Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It’s that time of year again, time for Secret Santa

No real rules or restrictions. There is a price limit on there but feel free to go as high or low as you want, just make it fun and interesting.

When you sign up it will give you the option of not shipping internationally so make sure you check that if you'd prefer not to.

When you sign up try to include your forum name somewhere so your Santa knows what your interests are.

Make sure to note it on Elster when you’ve shipped so I don’t accidentally shame anyone like last year.

Signups will be open until the 20th. Open to anyone but this is BSS specific so ideally you’ll like Onslaught comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Sign me up. Maybe I will actually read onslaught reborn before I send it off

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in.

I'll post stuff later about likes / dislikes etc.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

We had a google quiz in earlier years that did the prefs and poo poo. Have we thought about doing that again?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RevKrule posted:

We had a google quiz in earlier years that did the prefs and poo poo. Have we thought about doing that again?

Yeah something like that could be handy. The wishlist function on elfster lets you enter your own generic stuff as well though so you could always just note stuff like that there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think I could be convinced to give it another go!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you;re interested in signing up make sure you actually, you know, sign up. Right now there's only two of us, which is fine I guess but it's sure going to ruin the surprise.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Retro Futurist posted:

If you;re interested in signing up make sure you actually, you know, sign up. Right now there's only two of us, which is fine I guess but it's sure going to ruin the surprise.

Yes this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

Don't tell me what to do!!!

I just did it. I will create a wishlist of expensive and hard to find stuff later. Also, I am in Canada and don't mind shipping to the states.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

I just did it. I will create a wishlist of expensive and hard to find stuff later. Also, I am in Canada and don't mind shipping to the states.

So far everyone signed up is Canadian actually.

Looks like we're all getting Alpha Flight

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
What the hell, I like comics, I am mostly comic-illiterate, so why not do this. It's not like I'll be getting duplicates of anything.

Just a question before I join, I am on Spain. I am willing to pay shipping costs to America (unless my santa asks for a batman-shaped dumbbell or similar), or, failing that, to go digital, and I don't mind receiving digital stuff either. Is there anything wrong with it?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought stuff last year online and had it shipped directly. Shipping costs are really crappy in canada and I figured the money was better spent on another book for my giftee.

This is a strategy that works no matter where in the world you or your giftee live.

Also - can we have a dollar amount to aim for? I don't want to be a dick but getting a 10$ MSRP book last year, without any other added individual touch (like even a note or something to indicate this wasn't just a way for my Santa to score a good deal) was lovely.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 11, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do try to keep it open ended for people, but a $25 minimum seems reasonable enough, with an exception for any handmade sort of things

As for the Spain I see no issue there. In this day and age you have amazon and Etsy shops in every country anyways, and digital is for sure an option

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Great! I went ahead and registered anyway. I also thought of direct Amazon shipping after I posted, but I was lazy and didn't edit the post.

Also, $25 as a minimum sounds good.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm gonna sign up if I remember. What does a wishlist look like for something like this?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The elfster one is pretty modular. It pools from online shopping places so you can add stuff directly there, but you can also put text based entries in or a link to your amazon list etc.

Or of course just post it in the thread

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have added stuff to my wishlist. Some of it is even affordable. I kind of swung for the fences with my wishlist though so don't be freaked out by the Batman PJ's.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Retro Futurist posted:

I do try to keep it open ended for people, but a $25 minimum seems reasonable enough, with an exception for any handmade sort of things

As for the Spain I see no issue there. In this day and age you have amazon and Etsy shops in every country anyways, and digital is for sure an option

Is that $25 Canadian or US?

I think I might not be able to participate this year, now I think about it more - I don't really have the disposable income I had this time last year, not to mention the pound's weak because of Brexit...still got 3 days to figure out, but I think it's unlikely.

:smith:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is that $25 Canadian or US?

I think I might not be able to participate this year, now I think about it more - I don't really have the disposable income I had this time last year, not to mention the pound's weak because of Brexit...still got 3 days to figure out, but I think it's unlikely.

:smith:

It's a judgement call. I mean honestly if you're a little under I'm sure nobody will mind, we just want to avoid situations where someone sends a nice, thoughtful package and receives a couple coffee stained singles

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Retro Futurist posted:

It's a judgement call. I mean honestly if you're a little under I'm sure nobody will mind, we just want to avoid situations where someone sends a nice, thoughtful package and receives a couple coffee stained singles

Fair enough.

I've done some tinkering with my budget, and I think I will be able to do this after all!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

It is always and will always be better to give someone something that means something to you rather than going to an amazon wishlist and just clicking some buttons.

