Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: (ex-)criminals, stalkers,
harassers, and so on.

HEEEEE Heeeeee

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Calling a nazi a nazi is doxxing!!! MODS!!!!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Smart Method

Dear Diary, I wrote a blog today!

*Later*

Dear Livejournal, I wrote in my diary today!

*Earlier*

Dear Blog, I'll write in my diary today!

*Eventually*

Dear SA, I've written about writing in my diary which I then subsequently did. You can read about it in my livejournal or on my blog, but nobody gets to see my diary!

Dear Blog update,

Here's a bunch of exclusive never before known stuff about CIG that they were talking about on SA.

*More Eventually*

Dear SA,

Did you read about the latest news from my blog the topic of which you discussed already.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drunk Theory posted:

Dear Blog update,

Here's a bunch of exclusive never before known stuff about CIG that they were talking about on SA.

*More Eventually*

Dear SA,

Did you read about the latest news from my blog the topic of which you discussed already.

:bravo::five::vince:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I'd like to go back in time to tell people that in 2017 the real terrorists are the people with pictures of cats to see what they think.

Maybe all those crazy people babbling about the future on street corners actually are time travelers and we've just been dismissing them due to how outlandish the future sounds. In 2035 everyone wears clothes made out of tin foil and heats their food in their buttholes before eating it.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

EACommunityTeam -310k points

Holy hell, too bad that gamers wont vote with their wallet

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

AutismVaccine posted:

EACommunityTeam -310k points

Holy hell, too bad that gamers wont vote with their wallet

Yeah, sadly the idiots will still buy this POS. It's a real stinker though and i hope the press... oh gently caress it who am i kidding.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

"Our scam isn't a scam because we scammed a lot of money and everyone knows a successful scam isn't a scam!!! Also procgen cities!"

AutismVaccine posted:

e: jesus 158k downvotes, but its doesnt really matter
There's an old EA report on microtransactions and forum posts where they correlate complaining on forums with people pouring more money into their games.

So it matters in reverse!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Haha they're so dumb this is great.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Spiderdrake posted:

"Our scam isn't a scam because we scammed a lot of money and everyone knows a successful scam isn't a scam!!! Also procgen cities!"
There's an old EA report on microtransactions and forum posts where they correlate complaining on forums with people pouring more money into their games.

So it matters in reverse!

Come on, it cant be THAT hosed up?! At this point i dont know whats true anymore. The SC virus is spreading

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Spiderdrake posted:

Didn't even know there was a new Star Wars game so it probably does work out in a lot of cases. No such thing as bad publicity and all.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

In fact the more I think about it, it seems to me that the general opinion of the project over the last year or so, as well as the number of weird errors they made almost daily, has declined dramatically.

The soul of the project has transformed from passion into deceit. Here’s my general take on the transformation:

My opinion on this is that one of the big drama bombs was Sandi, because she actually believed she was literally the smartest person in the room at all times. There are others as well, but she was a Star because of her attitude.

This ultimately lead to her direct confrontation with Beer4TheBeerGod in a CS case, which ultimately resulted in her looking like a fool.

When all this happened, she pulled out of Twitter, pulled out of customer service, and basically pulled out of everything not related to being on camera or hobnobbing with movie stars.

I firmly believe that up to this point, Star Citizen was very personal to her. She was personally invested in its success because she was making tons of money from it, and up to now had fought tooth and nail to make it what it was. During her come to Beer moment though, she realized being made a fool publicly wasn’t worth it anymore, and she had more than enough money to just do what she wanted to do (be an actress), so has since vanished onto the cutting room floor of indie Hollywood movies. She no longer cares about the game because she already is a millionaire.

So why then is there less drama now than there was before? Well, simply put it’s no longer personal for the head people who couldn’t be trusted with themselves. They’ve made their money, and can just keep “doing what they do” and ignore the people bashing it.

They know Star Citizen is not going to become the game promised. So why defend it to the death like it will? No need. Just keep pimping, keep lying, and keep the narrative mostly positive like it’s real and they’ll keep making money until they want to stop the money train.

When this was a Roberts passion project there was plenty of fun to be had. But since it’s transformed into a very blatant cash grab, the passion is gone, the soul is black, and because of that there is really no excitement going on outside of laughing at the latest video of lies. It’s a soulless project now, and it shows on every level.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'd like to go back in time to tell people that in 2017 the real terrorists are the people with pictures of cats to see what they think.

Maybe all those crazy people babbling about the future on street corners actually are time travelers and we've just been dismissing them due to how outlandish the future sounds. In 2035 everyone wears clothes made out of tin foil and heats their food in their buttholes before eating it.

