Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Interesting subject but the podcast series in general has really come into it's own recently too:

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/928742572704407552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Today is the 20th anniversary of the Montreal Screwjob so part one of the observer covering it was posted today.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mariooncrack posted:

Today is the 20th anniversary of the Montreal Screwjob so part one of the observer covering it was posted today.

There's another in depth issue from late 98 when Shadows of Wrestling came out. I think that one was from December. Great stuff.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

There's another in depth issue from late 98 when Shadows of Wrestling came out. I think that one was from December. Great stuff.

The list of historical World Title screw jobs in the article wasn't shocking but showed just how crazy early wrestling was and was super great too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Meltzer mentioned on WOL he would like to get that up tomorrow and Bryan said they could probably have it up by next week - it's supposedly the complete audio transcript of the Vince/Bret lockerroom confrontation :aaa:

I'm reading part 1 for the first time and it is bringing back just how bizarre the whole thing was. Best part is Dave opening with,"People will still be talking about this 20 years from now" and welp here we are.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave's piece on the Toyota retirement is pretty great and I'd love a 30 for 30 on the 80's All Japan Women's Dojo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Meltzer mentioned on WOL he would like to get that up tomorrow and Bryan said they could probably have it up by next week - it's supposedly the complete audio transcript of the Vince/Bret lockerroom confrontation :aaa:

I'm reading part 1 for the first time and it is bringing back just how bizarre the whole thing was. Best part is Dave opening with,"People will still be talking about this 20 years from now" and welp here we are.

It's already up, it's in the normal archive.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
AUDIO

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/929036224265883649

https://twitter.com/PrichardShow/status/929030745292763136

https://twitter.com/TheLapsedFan/status/929035682462552064

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bret screwed Bret

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gently caress off narc

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyone who thinks Bret screwed Bret is either a cop or a HBK mark and idk which is worse

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
17~ years ago there was a prowrestling site with a guy on it named something like Dan 'The WCW Mark' something. He wrote a fake article about Bret Hart getting screwed throughout his day; which if you read it in Bret's cadence was hilarious.

It was things like "Woke late this morning because my alarm didn't go off. drat clock screwed me. Paper boy screwed me; threw my paper in the lawn where it got soaked by the sprinklers. Thought my coffee maker screwed me by not turning on...turns out it was my wife who screwed me because it was her turn to set it last night."

It wasn't comedy gold all the way through, but it was pretty darn funny in parts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

17~ years ago there was a prowrestling site with a guy on it named something like Dan 'The WCW Mark' something. He wrote a fake article about Bret Hart getting screwed throughout his day; which if you read it in Bret's cadence was hilarious.

It was things like "Woke late this morning because my alarm didn't go off. drat clock screwed me. Paper boy screwed me; threw my paper in the lawn where it got soaked by the sprinklers. Thought my coffee maker screwed me by not turning on...turns out it was my wife who screwed me because it was her turn to set it last night."

It wasn't comedy gold all the way through, but it was pretty darn funny in parts.

Sorry the only funny things written about wrestling were The Adventures of The nWo B-Team.

...that and GH and Joe's Nitro/Raw reviews.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

rovert posted:

Interesting subject but the podcast series in general has really come into it's own recently too:

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/928742572704407552

Yeah these guys are pretty great

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MassRafTer posted:

Sorry the only funny things written about wrestling were The Adventures of The nWo B-Team.

I wish those reviews were still online.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I wish those reviews were still online.

They were the best part of Prodigy Classic wrestlechat. Well, making fun of Bob Ryder to his face...

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
TheDDT was the peak of wrestling comedy websites.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I liked Dave saying Owens and Sami could be back next Tues, sometime in the future, or never.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Covering all your bases, nice.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

TV Zombie posted:

Covering all your bases, nice.

