Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
on solaris, zfs was a software marvel that threatened the business models of a dozen NAS vendors. mature, well-supported, battle-tested in the field.

on linux, zfs is a fork of a long-dead open source project supported by one (1) guy at a national research lab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on solaris, zfs was a software marvel that threatened the business models of a dozen NAS vendors. mature, well-supported, battle-tested in the field.

on linux, zfs is a fork of a long-dead open source project supported by one (1) guy at a national research lab

god bless Brian Behlendorf

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

much like a lot of other critical, widely used components such as bash and the timezone database

zfs is still being actively developed as open-zfs. in fact they are finally working on adding raid-z expansion

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The_Franz posted:

much like a lot of other critical, widely used components such as bash and the timezone database

zfs is still being actively developed as open-zfs. in fact they are finally working on adding raid-z expansion

haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure btrfs gets a lot more developer action than zfs.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on a dead operating system, yes

on linux, not at all

zfs is mature and well supported on freebsd. freebsd is good and not dead.

Tankakern posted:

haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure btrfs gets a lot more developer action than zfs.

maybe so, but zfs raid actually works and doesn't eat your data.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tankakern posted:

they're all crapping in it, as far as i can tell

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Condiv posted:

is butterfs dead or can I use it for a shared storage system on my network? 💀

we have a bunch of biologists who forget to delete poo poo on the regular so I want both quotas and automatic compression of uploaded poo poo

for fun try some sort of distributed filesystem instead

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

why would i need btrfs raid or zfs raid if i have an actual hw raid controller?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
filesystem level snapshots, cross-machine or FS incremental snapshot replication, data and metadata chrcksumming in a smart way, rebuilding data instead of a block device, saving time if the FS on the disks isn't very full

the filesystem level redundancy and checksumming lets the filesystem recover from minor corruption the way hardware raid can't: if you have a RAID 1 and the two copies of your data differ, with hardware raid it's a crapshoot, with zfs or btrfs you use the copy with the correct checksum to fix the corrupt copy

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lysidas posted:

filesystem level snapshots, cross-machine or FS incremental snapshot replication, data and metadata chrcksumming in a smart way, rebuilding data instead of a block device, saving time if the FS on the disks isn't very full

the filesystem level redundancy and checksumming lets the filesystem recover from minor corruption the way hardware raid can't: if you have a RAID 1 and the two copies of your data differ, with hardware raid it's a crapshoot, with zfs or btrfs you use the copy with the correct checksum to fix the corrupt copy

hmm, cool.

looking at the info on btrfs quotas though is discouraging. it seems like subvolumes and quotas can interact to result in lost disk space, which is p hosed up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm really lost on btrfs. in one place i read "the issues with x are really bad and it'll eat your data", in another i read "x works fine don't worry about it"

does SLES use any special patches on btrfs or is it just bog standard btrfs i could get in centos 7 or fedora server edition or something? i'm thinking about trying to make this a RAID 10 system and i hope it's worth it :(

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
BuTteRy loving Smooth

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

just use zfs on FreeBSD

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SamDabbers posted:

maybe so, but zfs raid actually works and doesn't eat your data.

exactly—use ZFS on FreeBSD for storage, use that storage on other systems via NFS or whatever

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

btrfs has inaccurate free space calculations and forces you to consider metadata space when fixing filesystem issues and does not want you to use all of your free space

zfs is kinda confusing when I used it for freenas

xfs is straightforward and just works

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Lysidas posted:

Also known as the RAID write hole, or in House's words: everyone lies. Hardware and RAID driver developers have been breaking the commit contract. The original ZFS blog was quite enlightening on topic.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
btrfs and zfs stir up my curmudgeonly feelings but idk maybe they're good

i kinda feel like you shouldn't have 16+ tb filesystems and have that filesystem be the highest level of abstraction you work with tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
it's called btrfs because it's not good but it's getting btr

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's called btrfs because it's not good but it's getting btr

i worked with zfs on solaris, and it was cool and good. super easy to work with. first time i did a disk swap i was confused at the end because it couldn't possibly have been that easy and smooth

dunno about zfs on other platforms tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

i worked with zfs on solaris, and it was cool and good. super easy to work with. first time i did a disk swap i was confused at the end because it couldn't possibly have been that easy and smooth

yeah former employer's product allegedly was best on zfs and smartos

but now i mostly don't care about filesystems because the exciting poo poo happens in process memory

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

thats basically it. my main problem with zfs now is for some reason dkms doesnt rebuild it automatically anymore

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

i kinda feel like you shouldn't have 16+ tb filesystems and have that filesystem be the highest level of abstraction you work with tho

it works like lvm, where for home use you might as well use all your available storage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SamDabbers posted:

freebsd zfs is derived from the same ancient lovely code dump as the Linux version, circa 2010.

i am not willing to bet my data or my business on the "maturity" of a fork from an ancient beta of solaris, whether that forked driver is hacked into FreeBSD or Linux doesn't matter

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Condiv posted:

why would i need btrfs raid or zfs raid if i have an actual hw raid controller?

