Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

who is winning the match?

i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i generated a handful of accelerated-start games to see if one of them would be reasonably fair. i've got one so far that definitely doesn't completely suck. i also have some interesting findings on what happens when you pick the Time Warp rule:

the biggest challenge re: picking a good starting setup is that the game is very bad at placing bases and often populates them beyond what the surrounding nutrients can support. it's also very bad at terraforming and doesn't seem to place forests.

accelerated start actually fast-forwards to some decade from 2130 to 2180 and gives you more bases the later you start (2130 gets 3 bases, 2180 gets at least 5). everyone is assigned a random early secret project.

you get techs based on total accumulated research points (kinda hazy on how this actually works). if you have the first turn they're all just assigned to you at once, but if you go second or later you get a popup for every breakthrough and prompts about changing your research priorities, so you can sort of steer which techs you start with. kinda goofy stuff can happen here, like for a later start the more research-heavy factions might begin the game with needlejets and supply crawlers while the other guys are left in the dust.

all the factions have each other's comms frequencies, so I think there'd be a planetary council meeting at the soonest opportunity. the multiplayer comms system works a little differently since you're doing it asynchronously, but you can offer/demand energy and techs and what have you.

e: it'd be OK to do a normal 1-base start too, if that's what most people would prefer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if we do accelerated start do i still automatically capture my first mind worm?

and how am i gonna rush pods?

these are the whole goddamn reason i picked the hippie earth sisters :cmon:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I sort of want to own all of my awful mistakes on this one, I mean that's what undergrad was all about right guys

Also this is me stating my intention to role play my faction from here on out

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

here are some really basic rules:

- since voting for planetary council meetings happens asynchronously, if you trigger a meeting you need to notify everyone else what issue is up for voting and who has how many votes so that later players have a fair chance to bribe and manipulate early players. making posts in this thread would be cool.
- limit of one social engineering change per line per turn
- don't exploit whatever vestigal faction AI is left in the game's comms interface to screw over your fellow players
- don't do fuckery that makes your units instantly elite or able to shoot infinitely far or stuff like that

- if you can't play anymore, please tell someone so we can get a replacement and the game doesn't just lamely peter out
- feel free to post about funny things that you see or do in-game here
- be chill, cool, and not a jerk

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

also i'll need an email from everyone so i can set up the turn-order chain

PM me, or email me as glorgnole at gmail. it'll be available to other players (but not posted publicly) so you probably shouldn't use your jamescj@cia.gov address.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

how am i going to rush the weather paradigm in an accelerated start???

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

imo you should do one accelerated start, at AD2400, and then start again from planetfall

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

imo you should do one accelerated start, at AD2400, and then start again from planetfall

the late-game tech situation is kinda weird because if you're able to research gravity mechanics or w/e before 2400 you're probably researching fast enough to obsolete your fancy new armor and weapons every 3 turns. things get crazy if you build a dedicated science base and manage to give it all those secret projects that compoundingly double your local research output.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i've got a planetfall start that doesn't obviously suck. hate it when i start in a desert or on a tiny island, even if you get a transport foil right off the bat.

i have emails from Luigi Thirty, anthonypants, cheese-cube, Sagebrush, Improbable Lobster, OldAlias and Cazlab everyone for the first heap, and Boiled Water, Cheekio, and i guess me for the second heap

(i think i might have other people too but it's late and i'm tired and i don't want to dig through old messages right now)

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 10, 2017

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I will be waiting impatiently for the final recap gif with the game getting to the end with every single inch covered by bases but the planet getting obliterated in an impromptu exchange of planetbusters

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

email sent

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

If one were inclined, how would one troll the rest of the players the hardest. You know, within the game rules, not just disappearing

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Cheekio posted:

If one were inclined, how would one troll the rest of the players the hardest. You know, within the game rules, not just disappearing

play the game well i would assume

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lightbulb Out posted:

either that or changing the file to give yourself more resources or units or w/e

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Cheekio posted:

there are a couple of classics but they rely on getting lots of council votes or secret projects or energy credits or minerals or w/e so it all just comes down to

Lightbulb Out posted:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

The best troll is a game well played.

