Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ugh my phone company assigned my sim card number to someone else, which hosed my phone for a month, and apparently some shithead dirtbag had my number for that time.

Now that I have my number back I am getting obnoxious work from home scam calls, the ones where you call them back and there is like a 10 minute infomercial recording. Not sure if this is more or less annoying than idiots from Palmer, AK calling me at 4 AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My usual youtube-to-mp3 conversion site went down so I asked a friend for a recommendation, and the one she sent me too was full of ads and immediately filled my screen with pop-ups and even a voice recording about
HACKER WARNING! your information might be getting sent to hackers!!! call this number immediately and Microsoft staff will guide you through the un-hacking process!!

Friend said oh sorry I forgot to mention that, I always just close that window hahaha

I think... she is bad at the internet.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is the go-to site or app now? I had taken the main one for granted so long I just thought it was part of the world, it was confusing when it was taken down.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, it seems like everyday there are more concert videos that I want to grab the audio from, but I am not terribly computer savvy and I'm a little gun shy about installing random stuff on my computer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I ended up using http://2conv.com/nl/ there is also a .de and .ru and they also have a downloadable app to rip videos to relieve their cloud servers.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/ is a great command line tool that can download from a bunch of sites in lots of formats, and you don't have to worry about any shady third party.

https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ someone made a GUI for it as well if you don't want to bother with commands.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sleppy posted:

http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/ is a great command line tool that can download from a bunch of sites in lots of formats, and you don't have to worry about any shady third party.

https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ someone made a GUI for it as well if you don't want to bother with commands.
I did not expect to find a GUI for youtube-dl in the cons/scams thread but hey, you made my day, I hate command line bullshit because I'm a small child. Thanks a million :shobon:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

AlphaKretin posted:

My private gmail is firstname + 3 initials and I still somehow get mail addressed to some Californian professor. I just ignore it. :shrug:
Aha, I get a California snake expert/professor.

Also, he suffers from the same "dead gramma season" that my wife did when she taught freshman.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, it seems like everyday there are more concert videos that I want to grab the audio from, but I am not terribly computer savvy and I'm a little gun shy about installing random stuff on my computer.

Same. It also annoys me that things are free as long as you're sitting in front of a screen. Not when you wan to just listen doing other things.

I know it's because advertising, but still

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This was from a regular gmail address. I'm not sure if it's spam, or just an idiot.

Subject: essay

Why Before What

The term WHY before WHAT is important for everyday leadership.  What does it mean? Explaining to an employee WHY we need them to do something, before telling them what we WANT them to do will create a smoother transition and a better working relationship with fellow employees. When in a leadership role there are a lot of things that will need to be done throughout the day. It is not always easy to get everything done in the time frame you have, but do your best. Some of these jobs are passed onto your employees. Therefore it is important as  team member,  but also as a leader that  if a last minute call comes in, and a job needs to be changed on the floor, using the WHY before the WHAT method can ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Say your boss just told you that machine 405 needs to go from a regular HD part to a SIPHD. This is not a 10 minute job and they are difficult parts to run. So before you run to your set up and say you need to change this back over to this part.  Come up with a plan and a way of explaining the WHY before the WHAT. Robb I know that you have been working hard on keeping everything running today and you’re doing great but I just got word that we have to make some changes. We got a call this morning that we are very low on the SIPHDS. We have a new costumer and they need many different lengths of this part. We did not plan on this happening so soon but we are very excited to have another happy customer to work with. We have been trying to find a way to hold off on the changeover but it is not possible at this time.         We need the machine to be changed over as soon as we possibly can. Before bringing this up to you I have made some phone calls for some more answers and help. We do have another set up coming into help us with this to help make it go as smoothly as possible. I understand that this is going to take some time and it is not easy for us to do this. We have also asked the customer for all the lengths and amounts they will need for up to 6 months so next time we have a better plan and are ready for it. Before we get or make any set decisions is there anything that you think would help with process? Asking the employee if they have anything they would like to add or ask for anything is always a good way to end things. They may have better things to remember than you and also they are part of the team and need to always feel like they are.

In conclusion, it will create a better working atmosphere if we implement the

WHY before WHAT method of communication with team members. An employee that feels like part of a team, and not just a mule will give more of him or herself, and do a better job. 

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

peanut posted:

This was from a regular gmail address. I'm not sure if it's spam, or just an idiot.

