Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

"Babbington looked wretchedly from one to the other, licked his lips and said, ' I ate your rat, sir. I am very sorry, and I ask your pardon.'
'Did you so?' said Stephen mildly. 'Well, I hope you enjoyed it. Listen, Jack, will you look at my list, now?'
'He only ate it when it was dead,' said Jack."

"Sure, it would have been a strangely hasty, agitated meal had he eaten it before" said Stephen.

(I'm quoting from memory, how close am I?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

xiansi posted:

And my favourite:

quote:

"Yes, sir. It was about tea, which they did not choose to pay duty on. They called out 'No reproduction without copulation' and tossed it into Boston harbour.'"

The follow up when Jack is talking to Stephen about it, and Stephen says something like "Oh no, the Americans are very in favor of copulation."

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
What's the exchange between Stephen and the lady of the house when the previously-jealous naturalist tells Stephen that he's so indebted to him that he has named a plant after him that then stinks up the room? I remember the scene but not the exchange, and it was one of my favorites.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"Why,' said Stephen, 'it is because they are curtailed of course.” "

--

“...looking angrily at the wombat: and a moment later, 'Come now, Stephen, this is coming it pretty high: your brute is eating my hat.'

'So he is, too,' said Dr. Maturin. 'But do not be perturbed, Jack; it will do him no harm, at all. His digestive processes--”

--

My favorite is probably:

“Why there you are, Stephen,' cried Jack. 'You are come home, I find.'

That is true,' said Stephen with an affectionate look: he prized statements of this kind in Jack.”

Also add just about any description of Stephen laughing.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
“I quoted Hobbes.”

“The learned cove who spoke of midshipmen as being nasty, brutish, and short?”

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
On reflection my favorite has to be Jack's triumphant:

"You needn't hurry, ladies - they won't be allowed off the sloop till the evening gun!"

:dukedoge:

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
<---

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I have a question about that quote, in fact.

Does "can" refer to something other than the modern meaning in this context? I'm pretty sure canned beer did not exist until the 1930s, and canning foods wasn't common (although it technically existed) in the period of these stories.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Colonial Air Force posted:

I have a question about that quote, in fact.

Does "can" refer to something other than the modern meaning in this context? I'm pretty sure canned beer did not exist until the 1930s, and canning foods wasn't common (although it technically existed) in the period of these stories.

Interesting catch.

My guess would be that usage is short for "canikin" which probably predates the idea of "canned goods". I suspect you'd need to check the oed though.

Edit: quick check of Merriam Webster online says "can" as drinking vessel predates the 12th century and is present in Spenser.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 14, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

"You debauched my sloth!"

This entire scene is hysterical, especially the part in French right before this where Maturin calls him a bitch with crapulous morals (iirc).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Interesting catch.

My guess would be that usage is short for "canikin" which probably predates the idea of "canned goods". I suspect you'd need to check the oed though.

Edit: quick check of Merriam Webster online says "can" as drinking vessel predates the 12th century and is present in Spenser.

It's actually bothered me for a while, but usually in the car, then I forget to look it up or ask. POB is usually really good about avoiding anachronisms, so I thought it was odd.

Etymology Online has some origins based on Swedish kanna, from Proto-Germanic and originally latin, as a "drinking vessel." I had just never heard of it as such before then.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Pulain patois mixup in M&C gets my vote

I swear I know the first word from somewhere...

I have been working my way through Patrick Tull's audio. In ionian mission does the book really say Mustafa had a "speed" of canvas or did Patrick Tull misspeak? I can't quite remember the exact passage in the book but I'm pretty sure it was in reference to the torgud sailing, not the surprise.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AubreyMaturin/ posted:

"Two cans of beere" appear in Ben Johnson's "Every Man In His Humour", performed in 1598, and there are earlier references to "drinking cans" in Scots from the 1490s onwards (some of these are specifically to earthenware jugs rather than pewter ones - not sure if that is significant)...

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

It's actually bothered me for a while, but usually in the car, then I forget to look it up or ask. POB is usually really good about avoiding anachronisms, so I thought it was odd.

Etymology Online has some origins based on Swedish kanna, from Proto-Germanic and originally latin, as a "drinking vessel." I had just never heard of it as such before then.
In modern Swedish at least, it's more along the lines of jug, or pitcher, rather than a cup.

Lockback posted:

My favorite is probably:

“Why there you are, Stephen,' cried Jack. 'You are come home, I find.'

That is true,' said Stephen with an affectionate look: he prized statements of this kind in Jack.”

This sort of thing almost always bring a tear to my eye, I often find this sort of platonic love very moving.

Lockback posted:

Also add just about any description of Stephen laughing.

