Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
What's the skill progression for a deathbringer to be Harbringer? I don't want to crimp my side party since it helps me destress from the zaniness on the fifth stratum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The White Dragon posted:

since the stat cap is raised to 255, has the stat benefit from retiring been increased or is that still just +10? also, what about stat books? now that i'm waist deep in this poo poo it's time to start thinking about powerleveling

Stat boost increased from +10 to +20.

Stat books stopped being a thing after EO4. Since their effect was capped after they were so busted in EO3, all they really did was add another form of grinding to reach a class' maximum potential.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

theshim posted:

godspeed you crazy bastard

Thank you, thank you.

Anyway, finally beat 2nd stratum boss.

Bunkers! Does nothing against sky dive but at least it's good for every other move the boss packs, especially that multi hit volt move.

Dragoons, despite being tanks, cannot take int based damage very well, especially if they're Therians and Earthlains.

And wing shield was a pain to break out of considering I only had 2 sources of int based damage - my celestrian and brouni.

I mean, I head bound the final one so it was just sitting there like a loser.

But whatever, now for the fun part. I'll finally get to do something other than spamming attack / barrage attack.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

All level 99, unretired. I guess it's not strictly necessary, but since you'd be at around level 90 once you get to the boss, you might as well cap out your team. The fight has a shitton of landmines so to speak and it doesn't hurt to mitigate the chances of things loving up a little. (Retiring them and re-grinding them to 99 from 50 is too much for me though.)

What party comp did you end up using? I beat it tonight with my regular party of Cannoneer/Barrage Brawler//Houndsman/Omni/Punisher, but it took me over a dozen tries and resting a few dudes (stuff like, moving points out of the panic howl, not ignoring the entire amplifier/life siphon line, all that kind of thing). My own party was all 99, retired at 70; tried it a couple times at ~85 before, but I got tired of Full Burst going off before all of my attackers had a chance to move.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Batigh posted:

What party comp did you end up using? I beat it tonight with my regular party of Cannoneer/Barrage Brawler//Houndsman/Omni/Punisher, but it took me over a dozen tries and resting a few dudes (stuff like, moving points out of the panic howl, not ignoring the entire amplifier/life siphon line, all that kind of thing). My own party was all 99, retired at 70; tried it a couple times at ~85 before, but I got tired of Full Burst going off before all of my attackers had a chance to move.

Cannon Dragoon, Blade Master Masurao, Barrage Pugilist, Spirit Evoker Necro, Spirit Broker Necro.

The basic gameplan was to use Sacrifice + Wraith Explosion to kill the adds as they come and chip the boss down. (Each Wraith Explosion does like 5k-15k depending on buffs and wraith amount so it wasn't a slow chipping)
Full Burst turns are actually the easiest to deal with for me, funnily enough, since I can kill all of them in one go with Wraith Explosion :v:

The Cannon Dragoon helps to bring down the boss with Buster Cannon and uses Line Guard/Mana Guard as needed. The Masurao, Pugilist, and Evoker Necro ended up mostly being buff/debuff-bots for the Broker Necro and the Dragoon; Evoker Necro also keeps the wraith supply topped up during Wraith Explosion turns, while Pugilist also attempts to bind the parts, especially the ones that nullify damage. The Masurao surprisingly didn't do all that much damage to the boss since he's too busy reapplying High Ground and Armor Pierce and throwing Soma Primes, and I didn't have time to land leg binds/petrify for Helm Splitter.

Also Wide Swing, Tri-Magic, Petal Scatter, Banefire Breath, Wraith Explosion exactly killed all the parts to survive turn 1.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 12, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I've managed to beat the 2nd stratum with this ragtag party. I plan to retire everyone at 30 as usual. Anything I can radically improve about the party that is gonna bite me in the rear end? current comp:

Chain Fencer / Dragoon (mess of skills so far) / Pugilist (one two punch route)
Hound Rover / Warlock

One-two Punch is incredibly unreliable damage past the early-game. Even at level 10, the activation rate is only 66%, not 100%, which makes it unviable. You'll need it to unlock Leading Blow, but Clinch will be far better for locking down FOEs and bosses. And the self bind from Clinch can be used for Breather which will amplify Leading Blow's damage.

What in the world is a Chain Fencer supposed to do in that party? The Rover and Warlock might be able to proc elemental Chains. And I guess the Puglist and Rover can help with Chain Killer procs, but ultimately it seems like a party member that won't be able to do all that much.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
My third party made it to 11F at last!

