Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hi Bert
Have a balloon

they all float down here

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Got a week sober, dropped 5 lbs. Shooting for 30 days and 12 lbs.

Maybe this should go in the PT thread

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Today would have been my 20th anniversary.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Had a crew bbq on friday night. Felt like having a beer but didn't. Got to see misery personified the next morning as three guys smashed 48 beers, 4 bottles of wine, a bottle of tequila and more that actually got put in the bins.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's fun to be unbearably cheerful around hungover people early in the morning

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Should be illegal

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

Should be illegal

Oh good mooooorning I'm glad you're finally up. I took the most wonderful brisk stroll at sunrise to look at nature, which unlike you does not look like hell. Sorry for making so much noise around 6 AM, I was dying for eggs. Well get a move on and get changed, we promised Bill we would do that yard work today and I'd like to be done early for some afternoon reading. The eggs? Sorry, I ate the last two. There's a cereal bar left but I think it's stale.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
*finishes the fifth, goes back to bed*

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zeris posted:

*finishes the fifth, goes back to bed*

Just lol if you even got out of bed. I used to just reach under my bed for a top up. Took me six months to get the courage up to clean out underneath. It wasn't pretty.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
So just checking in on who is still going strong.

I hit a year sobriety this week. I occasionally miss it, but cope with it in other ways; mainly drinking Dr Pepper or Pepsi.

I stopped tobacco for about six months, however I had a pipe last weekend.

I am not giving up coffee for you fucks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Proud of you dude a year is huge. I'll hit my second on the 23rd. ~Life owns~

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
8 years last month. It's all just one day at a time though, we are all even when we wake up

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

In two weeks I'll be six months sober. It took several poor decisions, many of which are documented on this very forum, and some sideways glances from coworkers after I ordered a beer at 10:30am while I was interviewing a new guy, for me to realize something needed to change.

I'd like to take this moment to apologize for everything retarded I did, and posted, on my benders over the years. You guys are pretty rad.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Stay with it man, things only get better

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Stay with it man, things only get better

Thanks mate :unsmith:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I think I just broke a toe kicking a couch, table, and bed in that order within the last 15 minutes.

I'm sober and this loving sucks.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Know what my sponsor told me when things I didn't like happened? "You get to experience this sober, and that's a beautiful thing".

Also don't kick things. Hit me up in PMs I'm always down to talk, deployment schedule permitting

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Oh I didn't kick things on purpose. I tripped over a cat. Twice. The bed was just icing on the cake.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
I've decided to try quitting again. The first time I did earlier this year I was a mess and ended up getting antidepressants to try and manage some bad feelings. Tried again in August and made it the entire month before deciding that life kind of sucked in Europe without being able to drink. I absolutely love wine, but I have a problem with moderation. Plus, I'm pretty sure the alcohol is nullifying Wellbutrin.

So here I am again. I don't know why, but I'm struggling real hard right now and it's only been 4 days. I am miserable and I just want to drown in a bottle. So many stressful things coming up and I have no clue how to deal. Right now I'm just curled up and trying to avoid showing my wife how much of a lovely person I am.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

First, despite probably having gone longer between drinks in the past, your brain has 'I'm quitting' in it right now. So you're reacting differently to not having any alcohol. Second, yes it loving sucks. I went to a lot of AA meetings in early sobriety. It worked for me - up to you if you want to try it. Hearing other people's struggles with the same thing was helpful to me. Third, does your wife know you are quitting? It would be a really good idea to have a chat with her about what you are doing and why. Far better to have her onside with you.

Fourth, I'm happy to chat via pm or whatever - it loving sucks and getting through it is easier with support

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
I really appreciate the offer. I don't know why yesterday was so much worse. Feeling less insane today.

This really does suck though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

As we come up on the holidays I feel like preaching just a little bit. Sitting in a Thanksgiving AA meeting some years ago one old timer said this: November and December is our loving Super Bowl for staying sober.If you're sober and getting the good things back into your life, you're probably going to be around people again during the holidays and the booze will probably be flowing. Just stay calm and keep a glass of something soft in your hand. If you do feel tempted, please talk to another human being first. Here, Discord, or PMs if you want more privacy. No judgement or shame, we've been there and just talking to somebody can help you from starting something that will end badly.

For any of you who are questioning what you're doing, or suffering in silence lurking this thread wondering if life will ever change, please talk to us. We know it's embarrassing to start talking. Trust us that we've experienced what you're going through, be it massive hangovers to DTs, seizures, and hospital visits. It doesn't have to be that way and we want to help you.

With that downer out of the way I like to watch Robin Williams' bit on alcoholism once in a while since there's truth in it and it makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtPp_xIpC4

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
It's not preachy at all, it's good solid advice.

It took me numerous attempts to sober up, and I'm still craving liquor. I've been sober for a little over a year.

This is probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Rootin' for you guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Syrian Lannister posted:

It's not preachy at all, it's good solid advice.

