Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe he can write a movie about how Hollywood is awesome and progressive. He'll get an Oscar then. The academy loves giving Oscars to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe he can write a movie about how Hollywood is awesome and progressive. He'll get an Oscar then. The academy loves giving Oscars to themselves.

With today's environment he'd best hedge his bets by starring in two films:

One portrays a well-meaning film producer who gets his career destroyed by an evil woman accusing him of sexual harassment which he totally didn't do you guys.

The other portrays a former child star haunted by memories of past abuse, finally getting the courage to stand up to the dying producer who first assaulted him.

It's the perfect Oscar-bait twofer, either catching the Academy elite as they're feeling defensive and welcoming anything that makes them look like the good guys, or an Academy purged of abusive shitheads looking to come to Jesus.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You reach out to his people, I'll start writing the screen plays. We've got this Absurd Alhazred! Finally, a goon project that starts with a failure!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

You reach out to his people, I'll start writing the screen plays. We've got this Absurd Alhazred! Finally, a goon project that starts with a failure!

Whoever wins, we suck! :hfive:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think Eddie Murphy wants to do what anyone wants him to do. It’s like his appearance on the SNL anniversary special. He hadn’t told a joke on stage in like 26 years and he went out on stage and did a completely serious speech with not one joke.

Eddie Murphy isn’t going to change, even if it might benefit him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don’t think Eddie Murphy wants to do what anyone wants him to do. It’s like his appearance on the SNL anniversary special. He hadn’t told a joke on stage in like 26 years and he went out on stage and did a completely serious speech with not one joke.

You'll never make it in this town with that attitude, buddy! :nallears:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

You just talked yourself right out of a producer credit.:colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The best thing about these two films is that we can just reuse the same sets.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The other portrays a former child star haunted by memories of past abuse, finally getting the courage to stand up to the dying producer who first assaulted him.

I would totally watch this remake of "In a Glass Cage" with Eddie Murphy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

I would totally watch this remake of "In a Glass Cage" with Eddie Murphy.

Wow, that's... I need to watch this at some point. Not alone, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only goon project that ever succeeded was swap.avi.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
If Eddie Murphy went to Netflix they would probably sign on for whatever idea he had.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Bowfinger's pretty great.
Steve Martin did a few mid-budget comedies in the 90s that were pretty fun. Bowfinger, Mixed Nuts, and LA Story are all good.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I recall Bowfinger getting panned when it came out, but it really is a sold comedy.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What I'd heard (and probably mentioned last page or page before) was that it was massive posters for Norbit all over Hollywood that cost him the Oscar, although it always seemed like a bit of an over-simplification to me.

Isn't Peter Sellers/"Being There" reported as the same thing? People feel that a scene after the main film during the credits cost him the Oscar?

Honestly, though, Eddie Murphy would probably do very well as late night talk show host. It's not even like that's a dumping ground for entertainers at this point given the huge amount of success and Youtube material those shows have become over the last 5 years or so.

But the problem would be finding a channel/show that isn't already flooded with such programming at late night.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FactsAreUseless posted:

Steve Martin did a few mid-budget comedies in the 90s that were pretty fun. Bowfinger, Mixed Nuts, and LA Story are all good.

And then he did the Pink Panther movies.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
An article I read a while back said the live-action family-friendly comedy genre used to be really big during the 90s and probably into the 00s for a while. I think you had a couple of those Cheaper by the Dozen movies. Bringing Down The House, I think, did pretty well, too.

Pink Panther probably appealed to some of that, too.

The Medea movies seem like the last batch of those sort of things that even get made unless you want a $100M+ CG or action/effects comedy.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
There's apparently a new one called "Medea goes to jail."

The character is finally going to pay for their many crimes against good taste.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Medea goes to jail is an old one

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Maybe it the sequel Medea Goes to Super Jail

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The newest one was a sequel to the Halloween one, wasn't it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LogisticEarth posted:

I recall Bowfinger getting panned when it came out, but it really is a sold comedy.

It made fun of scientology ("Welcome to Mindhead") so yeah.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It made fun of scientology ("Welcome to Mindhead") so yeah.

Yeah, those guys are really efficient at ruining hollywood careers when they want to.

Apparently the Slap-Chop/ShamWow guy claims that when he started making his "Underground Comedy Movie" he was in the church, and they were supporting the project. Then he left and they started badmouthing him, and he says it's a big reason the thing failed (and not you know, because the commercials for it made it look terrible). He did the infomercial thing to personally recoup his losses and I want to say take Scientology to court.

....then he got in a fist-fight with a hooker, and lost all credibility.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Bowfinger is great. I wouldn't say that Steve Martin's career "died" at all. He seems to be doing exactly what he wants to. Could probably say the same for Eddie Murphy.

