Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Wait how is Keanu Reeves involved in all of this

Cause that is really really surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well this is miles better than "I choose now to live my life as a gay man"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

dont even fink about it posted:

Well this is miles better than "I choose now to live my life as a gay man"
Yet people on twitter are already bitching his excuses do not include "i am sorry". :suicide:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

He's not? Where are you getting that from?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The apology would feel more sincere if he hadn't been denying this a few weeks ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So Page says she was assaulted by a director when she was sixteen, which would place it around 2003-ish.

Uh, that basically says David Slade, right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

So Page says she was assaulted by a director when she was sixteen, which would place it around 2003-ish.

If it's a director where she actually ended up doing the movie, yea by process of elimination it'd have to be him. And yes, that movie is Hard Candy so.....

But she probably met with a bunch of directors to talk about possible projects that didn't end up working out so probably can't just assume it's him. And is David Slade really a guy that she would hesitate to name? When she said she still didn't feel totally comfortable naming the person I figured it was because they were still a powerful figure in the industry, which hardly describes David Slade.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Timby posted:

That was my thought. And if that's the case, it turns Hard Candy, already a difficult movie to consider, into the biggest, brightest red flag imaginable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

That was my thought. And if that's the case, it turns Hard Candy, already a difficult movie to consider, into the biggest, brightest red flag imaginable.

I wonder if Page knew that just saying her age would make it easy to narrow it down, when you consider that we're talking about Hard Candy AND the two films that she did before and after were both directed by women. Pretty clever if so.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

Unless Hard Candy was filmed a couple years before it released, she was about eighteen when she made that movie iirc. I was 16 when it came out and Page is I think two or three years older than me.

I feel like the line she was fed about having to make the first move points toward one of her Canadian productions, maybe. Age of consent here was still 14 when she would have been 16 iirc, and was only raised to 16 like ten years ago.

But who knows.

e: like it gave me an 'it's okay if you move first' creepo vibe which would fit with how low our age of consent was and tbh still is

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

If it's a director where she actually ended up doing the movie, yea by process of elimination it'd have to be him. And yes, that movie is Hard Candy so.....

But she probably met with a bunch of directors to talk about possible projects that didn't end up working out so probably can't just assume it's him. And is David Slade really a guy that she would hesitate to name? When she said she still didn't feel totally comfortable naming the person I figured it was because they were still a powerful figure in the industry, which hardly describes David Slade.

Slade is basically Bryan Fuller's go to guy.

esperterra posted:

Unless Hard Candy was filmed a couple years before it released, she was about eighteen when she made that movie iirc. I was 16 when it came out and Page is I think two or three years older than me.

I feel like the line she was fed about having to make the first move points toward one of her Canadian productions, maybe. Age of consent here was still 14 when she would have been 16 iirc, and was only raised to 16 like ten years ago.

But who knows.

Page was born in 1987. Hard Candy was shot in 2003-04.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 10, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

Page was born in 1987. Hard Candy was shot in 2003-04.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% on the production time for that movie. If the meeting was for a movie she ended up doing Hard Candy does fit the timeline.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Timby posted:

Slade is basically Bryan Fuller's go to guy.

Yeah. He's not super prolific in the position of director today, but he executive produced Hannibal and is doing the same on American Gods.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He also EP'd Awake and directed the pilot of that, iirc.

e: Slade's never been a very big name, the more I think of it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was O.K. because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true.

Maybe he's being sincere but this reads like a bit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

Where are you seeing this? I only see her accusing Ratner

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Where are you seeing this? I only see her accusing Ratner

There's a bit in her Facebook post where she goes into having dinner with a director, and him putting his hand on her thigh. It's kind of buried in the middle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh, thanks, I didn't think to look back a page

Jeez, if it's Slade that's a huge disappointment. You're making a movie about a girl getting revenge for being abused!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 10, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Toplowtech posted:

Yet people on twitter are already bitching his excuses do not include "i am sorry". :suicide:

Because if you are writing a statement of apology you should actually use those words. It’s very telling that even when caught and admitting to what he did he can’t use words that actually say “hey I’m loving sorry”. It’s not an accident, it’s a common thing that men, even when admitting fault, still try to work around using those words.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He should have more clearly said "I am sorry" but that statement is still miles better than what I thought would happen. To me it seems like he genuinely understands how hosed up what he did was, and like Darko said:

Darko posted:

My response to all of that is that we just need to do better, as men, and teach other men better, and then we might not have to worry about making mistakes in the future. But when it comes to the Weinsteins of the world, it's just a clear "screw that crap, no excuse for being a predator."

