Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Coffee makes me poop so I avoid it when backpacking.

I do hot chocolate (especially mexican hot chocolate) for a warm morning/evening drink instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Levitate posted:

You just do it cowboy coffee style while camping?
Correct.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

We drink via or G7 if you like sugar with your coffee. It’s not the best coffee on earth but it is light weight and drinkable on the trail

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Bustelo Supremo instant coffee is pretty loving good while hiking. Especially at altitude, it tastes like heaven. Much better than the Starbucks via, and much cheaper.

I'm intrigued... Do they have single serve packets for the supreme, or only for the expresso? I also agree, Starbucks Viao is crap coffee--even in store they just suck at black coffee.

I'm a big fan of the Nescafe blend instant packets, and a huge roast-every-now-and-then-french-press-erryday snob. A good cuppa joe on cold mornings or overlooking a spectacular spot is hands down my favorite part of backpacking--there's nothing that makes coffee taste ten thousand times better than the smug satisfaction of an amazing vista.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

It comes in a glass bottle, I just put some in a ziploc bag. Two scoops per ~8 ounces does me well.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Do you guys have any recomendations for small tents I could take hiking? I live in Queensland Australia, so it doesn't need to be able to withstand snow, but it does need to be able to survive a tropical thunderstorm (strong wind, keeps me dry in torrential rain).

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 10, 2017

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm seeking gloves that can stay dry and keep me warm in the mountains & snow for a long time. At a good price, though - not the $75.00-$120.00 tags I see at REI.

You guys recommended me those Cascade MountainTech trekking poles for thirty bucks at Costco and they still own after 2.5 yrs... any deals (not necessarily at Costco) at this caliber of awesomeness but with good Winter gloves?

Hungryjack posted:

I still swear by most of what Costco has to offer.

those "32 Degree" leggings and shirts they sell are great. got an extra leggings for cheap, well worth it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm seeking gloves that can stay dry and keep me warm in the mountains & snow for a long time. At a good price, though - not the $75.00-$120.00 tags I see at REI.

You guys recommended me those Cascade MountainTech trekking poles for thirty bucks at Costco and they still own after 2.5 yrs... any deals (not necessarily at Costco) at this caliber of awesomeness but with good Winter gloves?

those "32 Degree" leggings and shirts they sell are great. got an extra leggings for cheap, well worth it.

Costco has been a really great secret for affordable outdoor gear. I've got the poles, long underwear etc. Keep any eye on their clothing options as well. I've seen a lot of marmot, spider, orvis, Columbia, gerry, etc at great prices. They usually sell a pair of thin gloves made by head that are great for most hikes when you need something to keep your hands warm but not full fledged ski gloves. Not waterproof though.

Kinco gloves are pretty great all around gloves. They are leather and seem to always keep my hands pretty warm unless it's bitter cold into the single digits in which case you can get the lined versions or wear liners inside. Use snoseal to waterproof and bake it in. Lots of skiers and resort workers wear them. Cheap, durable, warm, waterproof when treated. Just make sure they fit. Slightly bigger is better than slightly too small. That room keeps warm air in the glove. Too tight and there's no room for warm air and your hands get cold.

Most of their gloves are less than $30 but some of their nicer gloves get more expensive. Just Google kinco and skiing, you'll see all the love they get. I like them even more for non skiing activities like winter hiking and mountaineering because since they are leather, they are more rugged than nylon while also providing better grip on things like poles and tools. Try to avoid the versions with cotton. I prefer the full leather ones. Also, some leather is softer and more dexterous than others. Maybe try to find some place that sells them in store.

I keep a pair in my truck at all times. I bring a pair camping especially for running a saw and gathering firewood.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

No gloves really stay warm and dry in tough conditions. Eventually everything wets through. The answer is to get multiple pairs and rotate them. I have brought as many as three or four pairs of gloves for a day trip during winter conditions - I don't use most of them but two pairs for the climb and a pair or two as backup makes sense.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Seconding Kinco gloves with snoseal. I have a pair of mittens that I use belaying while out ice climbing and they work great. They don't look particularly good, but they are cheap and warm and waterproof if you keep up with snoseal every now and then.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

Do you guys have any recomendations for small tents I could take hiking? I live in Queensland Australia, so it doesn't need to be able to withstand snow, but it does need to be able to survive a tropical thunderstorm (strong wind, keeps me dry in torrential rain).

