Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure Poque knows the exact answer to this question and I'm also pretty sure he's not allowed to tell us. :v:

I feel like the Cubs are probably an outlier in this test case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure Poque knows the exact answer to this question and I'm also pretty sure he's not allowed to tell us. :v:

Drug and/or otherwise coerce him for us, please.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

The Cubs aren't going to trade Schwarber because nobody possibly thinks as highly of him as the Cubs/their fans do.

If the Cubs make a trade, it should be with Russell. He has the most value outside of Baez and the loss wouldn't hurt them that much.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:yeah:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sammy Sosa is having fun in London. No issues hailing cabs either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Niwrad posted:

Oh my god.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pancakes posted:

Tell me they already had a draft of Heyward’s speech for Lester’s review and then maybe I’ll be impressed.

The pitch to Lester also had him pitching in Game 7 of the World Series (though they said against the Yankees).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Oh my god.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I actually had a sneak peak at the Cubs finances when I hacked into their computer system (the password is Campana123).

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Is that actually a picture of Sammy Sosa?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

bump_fn posted:

boston strong except in the post season

I remember in 2013 a bunch of third party shirt companies ate a lot of poo poo for making Blackhawks-based "Chicago Stronger" shirts

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sab0921 posted:

Is that actually a picture of Sammy Sosa?

Yeah. Dude has vitiligo something fierce, I think he's looked like that since 2010ish?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Niwrad posted:

Bela Lugosi's looking pretty good for a guy who's been dead 50 years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Yeah. Dude has vitiligo something fierce, I think he's looked like that since 2010ish?

He's also said that he uses skin bleaching cream on a daily basis, and has done so since 2009

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Niwrad posted:

If the Cubs make a trade, it should be with Russell. He has the most value outside of Baez and the loss wouldn't hurt them that much.

Much as I love Javy and loathe Russell, is Javy a higher value trade chip than Russell? I honestly don't know; I don't follow the Cubs' individual players as closely as I should considering that they're the main divisional rival.

Grittybeard posted:

gently caress, now I have the beginning of "The Hunger" stuck in my head.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

Much as I love Javy and loathe Russell, is Javy a higher value trade chip than Russell? I honestly don't know; I don't follow the Cubs' individual players as closely as I should considering that they're the main divisional rival.

I don't think so, but people here are still really bullish on the possibility of Javy's bat turning around for some reason. Right now they strike me as having similar all-glove / no-bat profiles. (I'm sorry, but Javy's .317 OBP last year is just loving inexcusable. Russell at least had the excuse of his personal life falling to poo poo.)

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I like watching Javy more. Almost entirely defensively. Offensively, he still can't process that slider low and away should mean don't swing.

Russell is definitely worth more. More consistent, so he's much more predictable.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A league average bat at SS is now a no-bat profile?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wasn't the conclusion to this debate last time it went something like "What teams would significantly upgrade at SS with either guy?"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^^^Javy could presumably upgrade a lot of teams simply by virtue of his positional versatility. Russell is harder to pin down because we are in the age of the SS and almost every team has a fantastic one.

Pancakes posted:

Javy has all the tools to be a perennial all-star except for the fact that he can't stop chasing terrible pitches out of the zone. The thing is though he never will stop chasing terrible pitches out of the zone, but GM's and baseball pundits will salivate through his entire career over the what might be if he somehow managed to obtain even the league average pitch recognition that could unlock that potential. Russell meanwhile has a theoretically lower ceiling but a way higher floor. He has actual plate discipline and fair amount of pop in his own right, in addition to being an incredible defensive SS.

Basically what I'm saying is that I think it depends on the GM. If they're the type to be blinded by Javy's ceiling and deluded enough to think their organization will be the one to teach him how to lay off sliders, then Javy is probably worth more. But I imagine for the bulk of potential trade partners, Russell would be considered more valuable.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 11, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

was beaten to the lugosi reference

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Javy is gold glove caliber at multiple positions and can hit 30 plus homers. Not a lot of guys capable of that at 24.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think anyone would knock that Baez is a talented player with more upside. Where it gets complicated is when you try and find a return value that makes sense for both sides. Schwarber's another good example of that. Lots of teams would happily trade for Schwarber if the Cubs were just trying to unload him. But it will be a lot harder if the Cubs go looking for "fair value" that helps them. Same with Baez. There's tons of teams who I'm sure would love to have him. But what are you looking for in return and what team do you think would give that up?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Niwrad posted:

can hit 30 plus homers.

He should probably hit a few more before anyone makes this claim.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

New Concept Hole posted:

Kinda shocking seeing as he had only 2 home runs after June and played 30 games at first base

On that note, congrats to AT&T Park for once again being the hardest place in baseball to hit a home run. Four years in a row and 6 of the last 7!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Seriously I cannot wait for this goofball to join the league.

https://twitter.com/dylanohernandez/status/929168722929045504?s=17

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If he wants to match up with his weirdo counterpart in the NHL Sidney Crosby he's gonna need to take an $11M per year salary

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
ESPN has an article out saying Boston is interested in or should trade for Stanton. I don't know how realistic that is, but Stanton in Fenway would be pretty hilarious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DoctaFun posted:

ESPN has an article out saying Boston is interested in or should trade for Stanton. I don't know how realistic that is, but Stanton in Fenway would be pretty hilarious.

I imagine that if Jeets really is under orders to cut payroll, then every team in the league should be interested in Stanton.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

so to get Otani some team is gonna have to extend him an 11 year, 121 million dollar contract. that already makes him a bargain!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mike_V posted:

If he wants to match up with his weirdo counterpart in the NHL Sidney Crosby he's gonna need to take an $11M per year salary

Otani also needs to contract the mumps so he looks like more of a goofball during interviews.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Paul DeJong is a physics and biochem nerd and is spending the offseason doing SCIENCE

that kinda owns

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/11/09/cardinals-dejong-rocks-baseball-heat/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Tom Gorman posted:

Paul DeJong is a physics and biochem nerd and is spending the offseason doing SCIENCE

that kinda owns

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/11/09/cardinals-dejong-rocks-baseball-heat/

gently caress am i a cards fan now

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bump_fn posted:

gently caress am i a cards fan now

The problem with the Cardinals franchise has never been the players imo.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
The Cardinals franchise has only one problem: it exists

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://deadspin.com/possibly-josh-beckett-does-not-understand-the-concept-o-1820364013

https://mobile.twitter.com/dhmontgomery/status/929378640382619648

:lol:

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

hahaha what the christ

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/929037786711240704

Lol this must be Scott Boras's favorite time of year

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Seems like Baby Vlad hasn't quite learned how to slide yet.

https://twitter.com/VicBaezS/status/929467445466882048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Someone made a video of all 22 of the Giants' blown saves in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0VndklCI4

Cruel, but funny.

• Locked thread