I've both given and received dog eared and worn copies of books people really loving love in previous BSSSS events and they always mean more than brand new books that someone just had amazon drop ship.

While the price is a general guide, judgment and attention to the sentiment are infinitely more important. Don't get hung up on it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RevKrule posted:

It is always and will always be better to give someone something that means something to you rather than going to an amazon wishlist and just clicking some buttons.

I've both given and received dog eared and worn copies of books people really loving love in previous BSSSS events and they always mean more than brand new books that someone just had amazon drop ship.

While the price is a general guide, judgment and attention to the sentiment are infinitely more important. Don't get hung up on it.

Yes 100%, that's kind of what I've been trying to get across but much better put

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I signed up--do I need to add things to my wishlist through whatever site they have? Or can I somehow get things over from Amazon?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A Strange Aeon posted:

So I signed up--do I need to add things to my wishlist through whatever site they have? Or can I somehow get things over from Amazon?

You can post a link on the elfster wish list, or just link it here

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Retro Futurist posted:

You can post a link on the elfster wish list, or just link it here

OK, I added a wishlist link to Elfster.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just noticed literally every other person is not in the United States. I changed my setting to agree to International--not sure how else this would work!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

I just noticed literally every other person is not in the United States. I changed my setting to agree to International--not sure how else this would work!

Unless you are sending a handmade batman of zur en arrh costume to your Santee Amazon is probably the cheaper and easier option. Also as much as I like sending personal handmade boxes for it, Amazon also makes sure your gift arrives while regular post overseas might not be as trustworthy.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I tried a few times to get a list pasted into my Elfster thing, but wasn't having much luck, so here is some stuff I'm interested in--can really be anything, but I hope the below gives some idea what I'm into. This is all stuff on Hamilton Books, who has some good prices sometimes.

6584098 STAR WARS--DROIDS & EWOKS $24.95
4551087 ALL STAR COMICS ARCHIVES, VOLUME 0 $11.95
4551095 ALL STAR COMICS ARCHIVES, VOLUME 2 $7.95
4551109 ALL STAR COMICS ARCHIVES, VOLUME 3 $7.95
3684733 BATMAN: Odyssey $7.95
6569668 COMICS BETWEEN THE PANELS $7.95
6602002 DEADPOOL $34.95
5978386 FRANK IN THE 3RD DIMENSION $9.95
6715486 HOW TO TALK TO GIRLS AT PARTIES $4.95
3644030 JACK KIRBY'S THE LOSERS $11.95
5799937 MARTIAN MANHUNTER: The Others Among Us $3.95
4587111 PANIC, VOLUME 1: The EC Archives $27.95
5799988 PULP FICTION LIBRARY: Mystery in Space $5.95
5719771 SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY, VOLUME ONE $7.95
573200X SPEECHLESS: World History Without Words $4.95
4551141 THE ANNOTATED SANDMAN, VOLUME TWO $5.95
656951X THE BEST OF COMIX BOOK: When Marvel Comics Went Underground! $9.95
3643948 THE BOY COMMANDOS, VOLUME ONE $11.95
4551648 THE SANDMAN $11.95
3684954 THE SILVER AGE TEEN TITANS ARCHIVES, VOLUME 2 $14.95
3644340 THE STEVE DITKO OMNIBUS, VOLUME 1 $9.95
6647499 THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL & THE GREAT LAKES AVENGERS $9.95
6647502 THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL BEATS UP THE MARVEL UNIVERSE! $8.95
TOM STRONG'S TERRIFIC TALES, BOOK ONE $3.95
6715494 TROLL BRIDGE $4.95
5882370 TURN LOOSE OUR DEATH RAYS AND KILL THEM ALL! The Complete Works of Fletcher Hanks $37.95
3668932 WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK--"TRICK OR TREAT." $19.95
4646126 WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK: "Terror of the Beagle Boys." $15.95
6511538 WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK: "Trail of the Unicorn." $21.95
5780985 WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK: A Christmas for Shacktown $21.95
5844991 WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK: Christmas on Bear Mountain $21.95
6669808 WALT DISNEY'S UNCLE $CROOGE: The Lost Crown of Genghis Khan $21.95
4551869 WORLD'S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVES, VOLUME 2 $9.95
4551850 WORLD'S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVES, VOLUME 3 $9.95
6601650 YOUNG ROMANCE 2: The Early Simon & Kirby Romance Comics $7.95

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As for me - I’m interested in weird comics with crazy art and hard boiled detective or noir stuff. I’m also interested in Conan and Usagi and things of that nature like Lone Wolf and Cub.

