Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dag nabbit, and I just spent eight bucks on fifty write-once NFC tags!

That's pretty cool and honestly why I like hacking my systems. I don't even like doing stuff with them, but I like having the theoretical potential ability to do those kinds of things.

Maybe next someone will make the 3DS simulate a Joycon so I can get some zero-money precision D-padding in for my, uh, Picross or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I still don't get how there's no way to play regular DS games directly off the SD card. The system can play the carts just fine, so it has the hardware ability to run all of them just fine, and yet no one has figured out a method to play them without a flash cart.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fuzz posted:

I still don't get how there's no way to play regular DS games directly off the SD card. The system can play the carts just fine, so it has the hardware ability to run all of them just fine, and yet no one has figured out a method to play them without a flash cart.

It’s kinda possible with some games but progress seems slow on compatibility.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Hammer Bro. posted:

Dag nabbit, and I just spent eight bucks on fifty write-once NFC!

Doesn’t that enable you to write to those tags using your 3DS?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If anyone is looking to do Amiibo stuff but don't want to buy a N2 Elite or an Android phone to back up Amiibo, you can have your hacked 3DS do it:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/beta-thenaya-tagmo-for-3ds.475870/

Has mostly the same features and limitations as TagMo.

Can you use this to make your 3DS work like an amiibo to unlock stuff on Switch/Wii U/other 3DSes?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can you use this to make your 3DS work like an amiibo to unlock stuff on Switch/Wii U/other 3DSes?

No. Strictly for dumping your Amiibo or writing blank NFC tags just like TagMo does.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

It's because the sytem doesn't emulate being a DS to play DS games, it just uses the DS-like hardware present in the system to boot "as a DS" and play it directly as a DS would. Which means, hard-coded low-latency reading directly from the hardware cart slot which has like 13 access pins instead of the 5 or so on a (micro-)SD card.

The SD-slot in the 3DS is rear end and doesn't provide the neccessary latency to just switch everything over from "read the inputs from the cart slot hardware" to "read from the SD slot hardware".

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 4, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

No. Strictly for dumping your Amiibo or writing blank NFC tags just like TagMo does.

Ahh, still pretty useful. I grabbed one of those powertag sets from GameStop when they were on clearance.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

HenryEx posted:

It's because the sytem doesn't emulate being a DS to play DS games, it just uses the DS-like hardware present in the system to boot "as a DS" and play it directly as a DS would. Which means, hard-coded low-latency reading directly from the hardware cart slot which has like 13 access pins instead of the 5 or so on a (micro-)SD card.

The SD-slot in the 3DS is rear end and doesn't provide the neccessary latency to just switch everything over from "read the inputs from the cart slot hardware" to "read from the SD slot hardware".

Ahhh, now that makes sense. Bummer, guess I gotta get a flashcart.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I heard there is a recent DSi cracked firmware or something, is it worth doing? I kept one around because playing DS games on 3DS looks so bad

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

I heard there is a recent DSi cracked firmware or something, is it worth doing? I kept one around because playing DS games on 3DS looks so bad

Huh? DSi didn't really need any thing special beyond refreshed flash carts. You might be thinking of ntrboothax which allows hacking 3DS's with DS flash carts.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If anyone is looking to do Amiibo stuff but don't want to buy a N2 Elite or an Android phone to back up Amiibo, you can have your hacked 3DS do it:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/beta-thenaya-tagmo-for-3ds.475870/

Has mostly the same features and limitations as TagMo.

Will this write to a PowerTag?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Will this write to a PowerTag?

Don't know. A couple people have asked in the GBATemp thread but I didn't see an answer for it. I know TagMo added that feature a couple months ago however. That happened in September I think while the latest version of Thenaya was built in August, so might not be able to at the moment.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hammer Bro. posted:

Dag nabbit, and I just spent eight bucks on fifty write-once NFC tags!

When did NTAG215s get that cheap? I've only seen prices rise after amiibo duping became more widespread.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I wasn't in a hurry, and AliExpress had free shipping.

I don't remember the exact cost, but they were pretty darn cheap. Which is good, because I've only used two, and I botched the first one.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

African AIDS cum posted:

If you hold START or SELECT while booting a DS(or gba, or gbc) game, it will launch at native resolution

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
If you love big crisp pixels there's nothing like the DSi XL.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Don't know. A couple people have asked in the GBATemp thread but I didn't see an answer for it. I know TagMo added that feature a couple months ago however. That happened in September I think while the latest version of Thenaya was built in August, so might not be able to at the moment.

Hmm... maybe I'll just give it a shot anyway, is there a risk of me ruining my PowerTag?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
There is always a chance.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Huh? DSi didn't really need any thing special beyond refreshed flash carts. You might be thinking of ntrboothax which allows hacking 3DS's with DS flash carts.

This is not responsive to my question which is asking if this https://dsiguide.me is worth doing.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

African AIDS cum posted:

This is not responsive to my question which is asking if this https://dsiguide.me is worth doing.

Do you want to install DSiWare games, play mods of them, or be able to back up their saves?
Do you have a flash cart you want to use that is blocked on the latest firmware?
Do you have DSi homebrew you want to use and/or want to access it from the DSi menu? I think the only reason CFW would be required for this is if you don't have a flash cart that runs in DSi mode, which is probably most of them.
Do you have an insatiable desire to have all your Nintendo consoles hacked?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then probably.