Also, Ellen Page is my hero for being the first person to say "I regret doing a Woody Allen movie". Finally.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Isn't the "you can't say you're sorry" a legal thing, because you're admitting guilt accordingly?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean, he does say that he "regrets" what he did several times, isn't that pretty much the same thing as saying you're sorry?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/929072847137280000

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

precision posted:

Also, Ellen Page is my hero for being the first person to say "I regret doing a Woody Allen movie". Finally.

I've always wondered, when big-name actors fly across the Atlantic on a 10+ hour plane ride to Europe to film a movie with Roman Polanski, if they ever give a thought to the reason they have to fly all that way. Like, it has to come up in their brain, right? "This guy raped a 14 year old and ran away from the consequences" has to show up somewhere, right? do they justify it because he's such a great artist, or do they try to play it off as not that bad, or that he's done his time? or do they just push it as far out of their mind as possible because it can help their career? Obviously "i was young and regret it now" makes sense, especially for someone whose career is still up in the air.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, he does say that he "regrets" what he did several times, isn't that pretty much the same thing as saying you're sorry?

Yeah, I don't think he's trying to dodge any legal admission of guilt, especially after saying "these allegations are true"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DC Murderverse posted:

I've always wondered, when big-name actors fly across the Atlantic on a 10+ hour plane ride to Europe to film a movie with Roman Polanski, if they ever give a thought to the reason they have to fly all that way. Like, it has to come up in their brain, right? "This guy raped a 14 year old and ran away from the consequences" has to show up somewhere, right? do they justify it because he's such a great artist, or do they try to play it off as not that bad, or that he's done his time? or do they just push it as far out of their mind as possible because it can help their career? Obviously "i was young and regret it now" makes sense, especially for someone whose career is still up in the air.

Yeah, it's insane to me. Like, I have no problem with people saying that Polanski is talented, and like I said earlier, I even managed to enjoy The Ninth Gate, but that's still a far cry from actively being in one of his movies. I know greed is a strong motivator and all but man... I do think it's some combination of "that was a long time ago" and willfull ignorance.

I can't imagine how people work with him or Allen without just punching them in the face.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

We've seen all the various justifications from various people. Some go with "it was a long time ago and he should be forgiven", others it's "I'm an artist first and foremost and he's a great iconic director so I want to work with him", and then yea there's the ones who kinda openly admit they feel lovely about it but just did it for the career boost.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

We've seen all the various justifications from various people. Some go with "it was a long time ago and he should be forgiven", others it's "I'm an artist first and foremost and he's a great iconic director so I want to work with him", and then yea there's the ones who kinda openly admit they feel lovely about it but just did it for the career boost.

i haven't ever gone looking but i'd be curious to hear from people like Kate Winslet or Jodie Foster (who seems to really take to assholes, given her casting Gibson in The Beaver in 2010).

Imagine going to Europe to make a movie with Polanski and having it end up one of his lesser works. Like, Adrian Brody probably ended up benefitting long term from starring in The Pianist (or he would have if he weren't apparently allergic to success), but imagine being Walter Matthau, going to Europe to film a movie with a rapist less than a decade after he fled the US and ending up starring in loving Pirates.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 10, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is wild.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

i haven't ever gone looking but i'd be curious to hear from people like Kate Winslet or Jodie Foster (who seems to really take to assholes, given her casting Gibson in The Beaver in 2010).

I really don't even want to think about all the poo poo Jodie Foster must have had to eat to get where she is. Being a child actor, and a sexualized one at that, and then having to live a closeted lifestyle for so long, all the while dealing with the garbage heap that was Hollywood. Whatever she decided was the best move for her at that moment I'm fine with it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

I really don't even want to think about all the poo poo Jodie Foster must have had to eat to get where she is. Being a child actor, and a sexualized one at that, and then having to live a closeted lifestyle for so long, all the while dealing with the garbage heap that was Hollywood. Whatever she decided was the best move for her at that moment I'm fine with it.

