Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Imagine if you will,

The lone Tiger tank, Star Citizen, valiantly fighting against the swarm of lowly T-34 AAA games. Commander CDProjekt Red or Commander Rockstar might be good enough to take the Tiger on, on a good day.

But the Tiger bows to no publisher, and finally achieves AAAA status as the final solution to gaming sweeps across the world.

Yes but does Star Citizen pass the "Oh bugger the game is on fire" test?

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
And at the end of this new tank-focused variant of SC, and Brad Pitt/Chris Roberts is done, Lando hides under the destroyed wreck of CIG and some kindhearted goon spots him but gives him a pass.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

As a quick question to you and others here that DO KNOW this stuff. Does Amazon's Lumber Yard do well with networking? In other words, is it Lumberyard being choked by CIG's Frankenengine or is it an incompatibility with it?

According to Amazon themselves, the network system they’ve built is not designed for a persistent MMO environment. At least not currently.

So yet again, right out of the box, Chris Roberts is just saying “but yuh huh! You just didn’t try hard enough!” directly to the company that actually built the network system.

So chances are high that when CIG moved to Lumberyard, they just brought their same arena type networking and had to fix it to run on an AWS cloud, and probably gave up shortly after they realized they lacked skill to do more.

Unfortunately for a lot of groups new to AWS and cloud computing, they think they can sacrifice smart coding practices and intelligent network design by increasing the processing power and throughput of their server, and sometimes up to a point this actually works; but it kills them in the long run because their growth was tied to how fast they can make a cluster, and there is a cap. Once people reach that cap, reality hits them in the face like a freight train.

I’m not a game developer though, but I’ve developed cloud architecture and this method of thinking persists a lot unfortunately. I have no reason to believe CR doesn’t think he can fix everything by throwing more computer power at it from the cloud.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Warhawk109 posted:

T-34 is overrated. Poor optics, no commanders cupola, commander had to double as loader. Germans were wrecking soviet tanks early in the war at something like a 9:1 kd ratio.

Yeah, exactly, and they still managed to lose. T-34 is definitely overrated by many people, it's a piece of poo poo machine in many ways, with a few smart design choices like sloped armour thrown in, but when you can just keep throwing tanks at your enemy until their entire motorpool is in shambles purely through wear and tear, it doesn't matter.

It's basically how I win my civilization games. I'm bad doing smart tactics, so I just keep building mech infs, howitzers and aegis cruisers through the power of communism and stalin's industry bonus and no matter how much poo poo I lose to your smart ambushes or whatever, all your poo poo now has half hit points left and my other 80% of the army are still going to arrive before you can repair/replace them. :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bet you loved Ready Player One.

I still love how that book jerks off CIG at one point.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

The Titanic posted:

According to Amazon themselves, the network system they’ve built is not designed for a persistent MMO environment. At least not currently.

So yet again, right out of the box, Chris Roberts is just saying “but yuh huh! You just didn’t try hard enough!” directly to the company that actually built the network system.

So chances are high that when CIG moved to Lumberyard, they just brought their same arena type networking and had to fix it to run on an AWS cloud, and probably gave up shortly after they realized they lacked skill to do more.

Unfortunately for a lot of groups new to AWS and cloud computing, they think they can sacrifice smart coding practices and intelligent network design by increasing the processing power and throughput of their server, and sometimes up to a point this actually works; but it kills them in the long run because their growth was tied to how fast they can make a cluster, and there is a cap. Once people reach that cap, reality hits them in the face like a freight train.

I’m not a game developer though, but I’ve developed cloud architecture and this method of thinking persists a lot unfortunately. I have no reason to believe CR doesn’t think he can fix everything by throwing more computer power at it from the cloud.

This is basically the story of Crackdown 3 as well...
(Well that and it turns out that fully destructible environments makes mission designing hard, who knew?)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

In theory it does. It has something called GridMate which has built-in tools to do server-authoritative networking, and it's backed by AWS's pretty dope-rear end auto-scaling back-end. I'm 100% sure CIG is not using GridMate at all, especially after the most recent bugsmashers showed that. No, CIG has their own netcode goin' on, and the only thing that could eclipse its inadequacy is how hard it would be to swap out.

