Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
We should compile a list of keyboards that are absolutely safe for bog standard ANSI keycap sets that have 1.25u mods and Cherry MX stems.

Off the top of my head (from when I last looked into this crap) I've got:

WASD v2
WASD CODE
Das Keyboard 4
Ducky One (probably others of theirs as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
You can add the following Varmilo ANSI keyboards:
VA68M
VB68M
VA87M
VB87M
VA104M

I hesitate to add the VA108M, as this is a standard 104-key ANSI layout but has an extra four 1x1u keys above the numpad functioning as media keys. Not all keysets will have four extra 1x1u keys, let alone ones that make sense to put there.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Interestingly Poker 2 and Pok3r are standard.

So is the K-Type.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
The Pok3r also comes in ISO, but speaking from experience it's an absolute pain in the rear end to find aftermarket ISO nordic keycaps at a reasonable price!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Hey guys, I'm going out into the loving jungle. Think Puerto Rico or Tibet in terms of living conditions. Very humid. However, I have a few weeks to pick out a USB keyboard. Can you recommend me something very cheap, durable, or portable? It certainly has to fit in a backpack or suitcase.

I've been looking at those waterproof roll-up keyboards. I'm sure it feels awful to type on them but that is my lowest priority right now.

I also spent the last few years learning piano, if you could recommend a cheap, durable, portable piano keyboard that connects via USB as well, that'd be lovely. Thank you.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
What's the consensus on keyboards from Aliexpress? There are some nice looking IKBCs on there.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Billzasilver posted:

Hey guys, I'm going out into the loving jungle. Think Puerto Rico or Tibet in terms of living conditions. Very humid. However, I have a few weeks to pick out a USB keyboard. Can you recommend me something very cheap, durable, or portable? It certainly has to fit in a backpack or suitcase.

I've been looking at those waterproof roll-up keyboards. I'm sure it feels awful to type on them but that is my lowest priority right now.

I also spent the last few years learning piano, if you could recommend a cheap, durable, portable piano keyboard that connects via USB as well, that'd be lovely. Thank you.

Are you going to be working there remotely or is this a backpacking type of deal?

Anyway, a good cheapo mechanical and portable keyboard would be a Drevo Gramr or a Magicforce 68. You can get it on Amazon so it should get to you on time.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Both. Working out in the wilderness but I will take a backpack into the capital once a month

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Terminally Bored posted:

What's the consensus on keyboards from Aliexpress? There are some nice looking IKBCs on there.

https://boingboing.net/2017/11/07/free-keylogger-cheap-keyboard.html

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Still not confirmed replacing my Blackwidow v2 per my earlier post. Really like blues etc in the past (and found reds a bit of a headache for typing) but still not sure what to do. Whilst I know the gaming sites say the corsair is good from what I have seen the quality isn't better than the Razer?

Whilst some of the RGB can be neat in some games I'm still not sure if I should just give up on RGB and get a decent quality Ducky/Das/WASD (don't know what shipping for a WASD would be as in UK). That would be with MX blues unless people really advice against these for gaming. I do like fast paced FPS like Quake/UT and some SC2 occasionally.

Think I've decided against a logitech/ MX Brown as I'm not quite satisfied with the in between feel of the switches.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

What's your point? I see iKBCs being also sold on Amazon, tho and they don't come with any software. Poker is probably the best 60% board from judging by the reviews.

I'm asking if it's getting stuff from Ali is worth it or should I check out the more expensive EU stores.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0140XNCMA/ezvid02-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01FDOFJBC/ezvid02-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01AHRPABY/ezvid02-20

I did a few minutes of research, do any of these seem good and durable if a goat pisses on them? (Not an exaggeration)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I am unsure of the chemical content of goat piss or how it would interact with those keyboards, but the first one I have and is fairly durable to liquids but not rough handling. If the goat is going to step on it or chew it, it's hosed.

It's also painful as hell to type on because it misses keypresses and doesn't really cushion from the surface underneath it much, but I'm a pretty forceful typist from having learned on a typewriter. That doesn't sound like your primary concern, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blackfyre posted:

Still not confirmed replacing my Blackwidow v2 per my earlier post. Really like blues etc in the past (and found reds a bit of a headache for typing) but still not sure what to do. Whilst I know the gaming sites say the corsair is good from what I have seen the quality isn't better than the Razer?