Terrorists

9/11 vs Talking poo poo about a video game

:suicide:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AutismVaccine posted:

Like who is Dereks Crew? Half of us are on ignore and even the moderators give him a tough life. Just because he is spamming this thread up?

I think I've only ever PMed the mods of /r/ds one time, and that was just as a courtesy to let them know I'd be banning their users brigading /refunds :shrug: If I had to guess what Jester was talking about here it'd be the general claims of death threats that float around, not so much any actual death threats reported to the mods or made to the mods. Also, Derek basically hates me, so I feel pretty safe in saying I'm innocent of whatever stupid charges they're leveling against this mysterious "crew" lol

Sarsapariller posted:

I keep trying to imagine what it must be like to be so unable to deal with different viewpoints that you reach the level of r/ds posters but I really can't wrap my head around it. It's a video game, you know? It's okay to just... be wrong, once in a while. Life must be intensely insecure if you can't admit to yourself even for a hot second that you've ever had an incorrect or uninformed opinion about something. You'd spent all your time twisted up in logical knots, doubling down on every last semantic argument in the hopes that anyone pointing out your inconsistency would eventually just get bored and go away.

People like that must be incredibly easy to sidetrack and troll basically forever. All it would take is one person loudly insisting they are wrong, about anything, and then never... going... away...

Huh, I think I just grokked it.

Over the last couple years I've made a big effort to not be the "internet argument guy" as much as possible, and there's no overstating how much it's improved my life. I used to be the guy who couldn't let people be wrong on the internet a lot of the time and it's a little scary how quietly that obsession creeps up on you. You don't even realize how obsessed you are with your weird internet drama of whatever stripe, and next thing you know you're getting out of bed at 3 AM cause some guy replied and told you that actually X does do Y and you can't let it go. Part of it is learning to accept being wrong, part of it is learning to accept other people being wrong, and a big part of it is learning to remember that none of this poo poo matters even a little bit. It's a nice feeling to read a big "Well actually you need to cite blah blah blah" callout post and see it for what it is and realize you can and should just go outside instead. Being able to tell other "internet argument guys" to gently caress off is a great feeling, and I genuinely feel pretty bad for the people who literally can't let it go. I still fall back into old habits now and then when I feel like wasting a couple hours, but the days of absolutely having to have the last word are gone and I'm extremely glad of it.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 13, 2017

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Thats some nice character development Beet, the cantletgo thing is not the worst character trait but imo from a 3rd person it ranges from mildly funny to sad. Well done on identifying it and cutting back

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
who archives the archives of the archives of the archives

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3pprzu/another_one_for_the_archives_boys_dont_miss/

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
what

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

anyone that lets derek smart get under their skin needs a therapist asap

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AutismVaccine posted:

Thats some nice character development Beet, the cantletgo thing is not the worst character trait but imo from a 3rd person it ranges from mildly funny to sad. Well done on identifying it and cutting back

Thanks, commando. It's a good move and one that a lot of people could benefit from IMO. It's one of those little things that you can do that (at least for me) vastly cuts down on the baseline level of stress and anxiety in everyday life, which is strange because like I said it's one of those deals where you don't realize it was a legit problem until you stop doing it. Slightly related, not having any social media owns and I regret all the time I spent looking through stupid newsfeeds like a moron.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/uDNxqeA.gifv

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:lol:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dooguk posted:

You could lower the floor.

I am 6ft 5".

Don't damage the floor joists, though. There's a fun thread where a guy did that in his bathroom

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

So, here's the interesting thing about Lesnick's "joke website". Recently, my local MP was suspended for being a moron and saying poor taste things in his younger years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_O%27Mara

CIG essentially promoted Ben after his, far worse, collection of thoughts were exposed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xaerael posted:

So, here's the interesting thing about Lesnick's "joke website". Recently, my local MP was suspended for being a moron and saying poor taste things in his younger years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_O%27Mara

CIG essentially promoted Ben after his, far worse, collection of thoughts were exposed.

It should be noted that Ben Lesnick posted his website openly on the Star Citizen forums. No searching, perusing, snooping, or other thesaurus-generated word was required by the goooooooons

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And then we laughed about he got jewed in counter-strike

Until he posted on his livejournal and closed it all.

Boy, those 1400+ screenshots of a Philadelphia News Reporter sure isn't creepy or stalker'ish behavior. That sort of creepy attitude is only a thing goons would do! NO, there's no double standard in labelling all goons as criminals when Ben Lesnick clearly is a racist gently caress and therefore that would mean all Star Citizens are racist fucks.