So AWS Lumberyard stuff now supports mmo functionality out of the box? I’m all kinds of out of date! :)

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Preen Dog posted:

This guy is legit amazing. He filled 9 full minutes, emphatic and believable, bragging about how they spent man-weeks (and writing a separate exe for testing) tuning the acceleration curve of the hyperspacing ships. Literally, how fast do we want to lerp to the jump destination and what particle effects should play for different speeds. The guy fully understands that this is an inexcusable waste of time while critical features and bugs are ignored, but he still manages to come across as a visionary code-philosopher doing God's work.

And the painstakingly made notes, a-la Se7en. It's beautiful.

I don't know what it is about this chap, but he plucks the "root for the underdog" string in me.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

They really need low latency. What I'd do is have a GSLB on static proximity and then hit a close VPC running low latency compute units - spin up 10x and drop the half that test low. Then you can _either_ run back to a loving huge memory-based RDS instance, or, more horrifyingly, attempt to run a database cluster with some write-level caching. If you shard, just throw a database close to the PoP.

Biggest problem for their current claim is that they're talking about instancing without geography, which means that a crewmember in the UK will be instanced with someone in South Africa; Geographical sharding is the easiest answer, but...

The trouble is that I keep hearing about them using compute and nobody is talking network.

Edit: data point for you. GameLift's 'feature' is that you can use a large EC2 instance and virtualize your sessions on it. It's still session-based, and the only people I can find that are using it are mobile games at the moment. They _still_ suffer from networking issues because you can saturate virtualized hosts much quicker.

Lladre posted:

I don't know what it is about this chap, but he plucks the "root for the underdog" string in me.

He's trying against impossible odds; how can you not be an infracaniphile?

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 10, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Imagine if you will,

The lone Tiger tank, Star Citizen, valiantly fighting against the swarm of lowly T-34 AAA games. Commander CDProjekt Red or Commander Rockstar might be good enough to take the Tiger on, on a good day.

But the Tiger bows to no publisher, and finally achieves AAAA status as the final solution to gaming sweeps across the world.

I was always more of a P-51 guy…

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think P-51 would be a much better plane with some cannons and less clipped wings.

So basically, spitfire. :v:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Same, except Stuka.

Just mulling a couple of things, but I think it's kinda important to note that they're going to need some operating costs for this after it launches, and traditionally, that early surge falls off extremely early.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Tippis posted:

I always had a weird liking for the P-39 myself. Just for that 30 rounds of "ruin someone elses day"

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tank Citizen thread is good btw keep it up goons.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Warhawk109 posted:

T-34 is overrated. Poor optics, no commanders cupola, commander had to double as loader. Germans were wrecking soviet tanks early in the war at something like a 9:1 kd ratio.

Thanks Warhawk, I didn't feel like continuing the discussion too much as military history is propably the second most fanboy riddled discussion after video games.

I am very much a proponent of German heavy arms design as it's kinds my job but it's usually not worth to go down the route of what was better in a war 80 years ago on an internet discussion

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

As a quick question to you and others here that DO KNOW this stuff. Does Amazon's Lumber Yard do well with networking? In other words, is it Lumberyard being choked by CIG's Frankenengine or is it an incompatibility with it?

Nobody knows, since there are currently NO RELEASED GAMES that use LumberYard. The engine, as a whole, is all very experimental - and still in Beta.

What I do know is that the CryEngine networking layer was always rubbish; and isn't something that they were actively interesting in improving because most of the games the engine targeted, with simple 16-player games, with lobbies. Forget about loving MMOs.

And in the latest LY build, they even deprecated the entire CryEngine network layer in favor of their own. Which makes sense, since AWS is network-centric and they would have top tier network engineers there.

The LumberYard engine was never designed for MMO games. At all. Even AMZ states this clearly in their docs and faqs about what the engine is designed to do, and the limitations/strengths of the networking component.

