Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Solice Kirsk posted:

If we're talking misogynistic songs, then can we at least include the best one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYTLJ8YHi4

Still my favorite Rolling Stones song though.

I was expecting "Some Girls".

Here's the take on "Money for Nothing", btw, including quoted form Knopfler.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1091

edit:

a music thread like this one in No Music Discussion might be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

funmanguy posted:

Good point.

That reminds me of the hubbub surrounding eminem using the word human being like 11 times on an album and lots of people being up in arms about it.

There was a period from like the mid 90s-early 2000s were a lot of rappers were violently homophobic but also saturated their lyrics and album skits in the gayest material possible, it was weird

I would have actually thought Biggie was gay if I hadn’t known him from anything but his lyrics

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They made Eminem do a duet with Elton John after he reached the homophobic comment threshold, which effectively cost Dido a gig.

I think I may have heard a radio edit of Apache's Gangsta Bitch at some point. Maybe. Just thinking about it logically, they'd have to censor like 2/3rds of the song.

Edit: nope it exists, the legends were true.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Jeanny by Falco is creepy as hell, but quite a popular song. I guess the meaning goes over most people's heads as the creepy part is in German. It's supposed to be about the mindset of a stalker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urw-iutHw5E

http://lyricstranslate.com/en/jeanny-jeanny.html-0

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Every Breath You Take is also very intentionally creepy or as Sting puts it "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite.".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FreudianSlippers posted:

Every Breath You Take is also very intentionally creepy or as Sting puts it "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite.".

He finally gave up trying to explain this and said if people think it's a love song, so be it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's funny, most of the Police's lyrics are pretty drat downbeat if you listen to them. Like, even "Walking on the Moon", about feeling lighter than air after a good date has anxiety riddled lines about hoping they don't break their neck from it. And that's like, their most upbeat messaged song. Hell, "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" is about a goon type who is crushing hard on a girl, fantasizing about like, marrying her and stuff, but is so sadbrains he can't even say hello to the girl he's maaaaaybe stalking?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Goddamit! Well, how about this one:
I genuinely think this is one of the catchier Beatles songs and I hate that it's also creepy as gently caress.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Johnny Cash's Cocaine Blues is good because of all the convicts cheering about murdering a woman on the live album.

I'm not sure which album you're referring to but if it was Folsom Prison they actually had to dub in crowd noises because the inmates we're very polite in fear of being punished or ejected.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

I'm not sure which album you're referring to but if it was Folsom Prison they actually had to dub in crowd noises because the inmates we're very polite in fear of being punished or ejected.

Seriously, this is like being told there's no Santa Claus.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along the lines of things that didn't age well from television and music: Are really long videos still a thing even on the near endless airplay of a Youtube video or have audiences more or less given up on wanting the epic mini-movie videos that were so popular in the 90s and early 00s?

Most recent I can think of is in 2011 the Beastie Boys did a half hour video called Fight For Your Right (Revisited) that had a ton of cameos. A shorter version of that was the video for Make Some Noise.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Kanye West made a 35min long movie that consisted of music videos for one of his albums. The movie itself is not very good but the videos are pretty good.
Florence and the Machine's Odyssey chapter videos, and just Lady Gaga in general.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

Most recent I can think of is in 2011 the Beastie Boys did a half hour video called Fight For Your Right (Revisited) that had a ton of cameos. A shorter version of that was the video for Make Some Noise.

A particularly meta example, since a lot of that is about how badly the beastie boys would have aged if they kept doing the same thing for 30 years.

It's a pretty fantastic short, too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I genuinely think this is one of the catchier Beatles songs and I hate that it's also creepy as gently caress.

John Lennon also hated it, after he went full woke.

Beatallica kinda redeems it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR3NGz3sCps

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Kingdom posted:

He finally gave up trying to explain this and said if people think it's a love song, so be it.