Why Before What

The term WHY before WHAT is important for everyday leadership.  What does it mean? Explaining to an employee WHY we need them to do something, before telling them what we WANT them to do will create a smoother transition and a better working relationship with fellow employees. When in a leadership role there are a lot of things that will need to be done throughout the day. It is not always easy to get everything done in the time frame you have, but do your best. Some of these jobs are passed onto your employees. Therefore it is important as  team member,  but also as a leader that  if a last minute call comes in, and a job needs to be changed on the floor, using the WHY before the WHAT method can ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Say your boss just told you that machine 405 needs to go from a regular HD part to a SIPHD. This is not a 10 minute job and they are difficult parts to run. So before you run to your set up and say you need to change this back over to this part.  Come up with a plan and a way of explaining the WHY before the WHAT. Robb I know that you have been working hard on keeping everything running today and you’re doing great but I just got word that we have to make some changes. We got a call this morning that we are very low on the SIPHDS. We have a new costumer and they need many different lengths of this part. We did not plan on this happening so soon but we are very excited to have another happy customer to work with. We have been trying to find a way to hold off on the changeover but it is not possible at this time.         We need the machine to be changed over as soon as we possibly can. Before bringing this up to you I have made some phone calls for some more answers and help. We do have another set up coming into help us with this to help make it go as smoothly as possible. I understand that this is going to take some time and it is not easy for us to do this. We have also asked the customer for all the lengths and amounts they will need for up to 6 months so next time we have a better plan and are ready for it. Before we get or make any set decisions is there anything that you think would help with process? Asking the employee if they have anything they would like to add or ask for anything is always a good way to end things. They may have better things to remember than you and also they are part of the team and need to always feel like they are.

WHY before WHAT method of communication with team members. An employee that feels like part of a team, and not just a mule will give more of him or herself, and do a better job. 

Probably should have told you WHY they sent you the email before WHAT = sending it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Why Before What

Is there a link or 1x1 pixel in the message somewhere? This seems to be bait somehow.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dunno but I marked it as spam.

What are the Google protocols for accounts that get flagged?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's indistinguishable from 50% of LinkedIn content.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I guess there's a new chatbot that you can use to waste email scammers' time? I could swear there already was one of these. With this one, you just forward any email you think is a scam to me@rescam.org and it'll set up a proxy address and start sending interested, gullible, incompetent messages. I think you can choose to get updates from the email thread, but the FAQ was a bit hazy on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPajqAJWiNA

https://www.rescam.org/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That is pretty awesome and way less murderous than 419eater

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Assuming, of course, that it isn't itself harvesting valid email addresses and doing something else with that information.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

Assuming, of course, that it isn't itself harvesting valid email addresses and doing something else with that information.

I always trust free services that ask me for personal information to do good. :shobon:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Assuming you're already getting spam at that email address (and they aren't asking for anything else), I don't see a downside even if they are selling off the address.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Assuming you're already getting spam at that email address (and they aren't asking for anything else), I don't see a downside even if they are selling off the address.

They could sell it off to an entirely different bunch of marketers, since you're self selected into the "discriminating phishing aware consumer" bucket.

I like the idea, just don't trust the people running it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I mean, obviously you have to just take them at their word but this is the group that runs the chatbot:

quote:

After noticing the growing influence of technology in their respective areas, the New Zealand Police, Ministry of Education and several not for profits teamed up with telecommunication organisations and IT industry partners to create an independent body focussed on online safety.

Together they created the Internet Safety Group (rebranded Netsafe in 2008).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

sleppy posted:

I finally got time to try this, but I keep getting an error but nothing to explain what went wrong, I think I have it set right to pull the audio from a youtube video, but idk what I am doing.

Does this look correct? I am trying to grab the audio from this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89JtjisHr4&t=24s

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Post the error and we might even be able to help. :D

E: NM I see the column and what you were saying. I am nowhere near a dev computer (not the original dev, just a guy who unfucks exceptions), try the command line version and/or try and find a log file.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 15, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I've had pretty good luck with a Firefox plugin called "Video DownloadHelper" to get the video and then extract audio with Audacity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
FlashGot FF extension → download audio

YouTube often separates the audio and video files anyway.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

What is the go-to site or app now? I had taken the main one for granted so long I just thought it was part of the world, it was confusing when it was taken down.

Jdownloader is a handy download manager and if you put a Youtube link in there it gives you the option of downloading just the audio track (i think Jdownloader 2 is the one that's currently supported)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aren’t a lot of the download tools loaded with adware/malware these days?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EL BROMANCE posted:

Aren’t a lot of the download tools loaded with adware/malware these days?

Neatly tying this discussion back to the thread topic! :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Exactly. Python (and other interpreted languages) are better for this sort of thing because the assumption is that _someone_ must have looked at the code and called out bullshit if it was present, but if it's a niche module with 10s of installs per year, that's not a guarantee.

