Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You know, back at my first restaurant job I used to think I wanted to keep working through instead of taking a break. The sous would always offer and I'd always say no because it felt wrong to go sit and do nothing while there was still a lot of stuff that needed to be done. Eventually corporate started cracking down and I was forced to start taking my breaks no matter what. At the very start it stressed me out but soon enough I realized that I was feeling a lot better and my attitude was improving and I really started to cherish my breaks. It can be so tempting to just keep the blinders on, stay in go-go-go mode, and work yourself to death, whether out of a sense of responsibility to your team, being competitive, or just plain addicted to losing yourself in the rush. But the reality is I was worse at my job and had a shittier attitude when I wasn't well rested. Being able to take 30 minutes to decompress, recover and practice a little patience made all the difference. And wouldn't you know it, the restaurant didn't fall apart while I was gone for a half hour and we still managed to get all our work done. So please do take your breaks if you have the option and allow yourself to enjoy them - you're worth it ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Last night I'm at my favorite hole in the wall bar after a closing shift which is populated with regulars who all used to work at my work a couple years back and moved on and the manager of the place is trying to dish dirt about Chef Dicklips--the guy who was gonna replace the departed CdC before our awful FnB head got drunk with someone he liked better for the slot, meaning Dicklips gets to settle for exec sous and a massive chip on his shoulder--trying to be all "oooooh man, years back he got caught with a hooker and some blow and didn't serve time somehow!"

and i'm like, bruh

a) Definitely Snitching Your Dealer Out To The Cops isn't even in like, the top ten most compromising character traits I've had to deal with outta chefs in the last year
2) Frankly, I'm glad the brown-nosing man-clad case against further attempts at advancement in this field has a hobby. It humanizes him, really. He doesn't really give me much else to work with in terms of empathy.
d) Come on homie, like you'd be sparing him your judgement if he had the girl with a room temperature sasparilla and yesterday's New York Times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Willie Tomg posted:

yes but i need the money, and don't need 30 minutes waiting to make more money, and i do not actually enjoy being on-property for its own sake. is the thing. :(

if the breaks are paid then hell yes, because i am a profoundly lazy person in many ways. but they generally are not, which harshes my mellow.

Yeah, mandatory breaks really loving suck for FOH, not because you miss out on 30 minutes of minimum wage, but because it means you miss out on tables. Even if it's slow and you're at a place with a lower price point that can still be 10-15 bucks, if you work 4 days a week that's $200 a month you're losing. And you can't do anything important with that time

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I generally spent it eating free food to keep my weak human body active

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

caleb posted:

Aren't split shifts illegal without extra compensation in your state? And you get actual breaks? Tell me more about how bad it is... :allears:

lol i know how good my situation is compared to a lot of industry folks in this country but goddamnit i will never stop complaining

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Thoht posted:

And wouldn't you know it, the restaurant didn't fall apart while I was gone for a half hour and we still managed to get all our work done.

this bit here took me so long to wrap my head around

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the great deceiver posted:

lol i know how good my situation is compared to a lot of industry folks in this country but goddamnit i will never stop complaining

you guys south of the border are treated so lovely :sigh:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

They're all also automatic doors.

i missed this reading it the first time and now i'm insanely jealous. enjoy your palace with the cold storage capacity of a small warehouse

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Thoht posted:

You know, back at my first restaurant job I used to think I wanted to keep working through instead of taking a break. The sous would always offer and I'd always say no because it felt wrong to go sit and do nothing while there was still a lot of stuff that needed to be done. Eventually corporate started cracking down and I was forced to start taking my breaks no matter what. At the very start it stressed me out but soon enough I realized that I was feeling a lot better and my attitude was improving and I really started to cherish my breaks. It can be so tempting to just keep the blinders on, stay in go-go-go mode, and work yourself to death, whether out of a sense of responsibility to your team, being competitive, or just plain addicted to losing yourself in the rush. But the reality is I was worse at my job and had a shittier attitude when I wasn't well rested. Being able to take 30 minutes to decompress, recover and practice a little patience made all the difference. And wouldn't you know it, the restaurant didn't fall apart while I was gone for a half hour and we still managed to get all our work done. So please do take your breaks if you have the option and allow yourself to enjoy them - you're worth it ;)

this, and in every profession, and in every action

there have been so many times I've felt like I couldn't leave a work thing for even 5 minutes to take a piss or something. seriously goddamn unhealthy. I still feel existentially guilty constantly about like, having to tell someone I can't drop everything and do something, or missing a phone call and not being able to return it for a day. I'm pretty sure I inherited the guilt from my early work-in-BOH / first job out of college days. and the worst part is I'll catch myself resenting someone else if I ask them to do something and they don't treat it with the same sort of urgency. at least I catch myself though, and realize the world isn't going to burn down because some dumb thing doesn't happen right loving now. ugh. capitalism sucks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mindphlux posted:

this, and in every profession, and in every action

there have been so many times I've felt like I couldn't leave a work thing for even 5 minutes to take a piss or something. seriously goddamn unhealthy. I still feel existentially guilty constantly about like, having to tell someone I can't drop everything and do something, or missing a phone call and not being able to return it for a day. I'm pretty sure I inherited the guilt from my early work-in-BOH / first job out of college days. and the worst part is I'll catch myself resenting someone else if I ask them to do something and they don't treat it with the same sort of urgency. at least I catch myself though, and realize the world isn't going to burn down because some dumb thing doesn't happen right loving now. ugh. capitalism sucks.