Not really, no mention of the past changing, leading to them never having been sent home in the first place.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Dave taking the most time to say "I don't know when/if they'll be back" is a very Dave thing.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Dave doesn’t seem to have poo poo for sources in WWE when Jericho and Heyman aren’t there. He’s was way behind on the locker room illness story, and his reporting on KO/Sami breaks zero new ground on the info give by Mike and Ryan’s reporting or Pat Laprade’s Twitter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Dave doesn’t seem to have poo poo for sources in WWE when Jericho and Heyman aren’t there. He’s was way behind on the locker room illness story, and his reporting on KO/Sami breaks zero new ground on the info give by Mike and Ryan’s reporting or Pat Laprade’s Twitter.

He was right about what Reigns had while others were misreporting it. Also was reporting on Jinder's shoulder injury very early. I was going to say he broke the SS main event too but I guess that involves Lesnar.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Jinder’s physique changed, and Dave recognized it, because the same thing happened to his shoulder years ago, so I can’t really count that as a scoop.

I will give you the Roman illness one, Dave was the first with the tentative plan for his return at the Atlanta Raw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Jinder’s physique changed, and Dave recognized it, because the same thing happened to his shoulder years ago, so I can’t really count that as a scoop.

I will give you the Roman illness one, Dave was the first with the tentative plan for his return at the Atlanta Raw.

You do realize he's not lying when he says he talks to WWE and gets injury updates.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

has anyone mentioned the Store Horsemen? a group of comedians talk about WWE PPVs, random news, and various episodes of raw and smackdown. can be kinda hit or miss, but in general is great for a few laughs.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Walter interview is great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

It's already up, it's in the normal archive.

Oh snap, thanks!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

The Learning Tree would like a word with you

https://web.archive.org/web/20010216180446/http://www.oursocalledsport.com:80/learningtree.html

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mkay0 posted:

I've listened to him a decent amount recently and he barely has anything to say about anything. Even with the Jericho thing he's like "Could have happened in August... maybe earlier. What are you thinking about it" like Bryan would even remotely have a clue. He's just been talking for like 5-10 minutes on everything and it's basically just static noise with uhs and ums

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

You do realize he's not lying when he says he talks to WWE and gets injury updates.

Something that anyone in wrestling media could do?

The crux of my point is not that Dave is lying. I don’t think he fabricates anything.

My argument is that he doesn’t have much by way of sources inside the company right now. Last year, it took him a week to know if Ryan Ward or Road Dogg was head writer. That says to me that he had zero quality sources inside. If he can’t get scoops, the value of the service I’m paying for goes dramatically down.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ya know.. that's just, like your mentality, man

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Something that anyone in wrestling media could do?

The crux of my point is not that Dave is lying. I don’t think he fabricates anything.

My argument is that he doesn’t have much by way of sources inside the company right now. Last year, it took him a week to know if Ryan Ward or Road Dogg was head writer. That says to me that he had zero quality sources inside. If he can’t get scoops, the value of the service I’m paying for goes dramatically down.

And in that same time period he knew weeks in advance that AJ Styles was facing Shane at Wrestlemania, that Orton was winning the Rumble and facing Bray, and basically the whole direction for months before it came out, along with return windows for Finn and others.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

He's tweeting too much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

yea ok posted:

He's tweeting too much.

Impossible, there's no such thing as too much Dave tweeting.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Jerusalem posted:

Impossible, there's no such thing as too much Dave tweeting.

Especially today with all the Cena/ROH fantasy booking

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lol if you measure the worth of your subscription in Dave scoops and not Bryan and Vinny shows

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Lol if you measure the worth of your subscription in Dave scoops and not Bryan and Vinny shows

B and V are absolutely the only reason I’m still paying, brother

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I lol'd hard when Bryan was like "I understand that the only reason people listen to the show is for us to be miserable, but we can't do it all the time... we're old!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Watching Labor insist on kicking an own goal over citizenship when it comes to referring their own members going No No lalalalala will be the most Bill Shorten thing. You got gifted the moral high ground now lets make sure we are the villains and appear as obfuscating piss possums.