Oh I'm sure she and Brooke Shields have fifty million terrible stories from their youths. And not to cast aspersions on how people are supposed to act after going through trauma, but you'd think that being a child actress in Hollywood might turn you off from working for a man who raped a young woman and (around the time they were making Carnage, the Polanski movie she was in) was accused of sexual misconduct toward another young actress (Charlotte Lewis, who debuted in movies with a large role in Pirates and whose career is largely dead, especially since she came out and accused Polanski of this behavior in 2010).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DC Murderverse posted:

Imagine going to Europe to make a movie with Polanski and having it end up one of his lesser works. Like, Adrian Brody probably ended up benefitting long term from starring in The Piano

The Pianist. The Piano was Jane Campion.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I really have to wonder how the Polanski stuff would have turned out if the allegations came out today instead of years ago. I doubt we'd be seeing a huge petition of big name actors demanding his release, for starters.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm legitimately shocked there hasn't been any Jack Nicholson allegations. You know that guy has done everything Led Zeppelin did, but worse.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The fall of Louis continues

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/929102671755259904

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Another accusation, this time from Top Gun and ER star Anthony Edwards, accusing a man named Gary Goddard of abusing him and raping a friend of his. Goddard isn't a very recognizable name, but he's won some Tony awards, created a bunch of theme park rides, and directed the live action Masters of the Universe movie. This is particularly notable because Goddard's name has popped up in discussions like this before, often in conjunction with Bryan Singer's. The two of them most recently worked on some weird thing called Broadway 4D, to be directed by Goddard and produced by Singer (although I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a movie or a show or what), and when one man brought sexual abuse charges against Singer, Goddard was named in the suit as well.

precision posted:

The Pianist. The Piano was Jane Campion.

My bad, fixed.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also, related to stand-up comedy and the Louis C.K. story, Guy Branum, a very funny gay comedian, wrote a very good article about the boys club as it exists in stand-up comedy:

quote:

At the Comedy Cellar in Greenwich Village, there’s a table where the comics sit. It’s where they joke, debate, goof off, and ridicule their friends. As depicted on the FX series Louie, it’s the most fun place to be with the smartest, coolest comics in America. Every club has one, but the Comedy Cellar is the best club, and the table Louis C.K. sat at was the best table, occupied by the likes of Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, and Marc Maron. That table is the most important force in comedy. There are rarely women at that table. There are never gay men or trans people.

I’m a cisgender man, thus not someone who has had to deal with sexual harassment of the sort Louis doled out to his colleagues. But I am a gay man, so I understand very well the kind of culture that harassment helps enforce, and which is perpetuated by that culture.

Here’s a New Yorker article from a few months ago about the table. It lists 17 comedians, including, of course, Louis C.K. Only three are women, they are confined to a single line of the article. None are gay men. The article defines the table as sanctified space, reserved only for the realest comics, and discusses their hostility to even minor changes to the table. The article describes how these comedy icons “defended the table against comedians who didn’t do standup at the Cellar, were hacks, or were dressed badly.” People who weren’t like them didn’t get to be part of the club. I am not like them. Louis’s victims were not like them.

That boys’ club is the only real structure that exists in stand-up. The patronage and mentorship that good comics receive from more established male comics is how they get stage time, representation, and jobs. Improvisers and actors have schools and casting workshops to help them build skills and connections, but for a stand-up, you’re always just waiting for one of the guys — and it is always a guy — to pay attention and help you out. If you’re not part of their club, you learn that such mentorship rarely comes your way, and when it does, it often has a cost.

Sexual harassment is one of many tools heterosexual men use to remind other comics that our status is provisional. We’re not equals. We’re not colleagues. We’re flavors, we’re different, we’re people who should quietly accept whatever creepiness is presented to us. Mostly, these tools remind us that our status as real comics is provisional. We understand that if we question the rules of the table, if we say there aren’t enough women getting stage time, or that maybe they shouldn’t use that word, or even just that Kesha is more talented than Springsteen, we’ll be expelled.

Louis, of course, sexually harassed numerous comics. He was not expelled. When managers, club owners, and comics became aware that he was assaulting comics, they did not say, “Hey, let’s figure out what’s going on,” or “He might be a threat to the other comics.” They protected him. They made the problem go away. They kicked Megan Beth Koester out of the Montreal Just for Laughs festival.