Whoever wants to use LY for MMO games, is i) one dumb sumbitch ii) an incompetent moron

I suspect that in the switch from CE3.x to LY, they ended up using the LY implementation, which would require them to strip the now deprecated CE3.x networking layer they were using in their Frankenengine.

There was also indication that they were either using, or planning to use this experimental bullshit (in comparison to SDKs like RakNet or ReplicaNet) call yojimbo which they were Golden backers of. If they did end up using it, loving :laffo: because it explains everything.

Star Citizen was never designed to be an MMO. They have missed that boat. They're never - ever - going to get there because it's too late now. And the premise of them even attempting it, would mean a code/maintenance freeze of maybe TWO loving YEARS to re-jigger everything. When you consider that the last 2.6.3 patch was in April, and 3.0 is now almost a year late - and will be more than that eventually - it's easy to see how completely and totally hosed they are.

As I wrote here, an MMO architecture is not the sort of thing you just tack on at any time during development. The best they could have even got away with, was how Elite Dangerous - which isn't an MMO - did it. And that was a phenomenal fit of engineering, given how it works, the world size etc. AND it has a ton of caveats, regardless.

If they are now testing 60 client sessions, it's not because they magically came up with new networking tech (note that it's not listed anywhere in the dev schedule) at the spur of the moment. It's because they have realized that the AWS instances (these are the different tiers) they were usingvfor severs, are simply incapable of handling the additional poo poo that 3.0 is now throwing at it. Unfortunately for them, moving to higher tier AWS instances is not only going to cost them money, but it's also NOT going to solve the networking/connectivity problem. It's just going to solve the server's ability to just gently caress off and die at some point. And it was doing just that - CONSISTENTLY - in the tests they just had.

To get a better understanding of what it takes to build an MMO using cloud tech - the dumbest thing to do since we elected a moron as POTUS - is to read these resources.

Using the cloud to build a MMORPG <-- This is theoretical and shows you what's possible, not that it's possible for a real-time game, with high fidelity visuals etc

Building a World in the Clouds: MMO Architecture on AWS (MBL304) | AWS <-- This is how Firefall did it. Multiplayer was pure poo poo. And the game died. As did the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJPyjmfdz0 <--- This is how Frontier did it. And they don't even try to do anything more than 32 clients within a "bubble/island"

They're completely and utterly hosed; and Star Citizen will never - ever - be an MMO. Backers should just pray that they are one day able to play with 32 of their friends in a session. loving :lol: if they all have multi-crew ships.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

In theory it does. It has something called GridMate which has built-in tools to do server-authoritative networking, and it's backed by AWS's pretty dope-rear end auto-scaling back-end. I'm 100% sure CIG is not using GridMate at all, especially after the most recent bugsmashers showed that. No, CIG has their own netcode goin' on, and the only thing that could eclipse its inadequacy is how hard it would be to swap out.

GridMate has nothing to do with MMO technology. But that's not going to stop some devs from trying it. They will need all the luck in the world in order to pull it off.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/gamedev/tag/gridmate/

quote:

Networking engineers can use the updated multiplayer gem to get started building multiplayer games faster—you can now set up a multiplayer lobby using the Lumberyard Flow Graph, with no C++ code required. You’ll also see a networking component added to Lumberyard, so you can implement multiplayer features using the new Component Entity System. We’ve made additions to the GridMate API to expose the ability to reuse EC2 instances with Amazon GameLift, resulting in your game needing fewer instances, and reducing your costs. We’ve also updated the user-interface of the preview of the Cloud Canvas Resource Manager so you can more easily create, update, and delete deployments without risking changes to your game’s other deployments. This reduces the risk that you can accidentally make a change to your release version when you only intend for your QA version to get that change.

What is GridMate?

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/network-intro.html

quote:

GridMate is Lumberyard's networking subsystem. GridMate is designed for efficient bandwidth usage and low-latency communications. You can synchronize objects over the network with GridMate's replica framework. GridMate's session management integrates with major online console services and lets you handle peer-to-peer and client-server topologies with host migration. GridMate also supports in-game achievements, leaderboards, and cloud-based saved games through third-party social services such as Xbox Live and Steam. For an example of how to set up a multiplayer project, see Multiplayer Sample in the Amazon Lumberyard User Guide.