Whilst some of the RGB can be neat in some games I'm still not sure if I should just give up on RGB and get a decent quality Ducky/Das/WASD (don't know what shipping for a WASD would be as in UK). That would be with MX blues unless people really advice against these for gaming. I do like fast paced FPS like Quake/UT and some SC2 occasionally.

Think I've decided against a logitech/ MX Brown as I'm not quite satisfied with the in between feel of the switches.

Switching from my Razer Blackwidow to a Corsair K68 the upgrade in quality was immediately noticeable. That steel backplate counts for a ton, and the whole thing is just far more solid. All I miss is the funny lights in Overwatch, and I can live without those.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
What's the general opinion of Qisan Magicforce numpads? Now that I have my TKL the way I like it, I think it's time to get a separate numpad. Looking at this one now specifically to match the switch type and sorta the colors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MZ4Z2DK

and of course spend a pile of cash to replace the keycaps

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I like this numpad and its fully programmable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NPKC-Progr...ZeuoubgrLomkP6Q

You'll need your own keycaps though.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I'm trying to find a computer gaming keyboard with light-up keys that're also quiet, but I hate the look of stuff like the Corsair and Razer 'silent' models. I've found a couple nice ones that say they're quieter than regular types - Logitech G413 Silver and Topre Realforce RGB. Are they actually quieter than keyboards with Cherry-brand keys? The Topre looks like a regular office type, like a grown-up might own, but it's actually a secret party keyboard

I might grab a Ducky because the name is cute

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Arivia posted:

Switching from my Razer Blackwidow to a Corsair K68 the upgrade in quality was immediately noticeable. That steel backplate counts for a ton, and the whole thing is just far more solid. All I miss is the funny lights in Overwatch, and I can live without those.

https://aurora.modworkshop.net/ means if I get a corsair etc I'd still get all the effects unified across my stuff but I don't think the 68 is RGB is it?

My main worry with corsair is after looking most are still saying they aren't all that and you only notice the backplate as there isn't an 'outer' casing and other boards still have decent plates and its not as good as say a Ducky etc. Right now its weighing up the cost of a new board against the loss of RGB and gain in quality I would get if the Razer/Corsair really don't compare. Also not 100% on switches hoping blues would still be as good for games or I'd have to try a red or something again. Hoping the knowledgeable folk here can help a bit more.

Over here Das and Duckys are like 150-200 same as the corsairs etc.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
There are Ducky ones with RBG lights https://www.pccasegear.com/products/40413/ducky-one-pbt-ds-rgb-led-mechanical-keyboard-cherry-blue

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Can’t find the One RGB in the UK, or at least a UK format and so I can check shipping.

Problem with the RGB Ducky boards too is that they are just on board controlled so can’t do any of the features I use RGB with atm even if it’s dumb stuff like Overwatch stuff, Diablo and per key per game stuff. Meaning I end up going oh maybe I should just not look for it and get a better board?

That One would sell me though in UK as it’s prob cheaper than Year of the Rooster which is the only one in the UK with two stage feet

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

teraflame posted:

I like this numpad and its fully programmable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NPKC-Progr...ZeuoubgrLomkP6Q

You'll need your own keycaps though.

Ooh, this could be made to do exactly what I need it to. No better time to learn QMK than the present, too.

From their description I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tell them which case color I want, but I guess it'll be an adventure finding out :)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blackfyre posted:

https://aurora.modworkshop.net/ means if I get a corsair etc I'd still get all the effects unified across my stuff but I don't think the 68 is RGB is it?

My main worry with corsair is after looking most are still saying they aren't all that and you only notice the backplate as there isn't an 'outer' casing and other boards still have decent plates and its not as good as say a Ducky etc. Right now its weighing up the cost of a new board against the loss of RGB and gain in quality I would get if the Razer/Corsair really don't compare. Also not 100% on switches hoping blues would still be as good for games or I'd have to try a red or something again. Hoping the knowledgeable folk here can help a bit more.

Over here Das and Duckys are like 150-200 same as the corsairs etc.

