Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think Hugh really hogs all the glory like at all. Not just in, the protag is the guy who accomplishes everything, but like he has nothing to do with Colress or Kyurem and he isn't really the big focus in many of the events. He shouts a lot though that's definitely a thing.
I think I just disliked him interrupting. I can't really put my finger on why I so dislike Hugh but why I thought Barry was endearing. It's been a few years since I played B2W2 so that's also a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PetraCore posted:

I think I just disliked him interrupting. I can't really put my finger on why I so dislike Hugh but why I thought Barry was endearing. It's been a few years since I played B2W2 so that's also a factor.

It's because Barry is a whole lot better and the best rival.

Like I think Hugh's pretty alright (beyond his team being boring) but he's like the only rival in the series who is more involved in the villain team plot than in being a rival to the protag in terms of becoming the champ, and I think it does have some issues.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Remember the part of the story where Ultra Beasts start to appear? The scene happens a little bit later with only Lillie and the Player character. They put Hau walking next to Hala in that scene awkwardly.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Hugh thinks that the world resolves around him and his "edgy" backstory of him wanting to rescue his sister's Purrloin from a totally evil team of bad guys. His immaturity is slightly endearing for me, since you could tell that he's a child who grew up on Saturday morning series about action heroes beating the bad guys, and the game slowly reveals that no Hugh, you're not the main star at all. In fact, your goal was so small and short-sighted, that the bad guys didn't even care about the Purrloin in the first place.

It's stuff like that that gets me, showing this loud-mouth kid that he isn't special at all.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LightningKimba posted:

no Hugh, you're not the main star at all. In fact,

I am the main star!
(Dunks Hugh in the trash, stars in a 100 Billion Dollar Blockbuster, shoves all the beasts of myth and legend into tiny balls then beats the elite 4 and champion with an all-Ice team)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 10, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Internet Kraken posted:

Can boys buy a pair of ridiculous strip-ed pants?

No they get an awesome Kommo-o outfit:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hugh's immature and laser-focused about beating up ninjas and poo poo but I don't think he really acts like he's more important than everyone, and I don't think he really learns throughout the story that he's not the main character or whatever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

less laughter posted:

clean hotpants

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

clean hotpants

what's the matter with yours

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Honestly, the highlight of BW2 for me was when Hugh straight up kicks a Team Plasma grunt and blindly complains that both the knight and pirate Plasma dudes are super bad.

After watching Mobile Suit Gundam, I was only reminded of Amuro's dumb "War _isn't_ all black and white?" from episode 15.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

Yeah, Lillie owned and being a supporting character was good because they could actually have some story in the game instead of people expositing at your blank slate.

It also helps you're not competing with her. You're a trainer while she's having her own journey of self discovery.

I'm not sure how much I agree with this. The other Pokemon game with a hard focus on story was BW and you were very much the protagonist there, even if you got zero character development and Bianca, Cheren and deuteragonist N got it instead.

I do think Lillie is a good character and her story is good though. Sun and Moon are definitely my second favourites after Black and White, but I don't think that making the player be a supporting protagonist is an absolute requirement even when their character will always be a blank personality-wise. Must be easier to write around actual characters though.

Crosspeice posted:

Battle Tree is still the same song and dance, though the trainers are a little bit different. Giovanni, a Rocket Grunt, Sophacles and Kukui are also recruitable.

I'm surprised she doesn't have Alolan Ninetales considering her Fairy focus and how she has Alolan Vulpix in the anime. Also Nebby should totally rejoin her for this.

LightningKimba posted:

Honestly, the highlight of BW2 for me was when Hugh straight up kicks a Team Plasma grunt and blindly complains that both the knight and pirate Plasma dudes are super bad.

After watching Mobile Suit Gundam, I was only reminded of Amuro's dumb "War _isn't_ all black and white?" from episode 15.