Do you use hiking poles? If yes, consider models from https://www.yamamountaingear.com/shelter-systems/

If you need a longer tent just ask for a custom order. They require a ton of stakes but you can use like 4x 14 gram Y stakes for corners and lighter 8g stakes for the rest. 1 person cirriform weighs around 900g with stakes so it's even quite lightweight.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Another place worth checking out is the REI Garage discount site. You can get 50% - 70% discounts as long as you're not particular about brand or color, especially if you're already an REI member and take advantage of their regular sales periods.

Right now you could pick up a decent tent for $100 on their site: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/130891/alps-mountaineering-taurus-2-tent

Or ski gloves for $20: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/889755/gordini-aquabloc-down-gloves-mens

Kaal fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 10, 2017

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Let's talk about REI Garage, specifically, what effect do you think it will have on their garage sales? If the good stuff goes back online and only the dregs end up in the garage sale, then I don't see any compelling reason to go to bother with them.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

Let's talk about REI Garage, specifically, what effect do you think it will have on their garage sales? If the good stuff goes back online and only the dregs end up in the garage sale, then I don't see any compelling reason to go to bother with them.

They just renamed the "REI Outlet" on their website to "REI Garage." It shouldn't change anything.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Hungryjack posted:

REI Garage is literally nothing to do with their garage sale aside from sharing the word "garage" in their name.

REI Garage is just an outlet version of REI, usually the remainders of last seasons stuff, some overruns, weird colors/sizes, things that didn't sell or were reviewed poorly, discontinued models, and sometimes items that were made by the manufacturer to hit a specific pricepoint destined for the outlet similar to a direct to DVD movie.

Their actual garage sales are where the returns and damaged items are up for grabs and are still absolutely worth the hassle depending on your needs. I've scored some great deals.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

He’s referring to REI rolling out a used gear site. I don’t know if it’s called garage or not.

Edit: https://www.rei.com/used

There we go

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 10, 2017

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

He’s referring to REI rolling out a used gear site. I don’t know if it’s called garage or not.

Yeah my bad. That's what I was referring to.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oh cool.

I honestly think that they just get so much returned stuff that they need to try every possible avenue to get rid of it. I don't see them doing away with the in store garage sales anytime soon, they attract customers who roam the store and buy non-garage sale stuff as well. Anything that gets people physically into stores is always good for business.

Stores could just garage sale the returned stuff they get in that store, the website could probably survive just off what people return through the mail or if certain stores just have too many returned items. I don't really see them picking and choosing the best items to be sold online, that seems like way too much leg work for each piece of gear. Also, big expensive oversized pieces of gear are not part of the used beta but are in the garage sales. Car racks, skis and snowboards, bikes, cargo carriers etc can't be sold online. Its just a beta as well so who knows if this will take off or fizzle out in the next year.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What's your budget and how big are you? Do you use trekking poles? Do you want a traditional free-standing tent that uses poles? Do you want to try a tarp setup?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

I love my REI quarter dome 1; it’s roomy, sturdy, and pretty weather tight. I used to bivy but that sucks after a while - there’s something nice about having room to move around while in your bag. I picked up the Quarterdome on a whim and won’t use my bivy any more. The QD is super light and weighs about the same as my bivy to.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't really get bivys. You can get double walled tents for under 1kg. It is worth every gram to haul a lightweight tent with you.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Copper Spur 2 was amazing for one person. A bit pricey though but lightweight and roomy.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It is now acceptable to be out in the desert to hike! This morning I took a trip to the Coyote Mountains out in the Sonoran Desert to hike the Domelands Trail, about 1.5 hours east of San Diego.

NAF El Centro is not too far east of Ocotillo, and there is a naval gunnery range that encompasses part of the eastern Coyote Mountains, so I saw these training aircraft flying by every 45 minutes or so.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
REI in Seattle has a small section that is dedicated to used/returned gear all the time now. I went through it a few days ago and saw a couple items that I would have gladly picked up if I didn't already own them. Lots of "too crinkly" sleeping pads and "not warm enough" sleeping bags, but a few items were returned (and put back up for sale!) with defects or obvious issues.