If you answered no then I don't think it will benefit you in any way shape or form.

If all you do is play DS games on it, and have a flash cart to play those games on it, then no, it's not worth bothering with. I don't know if any of the DSiWare crap was any good. If anything was and I had a DSi, I'd probably go for it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think the only DSiWare game of note was Risky's Revenge, which got ported to everything else anyway.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think the only DSiWare game of note was Risky's Revenge, which got ported to everything else anyway.

There were a few decent ones like Nintendo’s games and stuff like Mr. Driller and Bomberman.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Don't forget the slightly improved port of Zelda: Four Swords (not to be confused with Gamecube's Four Swords Adventure)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Uh hey, general question, but is my oldass Supercard DS2 dead if the carts not being sensed in three different 3DSs (vanilla and New XL)? Usually it can have an issue connecting at times, but yeah, nothing despite trying both like twenty times.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sorry to be a bother but I've got a question that I'm having a hell of a time finding an answer for.

I've been trying to use jgecko u to cheat at Hyrule Warriors. I've never done homebrew stuff before but after hours of messing about, I finally managed to get the homebrew launcher to appear and I was able to load it up. After loading it up and then going back to the home menu, I'd open up hyrule warriors as well as the jgecko u program and I'd connect to the wii u's IP. I have a list of codes that are for the current version of hyrule warriors and the homebrew stuff I was using was said to work on the current wii u version, 5.5.2, and I double checked to make sure there weren't any version problems. So jgecko u connects successfully and I can load up the code xml just fine and I can enable codes and send codes and it tells me everything is working fine, codes were sent successfully, all fine and dandy.

Except nothing happens in game. I know jgecko is connected because I can see the information it is pulling from the game and because before I got to this point, sometimes I'd accidentally make the game crash through jgecko sending stuff to it.

Basically, I have no clue what I'm doing and there is a trainer for hyrule warriors that I wasn't able to get working (and someone else from last month on another forum stated that said trainer wasn't working so I guess that's an issue) and so all I have is this code xml and I can't get the codes to work. There's gotta be something I'm missing here but I don't know enough about homebrew and cheating using it to know what I should look for.

Can anybody please help me? I'd greatly appreciate it. :\

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Last Celebration posted:

Uh hey, general question, but is my oldass Supercard DS2 dead if the carts not being sensed in three different 3DSs (vanilla and New XL)? Usually it can have an issue connecting at times, but yeah, nothing despite trying both like twenty times.

Yeah probably. An r4 is like twenty bucks though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray, I finally got things working on the 2DS. I feel like a giant hackerman now. Turns out it works a lot better when you put the files on the right loving SD card I am an idiot.

Oh well, I have hacked some pokemans into Sun

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah probably. An r4 is like twenty bucks though.

I thought only the Supercard wasn’t phased out by updates though. Oh well, if I just need to buy a new one it’s hardly the end of the world even if I only ever used its savestates sparingly.

Edit: googling says they made a new one called the Supercard DS2 Plus, not that I care about pirating games but I always had connection issues with the old Supercard and if the new one’s made for 3DS then maybe that isn’t an issue? I’m guessing no one really knows though.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 12, 2017

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Other than ntrboot, you don't need a flashcart for anything 3DS, only for DS games and homebrew.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have the Supercard DSTwo Plus and it works great on 3DS but I only use it for DS stuff

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone have a good reliable site that's relatively inexpensive for getting an R4 or the like?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fuzz posted:

Anyone have a good reliable site that's relatively inexpensive for getting an R4 or the like?

http://www.nds-card.com/ worked for me. Some have had issues with credit cards being compromised but paying them with PayPal should be safe. I got my R4 in less than a week from them.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Last Celebration posted:

I thought only the Supercard wasn’t phased out by updates though. Oh well, if I just need to buy a new one it’s hardly the end of the world even if I only ever used its savestates sparingly.

Yeah but that's because they kept updating it to bypass blocks. Do you have the latest DSTWO firmware installed?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SeANMcBAY posted:

http://www.nds-card.com/ worked for me. Some have had issues with credit cards being compromised but paying them with PayPal should be safe. I got my R4 in less than a week from them.

Yeah I used them too and paid via Paypal. I ordered shortly after NTR Boot was released though so it took me about 3 weeks to get my R4.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Keito posted:

Yeah but that's because they kept updating it to bypass blocks. Do you have the latest DSTWO firmware installed?

On my old dead(?) one, yeah. I can still just boot up a vanilla DS to install the firmware into a new card then pop it it the New 3DS, right?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Last Celebration posted:

On my old dead(?) one, yeah. I can still just boot up a vanilla DS to install the firmware into a new card then pop it it the New 3DS, right?

Yeah that should be doable. If the DS recognizes it but 3DS won't, it's just a matter of flashing the latest firmware on there (not just the EOS).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m playing Pokémon White on my R4i Gold, is there any way to transfer Pokémon to Pokémon X from that?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m playing Pokémon White on my R4i Gold, is there any way to transfer Pokémon to Pokémon X from that?

Poke Transfer and Poke Bank can.

http://www.pokemonbank.com/en-us/bank/

Edit: Oh, haha, this is the homebrew thread. Not sure on that front unfortunately. But seeing as it is Pokemon, there's bound to be a tool for this sort of thing.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
You could copy/paste with PKHex I guess