Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

joylessdivision posted:

I mean if Faraci was brought back after his accusations, are you really surprised the fat nerd king wouldn't be protected?

I lost all respect for Drafthouse after it came out that he was still working for them under the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Timby posted:

I lost all respect for Drafthouse after it came out that he was still working for them under the table.

Yeah that really turned me off of supporting them which sucks because they've got a theater in SF that plays some awesome selections.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/richard-dreyfuss-accused-of-exposing-himself-to-woman.html

Someone made an allegation against Richard Dreyfuss.

https://medium.com/@anthonyedwards/yes-mom-there-is-something-wrong-f2bcf56434b9

Anthony Edwards says Gary Goddard is a real bad dude.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah that really turned me off of supporting them which sucks because they've got a theater in SF that plays some awesome selections.

I've stopped going to the SF drafthouse after the allegations dropped and it turned out Tim League had secretly rehired Faraci and covered up a second accusation against him with flippant responses, the over a decade of Harry Knowles enabling was just piss icing on the trash cake. At that point I was going 2-3 times a month. Luckily the Roxie and Castro are still around and some other theaters are still doing special shows. I'm also avoiding any film festival that screens shows at the Drafthouse and have actively confronted a few of them to get assurances they won't. SFFilm is "actively monitoring the situation" but so far have avoided the Drafthouse so I'm still seeing some of their shows. Tim League has skirted by with no real punishment aside from a "listening tour" and far too many film twitter ding dongs still actively go to their local Drafthouse despite being outraged at every new sex abuse scandal. People at Fantastic Fest were being all defensive about going, I was perfectly willing to not get angry at people who bought tickets/hotels/whatever in advance, but if you are still going now you are part of the problem.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How long now until people start preemptively coming forward to admit their crimes so as to avoid some of the backlash?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pedro De Heredia posted:

He has successful movies every 5 years or so (Match Point, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Midnight in Paris, and Blue Jasmine all made a decent amount of money) and won an Oscar a few years ago. He's chugging along just fine.

The Woody Allen case is considerably different than a lot of other ones because 1) he's always denied it, 2) some other people have backed this denial, 3) there is a plausible alternative explanation, and 4) the case actually went through the legal system. You may well think he did it (and there's a good chance he did) but it's vague enough that treating him as guilty (declaring him persona non grata in Hollywood) is probably too extreme.
Mitt Romney of all people had a pretty apt response to the Roy Moore poo poo:

quote:

Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections. I believe Leigh Corfman. Her account is too serious to ignore. Moore is unfit for office and should step aside.

I get that our justice system is a key part of our society, but I think it's misguided to use as the corner stone for how we discuss these cases. It's especially true when sexual assault cases are often hard to prove and often the accusations are delayed due to fear from the victim. People are allowed to say, "I don't want to work with that creepy dude who basically married his adopted daughter."

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
George Takei is denying the attempted rape charge. What a piece of poo poo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Based on all the stuff Takei has said and done on the Stern show over the years, it’s not at all surprising that he’s got allegations against him now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

I seriously couldn't believe how aful League had to be to release the statement he did when he got caught. gently caress them. Like Tars Tarkas we were going like three times a month and my wife and I even had a group of tennish people doing the same for Terror Tuesdays/etc. special nights but we killed that pretty quick.

It's a bit frustrating, uh, I don't want to go into gentrification chat too much but it was a bit frustrating how many other people I know that are from like New Jersey or whatever it's not like they're from the west coast or are outside of country. But somehow their reason to keep going to the Alamo here is that "there was no theater showing cult movies until the Alamo got here" and it's like, dude, even if you only lived in NYC for a few years or whatever, like, seriously? You can see whatever movie exists all over town and you're still going to give Tim League money. Just crazy how successful Alamo has been with that branding of themselves to nerds. Like yeah I loved seeing a rad horror flick there every week but that selection is still 100% stuff that's either been on YouTube forever or is just about to come out on blu-ray/streaming services.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How long now until people start preemptively coming forward to admit their crimes so as to avoid some of the backlash?

