Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jazerus posted:

to me it comes down to, did the episode's tone come off as very creepy and definitely against derulio, or as comedic? i definitely felt that it was more of a horror episode, but if someone felt it was more the latter then i could understand thinking it was a tone-deaf episode

This is a point I made earlier: Nobody gave Derulio a :thumbsup:, and after everything was said and done, they told him to GTFO and not come back. Sometimes TV doesn't have a happy ending, and they just wanted to get rid of the creepy rear end in a top hat now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The fact that it's called "Cupid's Dagger" is probably a hint at the tone of the episode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All I can say is that the last episode was exactly the kind of episode I was afraid would be in The Orville.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe they should have called it "Here's my pheromones, so call me rapey."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

tarlibone posted:

I'm not sure a thread about rape would use the word "rape" in two months as much as this one has in the last week. I feel like the mods should bring out a doll and ask you all to point to where the show bad-touched you.

I like this show a lot, with initial caution that had diminished over time, but the reservations I have shot way up with this one. I'll still be watching, but I hope this is a blip and not a sign of things to come.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Caught up to the most recent episode, and it blooooooooooooows

The XO being the captain's ex-wife is the worst part of the show's premise, and they were doing much better in episodes where that didn't come up.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 13, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Catching up on this show, and it's getting better. The shuttle crash 2 episodes ago looked great and was really well directed. They just don't conclude episodes well. The premises are good, but a lot of them are knockoffs, and the crew never ever has a clever solution.

It really feels like they're trying to do versions/homages of iconic Trek episodes with a twist or pushing them in a funnier direction: "Hey what if a character was going through Pon Farr but instead of making himself super horny it made the rest of the crew super horny? And Ed is in a super critical meeting to avert a war and he just stops and goes "Hey I just met a guy" that would be hilarious!!" but then they can't think of a way to end the episode so they just go "I dunno they use the pheromones to avert a war and save millions of lives so it's also a good thing I guess??"

Also I have a slight suspicion that McFarlane's scripts may have been somewhat edgier and darker to start with but there was pressure from above to pull back on those elements so instead we get these hosed up situations which are handled lightly and the show never really acknowledges how hosed up things really are. Or maybe he self-edits himself - he can't help but write scripts about hosed up stuff but he also wants to make an uplifting nu-Trek homage.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JacksLibido posted:

Phylodox" posted:

We totally do have enough information. Mercer and Grayson were in serious dereliction of duty, to the point of risking open war. Claire abandoned her children, despite the previous episode going in-depth about how much she loved (and would kill someone for) them.

And, again, the characters’ reactions after the fact are immaterial. They’re fictional. Some writer deciding they’re totally okay with being raped doesn’t make it okay. Writing a fictional future society where social mores have changed to the point that rape is okay doesn’t make rape okay! It only shows the writers are skeevy.

That's the entire point of sci-fi like this, to challenge your cultural lenses. What is perfectly normal to us could be a massive taboo or illegal to another culture (see: spanking as a form of child abuse). This show takes things to the extreme end, but that's because it's supposed to be funny.

Just because 21st century western culture would see the pheromones as something akin to a date rape drug, doesn't mean it's unreasonable to believe that another culture wouldn't, and would be confused by Humans being so wierded out by it.

As for you blaming the writers as "skeevy" well that's just you being a closed minded enthocentrist.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: I feel that this whole problem is a result of the show trying to be a wacky parody/sitcom but also tackling thorny moral issues and not really committing itself fully to either end of the equation. Things will inevitably fall through the cracks and some of them will have some pretty ugly connotations that the show skips over because they needed to sidestep into chuckle territory.
I don't see this as a problem. The show shouldn't give you a definitive answer, it should make you think and open up a discussion. This sort of discussion is something you'd see in any basic cultural anthropology class in your local college.

I'd totally agree with you if we were discussing something by Heinlein or Sturgeon (or even Piers Anthony or John Norman :chloe:) but given how hamfisted and clumsy this show handles these themes I really severely doubt the writers sat around a table and went "Right, let's challenge viewers' perceptions on consent this episode!"
If anything they would have gone "Whoa this is touching on some pretty serious topics that might detract from the jokes, how can we pull back on that so the audience doesn't get too distracted by this stuff?"

We can still interpret the show though a cultural anthropology scope and dissect the themes as we have done in this thread but I really doubt that was completely intentional by the show's creators.

Edit: that's not to say that there's not a huge amount of people behind the show putting a ton of focused, intricate work into the minutiae that goes into the other aspects of the production
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xcy51xoppo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HspAjm-Pna8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaVLnWSZY5A

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 13, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Just saw the last episode. It justified all the discussion it's generated. Glad this isn't some dumb temperature derail and actually about something meaningful.

When I watch things I tend to be somewhat uncritical. I was expecting to be annoyed by relationships bullshit, and to my surprise Ed and Kelly were... pretty watchable and the relationship bullshit was quite funny in a lot of scenes so I was more or less on board with the episode.

And then they used the pheromones to coerce the ambassadors. And then my critical thought started up.

