Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is PJ Masks a Pandora's Box that I should consider opening? My kid was asking about it when a commercial came on the other day. Better, worse, or a lateral move from that bloody Paw Patrol?

I think it’s a lateral move.

Gecko boy and Owlette and someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
PJ MASKS PJ MASKS PJ MASKS PJ MASKS

PJ MASKS!

Jk I really love the show. Kiddo has talks to me as I am Owlette, he is CatBoy, and husband is Gecko. The villains are also good, because they all kind of get along, and they learn lessons during their superhero stuff. I like it. Also on Netflix if you don’t record on DVR.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Why the hate for Curious George?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Cheesus posted:

Why the hate for Curious George?

Curious George is a monkey who regularly does dangerous and/or stupid things, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake and in one book literally doing millions of dollars in damages...and never, ever gets punished or reprimanded or anything for his antics. If anything, he's praised for them. None of the adults around George act rationally, and seem more than content to let him gently caress up.

The show tones it down a bit from the books, but its educational value is lacking in my estimation, and the moral lessons it teaches children are deeply problematic. I understand not everything needs a moral or to be educational; sometimes entertainment is just entertainment. But Curious George actively undermines values I want my kids to have.

Also, George chitters, and all the humans around him understand him. Therefore, my children decided that they could chitter, and then got upset when I and my spouse couldn't understand them.

Plus: the Man in the Yellow Hat owns a Manhattan condo, a beach house, and a home in the country, and appears to have no actual job at all. Not the shining example of an adult I'd like my kids to see.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I hate Curious George too. In addition to the previous poster I'll add that since he has no tail he's not really a monkey but some sort of ape. In the original story he was trapped from a jungle and kept as a pet which is lovely.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
No TV or screens for my kid. Gonna ride that high horse a good long while.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Axiem posted:

Curious George is a monkey who regularly does dangerous and/or stupid things, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake and in one book literally doing millions of dollars in damages...and never, ever gets punished or reprimanded or anything for his antics. If anything, he's praised for them. None of the adults around George act rationally, and seem more than content to let him gently caress up.

The show tones it down a bit from the books, but its educational value is lacking in my estimation, and the moral lessons it teaches children are deeply problematic. I understand not everything needs a moral or to be educational; sometimes entertainment is just entertainment. But Curious George actively undermines values I want my kids to have.

Would you describe Clifford in the exact same way? I would. I still read them to her though because is 2 and it is a big dog.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Chin Strap posted:

Would you describe Clifford in the exact same way? I would. I still read them to her though because is 2 and it is a big dog.

I can see how you wouldn't have the same issues with clifford- harder to project onto a dog than a monkey...ape...whatever.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Also George both talks and is treated like a child, rather than a pet like Clifford, no? I'm no big fan of Clifford either but I think his behaviour is a little more excusable.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
OK, I haven't read Curious George, but we have a 2 Clifford minimum she demands nightly so that's what I'm used to. I was curious as to what I was missing because I'm usually on the lookout for that sort of stuff. Thanks!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I’ve not read any of the Clifford books, and what little I’ve seen of the TV show seems more innocuous. It’s not something that gets much play in our house (whereas at one point my daughter was constantly asking for Curious George, so I saw enough to be like WTF?).

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I guess Clifford’s stuff is more to him being a well, big red dog? But I get the reasoning with curious George. It’s similar to the Caillou reasoning, he’s so goddamn whiny.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ours is a rotation of his lordship, Daniel Tiger then maybe Bubble Guppies or Steve-era Blue's Clues. I did find a cute short show on Amazon called Mojang that's kind of like Pingu in that is doesn't have actual words but is adorable.

Yes, Pingu is a little poo poo but we love him just the same.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Our 5-month old's eyes seem to be a little off. They were perfectly aligned at 2 and 3 months, but if her left eye is facing straight ahead, her right eye is slightly closer to her nose. Is this kind of fluctuation at this point normal?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Red posted:

Our 5-month old's eyes seem to be a little off. They were perfectly aligned at 2 and 3 months, but if her left eye is facing straight ahead, her right eye is slightly closer to her nose. Is this kind of fluctuation at this point normal?

