Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AP posted:

Getting rid of :lesnick: is complicated by, him knowing where the bodies are buried and his wife working there.

You just need to leave a few cakes unattended at the office everyday to get rid of Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Good info. I’m not readily familiar with this stuff, but a lot of people I️ work with are tying themselves to AWS lately, and the biggest thing I’m having to deal with is this SaaS stuff and “serverless” architecture.

Lambda is actually cool, but microservices. The smart money is looking for alternatives to amazon at the moment; Google compute is probably a better option for most people. Effectively you're just serving a specific event and endpoint, like server-based AJAX.

AWS is the prototype; Azure and GC were second generation. Third generation is about to crest the horizon as everyone discovers datacenters again. Docker and containerization was the new hotness for a while, but again saturating network becomes 'a thing(tm)' and you still have to maintain a certain level of control over the container hosts ~ Beanstalk is the Amazon version, and quite frankly it blew.

The biggest problem about AWS is that it entrains people to use AWS. You get an imperceptible vendor lockin by adjusting to their terminology and protocols.

Edit: If it matters to anyone, it costs $10/month to run a wordpress blog with no traffic on AWS.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hav posted:

Lambda is actually cool, but microservices. The smart money is looking for alternatives to amazon at the moment; Google compute is probably a better option for most people. Effectively you're just serving a specific event and endpoint, like server-based AJAX.

AWS is the prototype; Azure and GC were second generation. Third generation is about to crest the horizon as everyone discovers datacenters again. Docker and containerization was the new hotness for a while, but again saturating network becomes 'a thing(tm)' and you still have to maintain a certain level of control over the container hosts ~ Beanstalk is the Amazon version, and quite frankly it blew.

The biggest problem about AWS is that it entrains people to use AWS. You get an imperceptible vendor lockin by adjusting to their terminology and protocols.

Edit: If it matters to anyone, it costs $10/month to run a wordpress blog with no traffic on AWS.

I think I pay $5 a month, or $60/year, for a shared hosting account for my business website running wordpress. Nothing fancy and doesn't get a lot of traffic. Use it more for email accounts now more than anything else.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm not defending Derek, I'm the first one to make fun of him, but I've talked about this in the past and I think what he said was accurate at the time.

:siren::siren:Now I will channel Derek:siren::siren:

This is all rambling speculation though about what went on behind the scenes. I've formed my opinion by passively watching this shitshow for a few years now and am taking into account things like CIGs own marketing, their tweets, their ATVs and interviews. Also things like the leaks and this threads analysis at every decision and action they take.

My theory is this:

Due to CIG constantly promising things and being unable to deliver I think Chris Roberts around December 2015 was certain of a early to mid two year late 2016 release for Squadron 42 which is where the real money is at. Since he has talked in interviews about expecting ridiculously impossible numbers of sales for it to the tune of a quarter billion dollars it's reasonable to make that the focus of your company if you are a big enough lunatic to think it's going to be that profitable.

Leading up to that was a nonstop barrage of videos about motion capture for Squadron 42 and the actors. Slides about the amazing script. Leaks about all the work going into it and how much work there was actually to do on Squadron 42. All Chris ever wanted to talk about was Squadron 42. Answer the call.

So in early 2016 we did get a few new patches to the PU. These patches started getting less and less substantial from 2.1. Eventually they were slight modifications anyone that has ever modded a game would instantly recognize. Adjusting values of things.

Then the maintenance mode thing comes up here in March. Not necessarily whatever the official terminology for a "maintenance mode" on a piece of software would be but that the PU was only being worked on to keep up appearances. All focus and resources were going to Squadron 42 but the PU is what cultists have paid for.

As 2016 started progressing you started having longer and longer time for even more and more insignificant patches. After about 6-7 months the maintenance mode and reduced consideration for the PU was proven to be exactly correct since it started taking multiple months to get slight tweaks to flight speed or camera movement. 2.5 in August was virtually identical to 2.0 from December of the previous year. I'm sure cultists would point at the hilarious patch notes or compile huge lists of how adjusting the ammunition in a gun or the top speed of something totally disproves my point but if you aren't a crazy idiot arguing for a belief you can see the actual changes from 2.0 -> 2.5 which were the definition of treading water or "maintenance mode."