You’re right the K68 doesn’t have RGB but if you’re not a major klutz like me you could get a K70 which does.

If your main use is gaming and you actually use the RGB you should just stick with the Black Widow. It’s not the best, but it fits you.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
After considering about making my own keeb, I putting that project on the backburner simply because I can't find the keycaps that I want right now (and they're hella expensive) so I've decided into getting a prefab one. I'm undecided on getting a 100% or a tenkeyless, although I'm okay with not having a numpad. Based off of the quick picks I was considering the MagicForce68 or the MK Disco (leaning more towards the former). However, I can't really find a retailer for it in Canada. Anyone know what stores I can shop at to get decently priced keebs for :canada:

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

emdash posted:

Massdrop is starting a Hall effect keyboard drop on Monday. These seem pretty cool, although I've never typed on one I'd get one just for the novelty if I could afford it. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xmit-hall-effect-keyboard-massdrop,33060.html

Looks pretty cool but I'm not sold on the bamboo case though

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
There were a surprising number of people in the discussion section of that Massdrop stating that the last batch had very poor QC and many had returns and refunds.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Brownie posted:

There were a surprising number of people in the discussion section of that Massdrop stating that the last batch had very poor QC and many had returns and refunds.

So like every MD keyboard then :v:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I'm liking how the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro M looks, and the programming and LED features sound like a nice bonus. What's the consensus on the quality of Cooler Master keebs?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I have a Quick fire TKL that's over 4 years old, it's been a tank. Their new ones released a couple months ago that have the PBT keys look like solid buys.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got my keyboard from MecKeyAlpha in! Trip report time:

The caps are from MassDrop, but I think they’re the usual Tai-Hao Miami PBT caps without the biofilm or whatever.

The setup from this site is really cool. You choose the board layout, lighting setup (no backlight, colors, white, whatever), and it’s all put together to order. The customer service is really great, and it took about a week from order to receipt from Hong Kong to Chicago with the upgraded shipping from UPS. That includes the assembly time.

Packaging is good, comes in a pretty nondescript box with the company name on it, but there’s good bubble wrap everywhere, and it arrived in great shape.

It’s pretty much everything I wanted from the Leopold FC980M I got and returned - keeping standard key caps on a non-standard layout, getting backlighting (kind of a critical feature for me) was great, and I don’t use arrow keys enough to be bothered by turning off the numlock.

Compared to something like the Master Case Master Keys M: the split 0/00 kinda killed me (a slightly rejiggered numpad on the MecKeyAlpha and full-size 0 are great), and the MX Browns didn’t quite give me the feedback I needed that the MX Black switches provide. If you’re not a numpad junkie or don’t need a peculiar switch, then this one may not be for you.

Pricing is pretty tough to beat - $118 for this keyboard with MX Blacks and white backlighting. It doesn’t come with key caps, but they have a bunch of different sets on the site.

Lots of extra goodies were included - including a nicer key puller (one of the metal wire ones) along with the ring-shaped iso puller. A ton of USB cables were included - this board takes mini USB instead of micro USB (a little lame) but it has multiple coiled cables, and comes with a USB A-A extension cable and a Velcro cable wrapper. It also uses the Bootmapper Client software, which I’m new to, but the native macro and remapping functionality is great, so you can set up media/macro keys how you please. It’s my first time with that kind of software, so I’m pretty excited.

The only downside is that to get the software to work right, I had to update the firmware on the keyboard. It’s not on the MecKeyAlpha page, so I had to dig around. Turns out it’s all based on WinKeyless.kr equipment, so that’s great!

Customer service rules from MecKeyAlpha also. I had a bunch of questions leading up to my purchase, and ended up upgrading shipping after I had already pulled the trigger since my key caps came in early. They were happy to do so, and it was a quick and easy thing.

Now I’m sad that I’m at work and away from my lovely new keyboard.

Definitely going to buy some stuff from them in the future, too! It’s kind of a deal being able to get the exact keyboard you want for a pretty competitive price.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I received my mechmini v1 in the mail today. I ordered this board from r/mechmarket. The 'i' key isn't soldered flush to the board and the feet are placed such that when you type, it's impossible to keep from tipping the board forward. Obviously the motherfucker who sold this to me never used it. This was confirmed when I loaded up the key mappings in bootmapper and there were no arrow keys programmed in.