I was wondering about this too. There's always the brigade of "well he apologized/power of redemption/he's changed and that was years ago" defensive dudes whenever one of these accusations comes out. But does anyone actually believe in that if in light of the past few weeks no one has actually confessed or spoken out about their actions until they're called out? gently caress all of these people.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

I was wondering about this too. There's always the brigade of "well he apologized/power of redemption/he's changed and that was years ago" defensive dudes whenever one of these accusations comes out. But does anyone actually believe in that if in light of the past few weeks no one has actually confessed or spoken out about their actions until they're called out? gently caress all of these people.
Devil's Advocate: Even the apologizing celebs have a career, budget and future to consider and/or risk throwing away from their POV. Would they so willingly throw that away if they didn't have to? If they didn't have to step up? Therefore they would prefer to not step up and confess.

(One may not be able to agree with their actions, but perhaps be able to understand them. Weinstein, however, clearly has the mind of a self-entitled manchild and sex predator who gets what he wants because he's rich - so gently caress that guy.)

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 11, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah sorry I was more referring to the Weinsteins and Bill O'Reillys of the world where they literally don't have to work at all and/or can continue to work and get paid anyway. Like Fox even hired O-Reilly back recently.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not happening. Nobody sees themselves as a villain.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not happening. Nobody sees themselves as a villain.

Didn’t Ben Affleck do something like this about a week after the Weinstein story first dropped?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Didn’t Ben Affleck do something like this about a week after the Weinstein story first dropped?

Nope, he got called out for groping first

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh and should I be glad that hollywood is finally crumbling like this or

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Nope, he got called out for groping first

Ah right so much going on that stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Exclusive: New Kevin Spacey accuser tells of 1981 'wordless' assault, then 'scary anger'
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...ffed/852742001/

"Within minutes, wordlessly, he was up and all over me," Holtzman says. "The aggression was certainly more than a grope. When I was finally able to push him off and scream (at him), he theatrically stepped back, incredibly angry, grabbed his coat and bag, stormed out and slammed the door."

Holtzman says he was shocked, then freaked out. Would Spacey get him fired? He kept fretting: What did I do, what signal did I send? And, "what the hell just happened to me?"

The 'Star Trek' icon denies a claim by Scott R. Brunton, who says he was groped at the actor's Los Angeles condo.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-accused-sexually-assaulting-model-1981-1056698

"The next thing I remember I was coming to and he had my pants down around my ankles and he was groping my crotch and trying to get my underwear off and feeling me up at the same time, trying to get his hands down my underwear," Brunton says. "I came to and said, 'What are you doing?!' I said, 'I don't want to do this.' He goes, 'You need to relax. I am just trying to make you comfortable. Get comfortable.' And I said, 'No. I don't want to do this.'

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Re: whether or not DailyMail, The Sun, and other tabloids can on some occasion be reliable exposes

While I agree that these publications are trashy, long before the rumors gained mainstream credibility it was stories published in DM that made me familiar with Steven Seagal, Louis CK, and Jeffrey Epstein potentially being sex predators and perverts. I think keeping a cautiously open mind is fair, and to even ask yourself honestly what you would be capable of with power that is hard to fathom, combined with a culture of acceptance.

I was always one to believe that this culture of abuse is beyond one's wildest imagination, and I wouldn't doubt a bit that various Celtic sex cults and such that are bizarre and horrific exist. In other words, pedophilia rings and orgies in which the subjects are sex-trafficked minors are plausible. The casting couch is ubiquitous, that we can say for sure. Etc.

Millions or billions of dollars can a go long way to set up networks of defense and shut people up. You can look at Hillary and Bill Clinton's methods back in the 1990s as blueprints. This is described in Christopher Hitchens ' essay "No One Left to Lie To"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shatner got beamed up Scotty-free while Takei turned out the sex predator?

What an unjust timeline.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

In case we forgot about Bryan Singer stories several years ago:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bryan-singer-sex-abuse-suit-699673

edit: Interesting to note that Spacey played Lex Luther in Bryan Singer's Superman Returns. He and Singer like young boys & IMO very likely attended the same parties. Wow, this is like a game of "connect the perverts".

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 12, 2017

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENrycwthLpg

LOL this motherfucker needs to rot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Someone should really look into the Relativity Media story. Ratner, Spacey and Singer working together. Payoffs were being made to any families who might've complained about Singer and his behaviour, even though he would insist everything was totally legal. Spacey allegedly didn't care about the totally legal part quite so much.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Just gleefully recalling sexually assualting people.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grouchio posted:

Shatner got beamed up Scotty-free while Takei turned out the sex predator?