That being probably not going to happen I'm thiking I'm going to name my cities goo.gl addresses and you'll just have to go to them to find out they're all goatse.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

as chairman yang of the 36th chamber im already planning on naming my cities after members and themes of the wu-tang clan

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

cheese-cube posted:

as chairman yang of the 36th chamber im already planning on naming my cities after members and themes of the wu-tang clan

im rooting for this guy to bring the ruckus and defeat all of u

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

im rooting for this guy to bring the ruckus and defeat all of u

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
wish i could commit to this but single player is more my speed. i would hate to be that guy who is always taking forever to take his turn.

btw the best way to troll in this would be to save-scum 100% of your turns (in parallel) so that you win all battles that you initiate. then commit only the sav file where you insta-gib every enemy unit

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Playing as Chairman Yang and just ICS is pretty trolly, especially if he gets the +1 Talent/base secret project or finds the rain forest. The Morganites running Free Market and finding the bore-hole cluster is pretty funny. Using helicoptors, at all. (they are the best unit in the game).

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I just wish to play as I live my life: deriving joy from the chagrin of others.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

doing hit-and-run probe teams with believers can be hilarious. also it's already been mentioned but gaians all-in on psy with mind worms will just decimate anyone who isn't prepared for it (remember to mix psy-resistant units into your army!)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the only thing missing is an email for OldAlias, who promised to make a burner like a week ago. other than that i think everything else is good to go for the first group.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Playing as Chairman Yang and just ICS is pretty trolly, especially if he gets the +1 Talent/base secret project or finds the rain forest. The Morganites running Free Market and finding the bore-hole cluster is pretty funny. Using helicoptors, at all. (they are the best unit in the game).

a cool trick is to make an air superiority helicopter to shoot down needlejets stuck in your airspace after bombing stuff (choppers are extremely good)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

sent

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yessss lets do this!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

retrospective lomarf from nearly a month ago:

Glorgnole posted:

i was hoping we could get this going in like a week or so. anyways, see ya!

it's time to kick this off! i sent out some emails. everyone should have access to a google sheet with player names, factions, and emails. treat that one as correct if i typed the wrong thing somewhere else.

the turn order is:

Pirates - Cazlab
Gaians - Sagebrush
University- Luigi Thirty
Hive - cheese-cube
Drones - Improbable Lobster
Believers - OldAlias
Spartans - AnthonyPants

decided to use a standard non-accelerated start. might be sort of tedious for a bit but it doesn't preclude expansionist strategies and early-game shenanigans.

in general, let me know if something's screwed up or not working out. like, if it turns out that you really hate the idea of emailing a save around we can try something else.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

alright, first turn taken and passed off.
hope i didn't screw it up.
yell at me if i did.

(it's funny GMR was being lovely a few weeks ago and i was like "i should make a game agnostic PBEM facilitator," it doesn't seem that bad passing it around manually, though.)

yo hoho and a bottle of spacerum!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
All that :effort: and Smoka didn't even get a slot?

:(

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

we could probably grab him for the 2nd round. i've talked to him about it, he just hasn't posted here yet.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Cazlab posted:

(it's funny GMR was being lovely a few weeks ago and i was like "i should make a game agnostic PBEM facilitator," it doesn't seem that bad passing it around manually, though.)

just allow only one player at a time to commit the save, and have a big button that says "click when you're absolutely done with your turn" that advances commit privileges to the next player. totally simple to implement and nothing at all could ever go wrong!

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

just allow only one player at a time to commit the save, and have a big button that says "click when you're absolutely done with your turn" that advances commit privileges to the next player. totally simple to implement and nothing at all could ever go wrong!

i was thinking using a blockchain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

talking the talk but not walking the walk is kinda smoka's modus operandi

i just played my turn as the hippies and sent the save on to luigi thirty. here we go :toot:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the University is in business baby, save file sent to the Hive

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'm getting ERROR READING FILE when trying to open it :(

already sent an e-mail back to you Luigi30

UPDATE: lol i'm an idiot and didn't notice that when you launch SMAC via GOG Galaxy it only launches the base game and not the expansion. launching terranx.exe manually sorted it!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 11, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just played my first turn however i must have hosed something up as it gave me a message about having already played the file and tampering. i swear i only tried to play it.

anyway, save has been sent onto improbablelobster!

edit: jesus i am really an idiot, just re-read glorgnole's e-mail about the save tampering thing so all good.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 11, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

he'd waste all his energy credits on rushing hologram theatres to play anime at his talents, turning them into drones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i just remembered that if you do something like move your scout patrol into fungus you might not actually have anything to do for some of the early turns (other than obsessively micromanage your tiny bases)

in single-player it sometimes just auto-skips those turns so you don't really notice