The main issue with this is that some people aren't able to comprehend that what they need isn't your top priority and so every single request has to be fulfilled right then. You have to learn how to say no to people to protect your own time, and hopefully give them some idea of when you'll get back to them. I've often found that this becomes less common the more senior you get within an organization - obviously there are exceptions, but that was my experience while in sales. Or, at the very least, when I got a request from a director they were able to tell me if it was urgent.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Thread I did it. I told the restaurant I was cutting my hours down to 3 shifts a week. So now instead of working 11 shifts a week across my two jobs I'm down to 8.

Holy poo poo I feel incredible, here's a list of things I have had time for during the last month:

- my hobbies
- cooking
- eating vegetables
- restful sleep
- sex with my girlfriend
- time with friends
- the gym
- road trips
- time with family
- time to pet my cats

Don't overwork yourself, I was insanely close to hitting the wall and burning out, I cannot believe how much better I feel about life (even if I sometimes miss the extra cash money)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Thread I did it. I told the restaurant I was cutting my hours down to 3 shifts a week. So now instead of working 11 shifts a week across my two jobs I'm down to 8.

Holy poo poo I feel incredible, here's a list of things I have had time for during the last month:

- my hobbies
- cooking
- eating vegetables
- restful sleep
- sex with my girlfriend
- time with friends
- the gym
- road trips
- time with family
- time to pet my cats

Don't overwork yourself, I was insanely close to hitting the wall and burning out, I cannot believe how much better I feel about life (even if I sometimes miss the extra cash money)

Grats! Now you can smile like that FOR REAL.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i did the same thing a month ago, down to 8 shifts instead of 11. it feels good man, congrats. gotta stay firm tho cuz they will always try to pull you back

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Getting out at 11-midnight every weekend only to be there at 9 the next morning for breakfast is the worst. It doesn't help that my MoD on duty is super leery about cutting so my shift lead practically has to fistfight her to cut.

The money is great though.

This is the life I chose.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
A reminder: if you can do absolutely anything else for a living wage, consider doing I️t. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going back to my regularly scheduled nothing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Veterans love them some breakfast.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

A reminder: if you can do absolutely anything else for a living wage, consider doing I️t. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going back to my regularly scheduled nothing.

Republicans posted:

Veterans love them some breakfast.

I had nothing but a table of regulars for two hours today because the city's Veteran's Day parade closed the street in front of us. :suicide: At least I had entertainment though!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bussamove posted:

I had nothing but a table of regulars for two hours today because the city's Veteran's Day parade closed the street in front of us. :suicide: At least I had entertainment though!

You didn't get any of the parade crowd? A sister restaurant of ours is on a parade route and got slammed hard.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I thought we would too but it was pouring down rain so I guess no one wanted to brave even driving out!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Unpacked about 20,000 pieces of china yesterday, all Tafelstern straight from Germany, my plates are goddamn beautiful.

About half the walk ins are up and running, hoods are being finished up, gas should be turned on in a few weeks, all equipment is installed, minus the floor mixers and other medium/large things that we don't know where want to put yet.

Just need these loving contractors to work more than 9a-4p every day and we could loving open already :v

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Unpacked about 20,000 pieces of china yesterday, all Tafelstern straight from Germany, my plates are goddamn beautiful.

About half the walk ins are up and running, hoods are being finished up, gas should be turned on in a few weeks, all equipment is installed, minus the floor mixers and other medium/large things that we don't know where want to put yet.

Just need these loving contractors to work more than 9a-4p every day and we could loving open already :v

Please send us pics or something man!

Or brisket. You decide.

(actually just send the brisket)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

iospace posted:

Please send us pics or something man!

Or brisket. You decide.

(actually just send the brisket)

Yeah, where's my invite to the soft opening/tasting?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

In the same package with the brisket, the delicious, delicious brisket, none of us is getting.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Republicans posted:

You didn't get any of the parade crowd? A sister restaurant of ours is on a parade route and got slammed hard.

My breakfast place is on the route for next Saturday's Xmas parade :suicide: I hate the industry

In happier holiday news, the date for our Xmas party was announced. Our sister store is a BBQ/bar joint, so it's gonna be free brisket and beer all night. :toot: I love the industry

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You know what's frustrating?