Shatner just had a string of failed marriages (the first two because he was an ignorant, neglectful rear end of a partner, the third because his wife was an alcoholic and drowned in their pool).

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Gal Gadot is refusing to do Wonder Woman 2 unless ties are completely severed with Brett Ratner

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/11/gal-gadot-will-only-be-wonder-woman-again-if-brett-ratner-is-out/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tars Tarkas posted:

Gal Gadot is refusing to do Wonder Woman 2 unless ties are completely severed with Brett Ratner

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/11/gal-gadot-will-only-be-wonder-woman-again-if-brett-ratner-is-out/

Given how things are going and how WW did, I think she would have gotten her wish even if she hadn't made that demand.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Shatner is going to be, either literally or metaphorically, the last one standing at this rate and that really wierds me out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Shatner is going to be, either literally or metaphorically, the last one standing at this rate and that really wierds me out.

I think Takei will outlive him out of pure spite, but otherwise, eh -- Nichols seems to be taking care of herself. The one I am pretty sure will go next is Koenig, because he's just been a walking shell ever since his son killed himself, and he's really slowed down over the past year or so.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

precision posted:

Given how things are going and how WW did, I think she would have gotten her wish even if she hadn't made that demand.

Uhh, Wonder Woman is the best movie so far in that dumpster fire of a cinematic universe. Gal Godot's wonder woman is one of the few thinks making anything watchable. I'd say out of anyone, she has the most pull here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

basic hitler posted:

Uhh, Wonder Woman is the best movie so far in that dumpster fire of a cinematic universe. Gal Godot's wonder woman is one of the few thinks making anything watchable. I'd say out of anyone, she has the most pull here.

...that's exactly what I meant though? Meaning that they would have dumped Ratner no matter what because of What's Goin' On

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

precision posted:

...that's exactly what I meant though? Meaning that they would have dumped Ratner no matter what because of What's Goin' On

I misunderstood then, my apologies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Timby posted:

I think Takei will outlive him out of pure spite, but otherwise, eh -- Nichols seems to be taking care of herself. The one I am pretty sure will go next is Koenig, because he's just been a walking shell ever since his son killed himself, and he's really slowed down over the past year or so.

I didn't hear that what happened?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

This is all pretty hosed up and crazy.

I don't want to defend Takei per se, because I find him sort of creepy and vile when he does his "leering old gay man" act, but I sincerely think it's *mostly* just an act.

What he's describing is something that actually is incredibly common in consensual gay sex and - I have to imagine - in heterosexual sex too, when both parties are consenting but things are nervous and awkward. Probably this sort of thing is more common with gay folk in general? Being straight things are a bit more, well, straightforward in how sexual roles are defined and who takes the initiative in touching what at which time, and so on. Or maybe not and those are just silly notions I have about het sex. Not to talk *too* much about myself, but I'm a cis gay guy who is incredibly shy and "skittish" in such situations. I'd probably still be a virgin at 32 if it weren't for other people taking the initiative.

I just mean to say that there's a BIG goddamn difference between initiating sex with a skittish and shy (but consenting) partner by proactively doing something physical, and forcing yourself on someone who is unconsenting or unconscious. I just think it's important to make the distinction here, because I honestly think Takei was trying to talk about the former situation, NOT the latter in that clip. I just think it's a stretch to call that "gleefully recalling past assaults."

This does not excuse Takei from anything, and it doesn't mean his accuser his wrong. I actually think his accuser was probably correct, and listening to that clip and how easily he is making *jokes* about the whole situation is kinda hosed up and makes me believe his accuser even more. So I *really* don't want people to take this as me defending Takei, it's just that it feels like gay sex is being demonized enough as a result of Kevin "loving" Spacey that I feel some deep need to defend the basics of consensual penis-touching.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I cannot express how deeply terrifying this clip now is to me. Jeff Bridges' reaction shots have only gotten better, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxGA8QaoC0

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Whoa

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm sorry but that video really is misleading as hell because at no point are "boys" mentioned ("guys" are mentioned for whatever it is worth I don't think the word "boy" is ever said")and at no point does he "justify" any behavior, nor does he talk about the allegations made towards him.

I'm just very afraid that this whole thing will devolve into "HOMOSEXUAL MEN ARE ALL PERVERTED PEDOPHILES" and there are lots of people who sincerely believe that who are crowing over this.