Nerdchat: Also in Python you have to import the sys module to inspect command line arguments which is also the module that lets you do Bad poo poo (tm) so you can't easily automate a malware Y/N check.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Got this in my Gmail inbox this morning:

quote:

Hello and welcome to our team [MightyJoe36]

Your profile and email address was picked up by our HR manager through CareerBuilder search tool.

The following position was recently announced by Woodstead Investment Associates, LLC and we suppose you will be a good fit for this position and that you have the skills we are looking for.
Position Title: Customer Service Representative.
Needed conditions are:

- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- 25 years old or more.
- Excellent decision making skills.
- Be excellent time manager.

Job Function:

- Provide service to both prospective and regular customers.
- Create and maintain effective business relationship with customers.
- Develop the environment of good customer service through ensuring that customer's operations are processed correctly and efficiently.
- Process transactions and currency orders.
- Ensure that all transactions are processed in accordance with the policy and the procedure as well as in a timely manner.
This opportunity comes with a salary of 3,500.00 per month, additional commission and extra benefits.

To get more information about this position, please contact us at this e-mail address.

So what, I order stuff off Amazon with stolen credit cards or something? I vaguely remember seeing something like this before

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"we suppose you will be a good fit for this position"
Yeah, I guess you'll do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
That job offering reminded me of Primerica. not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread.

When I was job hunting I kept getting calls offering me a sales job, which was baffling because my work history and resume is nothing but printing and graphic design. It's a MLM style insurance company and apparently, they'll call ANYONE and offer them this "opportunity."

Finally after telling the 4th or 5th person that called that I wan't interested, I asked them "what speficially did you see on my resume that makes you think I'd be good at sales?" and the guy said "you seem sharp".

Click.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm glad I learned early on about those MLM insurance companies and that I didn't have to feel bad about hanging up on them. They almost got one of my friends who was trying to immigrate to Canada (he was desperate for a skilled, non-retail job) and I'm glad he listened to me.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

There's also Lenny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNykBjN3nCQ

Same idea, but instead of replying with affirmatives, Lenny is a senile old robot man who rambles on about his daughters and occasionally has to go shoo away a flock of ducks. The reactions he gets are amazing. This video is particularly funny because it's clear the telemarketers aren't allowed to break the call without his permission.

I realize this is from ages ago, but the ducks, oh my god the loving ducks nearly killed me!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

That job offering reminded me of Primerica. not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread.

When I was job hunting I kept getting calls offering me a sales job, which was baffling because my work history and resume is nothing but printing and graphic design. It's a MLM style insurance company and apparently, they'll call ANYONE and offer them this "opportunity."

Finally after telling the 4th or 5th person that called that I wan't interested, I asked them "what speficially did you see on my resume that makes you think I'd be good at sales?" and the guy said "you seem sharp".

Click.

I was standing in a bookstore and some dude came up to me and asked if I was interested in a insurance sales job opportunity. I was wearing ratty cutoff jorts stained from from my butcher shop job, and shoes with no socks. Guess which company he was pitching for!

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
Two years ago, I was in the grocery store and some guy compliments my jacket I'm wearing. I tell him thanks, and he says I must be doing well for myself. I tell him I'm doing alright, and start head on my way. He follows me and tells me I look like a business guy who knows a few things. Then he tells he's part of some new rapidly expanding financial company and he's looking for people like me to get on the ground floor and be a part of it.

I ask him- "Are you talking about Primerica?"
Him: "Well yes, but, how did you know?"
Me: "Back in early 2005, I got involved with Primerica by responding to a newspaper ad. I met up with a guy named Tom Mikula and he convinced me to pay $250 to attend some 3 day workshop about selling insurance and how the insurance business works. I didn't learn anything, it was all a bunch of financial mumbo-jumbo that flew over my head. It was just another MLM in disguise. Is Tom Mikula your sponsor?"
Him: "Yeah, but..."
Me: "Look, I don't want anything to do with this. I already wasted $250 and a weekend of my life on Primerica. Good day, and good luck. You'll need it"

The look on his face as I walked away was priceless.

To give a bit of background on my time with Primerica- I was barely 21 years old back in February 2005, just dropped out of college and was desperate for work. I answered some ad in the paper explaining "Willing to train a highly motivated individual for a rewarding career in financial services. Call Tom Mikula (xxx) xxx-xxxx." Ads like this are like the words of God to a desperate, gullible college dropout. So I call the number and arrange an interview. The guy explains how much money I can make, how big the company is getting, how experienced he is in the business and how his team members rise very quickly up the ranks, blah blah. Then he drops the bomb that I need to attend some "certification course" before I can get started I have to pay $250 for course materials and fees. I already smell a rat with this, but again I was desperate. So I pay and the following weekend I attend this course.

