Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They're not even lampshading the fact that all culture is the twentieth century anymore

Honestly I'm fine with it, Future Music is always so bad in sci-fi that I'm happy they're just using actual music instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

bull3964 posted:

I'm calling it now that the blue guy's culture is totally fine with sleeping around so he feels he hasn't harmed Ed and acts accordingly.

AHEM!

"In my culture, it's rude to turn down sex."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Davros1 posted:

"Maybe"

drat.

Dude realized he hosed up and decided to help.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Dude realized he hosed up and decided to help.

That's how I read it too. There's still the cultural barrier, but he realized what he did wasn't appropriate to human culture and this was the closest he could manage to an apology.

He's still an rear end in a top hat, but he tried.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mokinokaro posted:

That's how I read it too. There's still the cultural barrier, but he realized what he did wasn't appropriate to human culture and this was the closest he could manage to an apology.

He's still an rear end in a top hat, but he tried.

I think he also realized that his pheromones affect other species differently, to the point that Ed was willing to risk interstellar war due to his infatuation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bull3964 posted:

AHEM!

"In my culture, it's rude to turn down sex."

And yet, he still did when there was a great threat, and he did seem upset about breaking up their marriage, so don't pat yourself on the back too hard there.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It wasn't rape-y; It was rape, pure and simple. I feel like the episode should have made that clearer, and there should have been something more than mild bemusement and irritation in response. I also really don't like that our protagonists solved the problem of the week by inflicting sexual assault on the two ambassadors. You can attempt to handwave the behaviour of Rob Lowe's character away and attribute it to cultural differences but the rest of the crew knew exactly what they were doing, and implemented that plan. Then the Captain tells that Nurse that he'll be giving him a commendation for drugging two people so that they'd rape each other.

Edit: I'm actually kinda surprised that Fox decided to air this episode at all, considering recent events.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WampaLord posted:

And yet, he still did when there was a great threat, and he did seem upset about breaking up their marriage, so don't pat yourself on the back too hard there.

Hey, I need a good back pat this week.

I think it was more he was upset that Ed was upset rather than any genuine remorse at breaking up the marriage.

Basically, he's sorry he made Ed upset, not really about the act that made him upset.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The whole "Oh, they have a common ancestor, so they'll have to share the planet!" ending really didn't seem like it solved anything at all. Humans have a common ancestor and we're still pretty lovely about sharing our planet with each other.

After that pheromone wears off, war is starting again.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

WampaLord posted:

The whole "Oh, they have a common ancestor, so they'll have to share the planet!" ending really didn't seem like it solved anything at all. Humans have a common ancestor and we're still pretty lovely about sharing our planet with each other.

They did both agree to abide by the results of the DNA study, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I was more offput by them looking so different after only 30,000 years but I suppose there are any number of possible explanations that don't matter, they were pretty cool designs.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm somewhat speaking out of turn because I haven't watched the episode yet, but isn't it a bit weird to ascribe an outside influence (the pheromones) instead of an internal influence (Grayson being fundamentally lonely because of Ed being a workaholic)?

I get that this could lead to a rather odious rabbit hole of blaming the :females: for adultery, but I've kinda felt that the Orville is the kind of show that doesn't invent a Gimmick Of The Episode to absolve/resolve an issue.

What's worse is they specifically invented it to resolve the issue in a way that would let Mercer and Grayson get back together. That short scene at the very end took the episode from good to poo poo for me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Epicurius posted:

They did both agree to abide by the results of the DNA study, though.

And World War 1 ended with a peace treaty and an agreement that we wouldn't do another war like that ever again.

Oops.

The Bloop posted:

I was more offput by them looking so different after only 30,000 years but I suppose there are any number of possible explanations that don't matter, they were pretty cool designs.

:techno: Temporal radiation bounced off a solar wind nebula and sped up their evolution. :techno:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That short scene at the very end took the episode from good to poo poo for me.
Will they/ won't they in the vein of Mulder/Scully is much more feasible now and I don't really see a problem with that. They won't because it would mean she couldn't be his XO any more, but the temptation is now more plausible. It might happen if either leaves the show, though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Will they/ won't they in the vein of Mulder/Scully is much more feasible now and I don't really see a problem with that. They won't because it would mean she couldn't be his XO any more, but the temptation is now more plausible. It might happen if either leaves the show, though.

