Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

No, that was very helpful. I never really get past the spaghetti factory stage in Factorio either.

My problem was I didn't have any cooling whatsoever near the bloomfruit, but it seemed just perfectly temperate right where I planted them. Maybe the lightbulb I planted to keep them happy produced enough heat to tip the scales.

I don't even know how you're supposed to take advantage of plants that only grow in chlorine gas. HVAC suit access only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Speedball posted:

No, that was very helpful. I never really get past the spaghetti factory stage in Factorio either.

My problem was I didn't have any cooling whatsoever near the bloomfruit, but it seemed just perfectly temperate right where I planted them. Maybe the lightbulb I planted to keep them happy produced enough heat to tip the scales.

I don't even know how you're supposed to take advantage of plants that only grow in chlorine gas. HVAC suit access only?

The problem with plants is that they tend to heat or cool the atmosphere around them to a temp that they don't actually like. Bloomfruit basically require artificial cooling for any kind of farming. The only reason I mess with them is because they don't consume their local atmosphere and as soon as you're done setting up a farm you can basically just ignore it. They're a good crop to transition to once you have a little bit of tech.

Chlorine is basically just slightly less heavy co2 that kills germs and conducts heat slightly more readily. It's entirely benign and wont melt your dudes as you stroll through it. I can't really comment on chlorine only plants as I've never really had any use for balm lilys as I generally go way overboard in ensuring my dudes aren't exposed to disease.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 9, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

Water does have weight. I noticed that not only will a large pool of water break through dirt below it, if a large amount of water falls downwards it seems to break a lot more than it normally would.

Yeah, but it doesn't flow down pipe openings on its own.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Klei games are on sale on Steam this weekend, if there's anyone following this thread who's on the fence about the game. Just picked it up for 40% off. Oddly, my wishlist showed it as only 20% off.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Hello Sailor posted:

Klei games are on sale on Steam this weekend, if there's anyone following this thread who's on the fence about the game. Just picked it up for 40% off. Oddly, my wishlist showed it as only 20% off.

I believe that if you own another Klei game you get 40% off your purchase, even though it's listed at 20%. So if you own, say, Don't Starve and pick up Oxygen Not Included you get an additional high five.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What's the save situation like in this game? I'm looking for a survival / building-your-home game, but I don't like games that I can't just go back to a pre-poo poo-got-bad save.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

saving is decent. IIRC, you can manual save to have a fixed point to return to, but there is an autosave feature that saves at the start of each new day.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

enraged_camel posted:

Overall I wish gravity could be used to move water into water-using stuff. For example if there is a poor of water above your lavatories, I'd like it to be able to flow into the lavatory without the need for a liquid pump.

Of course then you run into the problem of (assuming that a replicant is around five feet tall) tens of tons of pressure going into the plumbing of the toilet. Works fine until someone flushes and the entire toilet explodes

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
This game is extremely good.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Why the hell do the duplicants prioritize absolutely everything over feeding the generators? We have one whose sole job is delivery, and she'll stubbornly run around moving sandstone from place to place or something similarly stupid all loving day, rather than putting coal in the generator that's powering half the base. We've tried tinkering with the priority system, with no luck. How do we make our lovely space people not die in the dark :psyduck:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Angry Diplomat posted:

Why the hell do the duplicants prioritize absolutely everything over feeding the generators? We have one whose sole job is delivery, and she'll stubbornly run around moving sandstone from place to place or something similarly stupid all loving day, rather than putting coal in the generator that's powering half the base. We've tried tinkering with the priority system, with no luck. How do we make our lovely space people not die in the dark :psyduck:

Have you set the battery level...thing...to 100%?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Bondematt posted:

Have you set the battery level...thing...to 100%?

Yeah, and these idiots keep walking past the damned generators to do other stuff until the batteries are totally depleted.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think you can prioritize the generator itself. I remember there being a slider on it (not the percentage slider but the 1-10 slider).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah, it's the 1-9 buttons on the bottom in the lower right. I set all the things that are important to 6 and all the things that are critical to 7. It's also good for making sure your cook fries all that mush before making more mush.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

We did that! Moot point now, anyway; an untimely gas leak and a Dwarf Fortress-style tantrum spiral led to a food shortage and everybody died. :perfect:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
speaking of food shortage, I wonder if they fixed binge eating to sensibly end instead of systematically consuming all available food up to and including 200k+ emergency food stores

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wait is that how binge eating works (or used to work)? Holy poo poo. Guess we won't be printing those guys anymore.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So I made a self sustaining O2 gen that's pretty efficient.