It's held in some tall, intimidating building about an hour drive from where I live and I feel unsafe having to walk through a long series of dark hallways and empty offices before I reach the classroom. When I arrive, I feel even worse upon seeing my fellow classmates. I'm dressed in a nice button up shirt and clean khakis, and half the guys are dressed in hoodies, ripped jeans and look like they could belong in a gang. One guy was talking to another guy saying he had to call his probation officer after class was done. Another girl in there was having an argument with her boyfriend on her phone before she tells him "look, I don't have time for this bullshit. I can hang out with whoever I want, and I don't care if you're jealous. Now I'm gonna gently caress off, I have class. Bye." I take a seat at an empty table and a couple minutes later the instructor arrives. Shortly after class begins, someone arrives late and sits next to me. He asks me for a cigarette, and I tell him I don't smoke.

Well, the class is two days worth of b.s. that all flies way over my head. I don't know jackshit about insurance and finance, and I can't remember a thing from the course. She goes into deep detail about insurance law, and tells us we need to be sure we know this stuff or we could get sued. But she also tells us don't worry, our sponsor will help guide us all the way through. Between feeling like I might get attacked by my fellow students and worrying about a lawsuit if I get this wrong, I'm scared stiff at this point. I know the course was deliberately confusing to try and instill a sense of dependence on the sponsor. After the second day was done, we all get some certificate that says "[person's name] has completed the necessary training and is now certified to conduct business with Primerica Inc." I wish I saved that certificate- it looked like some elementary school award for good attendance. I was so glad to be out of there when it was all done.

So I meet my sponsor the following Monday. He tells me to make a list of everyone I know and call them up to set up a meeting to discuss their finances. That was the last straw- bring some strange man along with me to meet my family and friends and try to sell them insurance and financial packages of which I didn't even understand myself. I told him I would like him to explain a few things to me before I started contacting people. He's persistent and tells me that we need to get to a fast start, and that everything will become clear as we go along. He also starts giving me poo poo and pressuring me about how he thought I was motivated and how he was impressed by me in the first interview. Some guy walking by harshly mentions "if you're not prepared to do what it takes and take a risk, then what are you even doing here?" I fill out a few names and tell him I'll call him back and leave. As I'm walking out, he tells me "look, don't waste my time. I'm taking a chance on you, don't let me down." As soon as I'm out of sight, I literally run down the hallway and the stairs back to my car. He calls me back later that night after 10:00 p.m. and I don't pick up. He calls me again the next day and leaves a message saying "look, you'll do great. Call me back and we'll get you going." No loving way was I going back to meet that deceptive, conniving son of a bitch.

I was out $250 and had to endure a weekend of intimidation and fear because of him. Yes, my own gullibility, desperation and laziness were ultimately to blame. But I learned my lesson hard and clear about Primerica and MLMs in general that way. drat Primerica to hell for preying on desperate and gullible people. drat all those shady MLM companies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I’m guessing the long game for them is they essentially get impressionable people to fork up straight cash, then use them as lead generation as it’s likely the people closest to them will at least consider the products in order to help their career. Once the leads dry up, you’re no longer of use to them and it’s over?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

So I’m guessing the long game for them is they essentially get impressionable people to fork up straight cash, then use them as lead generation as it’s likely the people closest to them will at least consider the products in order to help their career. Once the leads dry up, you’re no longer of use to them and it’s over?

The long game is probably rooted in impossible to charge-back payment methods for their new hires and classes and seminars.

Just another reason to hammer the point home to kids in school: if you're paying up front for a new job, it's probably not a real one or a good one.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Once the leads dry up, Primerica sends you out to recruit more gullible suckers so you can get a cut of their commission (it's a MLM.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
My guess is that they stay afloat by charging people for that class and make the real profit scamming those same people into having their relatives and friends buy useless insurance and financial products, while giving them a small cut. Maybe it's changed in the past 12 years, but I highly doubt it. My sponsor did mention something about being able to get a refund for the class, but I was too scared to ask for it. I'm sure I would have had to jump through all kinds of hoops and maybe even be required to set up meetings with people I know before I could get the refund. I'm just glad I never approached anyone and bailed out when I did- I know my family would have just signed up for something out of pity for me.

That's why I loathe the MLM business model so much- it's all dependent on getting money from and taking advantage of people you personally know and who presumably trust you.