Black and white, huh? :v:

less laughter posted:

I don't care about the top, bottom or hat but I'd wear the hell out of those gloves and boots. I'm going female this time though, so I guess I'm not going to.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I like how the Lurantis/Kommo-o outfits are basically slutty costumes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

:japan:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

For whoever's been playing: how does the Totem Sticker thing work? I'm thinking of using Totems in my team but I'm not sure how early/late you get them.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Shneak posted:

if you think the cute pokemon-themed outfits on the literal child protagonists are "slutty costumes" you might be kind of weird tbh

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

someone awful. posted:

if you think the cute pokemon-themed outfits on the literal child protagonists are "slutty costumes" you might be kind of weird tbh

Lurantis wears pants, not shorts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shneak posted:

Lurantis wears pants, not shorts.

Oh my god, shorts? Those whores!

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BUT HOW IS THE PHOTO CLUB?????

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

For whoever's been playing: how does the Totem Sticker thing work? I'm thinking of using Totems in my team but I'm not sure how early/late you get them.

Totem Stickers replace the Zygarde Cells and are introduced in the first town. Every 20 allows for getting a new one from Oak.

Photo Club is pretty neat but not that much of a diversion.

I'm also pretty sure I just abducted a sentient bug from its Ultra Desert home.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dehry posted:

Totem Stickers replace the Zygarde Cells and are introduced in the first town. Every 20 allows for getting a new one from Oak.

Oh, okay, so they're introduced really fast, although 20 is a big number. Any idea what order you get them? Can you choose which Totem you get? Are all Totems from SM and USUM obtainable? How long does it roughly take to get stickers?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PetraCore posted:

Hugh more like Hugh suck go home or I'll push you off a loving pirate boat.
my favorite scene was when Hugh hid under a truck to escape the lady trying to bang him

wait are we talking about pokemon or GBS

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh, okay, so they're introduced really fast, although 20 is a big number. Any idea what order you get them? Can you choose which Totem you get? Are all Totems from SM and USUM obtainable? How long does it roughly take to get stickers?

I got a Raticate first, and just now got an Araquanid. I'm guessing its the order of those fought so Marowak, Lurantis, Togedemaru, Mimikyu, Kommo-o, and Ribombee. I got 48 without really trying.

I've been more busy farming shiny pokemon from the Ultra Wormhole.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so do the Totems like have any stat differences

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
give me the big boy mimikyu

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Dehry posted:

I'm waiting until the actual Pokemon release date to do my legitimate boy playthrough. The hacking tools are in beta and I don't want to lose the shiny Grumpig I just got from the Ultra Wormhole.

I've heard that the better you get at Ultra Ride the better the chances are of encountering shiny Pokemon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ive gotten two so far so I believe it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

give me the big boy mimikyu

I was asking for this as well, I want that big Mimikyu for my team.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

someone awful. posted:

would you wear them in public

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Does anyone dress up their characters in things they'd wear themselves? I mean really.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Lol if you dont dress up as a skull grunt everyday

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Does anyone dress up their characters in things they'd wear themselves? I mean really.

well i mean, the regular clothes are just like, jeans and a t-shirt, so uh yes?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Lol if you dont dress up as a skull grunt everyday

I'm not cool enough to pull it off.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lol just lol if you wouldn't wear the nurse joy outfit

no i don't care if you're male

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

well i mean, the regular clothes are just like, jeans and a t-shirt, so uh yes?

I mean when you get the choice for more costumes and are able to mix things up and all. Half the joy in dress up games is seeing your guy in a weird outfit in all the cutscenes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
3rd shiny Pokemon now. I can only imagine what it would be like with the shiny charm next week.

E: Also, that Lurantis costume is really something like out of an idol anime. It has a purpose for the Japanese fans.

I think there's unlimited Nihilego

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 11, 2017

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean when you get the choice for more costumes and are able to mix things up and all. Half the joy in dress up games is seeing your guy in a weird outfit in all the cutscenes.

Let us do full facial customization. My Commander Shepard looked like he had FAS and every dramatic cutscene was hilarious.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I enjoyed going on a pokemon journey through Alola with my good friends Lillie and Hau

:yeah:

I genuinely liked all the gen 7 characters, they were all enjoyable and good kids and a step up from the gen 6 gaggle.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Gen 7 sucks because you cant get the drat festival plaza ! to stay away. That is all.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lillie and Hau are the only friends I have in this Pokemon world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dehry posted:

I think there's unlimited Nihilego

my dream come true