman-In-Japan gifs imo
edit: n/m, embedding tweets is automatic.
https://twitter.com/skrongstyle/status/697411141476155392?lang=en

You mention Andre being bad in the ring at this point, and you're right. He's more of a prop that people work around than an active participant at this point. He really was goddamn terrifying in his prime, though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Marmaduke! posted:

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE! :gonk:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Please do not bodyshame Demolition

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always liked Bossman.

And yeah, back when Andre could move he was a scary, scary man, like the Big Show is/was. :randstare:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marmaduke! posted:

:randstare:

edit:lmao randa how did you slip in before I posted/refreshed

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

edit:lmao randa how did you slip in before I posted/refreshed

I don't know, but god bless Sandwich Artist for buying the smilie.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Takuan posted:

edit: n/m, embedding tweets is automatic.
https://twitter.com/skrongstyle/status/697411141476155392?lang=en

You mention Andre being bad in the ring at this point, and you're right. He's more of a prop that people work around than an active participant at this point. He really was goddamn terrifying in his prime, though.

Corbin's been watching his Boss Man stuff apparently.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Marmaduke! posted:

I love that Ax seems to be almost the same age in both pictures.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zeus no-selling for Hogan and Hogan's horrified reactions were a real eye-opener for Lil' Jerusalem, I'll tell you what.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
This has been a fascinating read up to this point. As someone who never really watched wrestling until catching a Daniel Bryan match during his run up to Mania 30 (And then going back to watch Taker vs Shawn at Mania 25), I always kind of bought into the hype about 80s WWF. Even when I would see clips of it that was bad, I would assume I didn't get it when looking at it through 2017 eyes. But the good stuff really makes the bad stuff stand out even more. I think I might follow along on the network with this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CascadeBeta posted:

This has been a fascinating read up to this point. As someone who never really watched wrestling until catching a Daniel Bryan match during his run up to Mania 30 (And then going back to watch Taker vs Shawn at Mania 25), I always kind of bought into the hype about 80s WWF. Even when I would see clips of it that was bad, I would assume I didn't get it when looking at it through 2017 eyes. But the good stuff really makes the bad stuff stand out even more. I think I might follow along on the network with this.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, my friend.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm behind, but this passed without comment largely, and I feel I need to make one:

Rarity posted:

So many questions. Luckily, one of these I have an answer for. This is trash TV talk show host Morton Downey Jr., making an appearance here to meet Vince's celebrity quota. He's smoking as he comes down to the ring and Jesse says that he's “always puffing on that weed”. Holy poo poo, Jesse! You just called someone a drug user on national television! You're wrong, though. That's blatantly just a straight. Love confronts Morton and says that he doesn't love him. Morton retorts that “any guy who wears a skirt I don't want to love me”. FOR gently caress SAKE, NO!

Oh look, here's Piper at last. I no longer care. This segment is already so terrible I just want it to be over. Unfortunately, we're just getting started. Piper comes down to the ring and squares off against Love.

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Some Random Fan: “Pull his skirt off!”

Piper intimidates Love by telling him he looks good in a kilt and complimenting his knees and generally hitting on him in that really creepy and controlling way that is purely about making Love feel gay panic. And this is meant to be the loving good guy! Piper calls all Love's gold rings cheap cause their turning his fingers green. All through this Morton is flinging cigarettes at them to Piper's increasing ire. I give you Wrestlemania, ladies and gentlemen!

Piper starts talking about being a true Scotsman and the things they keep up their kilts so Love tries to sneak a glance. Piper slaps his hand away and threatens to bite his face off. Dude, don't incite the gay panic if you can't take the gay panic. Piper wonders what Love keeps his kilt but he knows for sure it can't be balls. Because that would make him a woman and thus weaker, stupider and more emotional and we can't celebrate version of masculinity that don't involve crushing empty beer cans against your head. Piper decides to get a better look so he strips Love's kilt off and he's wearing briefs that are almost as red as his face. Love races to the back in embarrassment while Piper looks proud of himself like the raging dillweed he's definitely just been.

There's nothing wrong with a man in underwear heading up the back entrance

Which brings us and Piper along to Morton, who acknowledges being the focus of the attention by blowing smoke into Piper's face. Guys, I think we've just found the new worst gimmick ever. At least Snitsky's gimmick was just a baby-killing foot fetishist embarrassment. This one is legit going to give Morton cancer. Piper says that the last time he saw Morton he was covered in warts but it turns out Morton's been very charitable by donating these warts to a homeless warthog. Piper refers calls it his girlfriend. Stop trying to be cool, Piper. This segment is making you look just as bad as everybody else.