Heh, yeah.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

O'Brian uses can a lot, now that I saw that I notice them using it all the time. He does say the Surprise uses leather tankards for beer, so I think he is consistent.

In Reverse of the Medal did O'Brian really mess up Babbington's name and have to correct it in the next book? That's pretty funny.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lockback posted:

In Reverse of the Medal did O'Brian really mess up Babbington's name and have to correct it in the next book? That's pretty funny.

Where? I don't remember that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

Where? I don't remember that.

http://wiki.hmssurprise.org/phase3/index.php/William_Babbington

Fanny refers to him as Charles and no one says anything, and then in the next book she says its because of a masked ball. Seems like O'Brian just forgot the name.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lockback posted:

http://wiki.hmssurprise.org/phase3/index.php/William_Babbington

Fanny refers to him as Charles and no one says anything, and then in the next book she says its because of a masked ball. Seems like O'Brian just forgot the name.

Haha, I remember the masked ball thing, I did not catch that it was (or maybe was) covering for a previous mistake.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I decided to start re-reading and figured I'd better check on the existence of goons. Goons found.

There are definitely some things I either missed or didn't get when I first read these. Regarding best quotes, I laughed for about fifteen minutes in Post Captain when a ship's boy comes to Jack's cabin. (Paraphrasing) "And I suppose they sent you to get the key to the keel lock?" "Yes sir, Bonden said the gunner's daughter might have it, but Mr ABC said he wasn't married".

Delay in reading for a tad while I review the engagement between Surprise, the China Fleet, and Linois. The explanation at http://web.mit.edu/hwebb/www/surprise.html#day1 makes a few incorrect statements, but points out contradictions that I noted when I was reading it. I eventually "gave up and enjoyed it" so I could return later and deal with it. There was something in Post Captain's action that bothered me as well, but I don't rightly remember which it was.

ps. Also rather funny in Surprise when Maturin gets a camel, apologizes to it before mounting, makes some comment about having no interest in being given a woman, then the camel driver goes on for a few minutes about how all the ladies of pleasure are icky and shouldn't he like a nice clean boy instead.

(Might have time to look them up tomorrow)

p.p.s.

quote:

... it sent the bread-barge careering over the table, and a midshipman into Jack's cabin, with the news that the wind was shifting into the east, a little mouse-like child, stiff in his best uniform, with his dirk at his side --- he had slept with it.
... 'What have you been doing to your face, Mr Parslow?' he asked, looking at the red, gaping, lint-flecked wound that ran across that smooth oval cheek from ear to chin.
'I was shaving, sir,' said Mr Parslow with a pride he could not conceal. 'Shaving, sir, and a huge great wave came.'
'Show it to the doctor,... Why are you in your number one rig?'
'They said --- it was thought I ought to show an example to the men, sir, this being my first day at sea.'
'Very proper. But I should put on some foul-weather clothes now. Tell me, did they send you for the key of the keelson?'
'Yes, sir; and I looked for it everywhere. Bonden told me he thought the gunner's daughter might have it, but when I asked Mr Rolfe, he said he was sorry, he was not a married man.'

p3s.

quote:

'Sahib, at once. Does the sahib prefer a male elephant or a female elephant?'
'A male elephant. I should be more at home with a male elephant.'
'Would the sahib wish me to bring him to a house of boys? Cleaned, polite boys like gazelles, that sing and play the flute?'
'No, Mahomet: just the elephant, if you please.'
The enormous grey creature knelt down, and Stephen looked closely into its wise little old eye, gleaming among the paint and embroidery.
'The sahib places his foot here, upon the brute.'
'I beg your pardon,' murmured Stephen at the vast archaic ear, and mounted.... 'There Kumar the rich, an unbeliever; he has a thousand concubines. The sahib is disgusted. Like me, the sahib looks upon women as tattling, guileful, tale-bearing, noisy, contemptible, mean, wrteched, unsteady, harsh, inhospitable; I will bring him a young gentleman that smells of honey.'

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 28, 2017

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Well top it the proverbial nob, I didn't recall that Stephen performed skull surgery on (at least) two sailors. (M+C, and Mauritius).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Well top it the proverbial nob, I didn't recall that Stephen performed skull surgery on (at least) two sailors. (M+C, and Mauritius).