Meanwhile you still saw Mark Hamill and Squadron 42 actors tweeting about their still ongoing motion capture up until July of that year.

Gamescom comes around and you have an obvious and proven fake scripted demo in cryeditor.exe to make even more money. Money flows in. Citcon rolls around and in addition to another obvious and proven fake scripted demo in cryeditor.exe you have Squadron 42's appearance cancelled for unexplained reasons. The Leaks had been progressively mentioning a reduced scope in Squadron 42 which was to try and get out "The Prelude." A smaller and cut up version of Squadron 42s content to try and sell it.

After that the holiday sale rolls around and CIG manages to poo poo out Star Marine.

Once 2017 hit Squadron 42 isn't being talked about much anymore. Work probably progressed on it or The Prelude until early this year and at some point the idea had to have been abandoned. I tend to think that all the leaks about how ridiculous the animation data was were correct. Especially when you consider the slides putting this at 10x the speaking roles of actual studio releases of animated films. Chris Roberts had wanted to make a movie and had generated 90% footage and 10% gameplay with most of his budget and the footage was largely worthless due to the work required to turn tens of millions of dollars of motion capture data into anything resembling a game with a narrative that he could sell for $60.

Leaks turned to Squadron 42 being combined with the persistent universe. All outward focus from CIG switches to 3.0 and delivering something that resembles the fake demos they sold last year.

I think they have shifted along this path

- Planning to develop both games simultaneously with 4 studios
(time passes)
- Already past their release date with tens of millions in Squadron 42, complete focus on finish it (Maintenance Mode PU)
(time passes)
- Unable to deal with the hilarious clusterfuck Chris Roberts filmed, scope is reduced and a smaller step will be taken toward Squadron 42, further forgetting the PU (Prelude, A year without patches)
(time passes)
- Development of anything to do with petabytes of mocap footage becomes so expensive that the forgotten PU is now front and center to make money (Fake Demos late 2016)
(a lot of time passes)
- Once the main 2017 sales start getting closer CIG starts producing more fake demos but is now apparently struggling to develop something that actually resembles them. (3.0) Work has obviously just started on it sometime recently but they are running with it 100% and are no longer talking about Squadron 42. Due to almost bankrupting the company on Squadron 42 for years their last resort is a broken tech demo they had largely been ignoring. It's all they have and that leads us to now where they are frantically trying to cram more features into an ancient engine they should have never used in the first place.

It's a shame that we have to speculate so much about what is actually happening at THE WORLD'S MOST OPEN GAME DEVELOPMENT STUDIO. I'm pretty confident about that chain of events and if I was as crazy as Derek i would probably look up all the supporting tweets and information for each step but I don't care enough to spend an eternity digging through endless amounts of bullshit to highlight my points.

This is an amazing post.

The grapevine (which is 70% accurate) had a lot to say about how much time it was taking to process the mocap data around about the same time Sean Tracy was saying it was in-engine in 2 clicks. One of the guys in the German studios, I forget who, had been talking about how they still had to figure out how the scenes would play out and from which perspective, ie would the player have control, would they cutaway etc. That must be the guts of 2 years ago now.

The grapevine was saying a few months ago that SQ42 was essentially canned, and the Agent has been saying that it has been folded into the PU - which if you ask me is a polite way of saying it's been canned, they are salvaging what they can but it has been canned.

The issue of AI not working is another thing that's come down the grapevine again and again.

WAN HUNNAHD AN SHIXTEE MEEEEEYUN DOWWAH

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Chris could just buy out Lesnick with some RARE NEVER BEFORE SEEN NAPKIN DOODLES OF A HIDDEN SECRET SHIP FROM ONE OF HIS FIRST GAMES.

The thing I've always found funny about :lesnick: is that based on his Twitter account you can tell he has zero, none, absolutely nil, interest in Star Citizen, instead it's all poo poo like Wing Commander from when he was a kid.

I like to think this is because he's always known Star Citizen is bollocks because he invented most of the ships and if you take the ships, and the text paragraph of fluff devoted to each, away, there's nothing left.

