Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fermented Tinal posted:

we never actually bothered to tension the cables properly (which explained why one side was always 2" lower than the other) or tighten the top bar's bolts... That's fixed now.

:stare: holy poo poo dude, I'm glad you fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rhyno posted:

You said you don't plan to run water to the shop, have you thought about a rain reclamation system? My friend's dad just has his gutters running to a collection barrel which then runs to a tank inside. He doesn't drink it but has it plumbed to a faucet so he can wash oil and whatnot off before going inside the house. I think he just uses iodine tablets to treat the water in the tank.

My entire house runs on rainwater and the only treatment on it is a filter to keep the bigger bits of gravel out of the taps. 33 years of drinking untreated rainwater hasn’t killed me yet!

Disclaimer: If you live near a factory this advice probably isn’t good

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My in laws live in a place with no water infrastructure and their water is all rainwater via cistern storage. Only treatment they have is putting in a couple guppies or something (the local government supplies) so they eat any bug larvae. The water is super soft and tastes fine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mmm, homeopathic fish poo.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I think this is the garage I'm going to have built. Still not sure what the roof of the garage should be.

The rooflines on the existing house are .. involved.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think as your illustration would be fine, especially if thats the rear. Your roofers will thank you as well.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It's actually a bad angle for the roof. For that photo I had it set up as a hipped roof and it looked better than the open gable I originally had it. I didn't put it on the model, but the original garage is a open gable end.

Roofers will be getting the job for both the garage and the house so they'll be too busy cursing the 9-11/12 roof with dormers everywhere to even care about the garage.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Rhyno posted:

You said you don't plan to run water to the shop, have you thought about a rain reclamation system? My friend's dad just has his gutters running to a collection barrel which then runs to a tank inside. He doesn't drink it but has it plumbed to a faucet so he can wash oil and whatnot off before going inside the house. I think he just uses iodine tablets to treat the water in the tank.

I've definitely thought of it, especially after seeing how much water comes off the roof of these building when it rains. It would be nice to have gravity fed gray water for handwashing. I didn't want to dig another septic, so maybe just a vertical french drain pit for outflow?

Nice thing is that biblical levels of rain seem to go on either side of where a 30x45 would be. Although if I throw in a driveway to it, I'm thinking I'm going to have to elevate, ditch, culvert, etc to keep it from washing all the gravel down into the field.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

FatCow posted:

It's actually a bad angle for the roof. For that photo I had it set up as a hipped roof and it looked better than the open gable I originally had it. I didn't put it on the model, but the original garage is a open gable end.

Roofers will be getting the job for both the garage and the house so they'll be too busy cursing the 9-11/12 roof with dormers everywhere to even care about the garage.

Have you considered a gambrel roof? As you said, next to the house it's not like the roofers are going to give a poo poo about basically anything you could do on the garage. And it means you get a ton more storage space above the main floor of the garage either as a loft or attic.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
The roofers can hang themselves after my job if it means my wife stays happy. A barn next to the house wouldn't accomplish that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The wife and I are in the fortunate/terrible position that we might soon build a new house, with a garage. There are strict size limitations, so for a number of reasons we're limited to 35m2, and on top of that comes the fact that two or three of the walls will end up very thick - around 450mm.

This does not give us very much room to play with, to say the least. I'm interested in layout suggestions.

A big car (Model S, 5-series) is just under five meters long and roughly two meters wide. I don't intend to park two giant cars there on the regular, but I do think that retaining that option has some merit.

In practice, I'll have one medium sized car and a fuckload of junk. Hopefully also a power cage.

Thoughts on how to spend the 35m2?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Height restrictions? Go up

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
In the shop chat:
Bought a welder last week after much procrastination. Threw down a couple of practice beads and got to work.

Hit up the steel yard and bought some supplies.

First project was throwing together a stand for my bench grinder.

Then got to work on my welding table.

Came out pretty level.

Then started messing around with tacking scrap together for 'art'.

And had a successful time with the world's cheapest plasma torch.

Today I'm picking up more steel to build the lower braces and shelf on the table, as well as supplies for future projects.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

drat, nicely done. Table looks perfect for garage projects.

Going to mount a vise on it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Came out pretty level.

Wait for the noise...

