Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
<wipes off the dust, turns the big lever>

We’re back! Apparently Chibnall is going to have everything on super lockdown under his watch, so spoilers might not leak out like previous years. He’s already asked for this pic of Jodie in Peter’s costume to be taken down, but it was thankfully saved before deletion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Whittaker actually rocks that Capaldi costume, to be honest. I like her new costume too, but I wouldn't mind if she kept Capaldi's wardrobe for an episode or two.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Chibnall messes this up i'm going to have a field day making GBS threads on him like the olden days of RTD, boyo.

Oh wait, capri pants.

There's mess#1.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
please be good

Please don't be poo poo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, the Radio Times for the week after next is going to have a big cover story on the new series and a summary of some of it has been leaked. Or allegedly leaked. Obviously I'd be skeptical, but, anyway:

quote:

As has been long rumoured the series will be fully serialised telling one (main) story. What hadn't been mentioned before is that Chibnall will be writing the lot, which is the main reason why it's only ten episodes. The plan is to bring back other writers for subsequent series and add a couple more episodes back to the length. The BBC will also be heavily promoting this as a brand-new jumping on point, so don't expect any returning characters/enemies/monsters.

The premise is pretty wild as well: in the first episode something will happen that splits the Doctor and TARDIS in three stranding them on Earth in the past (1968), present (2018) and future (2068). The TARDISes won't be able to travel in time but can still travel in space so it won't be entirely Earthbound. And while there are three Companions each Doctor will only have one, which explains how Bradley Walsh is able to do this while still carrying on with his other work.

The main narrative thrust for the series will be the Doctor(s) trying to put themselves back together again; each of them will have a distinct personality and they are able to communicate, so we get a multi-Doctor experience with only one Doctor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That's either a fantastic premise or an absolute mess and I can't wait to find out which.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That

Okay sure okay fine okay sure

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So it's a bit like Jubilee.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh sweet. Ten extra-long episodes all written solely by Chris Chibnall. I cannot wait.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm hoping for a giant train wreck that'll at least be entertaining. Hopefully Jodie won't be the third straight Doctor wasted on terrible scripts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Timby posted:

So, the Radio Times for the week after next is going to have a big cover story on the new series and a summary of some of it has been leaked. Or allegedly leaked. Obviously I'd be skeptical, but, anyway:

Sounds interesting, although I assume they'll have the Chron--O-John fixed for the Christmas special.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

Oh sweet. Ten extra-long episodes all written solely by Chris Chibnall. I cannot wait.

quote:

The main narrative thrust for the series will be the Doctor(s) trying to put themselves back together again; each of them will have a distinct personality and they are able to communicate, so we get a multi-Doctor experience with only one Doctor.

This seems like a horrible idea. We have a new Doctor and the first season is always dicey as the actor, writers and us try to figure out this new Doctor's personality.

So instead we will have 3 different new personalities, none of which may be the "actual" Doctor as she will end up. Not a great introduction.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Episode 10 will end with a 1-800 number to call in and vote for your favorite personality. The contest results will be widely invalidated when it's discovered that one man called the number 900 times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Episode 10 will end with a 1-800 number to call in and vote for your favorite personality. The contest results will be widely invalidated when it's discovered that one man called the number 900 times.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Ah! A new thread!

I don't like it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Look, if one section is in 1968 there’d better be a reference to The Invasion and an attempt to fix UNIT dating. :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, if that's true, it's certainly ambitious. :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I do wonder if we’ll get three different variations on the outfit if that’s true.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That... doesn't sound very credible to me. But we'll see. I'll probably be proven wrong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That... doesn't sound very credible to me. But we'll see. I'll probably be proven wrong.

This was my initial thought, but I've always been wrong again I say it, so I've made an effort not to anymore.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Clip from the X-Mas special:

https://twitter.com/BBCCiN/status/931609236769067011

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay ignoring that the music is kind of annoying

That's not how the First Doctor would react to seeing a future version of himself.

He'd immediately be jumping down Capaldi's throat about how his hair was and the clothes he was wearing and his eyebrows.

For the love of Christ we KNOW how the First Doctor responds to future iterations of himself- casual insulting dismissal!

"So you two are my replacements are you? A dandy and a clown!"

is one of my favorite lines in all of Doctor Who.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Side note: Capaldi is older than Hartnell was when he left the programme (which is a massive 17 years younger than David Bradley is now)

Other side note: I agree with Burkion, it's not very well characterised

Dabir posted:

So it's a bit like Jubilee.

City of Death

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's important to judge it in full context, but it does feel a bit off in that clip.