As a gay man who *was* sexually assaulted numerous times as a child and works with counseling young people who have experienced similar things and have nobody else to talk to. It just... There is already the stigma about being gay and all the baggage that comes with, and the speed at which we go from Kevin Spacey assaulting people to George Takei (who, yes, may or may not be scum who tried to sexually assault a *man* on one occasion) talking about consensual sex is downright frightening. And yeah, all he is talking about is consensual sex in his home with a partner who was a little bit hesitant or nervous. There are LOTS of people (especially gay people) who are very hesitant and nervous about sex, as I have said. It's not an uncommon thing. That is EXPLICITLY what Takei is talking about here, and there is nothing wrong with it. This does NOT preclude Takei from being a creep or a rapist; it just means that what he is discussing in this 2-minute claim is nothing unusual or wrong and I kinda take exception to painting it that way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah there's a lot of issues in the gay community and sexual assault is just as common as in the straight community , however the conversation that Takei is having with Howard Stern doesn't seem like he's admitting to assault.

Now get ready for some real talk it's not uncommon for younger men as 15 to 17 to have consensual relationships with much older men. It's not something I condone but for a lot of gay men their first consensual homosexual.encounter is with someone who is older.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

Now get ready for some real talk it's not uncommon for younger men as 15 to 17 to have consensual relationships with much older men. It's not something I condone but for a lot of gay men their first consensual homosexual.encounter is with someone who is older.

Many people don't think that 15-17 year olds are old enough to properly consent. Would you say the same thing about 15-17 year old girls who have "consensual" sex with (sometimes much) older men? Not a rhetorical question, just wondering. I mean hell, a whole lot of people get up in arms when older men and younger women get together even when they're in a location where it's absolutely legally above-board.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

kaworu posted:

This is all pretty hosed up and crazy.

I don't want to defend Takei per se, because I find him sort of creepy and vile when he does his "leering old gay man" act, but I sincerely think it's *mostly* just an act.

What he's describing is something that actually is incredibly common in consensual gay sex and - I have to imagine - in heterosexual sex too, when both parties are consenting but things are nervous and awkward. Probably this sort of thing is more common with gay folk in general? Being straight things are a bit more, well, straightforward in how sexual roles are defined and who takes the initiative in touching what at which time, and so on. Or maybe not and those are just silly notions I have about het sex. Not to talk *too* much about myself, but I'm a cis gay guy who is incredibly shy and "skittish" in such situations. I'd probably still be a virgin at 32 if it weren't for other people taking the initiative.

I just mean to say that there's a BIG goddamn difference between initiating sex with a skittish and shy (but consenting) partner by proactively doing something physical, and forcing yourself on someone who is unconsenting or unconscious. I just think it's important to make the distinction here, because I honestly think Takei was trying to talk about the former situation, NOT the latter in that clip. I just think it's a stretch to call that "gleefully recalling past assaults."

This does not excuse Takei from anything, and it doesn't mean his accuser his wrong. I actually think his accuser was probably correct, and listening to that clip and how easily he is making *jokes* about the whole situation is kinda hosed up and makes me believe his accuser even more. So I *really* don't want people to take this as me defending Takei, it's just that it feels like gay sex is being demonized enough as a result of Kevin "loving" Spacey that I feel some deep need to defend the basics of consensual penis-touching.

This is a quote from the Hollywood Reporter article:

"The next thing I remember I was coming to and he had my pants down around my ankles and he was groping my crotch and trying to get my underwear off and feeling me up at the same time, trying to get his hands down my underwear," Brunton says. "I came to and said, 'What are you doing?!' I said, 'I don't want to do this.' He goes, 'You need to relax. I am just trying to make you comfortable. Get comfortable.' And I said, 'No. I don't want to do this.' And I pushed him off and he said, 'OK, fine.' And I said I am going to go and he said, 'If you feel you must. You're in no condition to drive.' I said, 'I don't care I want to go.' So I managed to get my pants up and compose myself and I was just shocked. I walked out and went to my car until I felt well enough to drive home, and that was that."

This doesn't sound at all like consenting, but skittish and shy sex. Certainly not the way the accuser describes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

precision posted:

Even if Gadot's comments are more of a symbolic gesture, a woman shifting her weight around Hollywood and making it clear that she's not going to abide toleration of sexual predators--especially a woman who is loving Wonder Woman--is one hell of a symbolic gesture.

The focus isn't litigating individual creeps. The focus is changing the culture and conversation in general.