Looks pretty good, not wasting any time either. Better than my bird poo poo welds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Height restrictions? Go up

Ha, dude did that downtown here. One story house, garage with three stories and a loft towering behind it. Has a balcony/deck on the third floor. I'll see if I can find pictures, it looks like a goddamned siege tower.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Ha, dude did that downtown here. One story house, garage with three stories and a loft towering behind it. Has a balcony/deck on the third floor. I'll see if I can find pictures, it looks like a goddamned siege tower.

this sounds fantastic!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slothrop posted:

this sounds fantastic!

It's not showing up on google maps which is odd since it's been there for 10 years now. I'll drive by later this week and snap a picture. The first floor is a 2.5 bay, second floor is a workspace with a bathroom, third floor was finished but unused, I think they were gonna stick a pool table up there but it was full of boxes last time I was there. I think the only reason he got away with it is the enormous trees in his neighborhood so you only see it from certain angles.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Slung Blade posted:

drat, nicely done. Table looks perfect for garage projects.

Going to mount a vise on it?

I ended up mounting my vise on one of those H-D Husky brand adjustable height tables.

drat a new sheet of expanded steel is purrrty.

Larrymer posted:

Wait for the noise...

Looks pretty good, not wasting any time either. Better than my bird poo poo welds.

Indeed!

And thanks for the kind words!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bear in mind that i currently have $0 into this current effort.

Very heavy shelves/cupboards from a school reno, didn't fit anywhere along the back wall where i really wanted them, this is plan B.I'm going to leave a gap between the bottom cupboards for a garbage can so all 3 top cupboards fit along the wall, and install the most intense light that will fit under the middle one.

Stolls that will be the perfect height. Probably going to take the back off, definitely gonna take the fake suede off.

A slide/turntable from an old TV stand, this is a maybe for being mounted on the workbench.It has heavy tracks for holding up a 50lb TV.

I was hoping my big 33 drawer cabinet would fit in the top of the white shelf, the middle shelf is built in.

Heck yeah! Then i sat down and looked at the picture and had to go back out to measure.

gently caress! Might need some convincing with a hammer.

It took a month just to get the shelves from by the door to their position on the wall, so expect the exciting conclusion some time in 2019.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Finished off the welding table this afternoon. Put 2x2x3/16" angle bracing around the lower parts of the legs.

Then cut and fitted a piece of 1/4" expanded steel sheet to sit on the angle iron.

I'm forgoing a welding cart for the time being, and using this as a one-piece-fits-all table/cart.

Now I guess it's time to throw together an engine run stand for the 1UZ and fab up the motor and trans mounts in the Starion.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I noticed right in the middle of my driveway it looks like a piece of the aggregate that was close to the surface cracked, causing a spall about 2" or so in diameter, probably about 1/8-1/4" deep. Anyone recommend a decent product for a small patch? Broom finish there if it makes a difference.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

So I noticed right in the middle of my driveway it looks like a piece of the aggregate that was close to the surface cracked, causing a spall about 2" or so in diameter, probably about 1/8-1/4" deep. Anyone recommend a decent product for a small patch? Broom finish there if it makes a difference.

Don't get the Rustoleum driveway sealer, I've had two bottles of that stuff go off and solidify inside the bottle within a week of buying it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Now I guess it's time to throw together an engine run stand for the 1UZ and fab up the motor and trans mounts in the Starion.

For a second I thought you welded the casters directly to the table and was thinking that'd hurt you down the line, but then I realized what you actually did. Looks good.

I've been wanting a welder to make myself an engine stand for awhile. I've always thought the ones where you can rotate the block were the neatest ones, and I've seen some homemade ones either using a cheap gearbox, OR a "manual brake slack adjuster" which is used for truck air brakes, apparently. https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Brake-Slack-Adjuster-Splines/dp/B0028OLLXQ
The only bad part is that you need to source some sort of spline, maybe a truck repair shop would have some scrap. I want to build one of those, though, since it's a worm screw that gives you a lot of gear ratio, and you don't need to put a brake on the rotating mechanicsm due to the worm screw.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

boxen posted:

For a second I thought you welded the casters directly to the table and was thinking that'd hurt you down the line, but then I realized what you actually did. Looks good.

I've been wanting a welder to make myself an engine stand for awhile. I've always thought the ones where you can rotate the block were the neatest ones, and I've seen some homemade ones either using a cheap gearbox, OR a "manual brake slack adjuster" which is used for truck air brakes, apparently. https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Brake-Slack-Adjuster-Splines/dp/B0028OLLXQ
The only bad part is that you need to source some sort of spline, maybe a truck repair shop would have some scrap. I want to build one of those, though, since it's a worm screw that gives you a lot of gear ratio, and you don't need to put a brake on the rotating mechanicsm due to the worm screw.