Moffat's written similar scenes twice before (Time Crash and DOTD), which work quite well together. It just seems a bit awkward here. (I've got to rush off, and mull over it for a bit).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just

Okay let me make this clear. The actor is fine. He's great. He plays the role in a fundamentally different way but, like JaKiri just pointed out, dude is nearly 20 years older than Hartnel was when he took the role. Of course he's going to be a bit slower in delivery.

It's the writing that I'm talking about here. This is not the First Doctor. I don't know WHAT Moffat is going for here, but this is not how the First Doctor acts.

The First Doctor is all about using understated comments to great effect, and while he had a sense of humor it wasn't anything like this.

Honestly given the look of the TARDIS and Capaldi's demeanor, I would imagine the first doctor would compare him to an excited teenager

It's yet another actor being let down by the writing. But

Hopefully it'll get better?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh I can’t hate that at all. I always love inter-Doctor bickering, and this is no exception. :allears:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sneak peek, not peak. Can the BBC not afford a copy editor?

Burkion posted:

This is not the First Doctor. I don't know WHAT Moffat is going for here, but this is not how the First Doctor acts.

The First Doctor is all about using understated comments to great effect, and while he had a sense of humor it wasn't anything like this.

Honestly given the look of the TARDIS and Capaldi's demeanor, I would imagine the first doctor would compare him to an excited teenager

He doesn't giggle enough either.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was fairly funny. I liked "what do you mean, one?"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does the first Doctor ever really refer to his time machine as "the TARDIS"? I remember him usually referring to it as "the ship".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He called it that once or twice, yeah

quote:

DOCTOR: What did you say, my boy? It's all over. It's all over. That's what you said. No, but it isn't all over. It's far from being all over.
BEN: What are you taking about?
DOCTOR: I must get back to the Tardis immediately!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I can’t hate that at all. I always love inter-Doctor bickering, and this is no exception. :allears:

:agreed:

"I AM YOUNGER!!!!!" :allears:

This is gonna be awesome, gently caress the hatas. I could watch 90 minutes of just those two in the TARDIS arguing and comparing notes.

Also for anyone saying the characterization of 1 is off, remember he's himself supposed to be very close to regeneration himself. He's probably in quite A Mood, same as 12.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A few false starts but you get there eventually.

:allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Was "I'd say stop being an idiot but I kinda know what's coming" a dig at 2?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I actually don't mind the writing, but Bradley just doesn't feel like One. He seems to be trying to play vaguely out of it and upset instead of indignant, self-assured and wiley.

There's a way to deliver "I thought I'd be... younger" that carries One's dignified distaste, and instead the direction feels like they're going for "Hartnell's frustrated confusion as he watches the world leave him behind."

I've always been impressed with Bradley as an actor, but I don't think much of him as an impersonator.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 18, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
He's not impersonating Hartnell, and that's for the best. He's playing and older First Doctor on the brink, and I think he does a good job personally.

To be honest, considering the tone of this adventure versus the first time One was a guest, I also think Moffat made the right choice characterization-wise.

A melancholic look at the end of Capaldi's run, the first of a new generation of Doctors, reflected in a melancholic First Doctor, who has to confront the idea of having to leave and isn't quite as self-assured and energetic as before.

P.S. "Replacement" was always a bad word to use IMO. It almost feels like it's breaking the fourth wall and puts too much stress on the idea of the actor changing, rather than the character itself.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

He's playing and older First Doctor on the brink, and I think he does a good job personally.

Yeah, the fact that this is the Doctor, drained after his encounter with the Cybermen and Mondas, right on the edge of regenerating for the first time, accounts for at least some of the "vaguely out of it and upset"ness at least, I think. Though on the other hand, he was fairly indignant right before the point where we're picking up from:

"What did you say, my boy? 'It's all over.' That's what you said. No, but it isn't all over. It's far from being all over!"

I still don't think what we've seen so far is really capturing the spirit of Hartnell's Doctor, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't enjoyed that clip all the same.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

2house2fly posted:

That was fairly funny. I liked "what do you mean, one?"

I think it was meant to be somber rather than funny but y'know, Moffat.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Szmitten posted:

I think it was meant to be somber rather than funny but y'know, Moffat.

Why would you think that? It’s a comedic scene and it’s delivered as comedy. Of course it’s supposed to be funny.

EDIT: I think I’m going to start criticising everything in this way. “Dunkirk? Oh, it’s all very dramatic, but it’s a dreadful romcom.”

cargohills fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 18, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I don’t know, it is a sombre moment (and clearly horror on the soldier’s part), but it quickly gets undercut by comedy.

I can definitely hear some Hartnell’s cheekiness on ‘I thought you’d be younger’. He’s not above a jab like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That line is somber but the Doctor casually revealing the future and just steamrolling past it with "sorry, spoilers" is funny. Apart from the tone I also like that the line parallels Bradley's Doctor, who I can imagine saying "what do you mean the first Doctor?"