Buffer gates are essential to making these, since you lose a significant amount of hydrogen when the generator turns on and off, so you want the run time to be worth it. I use 800g as the start pressure and a 10 second buffer. Oxygen and Hydrogen are separated by the layout and there's always a hydrogen square touching the electrolyzer so you never get the hydrogen loss from it not having a place to go to.

The oxygen pumps are always on, the output varies between 1500g and 2000g a second of oxygen and it survives the pipes backing up. You can forgo the fourth oxygen pump and get 1500g/s sustained and smaller footprint.

All the machinery needs to be built with gold, but the temp tops out around 70c. Surround it with abyssalyte and use you favorite method to cool the oxygen.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 19, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I haven't played since the ag update. Germs turned me off but they are nerfed now. Where do I begin? What do people have by cycle 20-50-100?

edit: Is Strength trainable now?

temple fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 24, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does anyone have tips on how to manage heat? I keep having issues where I don't tech into AC units fast enough and my farms eventually hit the 30C barrier for growth, but hydrofans don't seem to actually do all that much.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone have tips on how to manage heat? I keep having issues where I don't tech into AC units fast enough and my farms eventually hit the 30C barrier for growth, but hydrofans don't seem to actually do all that much.

Isolate your farms from the rest of your base.

They don't need any oxygen to grow so I just make sure there's no chlorine and that's pretty much it.

Edit: I usually use wheezeworts to cool, since they do it passively. Hydrofans work pretty well, but they need to be constantly running .

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 25, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bondematt posted:

Isolate your farms from the rest of your base.

They don't need any oxygen to grow so I just make sure there's no chlorine and that's pretty much it.

Edit: I usually use wheezeworts to cool, since they do it passively. Hydrofans work pretty well, but they need to be constantly running .

Okay, I'll give that a shot. I've been trying to spread my base out more rather than having it tightly compacted but with the time it takes for pawns to run it makes it hard to get anything done.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a way to mark storage containers to never/only accept germ infested items? I know you can empty germ items but I'd rather they never go in there in the first place.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 25, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a way to mark storage containers to never/only accept germ infested items? I know you can empty germ items but I'd rather they never go in there in the first place.
That's not their behavior. You have to figure out a way to solve the problem.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The biggest thing is picking an area cool enough to bear some change in temp. There are a couple of ways to insulate farm temp. Keep dupes from going into the farm area. Place the farm in a gas like CO2 (if the plant can tolerate it) to reduce heat transfers. People used to place their farm in the CO2 sink of their base for that reason. Like you noticed, heat is a function of time, its more about how long do you want to sustain that temp instead of a permanent solution. Temperature control is probably the last factor you can control out of other concerns.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
On the subject of temperature control, how do people handle long-term water use? I've figured out how to build a sluice system for long-term renewable water, but since the only way to get sustainable water is from a steam geyser, this obviously leads to a poo poo ton of heat buildup in my base, especially from my electrolyzers. I tried using a liquid attuner but it started overheating the second I turned it on. I built an elaborate system for piping hydrogen through a frozen biome then into my reservoir, but all that managed to do was change the temperature of the hydrogen back and forth.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

ZiegeDame posted:

On the subject of temperature control, how do people handle long-term water use? I've figured out how to build a sluice system for long-term renewable water, but since the only way to get sustainable water is from a steam geyser, this obviously leads to a poo poo ton of heat buildup in my base, especially from my electrolyzers. I tried using a liquid attuner but it started overheating the second I turned it on. I built an elaborate system for piping hydrogen through a frozen biome then into my reservoir, but all that managed to do was change the temperature of the hydrogen back and forth.

Insulated abyssalite pipes for the water. Depends on the types of pipes you are using. If you want heat transfer (for hydrogen), don't make insulated pipes and use something like granite.

Electrolyzers should be away from the work/living quarters and make sure the base is insulated for long term heat consistently.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Put the aquatuner in an insulated room by itself and either plant a couple wheezeworts around it or run a heatsink through the room in a similar style to Dusty Lens' farm setup on the previous page.

Alternatively make sure you're using the right pipes for carrying the hydrogen. You need to use abyssalite for running it through areas you don't want to cool (ie: the distance from the cold biome to your water) and then switch to a pipe that radiates into the environment like granite once you hit whatever it is you want to cool.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sydin posted:

Put the aquatuner in an insulated room by itself and either plant a couple wheezeworts around it or run a heatsink through the room in a similar style to Dusty Lens' farm setup on the previous page.

Alternatively make sure you're using the right pipes for carrying the hydrogen. You need to use abyssalite for running it through areas you don't want to cool (ie: the distance from the cold biome to your water) and then switch to a pipe that radiates into the environment like granite once you hit whatever it is you want to cool.