For noir / detective criminal - so far I have only #2 and #7, or Parker - I have none of that yet, though I’ve read it (and loved it). I have most of the rest of both of their work.

For weird you need to go pretty weird for me to definitely not have it. I have too many floppies to mention at this point, including a ton of old vertigo and mid 2000s image.

For Conan and Usagi, I have a handful of floppies but otherwise nothing.

My favourite creators are Brubaker, Cooke, Hickman, and Stan Sakai.

I’m also doing a complete marvel reading project. I have a ton of the old essentials and a few of the marvel TPB lines so not looking for books from back then, but if you can think of supplemental material to the list I’m definitely game for that.

I have a ton of floppies and a ton of TPBs and a ton of books including hardcover comics. I prefer TPBs for reading. I adore my physical media, so nothing digital please.

Uhhhh that’s it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I listed my stuff on wishlist in elfstar. If no-one can see it let me know. You can assume the 800 dollar lego deathstar is on there though (it isn't).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

And we're go!

Please make sure you check it off in Elfster when you've shipped, or at least contact me/your santee, so I don't mis-Grinch anyone later

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I just realized my wishlist really sucks. To be frank, while I like comics, I do not own much if all of anything, so I am game for almost everything (and consequently I have no clue what to put there). I prefer modern things over silver-age as I grew up reading old inherited comics and still have a bunch of those. As for genres, realism, superheroic, fantasy or sci-fi are all great, terror or gore not so much. In addition to the couple items at the wishlist, I would not mind getting some Blacksad (I only have "hell, silence") or Supersons (read a couple, don't own any). Or hell, anything, really. Sorry I am not that good of a santee...

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just a note to my santa, I don't mind at all if something is used.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I couldn't figure out how to add a note to the order, so this is to my santee:

You should be getting two things, sometime between the 27th and 30th of November. They'll be coming separately.

The one I got another in the series of as an anniversary gift from my wife, and it's super fun, so I'll probably get the one you're getting at some point as well.

Sorry there's nothing more personal--shipping overseas is sort of sketchy. Otherwise I'd probably have been able to scrounge up some random stuff you might find cool!

But Merry Christmas!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
drat you keeners. Anyway I am waiting for next paycheck this week before I do anything, and I still don't know if that anything consists of going to second hand book shops and looking for out of print stuff or just going to Amazon. In other words my gift will probably be more dependent on how much time I have more than anything else, but don't worry, cool stuff will still be sent to my santee.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Dear santee,

A package is heading your way (hopefully, if I haven't messed up somehow). Overseas mail is expensive as hell and I don't fancy the idea of spending money into it instead of into something that would be appreciated, so, as A Strange Aeon said upthread, I apologize for the lack of any odd personal stuff. To make up for it, apart from the stuff on your wishlist I am also sending you a digital copy (paid for at a fair price, if you care about creator support) of a comic series by a Spanish cartoonist that has been having a good reception over here. I'd have liked to send something more interesting, but nevertheless, enjoy!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh dang, I forgot to sign up

Jordan7hm posted:

I bought stuff last year online and had it shipped directly. Shipping costs are really crappy in canada and I figured the money was better spent on another book for my giftee.

This is a strategy that works no matter where in the world you or your giftee live.

Also - can we have a dollar amount to aim for? I don't want to be a dick but getting a 10$ MSRP book last year, without any other added individual touch (like even a note or something to indicate this wasn't just a way for my Santa to score a good deal) was lovely.

I actually still feel a bit bad about that. I had less money than I do now, and I didn't realize the shipping cost would drive up the price on Amazon so much. I'd still like to make it up to you a bit, despite not being in the secret santa. I was thinking of seeing what weird stuff I can find in a couple of the local comic shops.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I have apparently* received my gift. Thanks, Santa!

*I am a traditionalist who favours opening presents on the day, and I like a dumbass signed up to two goon Secret Santas this year. So i had a package arrive that I wasn't sure which it was for. I had to ask someone to open it in another room and yell whether it was comics or tradgames-related before resealing it. So you won't get my full reaction till Christmas day. But it has arrived!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
To my santee I will probably be sending out the package by the end of this week. Still need to add some finishing touches but I think I got most of the stuff I wanted to get. Maybe I will order some other stuff to pad it out. Or not. Anyway, it will be coming through snail mail so expect some snail mail in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm just waiting on one piece before I send mine off, but my santee also lives like 2 hours away so worst case scenario

• Locked thread