Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Invalid Validation posted:

Mind you it’s been a long time but I thought the Others were supposed to be a little more than just zombies. With the way the show portrays them I just assume they’re just gonna turn into zombies regardless.

The others are ice elves wearing icy crystalline armor and wielding icy swords; people only remember them as being corpse-like due to the way they're depicted on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Gaunt and hard as old bone is how they're described in the book.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
GRRM describes them as, "... strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous."

So in the book they're basically evil ice faeries.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lycus posted:

Gaunt and hard as old bone is how they're described in the book.

As someone who has dealt with a lot of cadavers, trust me that old bone is brittle and very fragile.

But, yeah, metaphors.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barreft posted:

He said he was in the process of being turned to a WW when the Children stabbed him with dragonglass. Is that right? It's what I seem to remember but it opens up so many other questions my head hurts.

ok thanks, and yeah, that opens up a bunch of other questions.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/jakem0ntgomery/status/925939790683492352

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

kcroy posted:

ok thanks, and yeah, that opens up a bunch of other questions.

Looked it up to check:

quote:

Until the season-six episode “Blood of My Blood,” that is. In that episode, we learned that Benjen Stark was stabbed in the gut with a sword of ice by a White Walker, but the Children of the Forest intervened by shoving a handy blade of dragonglass into his chest to prevent the magic from taking hold. (Someday, we need a dragonglass 101 tutorial: How can it turn you into a White Walker, prevent you from becoming a wight, and kill a White Walker, all in one. Is there anything it can’t do?)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Answer: Magic.

Hold on. You're telling me Harry Potter's wand can make things float, shoot lightning bolts and turn Ron into a horny toad? How?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 2, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

Answer: Magic.

Hold on. You're telling me Harry Potter's wand can make things float, shoot lightning bolts and turn Ron into a horny toad? How?

Dragonglass is clearly overpowered for a low magic world. Nerf that poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The next season is going to be a jack black comedy about farting on the white walkers with dragongas.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The next season is going to be a jack black comedy about farting on the white walkers with dragongas.

The Winds Of Sphincter?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not gonna lie, if they turned Season 8 into one giant Kung-Fu Panda movie, that would be legit amazing :allears:

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
hey asoiaf thread, just wanted to stop by to say i watched logan lucky and it had a really hilarious asoiaf bit that the thread would enjoy

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Former Everything posted:

hey asoiaf thread, just wanted to stop by to say i watched logan lucky and it had a really hilarious asoiaf bit that the thread would enjoy

how was the movie?

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

kcroy posted:

how was the movie?

Pretty darn good imo, definitely worth a watch

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I'm never gonna watch it what's the bit

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I'm never gonna watch it what's the bit

Some dudes in a prison riot capture some guards as hostages and part of their demands are for the latest ASOIAF volumes to be bought for the prison library. The leaders refuse to believe GRRM isn’t done, quoting some of his completion promises from before they went into prison, and are skeptical about there being a show.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is the book out yet?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Some dudes in a prison riot capture some guards as hostages and part of their demands are for the latest ASOIAF volumes to be bought for the prison library. The leaders refuse to believe GRRM isn’t done, quoting some of his completion promises from before they went into prison, and are skeptical about there being a show.

Lmfaooo

Nice

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Appropos of not much, MGMT's "Congratulations" is such a 2017 album

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Syzygy Stardust posted:

This is a well crafted gag.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

TK-42-1 posted:

This is a well crafted gag.

The best pop culture gag about GRRM's worthlessness is in the obscure show Younger, which my wife watches and I've caught a few episodes. The main earner of the publishing company the characters work for is "Edward LL Moore," author of the wildly popular "Crown of Kings" series. They cast Richard Mansur in the role as an old, skeevy, heavily bearded dude who is so morbidly obese he has to use a mobility scooter to get around. Under a female pen name he writes a book about the female orgasm, and it has some really gross and intimate passages that he lovingly reads out, to the obvious discomfort of the young female editors and assistants at the publishing house. They, of course, have to pretend he's not a loving human garbage fire because he makes the company so much money.

I really hope GRRM has seen the episodes where his doppleganger appears.

Syzygy Stardust fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 11, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

some guy on the bus posted:

Is the book out yet?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

some guy on the bus posted:

Is the book out yet?

smh at asking this question during football season

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

PupsOfWar posted:

smh at asking this question

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

football season

Sorry for my ignorance but when is it not football season in the US ?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

from mid february until early september.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

from mid february until early september.

Yeah but then you have the combine and the draft and training camp and then the preseason starts in early August.

Football season never ends for junkies like GRRM.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i do love that martin roots for two awful teams and that my team is his most hated and is the best.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i do love that martin roots for two awful teams and that my team is his most hated and is the best.
I know he roots for the Jets. Who else? and who does he hate? I might as well keep it in mind when football's on since it'd at least make me smile.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Yeah but then you have the combine and the draft and training camp and then the preseason starts in early August.

Football season never ends for junkies like GRRM.

You have to be a 99.9th percentile junkie to really care much about what happens in training camp or OTAs, so I imagine Martin does most of his writing in between April and August

or, rather, I would imagine this if it weren't for the fact that late spring/summer is Convention season.

If he won't write during football season and won't write during con season, there is really no time when he can write.

tl;dr books never getting finished

Ravenfood posted:

I know he roots for the Jets. Who else? and who does he hate? I might as well keep it in mind when football's on since it'd at least make me smile.

I assume the Patriots are his foes

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

"The galley was also where the ship's books were kept ... the fourth and final volume of The Life of the Triarch Belicho, a famous Volantene patriot whose unbroken succession of conquests and triumphs ended rather abruptly when he was eaten by giants."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

"The galley was also where the ship's books were kept ... the fourth and final volume of The Life of the Triarch Belicho, a famous Volantene patriot whose unbroken succession of conquests and triumphs ended rather abruptly when he was eaten by giants."

Alas, he was done in by his top general's deceitful practice of slightly deflating... I can't finish this metaphor. All's I know is GRRM is good and right to hate Tom Brady, Bill Belichec and the Pats. They're the NFL Official Evil team.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If tom brady says balls should be deflated, they should be. The NFL should be sanctioned for over-inflating them.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

when I first heard about deflategate, I assumed the controversy was that the patriots had somehow infiltrated the colts' equipment staff and deflated their balls so that Luck wouldn't be able to throw them as well

which would be cheating

later I learned that the actual idea was that the Patriots' staff had deflated their own balls because Brady thought it'd help him throw better

which seems like something the QB should be able to decide

anyway the Patriots are very evil and I'm glad Triarch Belicho was devoured by Giants.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Something something neep-deflationgate.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

when I first heard about deflategate, I assumed the controversy was that the patriots had somehow infiltrated the colts' equipment staff and deflated their balls so that Luck wouldn't be able to throw them as well

which would be cheating

later I learned that the actual idea was that the Patriots' staff had deflated their own balls because Brady thought it'd help him throw better

which seems like something the QB should be able to decide

anyway the Patriots are very evil and I'm glad Triarch Belicho was devoured by Giants.

I mean, both teams have to throw the ball.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

No one HAS to do anything.

See: GURM

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Each team brings their own balls.

It’s pretty dumb, but objectively so is football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

Each team brings their own balls.

It’s pretty dumb, but objectively so is football.

Yes, but interceptions happen. Both teams handle the balls, they need to be standard