One caveat was that the used section is "all sales are final" so you have to be really confident that the previous person didn't return it for a good reason. There was a pair of perfect looking $200 mountaineering boots in my size, returned for being "not waterproof" that I wasn't willing to gamble on. I don't think I'll buy anything from the used online store since you don't know how messed up it is until you receive the item.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Aardvark posted:

It is now acceptable to be out in the desert to hike! This morning I took a trip to the Coyote Mountains out in the Sonoran Desert to hike the Domelands Trail, about 1.5 hours east of San Diego.

NAF El Centro is not too far east of Ocotillo, and there is a naval gunnery range that encompasses part of the eastern Coyote Mountains, so I saw these training aircraft flying by every 45 minutes or so.

But did you see a walrus?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Speaking of REI, they're currently doing a pre-xmas sale. Are the deals on full-price gear ever particularly interesting? Looks like 30% or more on some stuff.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Speaking of REI, they're currently doing a pre-xmas sale. Are the deals on full-price gear ever particularly interesting? Looks like 30% or more on some stuff.

The store-wide 20% off is good for poo poo that almost always sells for MSRP everywhere. I just ordered a neo air xlite. Other than stuff like that, their prices are usually more than 20% above everyone else to begin with.

I'm looking at single-person tents myself. I think I'm going to buy a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo because it packs down tiny and only uses one pole, which makes it easier to carry for bicycle touring/bikepacking. I've never used a non-freestanding tent before - is it going to be a lot harder to find adequate places to pitch it as compared to a more conventional tent like a Big Agnes Fly Creek?

e: Six Moon has a dealer listed for prison island.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 11, 2017

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Electoral Surgery posted:

I don't think I'll buy anything from the used online store since you don't know how messed up it is until you receive the item.

Their online used store comes with a 30 day return policy but yore responsible for shipping and you can't return to store.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

I've never used a non-freestanding tent before - is it going to be a lot harder to find adequate places to pitch it as compared to a more conventional tent like a Big Agnes Fly Creek?

It shouldn't be.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I borrowed snowshoes for a hike today which was a blast. I think I'm going to try snowshoeing a lot this winter. Any advice on how to buy inexpensive snowshoes? Go used, maybe?

Clark Nova posted:

The store-wide 20% off is good for poo poo that almost always sells for MSRP everywhere. I just ordered a neo air xlite. Other than stuff like that, their prices are usually more than 20% above everyone else to begin with.

Yeah, true. Lately I've been liking the REI-brand gear which is at least less overpriced than most of the stuff there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I borrowed snowshoes for a hike today which was a blast. I think I'm going to try snowshoeing a lot this winter. Any advice on how to buy inexpensive snowshoes? Go used, maybe?

Yeah, true. Lately I've been liking the REI-brand gear which is at least less overpriced than most of the stuff there.

Used snowshoes are usually easy to find because people buy them and go once realizing its more work than hiking alone and its cold. You should have no problem finding a used set cheap. I really like the msr style with the metal edge (revo ascent) versus the traditional tubular style because they grip better but they get pricey. Rei garage sales (in places with snow) likely have sets that people return after one trip. That's how I got mine. Also, places near me that rent snowshoes often sell the rentals every year or so for ridiculously cheap.

Rei has a sale right now and a 20% off coupon.

Costco usually has a pair with poles for under $100 but I can't speak to the quality of them at all, but being Costco you can always return them. My biggest issues are weight and bindings. Heavy snowshoes can be tiring over long miles. Uncomfortable bindings can ruin a pair of snowshoes for me. I also like having heel lifts for step terrain. With snowshoes you should look into some leg gators as well. They keep the snow from getting into your boots and under your pants.

Verman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 12, 2017

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Go tubular for at least a season or two. They're much cheaper and the bindings are often the most expensive part so they're still comfortable. You don't need $300 MSR ascents for forest service road snowshoeing and most trails.

Atlas has lots of mid-range options that work for most terrain.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I vastly prefer Atlas bindings, at least the cloth ones. They work really nicely.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Aardvark posted:

You didn't step on any cyanobacteria soil patches, did you?

Clark Nova posted:

I'm looking at single-person tents myself. I think I'm going to buy a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo because it packs down tiny and only uses one pole, which makes it easier to carry for bicycle touring/bikepacking. I've never used a non-freestanding tent before - is it going to be a lot harder to find adequate places to pitch it as compared to a more conventional tent like a Big Agnes Fly Creek?

e: Six Moon has a dealer listed for prison island.