I'm confused as to what the brake-slack-adjuster is/does?

I'm going to make a stationary stand (insomuch as for the engine, I'll put casters on it too for wheeling around the garage). I have an engine stand/rotisserie thing that spins for building engines, but I don't see any reason to need to spin an engine while running or wiring it. I'm going to use one of the extra front subframes for the Starions I have laying around and bolt that to plates with a bunch of holes on either side of the frame so I can use other subframes for other engines in the future. I also plan to make it higher than most run-in stands I've seen so I can access the oil pan etc.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Oh, a run-in stand. I thought you meant one for assembly/disassembly of engines.
I don't know what a brake slack adjuster does either, other than adjust brake slack for something.
This is the sort of thing I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUJKwFE_NvE

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

boxen posted:

Oh, a run-in stand. I thought you meant one for assembly/disassembly of engines.
I don't know what a brake slack adjuster does either, other than adjust brake slack for something.
This is the sort of thing I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUJKwFE_NvE

That's neat. I've always just used a jack handle and man-handled it to the various detents.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So over the last week or so I addressed some storage issues.

I made a HUGE loving mess. Turns out that epoxy is great until you get sawdust on it, then you wind up with an ice rink it gets that slippery.

To make a huge pile of DIY Ikea

Spent a day drilling and screwing and measuring

Whilst still doing nothing about the ice rink flooring situation

Until i turned the pile of flat pack pieces into a set of shelf units.

Cleaned off the bench tops and worked out the secret combination of trolley jacks, wooden blocks and jack stands needed to get the things up to ceiling height when your on your own and have bursitis in BOTH shoulders

Then realised the embedded parts washer was an issue for the jack

All up and starting to paint cos someone was too cheap to spend the extra $9 a sheet for melamine coated chipboard

And a single coat over all of them. That nearly killed me painting the whole lot twice. So much shoulder agony.

They're all finished and full of junk now. All told between the chipboard, the screws and the paint Im in for about 200 dollarydoos.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

boxen posted:

S-cam air brakes, a slack adjuster sits on the end of the cam and converts the linear force of the air chamber (brake pot) into a twist on the camshaft which forces the shoes out, and allows adjustment of the cam's position as the shoes wear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mrUMTP4thI&t=561s
He didn't use a Rockwell though, on those you can pull the pawl out and have free rotation in both directions (everyone else's have a one-way clutch that takes about 50 ft-lbs to go the wrong way, so you're basically stuck going clockwise).
I throw these things in the scrap bin on a regular basis, never thought to use one that way. Clever as gently caress.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
got my wall control pegboard put up, pretty nice stuff, especially if you pick some up from http://cheappegboard.com/

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

I throw these things in the scrap bin on a regular basis, never thought to use one that way. Clever as gently caress.

So, if I were looking to get the spline that goes into them, I could probably check with a truck repair place and see if they have some scrap ones?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

got my wall control pegboard put up, pretty nice stuff, especially if you pick some up from http://cheappegboard.com/

Thank you for this website.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

I still have to build some spacers to mount my cheap surplus pegboard.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

boxen posted:

So, if I were looking to get the spline that goes into them, I could probably check with a truck repair place and see if they have some scrap ones?

The camshafts themselves don't wear out often, you'd probably need to check back with a place a few times before you got ahold of that bit. Or make your own splines, or weld some bar to the sleeve, etc. Slack adjusters are easy bin finds at pretty much any heavy truck shop though.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Finally got off my butt and hung my garage tv. It's a first gen plasma and weighs at least 85lbs, I think the mounting bolts are fairly stressed but if it breaks who gives a poo poo, it was free.

Also picked up a drill press and Kregg router table. Hoping to get some woodworking going this winter.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I like that Makita poster.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

I like that Makita poster.

something something something [blowing related sexual innuendo] something something

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Those old Panasonic plasmas were great tvs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

poo poo's coming along

It's quite clearly made by a garbage carpenter with garbage wood, but i finally have a Powershift height work bench.

I did have to buy a $7 saw blade so i now have $7 into the project, and have almost exhausted my cache of screws.

I moved the fixed shelf in that white unit down to accept the 33 drawer unit, and smartly pulled all the drawers out before trying to move it. there has to be 400lbs worth of poo poo in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nice French-Canadian garage.