Ask your pediatrician.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

How much Curious George are you reading to her? That could be the cause.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Red posted:

I also saw that in my son and he was fine after some time; but as said before, ask your pediatrician just in case.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It's kind of funny, but the most intriguing thing my son watches is...

The Roku screensaver, a gentle pan of a silhoutted cityscape.

He loves that thing - pointing out the lights and their colors, spelling out the words, identifying the shapes, knowing things will come back around, point out which towers don't have blinking lights.

It's like a visual exploration thing, I guess?

It's a weird request but are there any videos like that - just pans of simplified landscapes where he can spot things and talk about things and interact with me to explain and describe what he's seeing? Because he seems to genuinely like that, and it's frustrating that the best part of TV is a screensaver hahah.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

It's kind of funny, but the most intriguing thing my son watches is...

The Roku screensaver, a gentle pan of a silhoutted cityscape.

He loves that thing - pointing out the lights and their colors, spelling out the words, identifying the shapes, knowing things will come back around, point out which towers don't have blinking lights.

It's like a visual exploration thing, I guess?

It's a weird request but are there any videos like that - just pans of simplified landscapes where he can spot things and talk about things and interact with me to explain and describe what he's seeing? Because he seems to genuinely like that, and it's frustrating that the best part of TV is a screensaver hahah.

The Planet Earth and similar docs are pretty good for that. You can also have a look at the films Baraka and Samsara. My kid liked these a lot when she was younger.

http://www.barakasamsara.com/baraka/about

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
After two days at the hospital I need to say this to everyone : buy a Baby Vac. It's a nasal aspirator that you plug into an actual vacuum (yeah you read that right). It was recommended by the pediatrician and it's ridiculously amazing it's pretty much as good as the medical ones. Also it only cost 30$ canadian so probably like 20$ US.

I just used it on myself and I know that from now on, for the rest of my life I will need one in my life when I have a cold. Mixed with Hydrasense or similar stuff, I'm confident that we will reduce the amount of ear infections in our household by a poo poo ton

Have a video, everyone needs to see that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTE1X3pC0l8

Sorry if I sound like an ad, that poo poo just changed my life. Regular nasal aspirator just seem so stupid now.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
We've only got a shop vac, will that still work?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Chin Strap posted:

We've only got a shop vac, will that still work?

Yeah you just put the end of the tube in the hose. It's cone shaped so it should fit pretty much any vacuum.

Just used it on the 1 month old and it took out a stupid amount of mucus. At least 3x what I get with the aspirator you suck in.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

KingColliwog posted:

Yeah you just put the end of the tube in the hose. It's cone shaped so it should fit pretty much any vacuum.

Just used it on the 1 month old and it took out a stupid amount of mucus. At least 3x what I get with the aspirator you suck in.

Oh I was joking, that sounds like it would be too powerful from a shop vac.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Chin Strap posted:

Oh I was joking, that sounds like it would be too powerful from a shop vac.

Nope, it's still fine. It regulates pressure inside so it'S not too strong. Anything under 1500w is ok to use. I know it all sounds insane, but it's the best freaking thing ever.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 10, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife took our 2-year-old to the pediatrician toda because she's had a fever off and on for a couple days, a cough, and low appetite. The pediatrician said it's likely strep, but they don't diagnose it, much less treat it, on children under 3. Is that right? If she does have strep, how long will she be contagious without medication?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

hooah posted:

My wife took our 2-year-old to the pediatrician toda because she's had a fever off and on for a couple days, a cough, and low appetite. The pediatrician said it's likely strep, but they don't diagnose it, much less treat it, on children under 3. Is that right? If she does have strep, how long will she be contagious without medication?