GridMate is a multiplatform library that enables you to easily add online features to your games. The GridMate API library has two general categories: network synchronization and online platforms. Each API is designed to be modular and extensible. Services can be enabled independently of each other, and different implementations can be provided for each API. Optional features are implemented as plugins for ease of customization. GridMate is built on top of Lumberyard’s AzCore library. Service APIs are implemented using EBuses (AzCore’s implementation of signal/slots) to improve modularity and extensibility. All GridMate allocations are piped through two specific allocators: GridMateAllocatorMP is used for allocations from the network synchronization APIs. GridMateAllocator is used for all other allocations, such as those from the online platform APIs and core system allocations. GridMate also supports debugging through AzCore’s Driller framework. All network and replication events are reported and can be captured for logging and debugging purposes.

Can I use GameLift to develop an Instance-Based MMO?

quote:

The scenario you describe would work. Instead of the game clients interacting with the GameLift API to query for specific maps and other configurations, your MMO game server would act as a middle-man.

A player would request to join an instance from your game server, and your game server would talk to GameLift through the API to make sure servers with the appropriate maps and other settings were available, and then passing players the connection details.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 10, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Man, this tank chat is absolute poo poo and full of dumb opinions and I normally love tank chat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Man, this derek smart forumsblog post is absolute poo poo and full of dumb opinions.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So when will Star Citizen tank?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

Once the Germans give up

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Man, this tank chat is absolute poo poo and full of dumb opinions and I normally love tank chat.

Good tank chat:

The "Büffel" pioneer tank is the only vehicle in existence that can lift out and replace it's own engine without additional support.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tankhunters/Tankkillers: Good or bad?

trollface

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Once Chris gets another movie deal or a mocap/vfx gig that he thinks will sustain his lifestyle and the whale milk dries up, Star Citizen will be put on hold until the computing world catches up to his vision. Not cancelled, mind you, but on indefinite hold. Backers can still play whatever happens to be in place, but no refunds, because he really will get back to finish it - promise.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Nobody knows, since there are currently NO RELEASED GAMES that use LumberYard. The engine, as a whole, is all very experimental - and still in Beta.

What I do know is that the CryEngine networking layer was always rubbish; and isn't something that they were actively interesting in improving because most of the games the engine targeted, with simple 16-player games, with lobbies. Forget about loving MMOs.

And in the latest LY build, they even deprecated the entire CryEngine network layer in favor of their own. Which makes sense, since AWS is network-centric and they would have top tier network engineers there.

The LumberYard engine was never designed for MMO games. At all. Even AMZ states this clearly in their docs and faqs about what the engine is designed to do, and the limitations/strengths of the networking component.

Whoever wants to use LY for MMO games, is i) one dumb sumbitch ii) an incompetent moron

I suspect that in the switch from CE3.x to LY, they ended up using the LY implementation, which would require them to strip the now deprecated CE3.x networking layer they were using in their Frankenengine.

There was also indication that they were either using, or planning to use this experimental bullshit (in comparison to SDKs like RakNet or ReplicaNet) call yojimbo which they were Golden backers of. If they did end up using it, loving :laffo: because it explains everything.

Star Citizen was never designed to be an MMO. They have missed that boat. They're never - ever - going to get there because it's too late now. And the premise of them even attempting it, would mean a code/maintenance freeze of maybe TWO loving YEARS to re-jigger everything. When you consider that the last 2.6.3 patch was in April, and 3.0 is now almost a year late - and will be more than that eventually - it's easy to see how completely and totally hosed they are.

As I wrote here, an MMO architecture is not the sort of thing you just tack on at any time during development. The best they could have even got away with, was how Elite Dangerous - which isn't an MMO - did it. And that was a phenomenal fit of engineering, given how it works, the world size etc. AND it has a ton of caveats, regardless.

