Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Pancakes posted:

gently caress the DH. :smug:

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the bat is the big thing. Looking at his career stats, you can totally 100% argue that he's a slightly above average hitter at a bat first postion, or you can see a relatively young hitter whose power numbers should get better once he leaves Kauffman Stadium.

Hosmer's power numbers are worse away than at home. Any GM who looks at stats is gonna see that.

Pancakes posted:

Ah yes, his 11 hits and 2 home runs surely was a game changer!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 10, 2017

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

seiferguy posted:

Hosmer's power numbers are worse away than at home. Any GM who looks at stats is gonna see that.

tbh it's not supposed to convince the GM, but the owner. Those kinds of stats don't have to be true, just have to seem true

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Sab0921 posted:

Voters hate Joey Votto.

Seriously

seiferguy posted:

Ah yes, his 11 hits and 2 home runs surely was a game changer!

11 hits and 11 RBI!! that like a perfect score

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 10, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheFlyingLlama posted:

tbh it's not supposed to convince the GM, but the owner. Those kinds of stats don't have to be true, just have to seem true

Depends on the team, really. Seattle needs a 1st basemen and I wouldn't mind Hosmer, since lefty batters tend to do better in Safeco. But I don't think he's worth the $100m+ salary.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pancakes posted:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Royals offseason wish list:

Rebuild the farm. Or at least start rebuilding the farm.
Don't sign Eric Hosmer to an 8 or 10 year deal. Both for the team's sake and for his sake, I wouldn't mind him going somewhere with a team that will compete in the next 5 years.

There is little hope.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Tigers off-season wishlist:
1. Lock Al Avila in a broom closet
2. Kidnap Dave Dombrowski
3. Trade Castellanos and a ptbnl for Stanton :q:
4. Just barely outperform 2003

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not on the super hilarious baseball injury list and he isn't a player, but Ned Yost broke his pelvis trying to build a tree stand to hunt deer (or hunt whatever) on his property.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

elentar posted:

Braves

1) clear loving house, anyone in the front office last year needs to be somewhere else as of yesterday.

That’s really the only thing, the team is a year away from really contending so otherwise just throw prospects into the mix periodically till September. And don’t sign Moustakas or any other contract that’ll bog down the payroll during the actually decent years to come.

I wish Liberty Media would sell the team. Can someone talk Ted Turner into buying them again?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Goon project to buy the Braves, I'm pretty sure we'd do a better job. plus, whoever gets to be our scouts gets to go to cool places in the Caribbean and South America and Asia!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pancakes posted:

This is coming from a lifetime NL fan- pitchers hitting suuuuuuucks

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Hoz took both the Gold Glove and the Silver Slugger. Motherfucker is going to get paid and I pray it isn't by the Royals. Loved Hoz, he brought us a ring, he is about to get super overpaid.

If I were the owner the only FA I would think about retaining is Cain.

edit: Unless Moose and Hoz sign super cheap, but why would they? And honestly I hope they don't because all players should try to get motherfucking paid.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

Hoz took both the Gold Glove and the Silver Slugger. Motherfucker is going to get paid and I pray it isn't by the Royals. Loved Hoz, he brought us a ring, he is about to get super overpaid.

If I were the owner the only FA I would think about retaining is Cain.

edit: Unless Moose and Hoz sign super cheap, but why would they? And honestly I hope they don't because all players should try to get motherfucking paid.

I wanted Moose--which by the way I would have told myself I was crazy if I went back five years and tried to tell past-me this is what would happen--but yeah, his last year was probably too good for him to be affordable. I'd like to keep Cain if he can be had short term, I don't trust his body to last more than a few more years.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Rangers wishlist:

1. Get some starting pitching, hopefully Darvish or Arietta if the price tag isn't terrible. Seriously we only have Hamels and Perez right now, if the rotation is thin enough next spring that Nick Martinez is still a regular, non-injury replacement member of it, we might as well go into a rebuild.

2. Hopefully get Otani.

3. Get another decent right handed batter. We pretty much only have Andrus, who will probably opt out if he has another good year and we may not be able to get him back, and Beltre, who's turning 39 in the spring and just missed half the season injured. The lineup will be very lefty heavy, especially if DeShields doesn't win a starting OF spot in the spring.