Morton returns to the subject of kilts and reckons that Piper is a transvestite. For gently caress sake. This is too much for me. This entire thing is just so loving awful and I know it's the 80s and 'people didn't know any better' but that doesn't matter cause it loving shouldn't. I want this to end. I want Morton and Piper to disappear in a cloud of smoke and then Bret Hart's in the ring and he spends fifteen minutes wrestling a baseball bat. That would be better than this.

Despite Piper's requests Morton keeps on blowing smoke in his face. He claims that it's healthy and if he gives it a go Piper can live as long as he has. Which led me into a Google hole that showed in the end Piper didn't live as long as Morton did and now I'm sad because there is no justice. Anyway Piper changes his mind and asks for a smoke but while Morton's got his back turned Piper grabs the fire extinguisher. Morton turns around into a huge spray of steam and gets covered in it while wriggling around awkwardly. Jesse crowns the poo poo topping on this poo poo sundae by saying that Morton might turn into a “bleeding heart liberal”. Like that's a bad thing.

IT'S OVER!

Firstly: the insane awful of this segment is really not shocking when you know who Morton Downey Jr. was. He might legitimately be one of the worst human beings (if he even qualifies as such) to ever be on television, and I'm saying that with Trump actively in mind (there's an argument to be made, in fact, that Downey was basically proto-Trump, but with a talk show instead of political ambitions).

Secondly: Morton was a legit chain-smoker and was very against anti-smoking campaigns, that's not a gimmick. And yeah, it eventually gave him cancer, and there was much rejoicing by all.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Secondly: Morton was a legit chain-smoker and was very against anti-smoking campaigns, that's not a gimmick. And yeah, it eventually gave him cancer, and there was much rejoicing by all.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Thank you for this. I legit scared my cats laughing at this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hercules vs. Greg Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart

Before we can get the proceedings for this one underway Finkel makes us wait a moment so that he can introduce a special guest ring announcer: Ronnie Garvin. Why is he here? I don't know but according to commentary he's already been banned from both wrestling and refereeing. Haha. Good. I'm guessing he's working his way down so that by the time Survivor Series rolls round he'll be the local ringrat.

Herc' comes out and Garvin gives him the standard introduction but it's when Greg shows up with Jimmy in tow that things get interesting. Or as interesting as an angle between Greg and Garvin can get, which is not very. Garvin calls Jimmy “the big mouth of the South” and adds that Greg looks “overweight by thirty pounds”. He doesn't stop there, he's got a whole string of insults that he launches Greg's way. It gets to the point where I think it's a bit excessive. Lay off, man. It's not Greg's fault if he's got thyroid issues.

The pilot episode of Blind Date was not off to a good start

Greg reaches the ring and immediately fronts up to Garvin but Herc' rushes him from behind and beats him down. Greg recovers and goes for the Figure 4 early only Herc' shrugs it off easily. Herc' hits a big tall suplex but Greg muscles him down and slips his feet up on the ropes to get a very quick win. Or so it would appear. But we're not quite finished with the antics just yet.

Garvin comes back into the ring to announce the winner but he names Herc' instead of Greg. Careful, Garvin! You'll get fired from this job too at this rate! The ref hears Garvin and comes back over to have a little word in his ear. Garvin apologises to the crowd and announces the actual winner of this match... Herc' by DQ! Greg, who is understandably upset by this masterful troll, attacks Garvin and then brawls with Herc' on the outside until Garvin helps chase him away.

There's not much to say about this match because it was very short and purely existed to help build this Greg/Garvin feud. To which I say, why? Greg's been with us right from the start and this is the first real angle he's been involved in and it's a feud with Garvin? Who the hell in the audience was salivating to see these two square off? Also, wrestlers put their feet on the ropes all the drat time and it's not a valid pin but it's also not a DQ. Greg got screwed. East Rutherford '89, never forget.

Zombie Mean Gene's shamblings have been lured by a bubbling cauldron from which he senses the same voodoo magics that keep his own bloated corpse mobile. And standing around that cauldron are the three sages known as Savage, Zeus and Sherri and AAAAA JESUS WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH SHERRI?

No mummy, I don't like it!