If they are now testing 60 client sessions, it's not because they magically came up with new networking tech (note that it's not listed anywhere in the dev schedule) at the spur of the moment. It's because they have realized that the AWS instances (these are the different tiers) they were usingvfor severs, are simply incapable of handling the additional poo poo that 3.0 is now throwing at it. Unfortunately for them, moving to higher tier AWS instances is not only going to cost them money, but it's also NOT going to solve the networking/connectivity problem. It's just going to solve the server's ability to just gently caress off and die at some point. And it was doing just that - CONSISTENTLY - in the tests they just had.

To get a better understanding of what it takes to build an MMO using cloud tech - the dumbest thing to do since we elected a moron as POTUS - is to read these resources.

Using the cloud to build a MMORPG <-- This is theoretical and shows you what's possible, not that it's possible for a real-time game, with high fidelity visuals etc

Building a World in the Clouds: MMO Architecture on AWS (MBL304) | AWS <-- This is how Firefall did it. Multiplayer was pure poo poo. And the game died. As did the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJPyjmfdz0 <--- This is how Frontier did it. And they don't even try to do anything more than 32 clients within a "bubble/island"

They're completely and utterly hosed; and Star Citizen will never - ever - be an MMO. Backers should just pray that they are one day able to play with 32 of their friends in a session. loving :lol: if they all have multi-crew ships.

quote:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

they are gonna point to this and justify whatever state the MVP is in when they finally run out of money and give up.

It is such weasely horse poo poo it is amazing. I think the last bit is my favorite part

Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Preen Dog posted:

This guy is legit amazing. He filled 9 full minutes, emphatic and believable, bragging about how they spent man-weeks (and writing a separate exe for testing) tuning the acceleration curve of the hyperspacing ships. Literally, how fast do we want to lerp to the jump destination and what particle effects should play for different speeds. The guy fully understands that this is an inexcusable waste of time while critical features and bugs are ignored, but he still manages to come across as a visionary code-philosopher doing God's work.

And the painstakingly made notes, a-la Se7en. It's beautiful.

I mean he is basically Ulililia with a job so

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Truga posted:

I think P-51 would be a much better plane with some cannons and less clipped wings.

I've come to loathe the narrow landing gear of the spit, otherwise yes.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 10, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
What do the tank crews call infantry?

Speed bumps :tipshat:

A Tiger drives into a bar....

And it collapses :tipshat:

Why were the Tiger and Panther running away?

A Maus was chasing them.:tipshat:

How many gears does an Italian tank have?

6. >1 forward, 5 backward.:tipshat:

Okay I'm done. :colbert:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
The primary issue holding Star Citizen back, in my mind, is not related to technology per se.

You can write a 900-page blog about how it's impossible or extraordinarily difficult. (Note to self: somebody might have already written one, I have to look into that.)

We can watch their horrific development practices and constant missteps all day and show that each one, by itself, stops Star Citizen from coming out, much less considering all the mistakes in aggregate.

But none of that matters. The primary issue that keeps Star Citizen from releasing is that their monetization scheme runs in 100% opposition to releasing a game, or even fixing what they have.

Many things need to be gutted to the core and either reworked or rebuilt from the ground up, but that can't happen because it must be 3.0, then 3.1, etc. The backers must continue to see numbers go up, and iterations of the current build continuing apace, or the funding is threatened.

The entire flight model needs reworking, before the finalized pretty models are put in, but that can't happen, because the finished models are what they're selling - not the game.

They're selling finalized game assets and the illusion of progress, and that decision doomed the game. Any course correction at this point threatens to sink the incoming funds, and then it's truly over.

That is the true E.L.E. - the point of no return they reached at some point in the last couple years when they had the chance to go back and do it right, and chose instead to forge ahead with a broken system. Now that the funding and the development efforts are fully opposed, it's only a matter of time before they collide.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Breetai posted:

I know that by admitting this I'm announcing a loss as I'm letting myself get caremad about stupid nerd culture bullshit, but there's a particular type of pop culture nerd who just loooves the idea of mashing up multiple geek IPs together and will breathlessly gush about :siren:"WOULDN'T IT BE SO COOL IF HARRY POTTER COULD BE IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE AND ALSO THE XENOMORPH FROM ALIENS WAS THERE?!?":siren:, and it really annoys me. The thought process appears to be 'I like X and I like Y, therefore if X and Y were together it would be EVEN MORE awesome".