And so I really get it when people have trouble with how hosed up this episode was. I enjoyed it. I don't want to feel bad about it. The easiest way to do that is to pretend like there's nothing wrong. That's a really easy argument to make to yourself. You can pick up on any kind of justification that you want and while you're considering that justification things still seem good and you don't want to let that go so of course that justification convinces you.

But this episode featured obvious sexual coercion. People who were very obviously chemically impaired were being taken advantage of for sex. Unambiguously. That's rape.

Consider how the doctor felt about the blob at the start of the episode. Very clear discomfort, to the point of threatening to make a totally justified harassment complaint. After exposure to a chemical she feels compelled to have sex with him. That's not just the affect of someone trying to look nice or any bullshit like that that people have tried to say. That's being drugged.

There's a good argument to be had about how culpable the blob guy was- he was pretty ignorant of the whole situation, but could reasonably have been expected to see there was something wrong with the doctor- but the blue guy knew what he was doing.

The fact that it was "okay in his culture" is not some sci-fi fantasy scenario that excuses his behavior, it's exactly the justification that often leads to real rape. Feeling like your partner is obliged to sleep with you after you bought them dinner is cultural. Feeling like drunken consent is real consent is cultural. He felt his rape was culturally justified and that's incredibly relevant to real discussions of rape.

This episode depicted rape in a very real and relevant way, and while it was not presented as good when the blue guy did it, it was played for laughs, and then actually presented as good when they manipulated the ambassadors.

And the shame is... it was a pretty good and funny episode! I enjoyed it quite a bit at the time without really thinking it through, and I would probably be happier if I just didn't worry about it.

But it handled its depiction of sexual coercion really badly, and there's no way to deny that.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I'm struggling to articulate this properly. Different definitions of consent are being proposed in this thread but I think the two big ones are reducible to a rational negotiation brokered between two monads, and an agreement premised on the assumption that both parties are perfectly transparent and forthcoming. I think both are extremely problematic and unworkable.

On the other hand, I'm happy to read that cultural relativism is no longer en vogue, at least among TVIV sci-fi nerds.

On another note, was there any indication that Derulio was seeking Mercer's attention? Did Mercer rape Derulio when he put Derulio in a (socially conditioned) position to be unable to decline sex?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm always happy to find that another corner of SA has realized how much of a blazing idiot MisterBibs is and realized not to engage him ever. Episode success!

Caros
May 14, 2008

just another posted:

I'm struggling to articulate this properly. Different definitions of consent are being proposed in this thread but I think the two big ones are reducible to a rational negotiation brokered between two monads, and an agreement premised on the assumption that both parties are perfectly transparent and forthcoming. I think both are extremely problematic and unworkable.

On the other hand, I'm happy to read that cultural relativism is no longer en vogue, at least among TVIV sci-fi nerds.

On another note, was there any indication that Derulio was seeking Mercer's attention? Did Mercer rape Derulio when he put Derulio in a (socially conditioned) position to be unable to decline sex?

Consent isn't hard. If someone would normally refuse to even consider the idea of tea, but wants to drink pot after pot of it solely because they have been exposed to a mind-altering substance that makes them crave tea, you should not serve them tea. They are not able to consent to having tea.

Also, I'm fine with cultural relativism in general. The issue in this context is that Derulio is doing his thing on a Union ship. They refused to 'fix' the baby girl because she was their responsibility, so it actually feels weird that they shrug off rapey Rob Lowe without a thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Nii5w2FaI

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Because it's Rob Lowe.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, if the Smufs started bottling and selling their pheromones, they'd make a fortune.

McSpanky posted:

I'm always happy to find that another corner of SA has realized how much of a blazing idiot MisterBibs is and realized not to engage him ever. Episode success!

Someone find the clip of the guys from RedLetterMedia telling MisterBibs he's an idiot

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Accretionist posted:

I wouldn't go that far. You'd be on the receiving end of it quite a bit, too, which breaks symmetry with the 'power fantasy' angle.

This is where it breaks down though, because who would be willing to do that for literally anyone who asks - those one is not attracted to, nonpreferred genders, or just feeling ill/not in the mood etc.? At that point you're no more than a communal sex robot and the only possible agency you could exert is to make yourself as sexually unappealing as possible, which most everyone else will also be doing after the initial period of "this is awesome" wears off and reality sets in.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This is where it breaks down though, because who would be willing to do that for literally anyone who asks

Yeah that would be really....alien

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

This is where it breaks down though, because who would be willing to do that for literally anyone who asks - those one is not attracted to, nonpreferred genders, or just feeling ill/not in the mood etc.? At that point you're no more than a communal sex robot and the only possible agency you could exert is to make yourself as sexually unappealing as possible, which most everyone else will also be doing after the initial period of "this is awesome" wears off and reality sets in.

If you're a member of a species that gives off sex pheromones once a year that effect everyone, then for that time, you basically are a sex robot. The question of agency goes out the window.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Alright, but getting back to the cultural issue and even leaving out consent, he's knowingly interacting with cultures that aren't like that. I mean let's say I, with my dashing good looks and incredible charisma, go on a trip to e.g. a country with a more traditional Middle Eastern culture, but, following my cultural norms, hook up with some hot babe for a one-night stand. Totally consensual once I convince her this is no big deal in my culture, and she's so enamored of my ripped physique and deep, mesmerizing eyes that she goes along with it.