I can't think of any better fitting end for :lesnick: than getting fired because his idol's wife can't stand him and developers on two continents (young and inexperienced though they may be) detest him.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7c3ds3/is_there_any_reason_left_for_evocati/dpmwc7o/

quote:

About the goons stuff.. i can tell you i know A LOT about this. And believe be they are powerless besides trolling now. No financial damage they do anymore.

The people listening to him do it because of stuff in the past. Nothing new . New stuff is impossible. The 45 refund lie was only one of the things that discredited them.

I am deeper into this that you maybe think.

I can tell you ds and his goons have lost everything besides trolling new threads here and /ds.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Deep Citizen

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its true though. Especially since Citcon we got owned extremely hard.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

The Titanic posted:

So AWS Lumberyard stuff now supports mmo functionality out of the box? I’m all kinds of out of date! :)

I'm behind by 4 pages so may be beaten, but I don't think anyone knows if Lumberyard's network arch will support MMO-scale, but I assume it can't without modification. And I don't know of any games that have proven GridMate works well in practice. But when I read about it, I thought the theory was sound.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

AP posted:

Getting rid of :lesnick: is complicated by, him knowing where the bodies are buried and his wife working there.

Losing him, and her, over the Christmas holidays would make more sense to me, but anything is possible.

I'm not entirely sure Ben does know where the bodies are buried, tbh. He's been there since the beginning, but he's so clearly cocooned in his own weird obsessions that it's entirely possible that he's never looked beyond them and learned a drat thing about the company he works for. He might have spent the past five years bumbling around being VERY impressed at how GREAT everything seems to be going, and then headed home without ever once worrying about anything more bleak than "What if they're out of my favorite cake and I have to eat my second-favorite instead?"

I mean, there are a whole bunch of people who have spent thousands of dollars on absolutely nothing and who still can't muster up enough sanity to even consider tapping the brakes on their relentless and entirely unhinged optimism, and some of them don't even have to spend most of their day dealing with horrifying health problems and obsessively indexing Wing Commander memorabilia. It's entirely possible that Ben knows even less about Star Citizen's actual progress than CIG's customers do at this point.

That said, even if he knows absolutely nothing and couldn't retaliate against them even if he wanted to, they should probably try to arrange a soft landing for him when/if he leaves. That way it's not a "heartless company fires sick fat man like a common EA would" story, at least. I can't even imagine what other company would have a job for him, but at this point CIG's got to be worried about doing anything that might dent the confidence of their captive audience, right?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Stand back everyone, I know A LOT about this

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

SomethingJones posted:

Stand back everyone, I know A LOT about this

Have you lost everything as well friend. I would never have made fun of Star Citizen if I thought it would have such a devastating effect.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I am continually amused at the amount of stuff goons get blamed for, and the :tinfoil: accusations of power over SC.

"Trust me guys, I'm an expert on goons. I paid :10bux: to read 6000 pages of cat pictures and have determined goons no longer have any power. I stopped them!"

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Trilobite posted:

I'm not entirely sure Ben does know where the bodies are buried, tbh. He's been there since the beginning, but he's so clearly cocooned in his own weird obsessions that it's entirely possible that he's never looked beyond them and learned a drat thing about the company he works for. He might have spent the past five years bumbling around being VERY impressed at how GREAT everything seems to be going, and then headed home without ever once worrying about anything more bleak than "What if they're out of my favorite cake and I have to eat my second-favorite instead?"

I mean, there are a whole bunch of people who have spent thousands of dollars on absolutely nothing and who still can't muster up enough sanity to even consider tapping the brakes on their relentless and entirely unhinged optimism, and some of them don't even have to spend most of their day dealing with horrifying health problems and obsessively indexing Wing Commander memorabilia. It's entirely possible that Ben knows even less about Star Citizen's actual progress than CIG's customers do at this point.

That said, even if he knows absolutely nothing and couldn't retaliate against them even if he wanted to, they should probably try to arrange a soft landing for him when/if he leaves. That way it's not a "heartless company fires sick fat man like a common EA would" story, at least. I can't even imagine what other company would have a job for him, but at this point CIG's got to be worried about doing anything that might dent the confidence of their captive audience, right?

I don't buy Ben knowing the 'where the bodies' are buried line either

Because a leak saying that implies the leaker knows what Ben knows, so why not just leak it?