Anyway, I have a fair bit of experience with a soldering iron and Dave from mechkeys.ca is mailing me a new baseplate free of charge so it will be fairly cheap and quick to fix. But what the gently caress man. Watch your rear end when shopping on r/mechmarket.

Some positives, the board shipped with kailh copper speed switches and they loving rule. They're 'short' travel switches and fairly clicky but not too loud. My first foray into 40% keyboards was the vortex core. Big mistake. It's pointless to buy a 40% that isn't fully programmable. The mechmini v1 is and it is glorious to be able to program the second spacebar as an FN key.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Does anyone here have experiences with ergonomic split keyboards like the Matias Ergonomic Keyboard, the Mistel Barocco MD600 or the Ergodox?
Are they worth the extra money or did you switch back eventually?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Pumprag posted:

Does anyone here have experiences with ergonomic split keyboards like the Matias Ergonomic Keyboard, the Mistel Barocco MD600 or the Ergodox?

I have an ergodox and its the god drat best keyboard i have ever bought.

Going to change the caps on it soon but this is mine

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 15, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't come to this thread expecting to be talked out of anything :D

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
:toot: Trip report time! :toot:

My Vortex Race 3 came last Friday! My first impressions are great, the keycaps feel nice and "meaty" if that makes sense. They clunk down nicely and the board doesn't rattle. I'm very happy with the compressed form factor. I'm also insanely happy with the flat profile of the keyboard combined with the DSA keycaps. Feels incredibly smooth over a whole day of typing. They included little nubs you can screw onto the bottom to raise it up slightly, but I'm leaving mine off.

My previous keyboard had Cherry MX browns on it, I ordered the Race 3 with Cherry MX reds. Initially it felt a little weird typing on the linear switches, but after an hour or two it really grew on me. As the layout gets more ingrained in my muscle memory I'm loving the reds more and more.

Vortex includes some RGBY keycaps that I tossed on immediately because colors are fun! I also ordered a matching set of the WASD keys in the same blue from pimpmykeyboard so I had those ready to go. :3: One of the cons people list about the keyboard is that the 1.5u Esc/Del keys make finding compatible keycap sets a bit harder. However, I like the look of the off-set function row and it's extremely unlikely I'll get any keycap sets, so for me it's a non-issue. Vortex makes this one in lots of different ISO variants.

All in all I'm in love with this keyboard and I'm super happy with it! Picture time (sorry the first one ended up so blurry):

Arrows and modifiers were included with the keyboard. The blue WASD came from PMK.

Close up of the WASD, because I felt like it. :colbert:

I forgot to take a picture of it with before I put all the colorful keycaps on it, unfortunately.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a simple tkl code keyboard. No mess no fuss for my first keeb. Just a simple black keyboard with nice green mx keys that's backlit. Not interested in flashy caps or rgb for the time being. Hopefully I don't get screwed on shipping or duties when I have shipped to Canada.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I thought the Vortex Core was gong to be restrictive and hard to use coming from the Pok3r, but I was totally wrong. I learned it in less than a week and now I just wish I had it with me while I'm traveling!

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer
Just built this Preonic from OLKB. Such a nice design and the "music" is a nice feature, though useless, unless you want to be more annoying than a model-m user. The caps are the Ice Caps from PMK. All R3 SA is nice for ortholinear, but nothing else.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Pumprag posted:

Check out the Kinesis Advantage 2. I’ve still got a infinity ergodox I haven’t built because the Kinesis is just that good.

mewse
May 2, 2006

bustercasey posted:

Just built this Preonic from OLKB. Such a nice design and the "music" is a nice feature, though useless, unless you want to be more annoying than a model-m user. The caps are the Ice Caps from PMK. All R3 SA is nice for ortholinear, but nothing else.

Colemak eh? I tried to switch to dvorak once and failed miserably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer

mewse posted:

Colemak eh? I tried to switch to dvorak once and failed miserably

I'm trying it out. I will probably also fail. I want to try the workman layout, pretty much a more thought out colemak.