She says that the cauldron is full of madness in which she sees Hulk laid out flat on his back. Savage sees it as well but its all smaller because of Zeus. He calls out Brutus as the weak link of the team and he imagines all the endless possibilities for what could happen between Sherri and Elizabeth. Sure Randy, you and every other red blooded male in the arena. Zombie Mean Gene turns to Zeus and he screams and screams and screams. What the gently caress did I just see? I can't call that promo good or bad, it was just completely bizarre.

Ted DiBiase w/ Virgil vs. Superfly Jimmy Snuka

So Snuka is back and jumping right into the action. I have to say this isn't something that appeals to me. I've never thought of Snuka as a good wrestler, I've never felt like other people rate Snuka as a good wrestler. I've always known him for the moment when he jumped off the cage in 1983 and that's a great moment and all, for sure, but... well, we're already in 1989. The internet tells me Snuka was 46 at this point which is not too bad. It's not quite the point where I'd be getting mad at him for staying past his prime but it doesn't bode well for his ability to keep up with the evolving style of wrestling.

DiBiase makes his way out first and I notice that they've started announcing him from a different residence each time. Hehe, that's one of those subtle touches that really sells a gimmick. DiBiase cuts a quick promo where he takes credit for ending Jake's career. I guess DiBiase was involved in that shameful WM5 match briefly but it was all Jake kicking his rear end so I don't think that really counts. Snuka comes out and this time he doesn't remember he left the oven on because he stays out, hurray!

On second thoughts I think I'd prefer it if you just went

The bell rings and Snuka immediately makes the smart move of going after Virgil. He grabs him on the apron but DiBiase attacks so Snuka ducks and DiBiase sends Virgil down to the mat. Snuka goes for a leapfrog but he botches it so bad he drops down right on DiBiase's head. It looks nasty. I might need to rethink that 'past his prime' thing. Jesse says that Snuka is like an animal so he acts on instinct alone. He keeps bringing it up and it's a comment with some really uncomfortable racist undertones and I wish he would stop.

I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on this match and there's a very good reason for that. The whole way there's a constant and repetitive bird chirp on the audio. I have no idea why it's there but it's incessant. Snuka connects with a back body drop on DiBiase so he begs off but then takes the advantage. DiBiase whiffs a second rope elbow drop but not too long later Snuka hits with a second rope headbutt. Ow. Don't do that move, Jimmy. Nobody should do that move.

Guys wrestling without shoes always freaks me out

Snuka goes up top once more and then he stalls there for so long that I wonder if he's turned into a statue. However, it soon becomes apparent that he was waiting for Virgil to get in position for the spot because Virgil ambles over like he's on a Sunday round of golf. Yeah, take your time, mate. It's not like I'm about to meet Hulk for a drink back at the 19th hole. Eventually Virgil distracts Snuka so the two men brawl. While this is happening DiBiase sneaks up from behind and shoves Snuka into the ringpost to get a countout. Snuka wants some retribution so he attacks DiBiase and Virgil after the match. DiBiase disappears faster than Roman Reigns on a Wellness Test day so Snuka settles for taking Virgil out with the Body Splash.

I wouldn't go so far as to say this match was bad but it was just meh. It existed, it didn't achieve much and nothing memorable took place. I feel like I've ended up in a love-hate relationship with DiBiase because there are times when he's been amazing and it's all clicked and I get it but then there are times when he's low effort and low ability and he just puts on these dull brawls with smosh finishes. Guess which DiBiase was around tonight.

Mooney has now wandered up to the balconies right at the top of the arena. I think this is all one giant troll of him. He's doing nothing, he's adding nothing, he's just giving us a different vantage of the crowd. Somewhere in the back Vince is pissing himself laughing.

BURTUS

One last trip to Zombie Mean Gene who is now with Hulk and Burtus and I'm delighted to report that Burtus has finally had a decent haircut. It's such a huge improvement for his look, I can't believe it's taken him over two years to get there. Zombie Mean Gene asks the boys if they're ready to take on Savage and Zeus.

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Hulk Hogan: “Ever since me and the Barber hooked up we've been hanging and banging.”

Oh boy.

Hulk goes on to talk about how they were driving down to the arena but got stuck in traffic so they went to the river and parted the Red Sea just like Moses and the Hulkamaniacs couldn't believe their eyes. Burtus goes extra psycho about his titanium shears, claiming that they're a part of him and he's going to make them a part of Savage. Hulk adds that the Hulkamaniacs couldn't believe the sight of secret weapon (i.e. Elizabeth) riding on his back because of her giant headlights. For gently caress sake, Hulk!