Ragnarok the Red fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 10, 2017

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Blue Jays wish list:

1. Find some way to make Kendrys Morales' contract a mulligan and fire him into the sun.
2. Get an infield that isn't held together with glue sticks and hope (Tulo, Travis) so that we don't have to see Ryan Goins, Everyday Player again. Maybe get Dee Gordon or something. Also, if you do #1 then you can rotate guys off the field for DH days (but if you can't you basically have a permanent DH in Morales).
3. Fix Aaron Sanchez's finger.
4. Stop being the slowest, oldest team.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/dylanohernandez/status/928871915418091521

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

To quote wiki

"Once the MLB Commissioner announces the posting and the fee, the player has 30 days to sign with an MLB team"

This might be all over before the new year.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

The Pussy Boss posted:

Your 2017 Silver Slugger award winners:
C: Buster Posey

Kinda shocking seeing as he had only 2 home runs after June and played 30 games at first base

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

New Concept Hole posted:

Kinda shocking seeing as he had only 2 home runs after June and played 30 games at first base

Kurt Suzuki got robbed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So is he gonna go on a College Basketball style recruiting tour?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

mcmagic posted:

“So this is Tampa Bay and, uh, yeah. Right back to the airport, then?”

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Rangers wishlist:

1. Ohtani
2. Miles Mikolas (seriously check out his numbers in Japan, also check out the video of him eating a lizard)
3. Trade Choo
4. Do whatever voodoo magic you need to teach Odor some plate discipline
5. Maybe get a RH bat

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Jose Altuve somehow became even more adorable :allears:

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/928785360905269248

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's going to be an absolute crime when the Astros try to pay Jose peanuts again and he ends up in pinstripes or dodger blue.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's going to be an absolute crime when the Astros try to pay Jose peanuts again and he ends up in pinstripes or dodger blue.

One would think that a season as successful as they had would translate into profits that they could continue, if lucky, by plowing money back into the team.

So that leads me to wonder, "How profitable is a WS winning season for the owner? And for the team? (since I would guess those profits are distinguishable)." Is it wildly profitable?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mcmagic posted:

That's actually common for most high profile free agents. Teams show them around town and give them a presentation about what the team can offer them besides money. The presentation the Cubs gave Lester showed their expected 2016 lineup during the 14-15 off-season and it had Heyward in CF, when he was still a Cardinal.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I can't wait for Otani to be posted so the Twins can sign him.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

tadashi posted:

That's actually common for most high profile free agents. Teams show them around town and give them a presentation about what the team can offer them besides money. The presentation the Cubs gave Lester showed their expected 2016 lineup during the 14-15 off-season and it had Heyward in CF, when he was still a Cardinal.

Tell me they already had a draft of Heyward’s speech for Lester’s review and then maybe I’ll be impressed.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I hate the trend of #___strong after Massachusetts over used it on everything as a marketing move to sell random assorted products and capitalize on actual tragedy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

the popes toes posted:

So that leads me to wonder, "How profitable is a WS winning season for the owner? And for the team? (since I would guess those profits are distinguishable)." Is it wildly profitable?

Teams pocket all postseason gate and concession revenues instead of splitting them with the union so, yes, it can be a huge financial boon.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I imagine the bulk of revenue is in merch sales and bigger huge crowds the following season.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nodoze posted:

I hate the trend of #___strong after Massachusetts over used it on everything as a marketing move to sell random assorted products and capitalize on actual tragedy

:wrongcity:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Timby posted:

Teams pocket all postseason gate and concession revenues instead of splitting them with the union so, yes, it can be a huge financial boon.

Not all. Players get the bulk. Teams benefit if a series goes long rather than ending in a sweep

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Timby posted:

You also get a huge boost at the gate the following season.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
boston strong except in the post season

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nodoze posted:

:same:

Mostly because I hate the idea of my city being defined by a tragedy.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

IcePhoenix posted:

I can't wait for Otani to be posted so the Twins can sign him.

Oohhhh my god yes. Please let this happen. I can actually get to Target field to watch games

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

the popes toes posted:

I'm pretty sure Poque knows the exact answer to this question and I'm also pretty sure he's not allowed to tell us. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bump_fn posted:

boston strong except in the post season

Papi :(

• Locked thread