The truth of it is (if you ask me) that nobody actually knows what Ben does to justify his wage and Ben knows that people around him feel this way, or have made it known to him that they feel that way. At least Sandi tells people to tweet poo poo for her and shows up to do her makeup sit in front of a camera once a week.

If Ben's gone he has left by his own decision and past experience with CIG will tell you that he's likely signed something on the way out the door too.

But what the gently caress do I know.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Drunk Theory posted:

Have you lost everything as well friend. I would never have made fun of Star Citizen if I thought it would have such a devastating effect.

I have lost several important pieces of my brain yes

It's lovely that CIG don't do anything funny any more, the wheels falling off the buggy was peak Citizen for me. I don't think they can top that in Season 7.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

Because a leak saying that implies the leaker knows what Ben knows, so why not just leak it?

The truth of it is (if you ask me) that nobody actually knows what Ben does to justify his wage and Ben knows that people around him feel this way, or have made it known to him that they feel that way. At least Sandi tells people to tweet poo poo for her and shows up to do her makeup sit in front of a camera once a week.

If Ben's gone he has left by his own decision and past experience with CIG will tell you that he's likely signed something on the way out the door too.

ben will probably stay on as chris's personal historian or something stupid because the second you get rid of him people are going to start worrying

of course, with the whole sexual predator thing in the news right now, it's p easy to bring up some of his earlier posts and creepy as gently caress demeanor around women to oust him out of the loving company

no one there wants him around

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SomethingJones posted:

Chris keeps Ben on because Chris is a narcissist and loves having a literal yes-man following him around telling him how great every idea is.

I'd love to know why Ben left, but I cannot imagine they got rid of him. My completely uninformed guess is a combination of his failing health and realization that there is no game.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

quote:

We’re two weeks away from our Anniversary Special, which runs from November 24th to December 4th.

We will be highlighting all of our manufacturers and some of your favorite ships.

Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner will be hosting an eight episode ship series.

Stay tuned for further details, including the release of the full schedule next week.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

It's lovely that CIG don't do anything funny any more, the wheels falling off the buggy was peak Citizen for me. I don't think they can top that in Season 7.
the writing for this show was absolutely killing it the first couple episodes this year, but now it feels like they are playing it safe

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
a loving eight episode ship series

hahahahahahahaha

I dunno, maybe they still got it

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nobody knows, since there are currently NO RELEASED GAMES that use LumberYard. The engine, as a whole, is all very experimental - and still in Beta.

What I do know is that the CryEngine networking layer was always rubbish; and isn't something that they were actively interesting in improving because most of the games the engine targeted, with simple 16-player games, with lobbies. Forget about loving MMOs.

And in the latest LY build, they even deprecated the entire CryEngine network layer in favor of their own. Which makes sense, since AWS is network-centric and they would have top tier network engineers there.

The LumberYard engine was never designed for MMO games. At all. Even AMZ states this clearly in their docs and faqs about what the engine is designed to do, and the limitations/strengths of the networking component.

Whoever wants to use LY for MMO games, is i) one dumb sumbitch ii) an incompetent moron

I suspect that in the switch from CE3.x to LY, they ended up using the LY implementation, which would require them to strip the now deprecated CE3.x networking layer they were using in their Frankenengine.

There was also indication that they were either using, or planning to use this experimental bullshit (in comparison to SDKs like RakNet or ReplicaNet) call yojimbo which they were Golden backers of. If they did end up using it, loving because it explains everything.

Star Citizen was never designed to be an MMO. They have missed that boat. They're never - ever - going to get there because it's too late now. And the premise of them even attempting it, would mean a code/maintenance freeze of maybe TWO loving YEARS to re-jigger everything. When you consider that the last 2.6.3 patch was in April, and 3.0 is now almost a year late - and will be more than that eventually - it's easy to see how completely and totally hosed they are.

As I wrote here, an MMO architecture is not the sort of thing you just tack on at any time during development. The best they could have even got away with, was how Elite Dangerous - which isn't an MMO - did it. And that was a phenomenal fit of engineering, given how it works, the world size etc. AND it has a ton of caveats, regardless.