It took me numerous attempts to sober up, and I'm still craving liquor. I've been sober for a little over a year.

This is probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

Me too brother. It's also the most worthwhile thing I've ever done. Two years tomorrow.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I made it. Two years :)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I made it. Two years :)

Congratulations man, I knew you could do it

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Good job 2F

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Way to go dude! Congratulations!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

How's everyone getting on?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

How's everyone getting on?

Still here, 15 months

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ah gently caress it i'd rather talk about it on discord

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Hitting 17 months in the next couple of days.

Just checking in to see how everyone else is doing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

congrats dude!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Congrats man. Still sober here, looking forward to getting back to meetings after a near seven month deployment

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

One of our newspapers was asking for pieces on addiction/recovery so I've written about my experiences.
Reprinted for your pleasure and amusement below:

I took my first drink when I was about 15. It was gin I stole from my mother's partner's bottle, and once it hit my stomach and that warmth began to spread through me, I just wanted more. The night ended with me being carried home by a friend and spewing my dinner into the garden outside the house. I loved it. I loved the way it made me feel. I loved that it made me forget my shyness and make me feel powerful. I kept drinking to obscene excess every chance I got. I remember people saying to me that it was an absolute shocker that I would get so drunk I'd lose control of my mind. Even back then, at 17 or 18, I couldn't understand why it was that other people didn't seem to get into the same trouble I did when drinking, or even more so I couldn't understand how people could not want to drink. A work colleague said to me 'it might be time to call the AA.' I thought he was joking.
I carried on drinking. I'd noticed I tended to act the fool, so I drank alone. Beer was expensive, so I drank cheap wine.
If you ever find yourself in a supermarket aisle making a quick calculation of what to buy so that you get the most alcohol by volume for your dollar, I have some bad news for you.
You might just be an alcoholic, like me. Things carried on in this vein for a few years. I felt I struggled to control my drinking. A girlfriend told me that I had a problem, so I stopped on her behalf. Once we broke up, it was back to the races. What I notice in hindsight, is that anytime I stopped for any length of time, when I picked up again my drinking was worse than it had been when I stopped. I met another girl, and found I wanted to be sober for her sake. When that went wrong, I felt like I had done the best I could, and that this was how it turned out, so what's the point in even trying? And that's when I really started to lose my battle with it altogether.
I drank alone in increasing quantities, pissing into the bottles and emptying them in the toilet in the morning (I'm not sure why I didn't just go to the toilet).
My landlady found me passed out in the middle of the day and thought I was on drugs. She wasn't impressed, and although she never said in so many words, I got the impression I needed to get help or get a new place to live. I phoned AA that night. I went to a meeting the next day and saw a roomful of people I had nothing in common with. They'd all joined some kind of cult and I got out of there, fast.
I think it took about two weeks before I started drinking again. I spent the next two years drinking as much as I could, as often as I could. I gained weight, fast, going from a reasonably healthy 85kg to 116kg in that space of time. I stayed at a friend's, and we were going to do some target shooting, but he noticed I'd had a drink with breakfast and refused to hand me a gun. I thought I was depressed and tried therapy. I found I got worse and worse at my job. Eventually, the end came, when I was working a job far below my qualifications, and could still only manage to do enough hours a week to pay rent and buy alcohol. I couldn't face the thought of doing the work I studied for. I could barely face people. I certainly couldn't face myself every morning.
I clearly remember my last drinks. I woke up in bed, with the worst hangover I can remember, and saw two half empty beers on my bedside table. I drank them both. That was on the 22nd of November 2015, and though it has been the hardest thing I have ever done, I have been sober since the 23rd. I went to an AA meeting, for the first time of my own choice. I said I was in trouble. I could barely get the words out from fighting back tears. Someone - I still don't know who - put their hand on my shoulder. It was such a human gesture. I had thought people might laugh at me, at this poor fool who couldn't even handle his drink. I've since come to learn that everyone in that room had been where I was that day.
Sobriety has not been easy. There have been days, even in the last month, when I have wished I could have a drink. But I can't go back to where I came from. I was scared my friends would judge me for giving up. I'm incredibly grateful that without exception, every single one of them has been supportive of my choice. I've met some amazing people through the rooms and very sadly had to farewell one this month who was taken from us too soon.
Addiction is such a lonely disease. It took away from me everything and everyone I care about, and worse, made me unable to care. I never wanted to feel anything, I just wanted to drink myself to oblivion so I wouldn't have to feel. By the end, I wished I had never existed, because all I did was hurt the people around me.
Now, two and a half years later, I see how wrong I was.
Sobriety is a new experience for me, and not an easy one, but one worth having.
If you are struggling, you don't have to struggle alone.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Proud of you mate. Hits close to home. I never got to experience AA but CADS opened my eyes quite a bit. Diverse, everyday people, from big dog execs to engineers to bus drivers, all fighting the same fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:unsmith:

Nice work, man.