But all it really does is betray a shallow-to-nonexistent understanding of what makes their preferred movie/book/whatever good. It shows a paucity of knowledge with regards to the concept of tone or theme in fictional works. Which is fine when you're 10 and the reason you like Starship Troopers is you get to watch the Good Guys shoot the bugs, but when you're a grown adult and you don't understand that Captain Kirk beaming down to King's Landing is going to be poo poo, it's a problem. And it's an even bigger problem when you're directing a multimillion dollar video game.

So yeah: put in a sandworm because you like sandworms because they're big and scary. And put in the planet from pitch black. And put in a Blade Runner cityscape. And put in Space Rome and Space China and service means citizenship. Surely your messianic horror cyberpunk space opera with social commentary won't be a jumbled mess.

Or at least in this case it won't because Roberts is adding them in with no regard to their thematic content nor to the context that they were originally displayed in. It's a sizzle reel approach where he's including things without understanding them because he thinks they're cool.

Sci-fi video game creator Chris Roberts doesn't understand the first loving thing about sci-fi, and neither does his audience.

This post is 100% correct and proper. It’s also empirically accurate as shown in a 49 year scientific study performed by me enduring nerds doing this crap.

:five:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

his nibs posted:

Okay I'm done. :colbert:

No you're not. I've seen this before and once it starts it never ends.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

No you're not. I've seen this before and once it starts it never ends.

I stole them from World of Tanks forum

:negative:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/929016788213407744

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/929016306677972992

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Is that a NES Laser Scope?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

Good tank chat:

The "Büffel" pioneer tank is the only vehicle in existence that can lift out and replace it's own engine without additional support.

this post makes up for all the other dead gay tank chat

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

D_Smart posted:

&c.

I was all primed to goof on the WWII chitty chat and then this happened. Come back tank-strokers. All is forgiven.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

The Titanic posted:

That has been my experience as well. Granted the last project I designed was 3 years ago and after that launched I haven't bothered with the latest IT/Networking trends as I finally got out of the IT world and worked on the farms the past couple years. But I remember 10 years ago talking, especially with Ruby on Rails developers, about how they planned their infrastructure and heard a lot of "oh but you see this will scale auto-magically if we use XYZ hosting". I made quite a bit of money for a couple years redesigning the backend for a couple projects.

That being said I'm glad I'm out of IT. Although not sure what I'm going to be doing next year because we leased our farms rather than spend $1M buying newer equipment. Still looking at getting my real estate license and getting into rental property. Also thinking about getting my CFI and doing the flight instructor thing. Might end up doing both.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Truga posted:

I was always a P-47 guy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

MilesK posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but my understanding is maintenance mode is fixing minor bugs until you finish your secret dev build jesus patch or the software just dies completely. While I think either option would've been better for SC, they seem to have just kept on developing on top of their same broken pre-alpha demo for years now.

I'm not defending Derek, I'm the first one to make fun of him, but I've talked about this in the past and I think what he said was accurate at the time.

:siren::siren:Now I will channel Derek:siren::siren:

This is all rambling speculation though about what went on behind the scenes. I've formed my opinion by passively watching this shitshow for a few years now and am taking into account things like CIGs own marketing, their tweets, their ATVs and interviews. Also things like the leaks and this threads analysis at every decision and action they take.

My theory is this:

Due to CIG constantly promising things and being unable to deliver I think Chris Roberts around December 2015 was certain of a early to mid two year late 2016 release for Squadron 42 which is where the real money is at. Since he has talked in interviews about expecting ridiculously impossible numbers of sales for it to the tune of a quarter billion dollars it's reasonable to make that the focus of your company if you are a big enough lunatic to think it's going to be that profitable.