My 16 month old had low appetite/refusal to eat and fever for a week or so and they tested her for strep with a throat swab and the flu with a nasal swab. I got her tested again because I work at a hospital(as a computer programmer) and we wanted to see if she was a candidate for a research project we're doing and did another nasal swab diagnosing her with Croup. I don't see why they wouldn't test her for strep, treatment is antibiotics which my kid has taken plenty of before the age of 3 and the test isn't particularly traumatic.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah we def got tested for strep around 2 or so (it came back negative so I can't answer the rest).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yes they treat strep. It's miserable for like a month and potentially dangerous in some cases too without antibiotics. They start feeling better like in a day with medicine.

Find yourself a new ped ASAP

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/strep-throat/symptoms-causes/syc-20350338

sheri fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 11, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

http://rebelem.com/patients-strep-throat-need-treated-antibiotics/

This looks like some arguments for not treating with antibiotics.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

n8r posted:

n8r posted:

He seems to be making some unsupported assumptions about data in those studies - the comment thread is really interesting, especially the bit at the end about transmitting the infection.

My kid got scarlet fever from a strep infection, so, yeah, I’m on the hell-yes-treat side.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I have no opinion one way or the other. My guess is the ped thinks that you need to be really careful about antibiotic uses. It sounds like often times kids get over strep just fine without them.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I booked a night in a swanky hotel for my wife's birthday. My brother agreed to babysit, and we were really looking forward to our first proper getaway alone since our son was born nearly 5 years ago.

Then he got sick yesterday, and was still sick today. Nothing too serious, just a nasty cough and blocked nose, but we ended up bringing him with us just in case it got worse overnight as his illnesses often seem to.

And now we're both sick too. And he's on the mend, as loud and boisterous as ever.

:cmon:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
"Hah, that'll teach dad not to try go get it on with MY MOTHER again."

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Went back this morning and saw one of the other doctors. He did a quick test that came up negative; we'll see if get the results if the culture Monday. She's got quote the cough and a runny nose, too, so strep is seeming less likely.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

rgocs posted:

"Hah, that'll teach dad not to try go get it on with MY MOTHER again."

If my son asks why he doesn't have any siblings he's going to be told "Because you never slept."

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Alterian posted:

If my son asks why he doesn't have any siblings he's going to be told "Because you never slept."

Haha. Same.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We got some Safety 1st drawer/cabinet latches (like this) for a couple of drawers, but when I went to put them on I realized I can't get close enough to vertical with my drill due to the brace/panel under the drawer. Are there any other brands/styles that would attach more easily to the underside of the upper part?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

hooah posted:

We got some Safety 1st drawer/cabinet latches (like this) for a couple of drawers, but when I went to put them on I realized I can't get close enough to vertical with my drill due to the brace/panel under the drawer. Are there any other brands/styles that would attach more easily to the underside of the upper part?

We got these I think (or something more or less identical) and they were pretty easy to install with no drilling. I didn't put any on the drawers though just the bigger cabinet doors. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a drawer though.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So family babysitting can be a bad idea. Our plan to hold off on a tablet as long as possible got completely subverted. The amazing thing is the only time he says "dada" is pointing at something my husband wrote. Won't say it to his face, but he can recognize my husband's handwriting and point at it and say "dada". Ok then...

Anyone have any suggestions for a good toddler life jacket for a smaller sized kid? Ours is almost 17 months, but still only 20lbs or so. We just got a gym with a really nice pool, and I want to start teaching him how to be comfortable in the water and to think water is fun, but even the shallow end is like a foot above his head, and I'd like him to have a decent range of motion so we can start with some basics of how to move through the water so if something happens and I get pulled away from him he can get to the edge of the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

AA is for Quitters posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a good toddler life jacket for a smaller sized kid? Ours is almost 17 months, but still only 20lbs or so. We just got a gym with a really nice pool, and I want to start teaching him how to be comfortable in the water and to think water is fun, but even the shallow end is like a foot above his head, and I'd like him to have a decent range of motion so we can start with some basics of how to move through the water so if something happens and I get pulled away from him he can get to the edge of the pool.

As an alternative viewpoint: we never used one from 6 months old on. You are basically just holding them, but they can still learn to swim while being held. Our swim class instructors recommend against a life jack or puddle jumper or whatever because it doesn't teach them how the water really feels.