A cook who has been here a month still asking "how many X goes with Y" on a common order.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Question. Is doing brewery work and working the taproom among BoH duties, and doing beer deliveries considered industry?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question. Is doing brewery work and working the taproom among BoH duties, and doing beer deliveries considered industry?

A couple weeks back I had chef de cuisine dicklips bail on us 30 minutes before a capacity service that went for five hours of weeds because in his words "I need a haircut" and he's technically industry, so I'm inclined to give it to ya if it makes you feel better because nothing is real or matters.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Lol, don't even actually know the open date yet, because these contractors and the city are slowing things down so hard. Should've opened in Sept, but people living in condos nearby bitched, and construction has to cease by 8pm every day. So I think we're looking at late December open. Kitchens and restaurants are 90% done, it's the rooms that are taking forever.

I'll take some pics of my banquet kitchen next time I'm over there, training staff out of a small test kitchen until open, so everyone knows recipes, techniques, etc.

The goal is to be equivalent to a 1 Michelin restaurant in all of our outlets, and our brand has quite a few stars as it is, so the pressure's on.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Willie Tomg posted:

A couple weeks back I had chef de cuisine dicklips bail on us 30 minutes before a capacity service that went for five hours of weeds because in his words "I need a haircut" and he's technically industry, so I'm inclined to give it to ya if it makes you feel better because nothing is real or matters.

Worst one for me was running an incredibly busy nightclub and having a bartender show up and quit on the spot just before his shift because he developed a drug problem and blamed the bar. This was on NYE.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Let me just say how awesome it is to have approx 6 weeks of nothing but training before we even move people into their respective stations. And they're mostly all blank slates with no bad habits!(or skills, but we've got time to develop that)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

You get some funny orders from UberEats when all the additions you can make to a sandwich are right in front of you and a tap away. Tonight someone ordered a reuben with cheddar, pepper jack and blue cheeses (along with the included swiss), bacon and avocado.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've gotten cheese fries and a soda on uber eats once (as an order someone else placed)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Republicans posted:

You get some funny orders from UberEats when all the additions you can make to a sandwich are right in front of you and a tap away. Tonight someone ordered a reuben with cheddar, pepper jack and blue cheeses (along with the included swiss), bacon and avocado.

But, that's NOT a Reuben. That's...that's a corned beef with a bunch of other crap on it....

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

As long as you bring merch and samples and include the chefs, we'll like you enough to consider you BOH.

Nothing pisses me off more than a beer rep that comes in and buys rounds for the bar staff every week and never even says hi to me then one day walks into the kitchen and is all "HEY MAN HOW COME WE'VE NEVER TALKED ABOUT DOING A BEER PAIRING DINNER?!?!"

Huh, maybe it's because you treat me and my staff like I don't exist because I'm not the one actively pouring your beer. gently caress you. I've got four pairing dinners lined up in the next two months with people I don't hate.

This was a guy that bought an after-shift round for the entire FOH one day, including people who weren't there yet, while standing right beside me (while I did office work in my chef jacket at the bar), and when the bartender taking the money said "Hey, maybe you should buy one for the chef and the cook working tonight too" he just kinda shrugged and didn't say anything. gently caress that guy. Don't be that guy.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Restaurant Industry Thread:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:suicide: I hate the industry
:toot: I love the industry

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The moments where you handle a busy shift and don't get in the weeds are amazing, I will say that

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the only part of FoH work I ever liked was counting tips and leaving on time for the day.

e: and the walk home too

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I'm on site tomorrow, unpacking the hobarts, and chewing out the contractors for using my goddamn conveyor tables as work tables, so I'll take some pics of my kitchen.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
What up industry thread. I've been reading your posts for a few years now as I've grinded my way through a couple of kitchens. I just passed my third year at my current job, and after my good buddy, who was one of my sous chefs, finally hit his personal wall with the job and walked out, I've made Sous and am currently grappling with the second week of the first management job I've had in my life and the fallout of having a manager disappear .

poo poo's hosed, lots of emotions, but I'm loving it, and it's pretty cool that after six or so years this poo poo is turning into a pretty cool career.

Cryptozoology fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cryptozoology posted:

What up industry thread. I've been reading your posts for a few years now as I've grinded my way through a couple of kitchens. I just passed my third year at my current job, and after my good buddy, who was one of my sous chefs, finally hit his personal wall with the job and walked out, I've made Sous and am currently grappling with the second week of the first management job I've had in my life and the fallout of having a manager disappear .

poo poo's hosed, lots of emotions, but I'm loving it, and it's pretty cool that after six or so years this poo poo is turning into a pretty cool career.

Try to learn from your buddy and avoid hitting that point. Burning out and losing your poo poo doesn't have to be a career milestone.