Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Esmail did a long interview with Alan Sepinwall about this week's episode. My favorite bit:

quote:

Then once the episode shifts POV to Angela, we were going to do our first edit there. And then we decided to opt to keep the take going. We discovered that with Angela, if we just shifted the camerawork from Steadicam that would reflect the floating feel that reflects Elliot’s fogginess, once we got with Angela, we’d go to handheld, and it would reflect Angela’s more kinetic storyline of trying to break into the room and get into this air-gapped computer. When we figured out that, we realized we didn’t really need an edit point to shift POV, that it would, in fact, be more interesting to keep the long take going and shift the camera style and camera movement. That’s how it evolved from this conversation about real-time storytelling to how we filmed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Seems like Irving knew Elliott was up there as well

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

This shot was so great.

https://i.imgur.com/QXFVO4M.gifv

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I know, I loved that too. Initially the shot reminded me of some sort of top down spy game or shooter like Metal Gear Solid or Hotline Miami or something like that as we tracked Angela to the server, but then it swings out over the street way below and somehow just opens things up like crazy. It provides contrast to this dark, claustrophobic office in panic by showing business as usual in NYC outside, which is also sort of ironic in its own way because there's actually still somewhat of a protest going on down there, too. Layers upon layers, all of it so loving good.

The direction, DP, art design - whatever and whomever it is responsible for the way this show is composed - they loving own.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When the ep aired lived, did it just have 15 min of commercials after or what?

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt
I watched this episode once on a small 27" screen in my hotel room. Can't wait to rewatch on my big screen at home. An amazing episode technically, and the content was great too, really moved things along.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That was a good loving episode. When the riot popped off :tviv:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
agreed, the episode was awesome. great catch thread on elliot in the background.

how many episodes are in the season? 10?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Just got an email for a link to https://www.whoismrrobot.com/

Seems like a lot to sift through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

It ended early and then they started showing some of the after show (which I then turned off.)

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

They played about 5 or so minutes of commercials then kicked into the aftershow for the remaining time.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why was Whiterose in the Ecorp building, and why did her not wanting to see Angela hurt Angela so much?

I know we didn't see her, but the parallels with the last time someone brought the chicken man a bag of hard drives outside of a clean room were pretty obvious to me and I got a whole religious experience vibe from that scene. It seemed to me like Whiterose was rejecting Angela for some reason.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Mameluke posted:

Why was Whiterose in the Ecorp building, and why did her not wanting to see Angela hurt Angela so much?

I know we didn't see her, but the parallels with the last time someone brought the chicken man a bag of hard drives outside of a clean room were pretty obvious to me and I got a whole religious experience vibe from that scene. It seemed to me like Whiterose was rejecting Angela for some reason.

Wait what? Why are you saying whiterose was in the building? What did I miss?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

Angela is gonna have to "Dark Army fuckup" herself with the gun in that bag, isn't she?

Great episode, very nice. Would've liked more Mr. Robot in this show called Mr. Robot.
Maybe it's to take care of that woman who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Also gotta love hazmat suit sandwich dude

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mameluke posted:

This is either a fantastic troll or you have the weirdest interpretation of this show out of all of us.

Episode was fantastic. Nothing more to say on that.

I think the Dark Army is a little too loose and stupid with their planning. For one, I don't see why Elliot had to be the air gap hacker when they literally gave a step-by-step instruction on how to perform the necessary hack. For another, I thought that the rioters were ignoring Angela at first because they knew they were supposed to. (For the one poster who was complaining about her demeanor, Angela thought the same thing, this is why she's so calm at first. She assumes they know it's her and it's also why she calls out to them when hounded by security.) But then they later attack her, so we know that there are rioters who aren't Dark Army. Irving mentions this. So.... why the gently caress wouldn't the Dark Army keep closer tabs on their own operatives (Angela) to ensure their plan doesn't get screwed? Angela could have been looking for Elliot to complete the hack when suddenly a rioter smashes a glass against her head and boom, the whole plan fails. Great job Dark Army.

Lastly, for the person wondering how Elliot knew what Angela was up to (assuming that was him in the background) and why he didn't stop her I'm pretty sure once back in the building (now emptying out) he managed to snag a terminal to check his monitoring program he had running and run additional monitoring. Probably even possible there's a security camera in that room (or somewhere near it) and he caught what Angela was doing, running to stop her only to discover the hack was done. I kinda hope we get a 5+ minute long cut of all that.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 9, 2017

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I was hoping whatever is in the bag is some kind of magic shouldnt exist poo poo, proof of something so that we and Elliot could find out what the gently caress is going on next week. I just hope its not lame as gently caress like its just a sandwich or something only a schizophrenic would take as evidence.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Goofballs posted:

I was hoping whatever is in the bag is some kind of magic shouldnt exist poo poo, proof of something so that we and Elliot could find out what the gently caress is going on next week. I just hope its not lame as gently caress like its just a sandwich or something only a schizophrenic would take as evidence.

to be fair it could be a really loving good sandwich

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Angela did not hack anything.

She backed up files.

Nothing Elliott did would have deleted the backed up files she placed in that USB stick she found.

e:

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

This shot looks like it was inspired by Gasper Noe's Enter The Void, and I freaking love it.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

This shot looks like it was inspired by Gasper Noe's Enter The Void, and I freaking love it.

:perfect:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I don't get while the show thinks Angela doesn't know her way around a computer. Like, she's probably not wunderkind supernerd Elliot level, but she worked at a computer security company for a long while. Even if she became management quickly there's still some technical knowhow to do that job.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

T-man posted:

I don't get while the show thinks Angela doesn't know her way around a computer. Like, she's probably not wunderkind supernerd Elliot level, but she worked at a computer security company for a long while. Even if she became management quickly there's still some technical knowhow to do that job.