Which apparently wasn't an uncommon ailment to cure for a good ship surgeon then, with all the stuff that could fall down on a ship and the many chances to fall down somewhere. It was also one of the more actually helpful things a surgeon could do before the modern time, when a surgeon/doctor killed fewer people than he saved on average. One reason why we not only have trepanation instruments dating back to early Aztec, Inca, Chinese and Roman times, but a surprising amount of trepanned skulls from the Neolithic era.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Yeah I've had hernia surgery and I cannot even begin to fathom a concept of how this was done without anesthesia and strong antiseptics. :gonk:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Getting blackout drunk is a kind of anesthesia.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Yeah I've had hernia surgery and I cannot even begin to fathom a concept of how this was done without anesthesia and strong antiseptics. :gonk:

Quickly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hence the legendary surgery with the 300% mortality rate.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's rather fortunate that alcohol plus significant pain causes most to pass out. Also fortunate that pain receptors are only on the surface. Probably why cauterization was so popular; much faster than stitches, for which they give locals these days. At least with an open surgery, once the spreaders are in, assuming the operating table is stable :razz: there won't be much to feel.

Surely there are happier topics. Back to fun quotes!

quote:

He returned to the wheel, the figures turning smoothly in his mind, checked and rechecked with the same satisfying result. Then, having stepped to the lee-rail, there to throw up the aged Bath bun and the glass of Marsala that he had just swallowed, committing them to the sea with long-accustomed ease, he addressed the officer of the watch...

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 15, 2017

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry to interrupt fun quote time but I just finished The Thirteen Gun Salute, and did Stephen just spend the entire book practicing with a sharpshooter's rifle only to ice Wray and Ledward offscreen?

And then dissected them to get rid of the bodies

HOLY gently caress, STEPHEN

I was so happy for him with his orangutan and rhinoceros, and then he goes and does this ice-cold superpro poo poo

e: Slightly more on topic, it is always super funny and shocking to me when one of the foremast hands or Killick uses the word "loving" in a sentence. Because of how sparingly O'Brian does it, every f-bomb feels like a declaration of war.

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 21, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I'm sorry to interrupt fun quote time but I just finished The Thirteen Gun Salute, and did Stephen just spend the entire book practicing with a sharpshooter's rifle only to ice Wray and Ledward offscreen?

I was so happy for him with his orangutan and rhinoceros, and then he goes and does this ice-cold superpro poo poo

:cool:

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Re: usage of "gently caress" – let us not forget "Oh, gently caress the immemorial custom of the service".

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Accidental double post (quote is not edit) so I might as well admit I never quite grasped the exact fate of Ledward and Wray. These books do reward careful reading, don't they?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Phy posted:

e: Slightly more on topic, it is always super funny and shocking to me when one of the foremast hands or Killick uses the word "loving" in a sentence. Because of how sparingly O'Brian does it, every f-bomb feels like a declaration of war.

I finished that book a week or so back and that was basically my exact reaction.

Thirteen Gun Salute Spoiler:
Killing them off-screen I liked. Somethings an intelligent agent does are not witnessed and of all things, Stephen would be most discrete with that.
The dissection was loving cold though. And bringing it to Van Buren as basically a play-date just added insult on top. That's just how little Stephen thought of those two.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That European spleen totally made Van Buren's day.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Indeed I remember "fuggin" appearing, so I've been a bit stunned to not see it. It's always --- missing (yes, rendered like that, em-dashed). It's been a dozen years since my first full reading, so it'll be fun to see when it fuggin begins.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember thinking in 13 Stephen totally killed these guys and dumped their bodies on his friend, but I didn't want to ask for confimation

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's strongly implied that Stephen shoots them as they try to leave town.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I remember thinking in 13 Stephen totally killed these guys and dumped their bodies on his friend, but I didn't want to ask for confimation

Arglebargle III posted:

It's strongly implied that Stephen shoots them as they try to leave town.

In the most Stephen way, it's possible the Sultan had them killed with Stephen's assistance. That's why it was perfect that it wasn't witnessed by the reader.

But actually, yeah. Stephen gunned them down while chewing coca leaves.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

quote:

'Make a lane there', he said, addressing the penguins as he hurried Stephen down the road that countless generations of the birds had made.
Sometimes it's the simple things.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Phy posted:

I believe this is also the same book where he dissects a corpse, takes a break and uses the same scalpel to carve the chicken he's having for lunch.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I believe this is also the same book where he dissects a corpse, takes a break and uses the same scalpel to carve the chicken he's having for lunch.
He does this with an acquaintance somewhere in the first few books, wiping off some large dissecting knife to cut slices of some food. I just finished book five, it's not in there, so it's before that, but I don't remember the particulars otherwise.

At the beginning of Fortune of War, Stephen surprises everyone in the cricket game. I had to look it up online to be sure, but pob style suggests it was a standard Stephen blunder and it seems his actions were not cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the cricket game he is playing hurley (Irish field hockey) instead of cricket.