Chain Fencer/Barrage Pugilist/4sword Masurao
Smoke Herbalist/Omnimancer Warlock

Yes, that’s correct. I don’t have anyone to direct hits away from my Masurao. He sure as hell shits out damage until he gets hit though! :gibs:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Stat boost increased from +10 to +20.

Stat books stopped being a thing after EO4. Since their effect was capped after they were so busted in EO3,
Too add a bit to this, the only 'legit' Abyssal Boss clear I've seen video of (prior to the ones in your LP) used a level 99r99 Zodiac who had also ground out enough stat books to get their strength to 99. Stats are what limit the usefulness of certain cross-classing combinations, you see. The best user of Freezing Blow is a Zodiac with all their elemental boosts maxed out, and Gladiator level strength.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

One-two Punch is incredibly unreliable damage past the early-game. Even at level 10, the activation rate is only 66%, not 100%, which makes it unviable. You'll need it to unlock Leading Blow, but Clinch will be far better for locking down FOEs and bosses. And the self bind from Clinch can be used for Breather which will amplify Leading Blow's damage.

I landed the killing blow on the super boss with one two punch. Being able to have a very good chance for a large damage multi hit attack with no setup is extremely valuable.

To be sure, I had to rework my build for that boss so I could have clinch and overexertion maxed too, but up to and including it that move never stopped being useful.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I mean, if you just want a reliable binder you might as well ignore One-Two Punch altogether and just get the individual skills to 10 as soon as possible. It won't be fancy or anything, but maxing out those skills + Overexertion would still give you a perfectly viable ~lv. 35 character.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Actually a reliable binder (before clinch) would be the binding items, which you get in the 2nd stratum plus status attack up coupled with black mist.

One two punch isn't something you do for binding or lockdown, it simple no set up damage.

It also is pretty cheap cost wise, unlike leading blow which is basically full binds + ailment for full damage.

Also

Dr. Fetus posted:

What in the world is a Chain Fencer supposed to do in that party? The Rover and Warlock might be able to proc elemental Chains. And I guess the Puglist and Rover can help with Chain Killer procs, but ultimately it seems like a party member that won't be able to do all that much.

It's a chain killer, elemental chain hybrid party.

Plus thunder fist exist. So do elemental oils.

Overexertion is best buff.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Four years after buying it, I just got to the final boss in EO4, and oh boy I'm getting my rear end kicked to a crazy degree. What level should I be for this, all my guys are 52.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hahaha, I just realized they call Copper Ingots "Bronze Ingots" in the forge menu. I was confused for a bit.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Elswyyr posted:

Four years after buying it, I just got to the final boss in EO4, and oh boy I'm getting my rear end kicked to a crazy degree. What level should I be for this, all my guys are 52.

In most of my runs I was at 58 after the fifth Stratum and rested my guys to 56 to clean up all the skills that were useful during early and mid game but don't work in the late game that well.
So 55-57 is a good range, I'd say.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Actually a reliable binder (before clinch) would be the binding items, which you get in the 2nd stratum plus status attack up coupled with black mist.
How would you get status attack up in the 2nd stratum? Although I admit I don't usually bother with attack items due to the expense so I never bothered looking up the base chance and how it interacted with character LUC.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

Cannon Dragoon, Blade Master Masurao, Barrage Pugilist, Spirit Evoker Necro, Spirit Broker Necro.

The basic gameplan was to use Sacrifice + Wraith Explosion to kill the adds as they come and chip the boss down. (Each Wraith Explosion does like 5k-15k depending on buffs and wraith amount so it wasn't a slow chipping)
Full Burst turns are actually the easiest to deal with for me, funnily enough, since I can kill all of them in one go with Wraith Explosion :v:

The Cannon Dragoon helps to bring down the boss with Buster Cannon and uses Line Guard/Mana Guard as needed. The Masurao, Pugilist, and Evoker Necro ended up mostly being buff/debuff-bots for the Broker Necro and the Dragoon; Evoker Necro also keeps the wraith supply topped up during Wraith Explosion turns, while Pugilist also attempts to bind the parts, especially the ones that nullify damage. The Masurao surprisingly didn't do all that much damage to the boss since he's too busy reapplying High Ground and Armor Pierce and throwing Soma Primes, and I didn't have time to land leg binds/petrify for Helm Splitter.