Oh look who's in the ring, it's the Genius! Isn't he the guy who WCW paid a poo poo ton of money to to sit at home for three years because he was... I wanna say, Savage's brother? But while WCW were kings of the nepotism game it's the WWF who were playing it first cause here he is to cut a promo. Sorry, I mean read a poem. I have to say that I find the Genius's IQ levels fraudulent because otherwise he would notice that what he's reading is a very bad poem. There's barely any rhymes and no sense of rhythm whatsoever. He says that “Burtus had the nerve to call Sherri underdressed” and calls Elizabeth useless. You discount her too fast, Genius. I hear she's great for keeping the road bright when driving at night.

This gimmick was so much better when Damien Sandow did it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That is Macho's brother, and yes he was paid millions of dollars (Millions of dollars! Millions of dollars!) to sit at home and do nothing in WCW because they forgot he existed. He is the Genius

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DeathChicken posted:

millions of dollars (Millions of dollars! Millions of dollars!)

Oh my god, I love you for this

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Genius left WWF and got paid a lot of money to sit at home with his family.

Damien Sandow left WWF and got paid little money to wrestle as a midcarder in TNA and kill off any good will fans ever had towards him.

Rarity: Clearly Damien Sandow is the smart one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

There's not much to say about this match because it was very short and purely existed to help build this Greg/Garvin feud. To which I say, why? Greg's been with us right from the start and this is the first real angle he's been involved in and it's a feud with Garvin? Who the hell in the audience was salivating to see these two square off? Also, wrestlers put their feet on the ropes all the drat time and it's not a valid pin but it's also not a DQ. Greg got screwed. East Rutherford '89, never forget.

Greg's been plenty of feuds to this point.

WM1: Feud with Tito Santana
WM2: Feud with The British Bulldogs
WM3: Middle of an angle that would see Beefcake turn face.

Then with this one, he feuded with Garvin, beat him in a retirement, Garvin became a referee, and used his position to gently caress with Greg, ultimately losing his ref's job when he punched Greg in the face, resulting in Valentine losing to Jimmy Snuka.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
yeah there's probably going to be a lot of midcard feuds that you'll miss with this just being a ppv retrospective now that WWF has a bunch of tv shows going on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Or as interesting as an angle between Greg and Garvin can get, which is not very.

As a kid I loved the Greg/Garvin feud :mad:

Rarity posted:

Who the hell in the audience was salivating to see these two square off?

raises hand

I think I've mentioned before that I haven't gone back to rewatch it and it probably doesn't hold up, but I just completely brought into the Valentine/Garvin angle and loved every second of it back when it first aired. I was genuinely shocked when I found out that Garvin's WWE run was looked so down upon and that he'd had an (initially) far more successful run in WCW as "The Man with the Hands of Stone" which, to be fair, is about the coolest nickname possible.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Leapin' Lanny was awesome, you ingrates.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It always annoyed me of how great that Garvin/Valentine feud was ("I unfairly lost a retirement match, so I'll just find a legal reason to stick around in a non-wrestling capacity to bug the man responsible") and yet when they did that angle where John Cena was fired, they didn't do the exact same thing. They just had Cena show up and beat up the Nexus single-handedly until Wade Barrett rehired him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

They just had Cena show up and beat up the Nexus single-handedly until Wade Barrett rehired him.

He didn't even wear the loving shirt, John :negative:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Burtus

I'm still laughing at Burtus.

e: I really like the story of the Garvin/Valentine feud reading about it. Unfortunately, it was before I started watching, so I can't speak to the reality of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It was also at this point in his career where Valentine had taken to wearing a shinguard, and turn it around before applying the figure four

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Is that as powerful a trick as arching your back into a figure 8, or as nasty as turning over?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was sold as the submission equivalent of Lex Luger hitting people with his metal forearm

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It was sold as the submission equivalent of Lex Luger hitting people with his metal forearm

And then Garvin started wearing his own to counter it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

And then Garvin started wearing his own to counter it

That actually sounds hilariously cool, it's two bad they're both really really bad in the ring. Or that Greg Valentine was in his mid-late 30s here and even then looked like a 75 year old chainsmoking grandma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

That actually sounds hilariously cool, it's two bad they're both really really bad in the ring. Or that Greg Valentine was in his mid-late 30s here and even then looked like a 75 year old chainsmoking grandma

Garvin's six years older than Valentine.