The instructions weren't particularly difficult. Log in and run a .bat file. She did just fine.

Recall the episode where she's memorizing shell commands. Didn't seem such a stretch that she wasn't familiar with the tools they were using.

What was her original role in season 1? Thought she was Gideons executive assistant.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

^^ I think she was Sales, but I'm not sure

SpaceAceJase posted:

Ah ha, I couldn't quite place the familiarity of that scene.

There was a public IP displayed in red text at some point in the episode, during the Elliot shot I think.. I wish I had marked the time. It might just lead to whoismrrobot.com, though

I missed the eye contact on first watch

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oh yeah I almost forgot.
When Elliot was talking directly to his co-worker I thought, "poo poo, that's meant for us," which perfectly matched up to him then going, "poo poo, that was meant for you."

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That is a tasty looking burger https://www.red-wheelbarrow.com/

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

maskenfreiheit posted:

This whole avoiding HR reminds me of the beginning of The Matrix.

Haha, I totally got the same vibe.

CloFan posted:

It really does. Ugh, I'm hungry now.

Amazing episode overall.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

CloFan posted:

The menu looks ripe for a cipher to solve

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

J33uk posted:

The menu looks ripe for a cipher to solve

I don't know about the menu but the bit on the bottom of the news page:

+++
ATDT 0118 999 881 999 119 725
A voice *can* just go somewhere, uninvited, and just kinda hang out- next time we will play fair, even if she doesn't. She can't stop us, and neither can you. And if you can't beat them...

Javaphile has nothing on us...

Shout outs to Eagle Union, THe GreEns, 888169 and Honker Union- EBGGuvegrra, ernyyl? Cynl gvzrf bire fbba...

+++ No carrier.

That code just says "ROTThirteen, really? Play times over soon..." :saddowns:
And the number at the top is a joke from IT crowd that's supposed to be the replacement for the emergency number. I don't know what anything else means though I haven't really followed their online stuff.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

CloFan posted:

But it’s supposed to be a BBQ joint. Those should be pulled pork sandwiches at the very least.

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer
Loved the episode, did anyone manage to catch/translate what the German dude in the opening scene in the elevator said?

Here's an interesting read about the hacks depicted in the show, how they came together, and their basis in reality.

https://medium.com/@ryankazanciyan/mr-robot-disassembled-3-4-runtime-error-r00-9319c70c30f2

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

SpaceAceJase posted:

The instructions weren't particularly difficult. Log in and run a .bat file. She did just fine.

Recall the episode where she's memorizing shell commands. Didn't seem such a stretch that she wasn't familiar with the tools they were using.

What was her original role in season 1? Thought she was Gideons executive assistant.

I dont recall, but she wasnt experienced enough to know what a rootkit was in the first episode

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

CloFan posted:

There was a public IP displayed in red text at some point in the episode, during the Elliot shot I think.. I wish I had marked the time. It might just lead to whoismrrobot.com, though

Ah ha, there was a public IP displayed: https://www.reddit.com/r/ARGsociety/comments/7byd8b/elliots_server_log_files_19225168232/

Going to that IP leads here, where there't not much besides UPS log files. One of the log files (results-2015-09-29.txt, the day of the events in the latest episode) leads to another public IP, looks like the UPS: http://yac9cl78.bxjyb2jvda.net/ I can't really get it to do anything else besides show the date of the last firmware update, which is 09-08... so maybe the hack Angela did didn't work?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite part of the episode was all the lingering shots on the television talking about the annex of the congo by China instead of the current breaking news of Ecorp being raided by protesters.

I mean it's not even a typical protest, people seem to have been killed, and police were overrun, guaranteed this would make the news instantly if some high rise company in New York got raided.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

XyZeR posted:

, did anyone manage to catch/translate what the German dude in the opening scene in the elevator said?

"beginning is hard. beginning is easy. persistence is an art" :shrug:

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 10, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fried Watermelon posted:

My favorite part of the episode was all the lingering shots on the television talking about the annex of the congo by China instead of the current breaking news of Ecorp being raided by protesters.

I mean it's not even a typical protest, people seem to have been killed, and police were overrun, guaranteed this would make the news instantly if some high rise company in New York got raided.

I’m pretty sure a country being annexed by another country on a different continent is a Bigger Deal than some office building riot.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Goofballs posted:

I figured it was just either a gun, some kind of poison, or a "You lose" post-it note in a bag since sandwich dude kind of gave the impression of "Yeah, that's it". Considering Tyrell went nuts and wanted Mr. Robot out of the plan entirely and had to put some last minute plan into action, it wouldn't surprise me if the events were orchestrated so that Elliot's fate would be sealed after cleaning up their plan and all loose ends would be tied up.

CloFan posted:

Man I'd hope E-Coin was stable against Bitcoin, otherwise their Pulled pork sandwich would cost $62,699.95 in today's rates.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m pretty sure a country being annexed by another country on a different continent is a Bigger Deal than some office building riot.

lol if you think american news gives a poo poo about what happens in africa

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's the company that controls the country's currency though

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

lol if you think american news gives a poo poo about what happens in africa

they seem to talk a lot about benghazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That episode was loving amazing.

As for "how did Elliott" know what floor Angela was on - wasn't he explicitly trying to reach that floor already, before she was? I thought he said he was trying to get to "the server on the 23rd floor".

I loved the part where the old woman turned out to be super-l33t.

• Locked thread