That’s because Louis’s behavior didn’t hurt the system. It maintained the system. It alienated women from careers in comedy and allowed everyone to continue to live in a world where they could believe that the table, the Official Council of American Funny, was a place only straight men were worthy of reaching. Louis C.K. once said during a Daily Show appearance, “Comedians and feminists … are natural enemies.” The table doesn’t have any space for comedians who are feminists.

I’m scared to write this, because I know the people who sit at the table will see it and say I’m not a real comic, and I don’t value real comedy. Writing this means I never get to sit at the table. At the beginning of my career when I was invited into some lesser comedy boys’ club, I did my best to play by their rules. I kept silent as they denigrated women, or explained to me how I wasn’t like the other gays. It never earned me real respect from anyone, least of all myself. My silence simply empowered a system to treat me and many other people like we were negligible and disposable.

In more recent years, I’ve questioned the established rules of comedy, particularly as they relate to discussion and participation by gay comics. Once I did a TV segment mocking the homophobia of a Comedy Central show. A famous, respected, politically liberal comic unbooked me from his show because he didn’t think comics should criticize other comics in public. He never considered that when the Comedy Central show in question was incessantly ridiculing homosexuality with no gay comics present, they were criticizing those comics. They were criticizing me.

So that’s why I’m writing this, so I no longer have the option of sitting at that table. We don’t need a female comic with provisional status at the table. We don’t need the table to find the trans comic who’s least offensive to them and kind of learn his name. It will still perpetuate a system that privileges and protects the perspective of straight cis men. The table is the problem. Burn the table down.

Also, place your bets on who the politically liberal comic who unbooked Branum was (my money is on Stewart or Maher).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

DC Murderverse posted:

Imagine going to Europe to make a movie with Polanski and having it end up one of his lesser works. Like, Adrian Brody probably ended up benefitting long term from starring in The Pianist (or he would have if he weren't apparently allergic to success), but imagine being Walter Matthau, going to Europe to film a movie with a rapist less than a decade after he fled the US and ending up starring in loving Pirates.

I mean, that's basically every Allen movie in the last twenty years. He may as well have had a brain hemorrhage and died on the red carpet premiere of Husbands and Wives given the impact of every movie that's followed, except he gets to live on, being a child molester and producing lovely lukewarm movies that nobody remembers. Did anyone even see "To Rome With Love"?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean, that's basically every Allen movie in the last twenty years. He may as well have had a brain hemorrhage and died on the red carpet premiere of Husbands and Wives given the impact of every movie that's followed, except he gets to live on, being a child molester and producing lovely lukewarm movies that nobody remembers. Did anyone even see "To Rome With Love"?

In a conversation about Allen, one of my younger coworkers (i work at a movie theater) didn't recognize Woody Allen's name off hand and after listing off a few of the classics (Annie Hall, Manhattan, etc) that he didn't know, he went to his phone to look up Woody Allen on IMDB and after about a minute he said "Oh yeah, I remember him, he was in Antz!" I laughed my rear end off. Like, Blue Jasmine and Midnight in Paris are very well regarded (I haven't seen either, because gently caress Woody Allen with a spiked broomstick) but i think it's a case of Hollywood willing someone into relevance because of their past work. Midnight in Paris was notable because it was the first time he had been more than mediocre in over a decade, and Blue Jasmine apparently lived and died by its main performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mel was the one person in Hollywood who was willing to talk to Jodie in the wake of the John Hinckley bullshit - at a time where he was a new hot star and she was mired under the publicity of all of that - and actively listened and helped her get through that time in her life, which was very, very rough. She considers him family. Robert Downey Jr. feels the same way. Those two hit it off making Air America and Mel and Jodie basically are at least half the reason RDJ wasn't someone who ended up dead in a gutter. Mel was also one of the first people to reach out to Robert after that final stay in rehab/jail that has kept him straight since -- he got him the lead role in The Singing Detective and put up the collateral to keep the production insured. So those two will always come down on the side of forgiveness when it comes to Mel until he like outright murders someone.

Hollismason posted:

Like I said, it's a rumor, and it's him having been victimized by Geffen very early in his career.