The big thing you'll have to watch out for is pitching it on rocky areas and soils not deep enough to accommodate your stakes. Might make it more difficult to find an adequate place to set up in certain areas, but should be perfectly doable otherwise

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 12, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ihmemies posted:

Do you use hiking poles? If yes, consider models from https://www.yamamountaingear.com/shelter-systems/

If you need a longer tent just ask for a custom order. They require a ton of stakes but you can use like 4x 14 gram Y stakes for corners and lighter 8g stakes for the rest. 1 person cirriform weighs around 900g with stakes so it's even quite lightweight.

I don't. I probably should but I pretty exclusively climb mountains that have scrambles, where I can't use them.

Kaal posted:

Right now you could pick up a decent tent for $100 on their site: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/130891/alps-mountaineering-taurus-2-tent

This tent seems really well liked, and I can get it on Amazon shipped here for a pretty good price

khysanth posted:

What's your budget and how big are you? Do you use trekking poles? Do you want a traditional free-standing tent that uses poles? Do you want to try a tarp setup?

I'm happy to spend whatever gets me the best price:performance. I'm 6'2, and skinny. I don't use hiking poles, and I'd rather not go with a tarp.

Braincloud posted:

I love my REI quarter dome 1; it’s roomy, sturdy, and pretty weather tight. I used to bivy but that sucks after a while - there’s something nice about having room to move around while in your bag. I picked up the Quarterdome on a whim and won’t use my bivy any more. The QD is super light and weighs about the same as my bivy to.

I'll have a look at the QD. A bivy would be cool, but Brisbane weather is pretty unpredictable, even meteorologists struggle. If I'm caught out in a storm in just a bivy, I'd probably be pretty miserable.

OSU_Matthew posted:

The big thing you'll have to watch out for is pitching it on rocky areas and soils not deep enough to accommodate your stakes. Might make it more difficult to find an adequate place to set up in certain areas, but should be perfectly doable otherwise
Struggling with rocky areas might suck if I go to the granite belt, there's no dirt at all on those mountains

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 12, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At least there will be rocks :v: put rocks on top of tent lines and hope it won't get too windy.

Or jam the line with stake between bigger rocks or something.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ihmemies posted:

At least there will be rocks :v: put rocks on top of tent lines and hope it won't get too windy.

Or jam the line with stake between bigger rocks or something.

If it comes to this, tie the guy lines to rocks or trees.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Rope can be coaxed to binding on nearly anything that isn't as smooth as the Monolith with the correct knots and sufficient length. Stakes are usually small enough to fit crevices and will hold when under sideways tension; they can also be wedged into wide rocky areas and tied from the middle. Stuff sacks of sand or gravel will work except in high wind. Even a 2L water bladder weighs 4#

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My bro and I took Friday off work to do a little hiking. We decided to go to a park on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay as walking down into and up out out of brackish marshes all day would be fun. We did something like 1900' of elevation gain but never made it more then like 150' above sealevel.

It was fun other then my knees wanting to fall off. I think I am done with heavy leather backpacking boot and am just going to buy a new pair if foam/rubber/cloth ones every season.

Also my bro found a hole just for him:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

My bro and I took Friday off work to do a little hiking. We decided to go to a park on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay as walking down into and up out out of brackish marshes all day would be fun. We did something like 1900' of elevation gain but never made it more then like 150' above sealevel.

It was fun other then my knees wanting to fall off. I think I am done with heavy leather backpacking boot and am just going to buy a new pair if foam/rubber/cloth ones every season.

Also my bro found a hole just for him:

I used to be all about the boots, but about the last dozen or so backpacking trips I've been on since my ten year old Lowas blew out in Grayson Highlands earlier this year, have been with my trail runners, and I've gotta say, I really love em. I haven't done any winter camping yet and might stick with boots for that, but I haven't worn them for awhile now, even after getting them back after being resoled in Germany.

I think I still prefer the boots if I'm going to be in a muddy spot like Dolly Sods or Cranberry Wilderness, but I've got my pack down to 23ish pounds with food and 2L water, and I couldn't be happier. The main downside I've found is that my trail runners just don't really ever quite fully dry out, especially overnight, whereas I never had that issue with my boots. But otherwise I don't think I'm going back from the trail runners.