At this point using hardware raid 5 or 6 with large (multiple terabytes) disks is downright dangerous, because the chances of a disk error increase with size and the time for recovery does as well. And because spinners haven't really gotten much faster recovery takes ages. So if (when) a disk fails and the array needs to be rebuilt it will take days to complete and the chances of another disk in the array developing an issue while rebuilding is pretty high.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

spankmeister posted:

At this point using hardware raid 5 or 6 with large (multiple terabytes) disks is downright dangerous, because the chances of a disk error increase with size and the time for recovery does as well. And because spinners haven't really gotten much faster recovery takes ages. So if (when) a disk fails and the array needs to be rebuilt it will take days to complete and the chances of another disk in the array developing an issue while rebuilding is pretty high.

this happens all the time with our old EVA SAN. rebuild typically takes one or two other disks with it and takes days, even with 15k disks. would love a ssd san but our ceo is pretty committed to buying used poo poo from 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sapozhnik posted:

again poo poo like lizardFS is pretty dang cool

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

raid with btrfs is cool+good because you get free corruption detection and automatic repair at the file level. you don't get that with hw raid.

don't use lvm if your just jbodding stuff, make one gpt partition (to be sure that stuff is aligned to 4k) and just use btrfs

freespace calc is much better now too, all that stuff people here keeps nagging about btrfs is fixed problems. and doing backups on btrfs is so good that i can never return to another filesystem now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

once bitten

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
year of linux on the ppc laptop: https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/en/

i couldn't find anything on the website to explain *why* a ppc laptop is something that needs to happen beyond "ppc is a cool architecture." any insights?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

year of linux on the ppc laptop: https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/en/

i couldn't find anything on the website to explain *why* a ppc laptop is something that needs to happen beyond "ppc is a cool architecture." any insights?

modern x86 is closed as gently caress. the newest laptop you can boot with purely open source software + firmware is from circa 2006.

if you are shopping for an arch to build a meaningfully "open" laptop on top of, your options are mips, power, and arm. actually-existing mips and arm cores that you can really licese are slow as dirt. so that leaves power as the last man standing.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a company tried to market a power8 workstation not too long ago and failed miserably, mainly because they were asking $3000+ for a machine with limited software support. they are trying again with a power9 based machine, starting at the low, low price of only $4100.

are the current ppc perf/watt numbers even suitable for a laptop? one of the main reasons why apple dumped them years ago was because they were falling way behind intel in that department.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

a company tried to market a power8 workstation not too long ago and failed miserably, mainly because they were asking $3000+ for a machine with limited software support. they are trying again with a power9 based machine, starting at the low, low price of only $4100.

i think they failed less because of the price, and more because they are a fly-by-night with no product

they were asking people to lay down $4k pre-orders to fund the development of the thing ostensibly being offered for sale

The_Franz posted:

are the current ppc perf/watt numbers even suitable for a laptop? one of the main reasons why apple dumped them years ago was because they were falling way behind intel in that department.

the big ibm power chips certainly aren't suitable

freescale might have something, idk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think they failed less because of the price, and more because they are a fly-by-night with no product

they were asking people to lay down $4k pre-orders to fund the development of the thing ostensibly being offered for sale

thats ridiculous who would ever do something like that

oh. right.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ppcinstructions

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The competence gap between Intel and literally every single other CPU manufacturer put together really is pretty remarkable. Apart from that one slip-up with NetBurst they really were (and are) a force to be reckoned with. I can't think of any other market sector where one company so completely and utterly dominates its competition.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"Sure is a nice semiconductor business you've got going on here, very profitable. Be a real shame if it was suddenly threatened with a huge anti-trust investigation, yeah? Does horrible things to the share price.

Say, on another topic, we had some ideas about our SIGINT enablement efforts we wanted to run by you."

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I once got an arm laptop (probably more accurately called a netbook) from a company called Genesi.

It was thinner than a comparable acer netbook, but screen size was about the same, I think. Battery life was amazing. As long as I didn’t have to compile anything or visit complex websites, it was pretty OK. I mainly used it for for typing and taking notes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Apple seems to be decently competent at CPU design these days

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

amd invented the architecture everyone uses. well cya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sapozhnik posted:

The competence gap between Intel and literally every single other CPU manufacturer put together really is pretty remarkable. Apart from that one slip-up with NetBurst they really were (and are) a force to be reckoned with. I can't think of any other market sector where one company so completely and utterly dominates its competition.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Apple seems to be decently competent at CPU design these days

yeah, in fact they're doing vastly better than intel at cpu cores designed for phone power profiles. intel completely missed out on that market, the stuff they tried to sell was late and kinda half-assed and eventually they gave up when even heroic marketing techniques (essentially giving the chips away) failed to make a dent.

in the high power realm intel has had little meaningful competition during the ~10 years of amd wandering in the desert, but apparently amd's newest cpu core is p. deece? idk much about it, haven't had time to read up