Then her dad or brother finds out. Now you and I may both think that culture is regressive and way out of line, but I've still done something massively foolish and negligent, and dare I say wrong, because I've endangered her life. So my point is that you can't even fall back on cultural differences. Blue guy was not ignorant of them; he even made it a point in his defense with Ed after he stormed into the lab.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
That would make you an rear end in a top hat but not a criminal, and not her a victim.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sure, but is that even debatable? It seems like it's consensus both in the show and among the viewers that the Rob Lowe character is not a good guy, or that what happened to the Orville characters is ok. Even using the love pheromone on the warring aliens is portrayed as an act of desperation after the original plan to modify the shields and get between the warring fleet fails, because of a side effect of the pheromones.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

just another posted:

That would make you an rear end in a top hat but not a criminal, and not her a victim.

In some cultures I would be stoned to death with her. Add the, at best, muddled issue of consent from this, and she's certainly a victim, in more ways than one. Sorry, there's both the cultural and the consent debates going on and I'm sort of flitting between them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In some cultures I would be stoned to death with her. Add the, at best, muddled issue of consent from this, and she's certainly a victim, in more ways than one. Sorry, there's both the cultural and the consent debates going on and I'm sort of flitting between them.

You guys are ruining TV, work on that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looks like poo poo gets real next episode

https://twitter.com/TheOrville/status/930148283502047232?s=17

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

0:12 issss that ... a heavily edited patrick stewart voice?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

That looked loving cool

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Looks like it's paying homage to/parodying the TNG horror style episodes, looking forward to it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
What I like most about Orville is that it all seems pretty lighthearted like TNG but really, has any episode other than the pilot ended in a happy ending? Aren't they all bummers?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Croatoan posted:

What I like most about Orville is that it all seems pretty lighthearted like TNG but really, has any episode other than the pilot ended in a happy ending? Aren't they all bummers?

I'd say about half the episodes have had happy endings. Consider the alien zoo, turtle-shaped world ship, social media planet, and even shuttle crash episodes. Things generally worked out at least mostly well for the good guys.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Powered Descent posted:

I'd say about half the episodes have had happy endings. Consider the alien zoo, turtle-shaped world ship, social media planet, and even shuttle crash episodes. Things generally worked out at least mostly well for the good guys.

Social media planet's society still sucks, the original away team is dead. The alien zoo still exists. The shuttle crash planet still is zombified because as they said, they "might" get around to saving it one day. I guess "If the Stars Should Appear" had a happy ending. There's just not the Picard looking smug as he taught an entire society the error of their ways ending like TNG. Like I said, it's like TNG but a bummer when you think about it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

Considering his connection to Seth MacFarlane, it wouldn't be a surprise at all to get a cameo.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm not 100% convinced myself but it feels to me like the voice has a similar cadence.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

You guys are ruining TV, work on that.

I'm not the one making shows about rape, but OK.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Croatoan posted:

Social media planet's society still sucks, the original away team is dead. The alien zoo still exists. The shuttle crash planet still is zombified because as they said, they "might" get around to saving it one day. I guess "If the Stars Should Appear" had a happy ending. There's just not the Picard looking smug as he taught an entire society the error of their ways ending like TNG. Like I said, it's like TNG but a bummer when you think about it.

If this were TOS, Kirk would probably go on a big speech telling social media planet why their society is sick then blow up their main computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXQIC9EyPTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmUd0zHW4w

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

If this were TOS, Kirk would probably go on a big speech telling social media planet why their society is sick then blow up their main computer.

We need Kirk today more than ever.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

double nine posted:

If they've cast him as a Q-analogue, it would just be perfect.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
One thing this past episode did, that I think has gone overlooked, is signal, unambiguously, that The Orville is not the right wing counterpart to Discovery.

Actually, its probably the reverse, now that I think about it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

One thing this past episode did, that I think has gone overlooked, is signal, unambiguously, that The Orville is not the right wing counterpart to Discovery.

Actually, its probably the reverse, now that I think about it.

Did anyone ever think it was, they've been pretty accepting of gay/transgender and that potshot about how most advanced species leave religion behind.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Did anyone ever think it was, they've been pretty accepting of gay/transgender and that potshot about how most advanced species leave religion behind.

Not anyone here but there's a contingent of Internet people who were calling Discovery a "SJW Show" because it had the audacity to star a black woman. The fact that the actual content of the Orville didn't fit this narrative was irrelevant to them.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

There was a post detailing how they've basically played both sides of the political line. I don't think this episode changes that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PostNouveau posted:

Ehhhhhhh, I don't get the feeling that's intended. The show doesn't act like anyone is any good at their jobs, but the conclusions are treated like "Aha!" moments. Those moments never really strike me as particularly smart though.

I think the Orville is kind of middle of the road. It has people who are good at their jobs (Doc Finn, Alara, Bortus) while others eeehhhhh (Malloy, LeMarr).