Now let me get back to jacking off to this reporter, I can almost smell the cheese steaks...

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

D_Smart posted:

It's amazing to see /r/ds still in collective meltdown mode. Of course it's the usual rear end-clowns who have used it as hate sub who are the most pissed that their echo chamber hug box is no more. God I hope they migrate to /r/starcitizen - that would be totally awesome :grin:

So they have restricted new submissions, but it looks like you can still post for now.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beet Wagon posted:

Over the last couple years I've made a big effort to not be the "internet argument guy" as much as possible, and there's no overstating how much it's improved my life. I used to be the guy who couldn't let people be wrong on the internet a lot of the time and it's a little scary how quietly that obsession creeps up on you. You don't even realize how obsessed you are with your weird internet drama of whatever stripe, and next thing you know you're getting out of bed at 3 AM cause some guy replied and told you that actually X does do Y and you can't let it go. Part of it is learning to accept being wrong, part of it is learning to accept other people being wrong, and a big part of it is learning to remember that none of this poo poo matters even a little bit. It's a nice feeling to read a big "Well actually you need to cite blah blah blah" callout post and see it for what it is and realize you can and should just go outside instead. Being able to tell other "internet argument guys" to gently caress off is a great feeling, and I genuinely feel pretty bad for the people who literally can't let it go. I still fall back into old habits now and then when I feel like wasting a couple hours, but the days of absolutely having to have the last word are gone and I'm extremely glad of it.

Being able to just let things go is a huge part of growing as a person. It's also incredibly freeing to just be able to realize something isn't worth the effort and drop it.

When someone makes a dumb response to you, and you've already made your point, tossing aside the impulse to respond, and being comfortable with that, is almost zen like.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Quick reminder that this is what CIG encourages him to believe vanquished the Smart menace:

This is sad, but it’s not actually the saddest part of this whole situation.

It’s the fact that there is a multi million dollar, international company, encouraging its customers to go be attack dogs on the internet for it, that is the saddest part.

Imagine if an EA rep contacted you and decided only you can stop RoyBatty666 on a twitter feed from destroying them. It’s the worst and most pathetic “Help us, Obi-Wan! You are our only hope!” ever devised.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Percelus posted:

anyone that lets derek smart get under their skin needs a therapist asap

Yeah really, I figured it was a reverse Daddy long legs spider situation where it's fangs are too small to bite us. Derek's raw output in words is so dense nothing specific should be landing.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It should be noted that Ben Lesnick posted his website openly on the Star Citizen forums. No searching, perusing, snooping, or other thesaurus-generated word was required by the goooooooons

I think he tweeted it. Nobody had to find it. Nobody knew about it until he told everyone about it.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
CIG's next step in making all of the money: earnable achievements, of which a meaningful percentage are contingent on owning a specific ship and doing things in it (fly 100,000 km in an Aurora, shoot down 250 pirates in the 350R, etc.). Oh and if you sell the ship the achievements go away.

Tie achievement score to spectrum flair and hangar goodies and call it a day.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Was there ever any updates on what Ben has been doing with the 10k he raised?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I think a lot of this actually arises from the technology itself. Back in the dinosaur times, a conversation ended when one or more participants got up and walked away. You had some exceptions like public journals and letter-writing groups, and hey it turns out those were kind of notorious for cantankerous shitlords. The internet made every conversation eternal, and public- and then on top of that threw in notifications, so you could find out if somebody responded to you three weeks after the fact and get sucked right back in.

This has had a really negative impact. I've felt it too, same as you- it's hard to walk away first when you really disagree with someone because you feel like you're letting them "Win." But the chances that you're going to reach any kind of understanding are slim to none, and you can't just unilaterally end a conversation anymore. All you can do is accept that your part in it has come to an end and disengage. People can't do that, though, and now we've basically laid out the foundations for every obnoxious and problematic area on reddit.

What alarms me is how many people seem to think the solution is to wall yourself off from conflicting opinions and create spaces where you only engage with people who don't challenge you. Straw man and stereotype your opponents and then all kind of communally take turns whaling on the effigy version. Which is one reason I really appreciate when pro-SC people do come in here, because it reminds us that they're human beings too.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Are CIG still doing those ‘Countdown’ YouTubes, or whatever they’re called?

Are they even stating dates for 3.0 release or am I really out of the loop on this?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

XK posted:

I think he tweeted it. Nobody had to find it. Nobody knew about it until he told everyone about it.

Did both, maybe, but he definitely posted it on the SC forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Was there ever any updates on what Ben has been doing with the 10k he raised?

He spent it on cheesecakes.