If they are now testing 60 client sessions, it's not because they magically came up with new networking tech (note that it's not listed anywhere in the dev schedule) at the spur of the moment. It's because they have realized that the AWS instances (these are the different tiers) they were usingvfor severs, are simply incapable of handling the additional poo poo that 3.0 is now throwing at it. Unfortunately for them, moving to higher tier AWS instances is not only going to cost them money, but it's also NOT going to solve the networking/connectivity problem. It's just going to solve the server's ability to just gently caress off and die at some point. And it was doing just that - CONSISTENTLY - in the tests they just had.

To get a better understanding of what it takes to build an MMO using cloud tech - the dumbest thing to do since we elected a moron as POTUS - is to read these resources.

Using the cloud to build a MMORPG <-- This is theoretical and shows you what's possible, not that it's possible for a real-time game, with high fidelity visuals etc

Building a World in the Clouds: MMO Architecture on AWS (MBL304) | AWS <-- This is how Firefall did it. Multiplayer was pure poo poo. And the game died. As did the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJPyjmfdz0 <--- This is how Frontier did it. And they don't even try to do anything more than 32 clients within a "bubble/island"

They're completely and utterly hosed; and Star Citizen will never - ever - be an MMO. Backers should just pray that they are one day able to play with 32 of their friends in a session. loving if they all have multi-crew ships.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

I've heard that MANY times from the old grapevine. To be fair the grapevine has withered somewhat, and it's more like a grapevine of a grapevine but some things are generally consistent and persistent.

He actually has contributed the grand total of precisely gently caress all to the project, and can't even answer simple questions when he wheels himself out on promo videos out like some monstrous bloated vegetable

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16238-New-United-War-On-Water

From their newsletter today.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That's a new ship in the image, isn't it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
CIG doesn't celebrate Star Citizen's birth, they celebrate its conception. Unless the crowd-funding is Star Citizen in which case it makes perfect sense that they would celebrate when they started getting money.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's a new ship in the image, isn't it.

Well their better be. How else will you fill eight episodes of ship commercials.

Revenue this year must be in the toilet.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
well October ended at almost 40% below last years funding

October 2017 funding: $3,251,843 (actual - estimated at $3,275,000 on October 30th)
October 2016 funding: $5,215,403
Difference: -$1,963,560
Percentage: -37.7%

Novembers estimate puts them even below that

November 2017 funding: $3,750,000 (estimated)
November 2016 funding: $7,776,767
Difference: -$4,026,767
Percentage: -51.8%

that would be a huge loving difference and will make everyone poo poo their pants

as I've said before, the only thing I could see saving them is a bug free, stable and content rich 3.0 out the door like right motherfuckin now

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

AP posted:

Losing him, and her, over the Christmas holidays would make more sense to me, but anything is possible.

Ben doesn't know where the bodies are buried.

He never saw anything.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

as I've said before, the only thing I could see saving them is a bug free, stable and content rich 3.0 out the door like right motherfuckin now

oh dear... :allears:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

Revenue this year must be in the toilet.

That's where Ben is for the most of his worktime.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Zzr posted:

That's where Ben pass the most of his worktime.

He's trying to drop 3.0

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Star Citizen: I am deeper into this that you maybe think

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Slow_Moe posted:

Ben doesn't know where the bodies are buried.

He never saw anything.

Because he ate them blindfolded?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Yeah, we’re switching a lot of apis to lambda because magic and unicorns are in the cloud. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

TheAgent posted:

ben will probably stay on as chris's personal historian or something stupid because the second you get rid of him people are going to start worrying

of course, with the whole sexual predator thing in the news right now, it's p easy to bring up some of his earlier posts and creepy as gently caress demeanor around women to oust him out of the loving company

My favorite Ben moment was when Accelerwrath started sending unsolicited dick pics to female members of the community and when Goons raised a stink about it Ben banned the victim and a bunch of Goons while having a public meltdown about Goons.

The icing on that cake was that backers have turned this into a heroic moment where Cloud Imperium Gaming officially condemned an organization of trolls and resoundingly announced that their poo poo wasn't going to pursue the refugees from EVE Online to Star Citizen.

Basically this old post

Just where he says "The goons attempted to use SJW mechanisms to accuse CIG of sexism" add in "Because a concierge backer, the guy who has apparently done security for citcon since then, was sexually harassing female members of the community and Ben banned the victims and called out the people bringing attention to it."