I don't have a problem with will they/won't they, just them ultimately getting back together which the end of the episode seemed to imply (and Mercer's line earlier to the effect of "I can never trust her in that way again because of what she did"). If in spite of that, if they still stayed just friends, it'd be great no matter or even because of how much misdirection there will have been up until that point.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I keep getting the idea that Blue Rob Lowe is supposed to be from a race like the Deltans from the TOS universe, taking advantage of 'sexually immature' species.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

As long as they can make any relationship episodes between them as entertaining and funny as this one, I don't care what direction they go.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't have a problem with will they/won't they, just them ultimately getting back together which the end of the episode seemed to imply (and Mercer's line earlier to the effect of "I can never trust her in that way again because of what she did"). If in spite of that, if they still stayed just friends, it'd be great no matter or even because of how much misdirection there will have been up until that point.

She said that, not him.

They aren't together. A door that was welded shut is now openable, that's all. It's still boobytrapped though. Even in the preview they are sniping about marriage.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop posted:

She said that, not him.

They aren't together. A door that was welded shut is now openable, that's all. It's still boobytrapped though. Even in the preview they are sniping about marriage.

I hope to hell you're right, old friend.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I thought he was Charles Esten for a few minutes until he started talking about sugar.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

It wasn't rape-y; It was rape, pure and simple. I feel like the episode should have made that clearer, and there should have been something more than mild bemusement and irritation in response. I also really don't like that our protagonists solved the problem of the week by inflicting sexual assault on the two ambassadors. You can attempt to handwave the behaviour of Rob Lowe's character away and attribute it to cultural differences but the rest of the crew knew exactly what they were doing, and implemented that plan. Then the Captain tells that Nurse that he'll be giving him a commendation for drugging two people so that they'd rape each other.

Edit: I'm actually kinda surprised that Fox decided to air this episode at all, considering recent events.

Some knowledgeable rapist can correct me on this, but it wasn't rape according to any earth law. You are absolutely allowed to use your body odours to attract the opposite sex. Its legal.

It may still have been space rape though, I'm not sure. Maybe some space lawyer can chime in on the subject?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
That was more awesome than words can express; I'm totally sold and hope The Orville goes on forever, or at least seven years. The scene where the two races are at the conference table at the brink of war, and Ed goes "I just want you all to know I found the greatest guy..." That's so incredibly anti-Trek, it's awesome. Not that Trek is bad, but no one has lampooned Trek so perfectly since, um, since Carol Burnett at least.

Now I'll admit it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Next morning, when the tequila has worn off, it becomes obvious that squirting sex pheromones at people isn't "rape-y", it's flat out rape. If the blue-skinned people were- heck, I'm just going to call them Smurfs- if the Smurfs were part of the Union, they would be required to wear protective suits during that time of the year, and people would know not to touch a Smurf unless you want to be ankles-behind-ears. "Shaking hands with a Smurf" would be slang for "going to get laid". Also, assuming a whole race of Smurfs, it seems odd that Alara recognizes him with just a glance.

Still an awesome episode. Next week looks cool as hell too.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 11, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really like the opening to this episode. In fact, I love all the openings that are the crew hanging out, it seems to be where the best jokes come from.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

WampaLord posted:

Given it was a birthing tub, I expected the DNA to be from a mixed-species baby... 30,000 years ago they lived together an intermarried is more powerful than a "common ancestor." Oh well.

Gynovore posted:

"Shaking hands with a Smurf" would be slang for "going to get laid".

This would be great.

As to nobody knowing about Smurf pheromones, it's directly in the grand Star Trek tradition. This is Pon Farr, except it's induced in others instead of the self; somehow others in the Federation were quite unaware of Pon Farr despite centuries of interaction with Vulcans.

It may be that most Smurfs are careful with other races during this time, so it hasn't really come up amongst outsiders before. Rob Lowe is the rear end in a top hat who makes it public by taking advantage of it. It may also be that he's one of the only Smurfs in the Union; I don't think we know anything about his planet's status and we haven't seen any other blue guys around.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Choadmaster posted:

As to nobody knowing about Smurf pheromones, it's directly in the grand Star Trek tradition. This is Pon Farr, except it's induced in others instead of the self; somehow others in the Federation were quite unaware of Pon Farr despite centuries of interaction with Vulcans.
Even moreso, Lwaxanna made everyone horny when she was having betazoid menopause or something. It was very nearly the same thing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Except that he doesn't face any consequences for his behavior. Instead of a much-needed reprimand from Mercer and Grayson at the end, they're more concerned about whether he did the same thing again, and then after the "maybe", they still don't reprimand him.

That, I think, undercuts the argument that we're supposed to think he's an irresponsible rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, this episode really skeeved me out. A lot. With everything that’s going on in Hollywood right now, they play lighthearted romp with the non-consensual sex and the knowing perpetrator saves the day. With more non-consensual sex drugging.