People apparently quite often play Colin Hay's Waiting For My Real Life To Begin at weddings, which he's said he finds pretty weird.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'E-mail my heart' makes me think of the Jimmy Buffet song which is specifically singing about his ineptitude with technology. Kinda funny given a lot of the things he references in that song were huge at the time and are forgotten now.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
But a change in style or singer can change the feel or direction of a song.

Consider a female vocalist covers of "Run For Your Life" which removes a misogynist direction as a result of it being sung by a woman and about a man. It feels more like coming from a narrators who are telling the guy, "You cheat on me, we're over." along the lines of a "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmxZ2jvU4R0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEz3BsZ2z8

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I enjoy gender swapped "Baby it's cold outside"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JediTalentAgent posted:

But a change in style or singer can change the feel or direction of a song.

Consider a female vocalist covers of "Run For Your Life" which removes a misogynist direction as a result of it being sung by a woman and about a man. It feels more like coming from a narrators who are telling the guy, "You cheat on me, we're over." along the lines of a "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"
Even more than the genders of the singers I think it's just the words "little girl". It's always really creepy when a man refers to a grown woman as "little girl". Change that to something else and even with a man singing it I don't think it would sound nearly so bad.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e01J3Hz9yoo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tiggum posted:

Even more than the genders of the singers I think it's just the words "little girl". It's always really creepy when a man refers to a grown woman as "little girl". Change that to something else and even with a man singing it I don't think it would sound nearly so bad.

Well if you want to go down that rabbit hole, surely "baby" would have to be even creepier.

The somewhat disturbing fact is that 99% of our terms of endearment make us out to be either pedophiles or cannibals for whatever reason.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sir Lemming posted:

Well if you want to go down that rabbit hole, surely "baby" would have to be even creepier.

The somewhat disturbing fact is that 99% of our terms of endearment make us out to be either pedophiles or cannibals for whatever reason.

Baby has gotten somewhat normalised, so I think little girl sounds much creepier. It's got Big Bad Wolf vibes.

I like to use random nouns. Every so often there's one that goes over badly*, but it's all part of the fun.
*teacup pig

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

Kanye West made a 35min long movie that consisted of music videos for one of his albums. The movie itself is not very good but the videos are pretty good.
Florence and the Machine's Odyssey chapter videos, and just Lady Gaga in general.

I watched the Odyssey again recently and it's so good.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Mister Kingdom posted:

That genre survived into the 70s with "Run Joey Run". Abusive father, dead daughter. I give it points for being waaaaay over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT2LGv-s3xQ

A B-side, but in the same style:

R Dean Taylor's "Back Street" - Guy's girlfriend gets pregnant by another guy. He dumps her. Her family disowns her. Her friends abandon her. She has the baby and has to become a prostitute to feed her baby. One night, she has had enough. Leaves the baby at the former boyfriend's house and is found dead in the street the next morning. Merry Christmas, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91jHsCfkXxU
Also now out of date, the Supremes' Love Child

quote:

You think that I don't feel love
But what I feel for you is real love
In other's eyes I see reflected
A hurt, scorned, rejected

Love child, never meant to be
Love child, born in poverty
Love child, take a look at me

I started my life in an old, cold run down tenement slum
My father left, he never even married mom
I shared the guilt my mama knew
So afraid that others knew I had no name

This love we're contemplating
Is worth the pain of waiting
We'll only end up hating
The child we maybe creating

Love child, (scorned by) society
Love child, always second best
Love child, different from the rest

Mm, baby (hold on, hold on, just a little bit)
Mm, baby (hold on, hold on, just a little bit)
I started school, in a worn, torn dress that somebody threw out
I knew the way it felt, to always live in doubt
To be without the simple things
Sop afraid my friends would see the guilt in me

Don't think that I don't need you
Don't think I don't wanna please you
No child of mine 'll be bearing
The name of shame I've been wearing

Love child, love child, never quite as good
Afraid, ashamed, misunderstood

Beachcomber posted:

Hey

Nureyev wasn't much of a singer, but his dancing on that episode is great (he also launched the Muppet Show into real popularity because he insisted on being on the show after seeing an episode, and he was a major, major star at the time).