I did do that, Abyssalite outside, Igneous rock in the places I wanted heat exchanged. It's possible I just didn't have sufficient volume of Hydrogen to cool the amount of water.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
One thing i didn't realize until i had started investigating heat is that the objects themselves radiate if they store water internally. Your showers and lavatory are going to be heating the surrounding area even with abyssalite pipes. Same with pumping hot water to hydroponic tiles and Even though electrolyzers normalize 80C water, 40C is still really hot air to pump directly into your base and will wilt your blossoms unless they are separated.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bhodi posted:

One thing i didn't realize until i had started investigating heat is that the objects themselves radiate if they store water internally. Your showers and lavatory are going to be heating the surrounding area even with abyssalite pipes. Same with pumping hot water to hydroponic tiles and Even though electrolyzers normalize 80C water, 40C is still really hot air to pump directly into your base and will wilt your blossoms unless they are separated.

Makes sense, who wants to be peeing into 90C water.

It took me a while to cop to the "items retain water" thing too since it isn't actually shown on the interface outside of the tooltip; I had a completely nonfunctioning Reed garden because I accidentally hit them with water and not polluted water the first time around.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So..do priorities actually work in this game? I've really only done a couple hours of messing around, but thus far setting priorities on objects has meant largely nothing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yes, they do work.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Makes sense, who wants to be peeing into 90C water.

It took me a while to cop to the "items retain water" thing too since it isn't actually shown on the interface outside of the tooltip; I had a completely nonfunctioning Reed garden because I accidentally hit them with water and not polluted water the first time around.
if they didn't want to shower with 90C water and pee in 90C water they shouldn't have been printed into my asteroid :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of hot water, what's the best way to cool down steam geyser-produced water? I'm running into a problem where my metal refinery boils off its input water before it can finish a refining job, so all it's doing is wasting water and blowing up pipes. My first plan was to loop the water through an aquatuner or two, but then I noticed that aquatuners have a 1.2kW power draw each and even with my fancy natural gas setup I'm only producing 4kW for the entire grid. Would a hydrogen-based radiator system be able to cool that much water? Or should I just bite the bullet and spool up 3-4kW of coal production and install some aquatuners?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Sydin posted:

Speaking of hot water, what's the best way to cool down steam geyser-produced water? I'm running into a problem where my metal refinery boils off its input water before it can finish a refining job, so all it's doing is wasting water and blowing up pipes. My first plan was to loop the water through an aquatuner or two, but then I noticed that aquatuners have a 1.2kW power draw each and even with my fancy natural gas setup I'm only producing 4kW for the entire grid. Would a hydrogen-based radiator system be able to cool that much water? Or should I just bite the bullet and spool up 3-4kW of coal production and install some aquatuners?

If you use insulated/abyssalite pipes, do you need to cool water? I'm out of the loop but plants and machines used to "destroy" heat when given water.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

temple posted:

If you use insulated/abyssalite pipes, do you need to cool water?

Yes, boiling water breaks any pipe as far as I can tell.

How much does the refinery heat up the water? Can you get away with just one aquatuner with geyser temp water?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

temple posted:

If you use insulated/abyssalite pipes, do you need to cool water? I'm out of the loop but plants and machines used to "destroy" heat when given water.

Nope, doesn't help. Even the refinery is made of abyssalite.

Bondematt posted:

Yes, boiling water breaks any pipe as far as I can tell.

How much does the refinery heat up the water? Can you get away with just one aquatuner with geyser temp water?

The water drawn from the spring is about ~55C, so maybe? I've been googling it as well and it may be less that the input water is too hot and more that the automation patch broke refineries and they retain the heat level of the last batch of water stored in them regardless of the temperature of the incoming water, which creates a death spiral to boiling unless you dump the water inside between queued jobs. I'll have to test it to see if dumping the water between jobs helps at all.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So yeah, it looks like it's a bug with the refinery:

Even after the refinery finishes pumping out its waste water, "0kg" of water at the temperature of the ejected waste water remain. If I try to run a second refining job, that non-existent water gets heated up past boiling point, and then blows up the pipes even though there's not really anything there. Even if the starting temperature of the intake water is much colder, that waste water value remains and keeps ticking up with each job until it eventually boils. The only solution I've found is to have a dupe manually empty storage between each job, which removes all water in the refinery. Annoying and tedious, but at least I can refine metal now.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
On the front page, someone described this as a neat little timewaster. Is that still the case, or has the EA progressed to the point of being more like an actual game? Cos it looks like loads of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Deketh posted:

On the front page, someone described this as a neat little timewaster. Is that still the case, or has the EA progressed to the point of being more like an actual game? Cos it looks like loads of fun.

It's been an actual game since the first alpha. The only reason it's early access is because they keep adding major features every month or so and because it's more buggy / crashy than I would expect from a Klei release.