Leading up to that was a nonstop barrage of videos about motion capture for Squadron 42 and the actors. Slides about the amazing script. Leaks about all the work going into it and how much work there was actually to do on Squadron 42. All Chris ever wanted to talk about was Squadron 42. Answer the call.

So in early 2016 we did get a few new patches to the PU. These patches started getting less and less substantial from 2.1. Eventually they were slight modifications anyone that has ever modded a game would instantly recognize. Adjusting values of things.

Then the maintenance mode thing comes up here in March. Not necessarily whatever the official terminology for a "maintenance mode" on a piece of software would be but that the PU was only being worked on to keep up appearances. All focus and resources were going to Squadron 42 but the PU is what cultists have paid for.

As 2016 started progressing you started having longer and longer time for even more and more insignificant patches. After about 6-7 months the maintenance mode and reduced consideration for the PU was proven to be exactly correct since it started taking multiple months to get slight tweaks to flight speed or camera movement. 2.5 in August was virtually identical to 2.0 from December of the previous year. I'm sure cultists would point at the hilarious patch notes or compile huge lists of how adjusting the ammunition in a gun or the top speed of something totally disproves my point but if you aren't a crazy idiot arguing for a belief you can see the actual changes from 2.0 -> 2.5 which were the definition of treading water or "maintenance mode."

Meanwhile you still saw Mark Hamill and Squadron 42 actors tweeting about their still ongoing motion capture up until July of that year.

Gamescom comes around and you have an obvious and proven fake scripted demo in cryeditor.exe to make even more money. Money flows in. Citcon rolls around and in addition to another obvious and proven fake scripted demo in cryeditor.exe you have Squadron 42's appearance cancelled for unexplained reasons. The Leaks had been progressively mentioning a reduced scope in Squadron 42 which was to try and get out "The Prelude." A smaller and cut up version of Squadron 42s content to try and sell it.

After that the holiday sale rolls around and CIG manages to poo poo out Star Marine.

Once 2017 hit Squadron 42 isn't being talked about much anymore. Work probably progressed on it or The Prelude until early this year and at some point the idea had to have been abandoned. I tend to think that all the leaks about how ridiculous the animation data was were correct. Especially when you consider the slides putting this at 10x the speaking roles of actual studio releases of animated films. Chris Roberts had wanted to make a movie and had generated 90% footage and 10% gameplay with most of his budget and the footage was largely worthless due to the work required to turn tens of millions of dollars of motion capture data into anything resembling a game with a narrative that he could sell for $60.

Leaks turned to Squadron 42 being combined with the persistent universe. All outward focus from CIG switches to 3.0 and delivering something that resembles the fake demos they sold last year.

I think they have shifted along this path

- Planning to develop both games simultaneously with 4 studios
(time passes)
- Already past their release date with tens of millions in Squadron 42, complete focus on finish it (Maintenance Mode PU)
(time passes)
- Unable to deal with the hilarious clusterfuck Chris Roberts filmed, scope is reduced and a smaller step will be taken toward Squadron 42, further forgetting the PU (Prelude, A year without patches)
(time passes)
- Development of anything to do with petabytes of mocap footage becomes so expensive that the forgotten PU is now front and center to make money (Fake Demos late 2016)
(a lot of time passes)
- Once the main 2017 sales start getting closer CIG starts producing more fake demos but is now apparently struggling to develop something that actually resembles them. (3.0) Work has obviously just started on it sometime recently but they are running with it 100% and are no longer talking about Squadron 42. Due to almost bankrupting the company on Squadron 42 for years their last resort is a broken tech demo they had largely been ignoring. It's all they have and that leads us to now where they are frantically trying to cram more features into an ancient engine they should have never used in the first place.

It's a shame that we have to speculate so much about what is actually happening at THE WORLD'S MOST OPEN GAME DEVELOPMENT STUDIO. I'm pretty confident about that chain of events and if I was as crazy as Derek i would probably look up all the supporting tweets and information for each step but I don't care enough to spend an eternity digging through endless amounts of bullshit to highlight my points.