To tie it back into TV though, I think both Martin and Murphy did great work on SNL and their best stuff has aged quite well.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I think another aspect of the downfall in Eddie Murphy was his gimmick of playing multiple characters. The dinner scene in The Nutty Professor was funny the first time (maybe?) but he's so over-the-top that it gets old fast. By the time Norbit came out I think everyone was tired of Eddie Murphy playing a bunch of the characters.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I could have sworn Eddie Murphy was in one of those "magical negro" roles recently, the role that Spike Lee hates. Those can be reliable oscar baits.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I could have sworn Eddie Murphy was in one of those "magical negro" roles recently, the role that Spike Lee hates. Those can be reliable oscar baits.

Honestly, his roles in Mulan and Shrek both match the magical negro character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rirse posted:

Maybe it the sequel Medea Goes to Super Jail

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Mulan I'll give you, but Shrek? That was more a mix of fairytale spinoff and everyman wacky sidekick. He doesn't really say or do anything more extraordinary than Shrek does. Except maybe hook up with the dragon, but that just might be an open mind paying off when you try to understand someone who seems scary.

...recalling that, Shrek 2 had some surprisingly interesting moments, and I may recall them better having rewatched it with hilariously bad foreign subtitles. (where once Shrek pretends to be a union rep he never quite gets out of the act) The 'Ever After' potion that basically makes people into what they 'should' be; hulking ogre Shrek becomes a 'loveable oaf' baby-face kind of fairytale hero, Donkey becomes a great white stallion (a bit ironic given a stubborn donkey is the perfect steed for the kind of character it turned Shrek into) and so on. It was a pretty good extension of the original movie's deconstructive parody of fairy-tales and general Hollywood good-guy/bad-guy aesthetics. I have no idea what the next few movies were like, the marketing was incomprehensible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be...

Mulan I'll give you, but Shrek? That was more a mix of fairytale spinoff and everyman wacky sidekick. He doesn't really say or do anything more extraordinary than Shrek does. Except maybe hook up with the dragon, but that just might be an open mind paying off when you try to understand someone who seems scary.

...recalling that, Shrek 2 had some surprisingly interesting moments, and I may recall them better having rewatched it with hilariously bad foreign subtitles. (where once Shrek pretends to be a union rep he never quite gets out of the act) The 'Ever After' potion that basically makes people into what they 'should' be; hulking ogre Shrek becomes a 'loveable oaf' baby-face kind of fairytale hero, Donkey becomes a great white stallion (a bit ironic given a stubborn donkey is the perfect steed for the kind of character it turned Shrek into) and so on. It was a pretty good extension of the original movie's deconstructive parody of fairy-tales and general Hollywood good-guy/bad-guy aesthetics. I have no idea what the next few movies were like, the marketing was incomprehensible.

In both roles he's the non-threatening side kick who helps the protagonist at their lowest point with unexpected wisdom. I admit it's a stretch, but I'm going to stick to it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
4 had an interesting deconstruction of the nature of pre-ordained True Love where in the continuity where Shrek never existed Fiona had to rescue herself as her true love was never there to rescue her. Wound up joining with a band of Ogres and hiding her human half in a reversal of the first movie. Other than that and Rumplestiltskin being a rather fun villain it didn't have that much to it, but it was interesting. I compare it to Puss in Boots because they both were expected to be bad, but honestly I don't think either actually turned out that way. Also while everyone hated 3 I enjoyed the jokes with the Princesses, they were funny characters in an otherwise dull narrative.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The technical term is "Bagger Vancian caster."

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The technical term is "Bagger Vancian caster."

Oh man, I just want to celebrate that pun.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Noted white hero Mulan

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Not a TV episode, but I was thinking about Weird Al recently and one of his songs, The Night Santa Went Crazy has aged badly in that no one in the US of twenty years ago knew that "gyped" was a racial slur. There's probably some other stuff with the same problem.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

Not a TV episode, but I was thinking about Weird Al recently and one of his songs, The Night Santa Went Crazy has aged badly in that no one in the US of twenty years ago knew that "gyped" was a racial slur. There's probably some other stuff with the same problem.

Most people in the US now don't know gyped is a racial slur.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Or come across Romani People in general. I remember someone honestly thinking it was a fantasy race of some sort!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kunster posted:

Or come across Romani People in general. I remember someone honestly thinking it was a fantasy race of some sort!

Artsy white girls love to say they have gypsy souls too which makes no sense to me

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kunster posted:

This reminds me that narwhals really exist.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Beachcomber posted:

There's also the much more recent Word Crimes, where he uses the word "spastic", which is absoluely a "no don't do this" slur against disabled people in many places, especially the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kunster posted:

It doesn't help there's a fair few fantasy settings that more or less literally have gypsies or counterparts as a fantasy race.

And possibly as a result of the lack of pressure to not be so publicly racist about roma people coming out of the USA, a shitload of people in europe will get amazingly racist when they come up with no self-awareness.

Weirdly enough, the most prominent Roma fictional character I can think of is Victor von Doom. His ethnicity is actually something of a redeeming feature, as Latveria is known to be a safe haven for Roma people, and he has a real grudge against the Red Skull and other nazi-aligned villains for obvious reasons.