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Going back to the 50's, we all know Jerry Lee Lewis's Great Balls of Fire. It's one of early rock and roll's biggest hits. It's also about how much he wants to gently caress his 14 year old niece.

It's cool, though, he wound up marrying her, so at least there's that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gary puckett

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Good old Ray Charles. Great artist, "I Got a Woman" was and is a great song, but then he gets to the verse:

quote:

She's there to love me
Both day and night
Never grumbles or fusses
Always treats me right
Never runnin' in the streets
Leavin' me alone
She knows a woman's place
Is right there, now, in her home

Although in his defence, he probably couldn't see what the problem was.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Beachcomber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDLpz88V-I

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Good old Ray Charles. Great artist, "I Got a Woman" was and is a great song, but then he gets to the verse:

Although in his defence, he probably couldn't see what the problem was.

I mean if I was a blind dude I’d probably be exceptionally weird and emotional about being left alone too to be fair. Although he was probably used to that by then

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

While we're on the subject of completely inappropriate songs, who else remembers this one-hit wonder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9TXjIadhq0

Lyrics:

Benny Mardones posted:

She's just sixteen years old
Leave her alone, they say
Separated by fools
Who don't know what love is yet
But I want you to know
If I could fly
I'd pick you up
I'd take you into the night
And show you a love
Like you've never seen - ever seen.
It's like having a dream
Where nobody has a heart
It's like having it all
And watching it fall apart
And I would wait till the end of time for you
And do it again, it's true
I can't measure my love
There's nothing to compare it to
But I want you to know
If I could fly
I'd pick you up
I'd take you into the night
And show you a love
Like you've never seen - ever seen

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

I watched the Odyssey again recently and it's so good.

Yeah it's stunning. Florence is so delightfully Kate Bushy in it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

Smash the patriarchy!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

While we're on the subject of completely inappropriate songs, who else remembers this one-hit wonder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9TXjIadhq0

Lyrics:

The scary part is that it hit the Top 20. Twice.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The podcast Beyond Yacht Rock did an entire episode about songs about loving teenagers. It's amazing how many there are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mojo1701a posted:

The podcast Beyond Yacht Rock did an entire episode about songs about loving teenagers. It's amazing how many there are.

That's because pop music is for a) teenagers, and b) people who can't accept that they're no longer teenagers.

This leads me to c). Have you noticed that a ridiculous percentage rock music is about teenage angst and/or being a rock star, often on the road? Well that's because many of the people who write it have no life experience other than being an angsty teenager, and they spend lots of time being a musician on the road, often dreaming about stardom.

In other words it's all a gigantic circle jerk.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Steel Panther is all too self-aware about that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I was watching the Season 6 Christmas episode of The Office, and Michael demeaningly refers to Phyllis-dressed-as-Santa as "Tranny Clause"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CommonShore posted:

That's because pop music is for a) teenagers, and b) people who can't accept that they're no longer teenagers.

This leads me to c). Have you noticed that a ridiculous percentage rock music is about teenage angst and/or being a rock star, often on the road? Well that's because many of the people who write it have no life experience other than being an angsty teenager, and they spend lots of time being a musician on the road, often dreaming about stardom.

In other words it's all a gigantic circle jerk.

on the other hand, that's what Roundabout is about, and Roundabout is a fantastic song

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was always skeeved out by My Sharona, since the dude is saying he "always gets it up for the touch of the younger kind". Just looked it up, and at the time, the real-life Sharona was 16-17, and Doug Fieger was nearly a decade older than her. Not as drastic as some of the examples, but ishkabibble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ted Nugent had a song called "Jailbait".

This should be all I need to say, but here's the lyrics for the last verse:

quote:

Well I don't care if you're just thirteen
You look too good to be true
I just know that you're probably clean
There's one lil' thing I got do to you

Oh dear.