The only funny thing about this episode was Bortus.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Binary Badger posted:

I keep getting the idea that Blue Rob Lowe is supposed to be from a race like the Deltans from the TOS universe, taking advantage of 'sexually immature' species.

I think the problem is that Blue Rob Lowe didn't have DirecTV

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Only halfway through the episode but "To old friends," "To new beginnings" and that poo poo eating grin just completely cracked me up.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
HOLY MOLY THE GOO gently caress

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yep, the blue guy totally knows what he is doing aaaand it's definitely rape.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not willing to wade to deep into "what is rape" in this thread, but making yourself insanely attractive to other people and then making it with them when they offer... isn't rape. It's essentially the goal of dating.

Blue guy's species being OK with this and thinking humans have a hangup about sex is perfectly believable alien culture. He might argue that it's rape to wear makeup or a corset because it "tricks" you into making out with someone based on "false" information. We have pheremones too, his are just more powerful and where that line is seems pretty arbitrary.

Now, weaponizing it at the end, that was the same sort of crime as any mind control and honestly probably caused more harm in the long run unless they really buy the coexistance because of common ancestor angle, which maybe makes sense for their cultures? If so, stopping a war is a pretty good thing to do.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The TV IV: The Orville: Shaking Hands with a Smurf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

The TV IV: The Orville: Shaking Hands with a Smurf
The TV IV: The Orville: I've Got a Bad Case of the Tits

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I'm not willing to wade to deep into "what is rape" in this thread, but making yourself insanely attractive to other people and then making it with them when they offer... isn't rape. It's essentially the goal of dating.

Blue guy's species being OK with this and thinking humans have a hangup about sex is perfectly believable alien culture. He might argue that it's rape to wear makeup or a corset because it "tricks" you into making out with someone based on "false" information.

What he did is more like the equivalent of dropping an ecstasy into your date's drink.

"But they were having (chemically induced) fun on the date!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

What he did is more like the equivalent of dropping an ecstasy into your date's drink.

"But they were having (chemically induced) fun on the date!"
Maybe if his species evolved involuntary ecstasy dispensers and it was just considered a normal part of their culture's dating/mating.

Fact is, you might be right, but we don't know if he's an outlier creep in his species or if his behavior is normal as he claims. We don't know Union law about inter-species breeding, consent, or anything really.

Taking him at face value, his culture is just a bit alien and where that overlaps with human culture in a hundred-worlds union can't be as simple as "human mores and taboos are the correct ones"

This isn't just mundane evil cultural relativism either because they are different species.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, this episode really skeeved me out. A lot. With everything that’s going on in Hollywood right now, they play lighthearted romp with the non-consensual sex and the knowing perpetrator saves the day. With more non-consensual sex drugging.

The only funny thing about this episode was Bortus.

this was a horror episode, it was really not very light-hearted at all even though the characters were "having fun" for most of it. macfarlane has been one of the more outspoken people about sexual assault in hollywood for quite a long time.

darulio's the most actually evil villain we've seen in any episode so far, and it just makes him worse that he still thinks he's a good person and he gets away without consequence.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 10, 2017

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
You don't even know if he has a penis all he does is squirt blue stuff out of his head

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You can still consent just fine on E. You might not make good decisions but it is still clearly you making them. As opposed to roofies or pass-out drunk.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
A pod containing a mixed DNA species wouldn't have actually solved the debate, since there would still be the question "who was here first".

The Bloop posted:

Maybe if his species evolved involuntary ecstasy dispensers and it was just considered a normal part of their culture's dating/mating.

Fact is, you might be right, but we don't know if he's an outlier creep in his species or if his behavior is normal as he claims. We don't know Union law about inter-species breeding, consent, or anything really.

Taking him at face value, his culture is just a bit alien and where that overlaps with human culture in a hundred-worlds union can't be as simple as "human mores and taboos are the correct ones"

This isn't just mundane evil cultural relativism either because they are different species.

Darulio wasn't just some completely clueless alien from the sticks who didn't know anything about human culture or their hangups. He was the guy Grayson slept with, on Earth, and was sleeping with at the time Mercer walked in, and just from their reactions, he should have clued in that Mercer wasn't happy, Grayson wasn't happy that Mercer caught them, and that some cultural taboo might have been violated.

The fact that he did the same thing a year later... I can't really swallow the "gosh, how was I supposed to know" excuse.

And it was quite clear that in the state of mind, they were not able to make decisions, let alone give consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I thought this episode was funny, and that the blue guy was an rear end in a top hat. Do we really need to psychoanalyze it deeper than that?

It was literally The Naked Now, with jokes.

Edit: Maybe more Fascination.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 10, 2017