Also Wide Swing, Tri-Magic, Petal Scatter, Banefire Breath, Wraith Explosion exactly killed all the parts to survive turn 1.

Sounds like you had a much easier time than I did! Nearly all of the damage I dealt to the main body came from my Cannoneer- which was sizeable, but frequently disrupted thanks to Clear Body, Parry, etc. Even with nearly maxed luck and status atk up, my pugilist had some trouble keeping the dangerous stuff bound. In hindsight, I should've purchased more binding items and had him spam them rather than rely on clinch or double punch.

I'm curious if anyone has numbers for Alluring Body. My Rover brought a Failnaught+5 for each attempt, and it seems to have helped somewhat, but not all that reliably (a hallmark of this boss, I suppose).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I also noticed that they call Iorys "City of Seven Hills" in the town menu, but "Seven Hill City" in the main menu. The translation/localization is a little inconsistent this time around.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Rangpur posted:

How would you get status attack up in the 2nd stratum? Although I admit I don't usually bother with attack items due to the expense so I never bothered looking up the base chance and how it interacted with character LUC.

You can't, but your binds max out at 50%, items at 60% and target all, clinch closer to 70%.

Not that you would know this if you didn't look at the data.

So no matter what, your binds aren't really the best method to bind, until you count in double punch, but that's a 50% re try chance.

Clinch is fastest if you're aiming for leading blow. It doesn't combo very well with chain killer because all three binds going off will only trigger one chase, and if you inflict them individually they will trigger more chases.

It depends on who your main damage dealer is.

You still want to max out binds if you're using leading blow. The follow up skills use the actual skills.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Elswyyr posted:

I just beat it today with my guys between 55-58 and completely destroyed it on my first try, so it could probably be done a couple levels lower. I don't know if I had an overpowered team though cause I found the whole last third of the game to be really easy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a maximum length for autowalk paths? I'm trying to put together a path for gathering on 6F and one of my paths is too short to reach the westmost Take point from the one near upward stairs.

If there's a better way to gather things, though, I'd love to hear it.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Rangpur posted:

I mean, if you just want a reliable binder you might as well ignore One-Two Punch altogether and just get the individual skills to 10 as soon as possible. It won't be fancy or anything, but maxing out those skills + Overexertion would still give you a perfectly viable ~lv. 35 character.

This is what I did, except no Overexertion because using that against the superboss is very risky.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Man, this elemental chain party just deletes things once it gets rolling.

I've gotten to 23F.

GRABBITY.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just got into a battle with the Primordiphant. Yes. YES. YESSS :unsmigghh: :getin:

Also, I recall hearing that this game had a lot of features besides the labyrinth and the race/class system...without spoiling anything, did I hear correctly or am I thinking of another game?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Too add a bit to this, the only 'legit' Abyssal Boss clear I've seen video of (prior to the ones in your LP) used a level 99r99 Zodiac who had also ground out enough stat books to get their strength to 99. Stats are what limit the usefulness of certain cross-classing combinations, you see. The best user of Freezing Blow is a Zodiac with all their elemental boosts maxed out, and Gladiator level strength.

Gladiators and Zodiacs are equivalent when it comes to Freezing Blow. Endless Battle and Ether Mastery both affect Freezing Blow since that's Ice + Bash damage. Without taking stat books into account, Gladiator is superior since they have a higher base STR stat. Of course stat books throw that out the window, hence why they got nerfed in EO4, and then removed entirely from the series after that.

Pollyanna posted:

Just got into a battle with the Primordiphant. Yes. YES. YESSS :unsmigghh: :getin:

Also, I recall hearing that this game had a lot of features besides the labyrinth and the race/class system...without spoiling anything, did I hear correctly or am I thinking of another game?

You're thinking of another game. EO5 is actually pretty barebones compared to the other EO games.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You're thinking of another game. EO5 is actually pretty barebones compared to the other EO games.

I might be confusing it with EO4 or something, then. Although I appreciate how it's getting back to the basics of EO games, I'm a little concerned over what this means for future development of the series...how well has this game sold?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Atlus is the king of making niche games for a small but passionate audience, I wouldn't worry about it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I might be confusing it with EO4 or something, then. Although I appreciate how it's getting back to the basics of EO games, I'm a little concerned over what this means for future development of the series...how well has this game sold?

Overall the games sell for way less overseas than in Japan. (EO4 was 22k overseas where it was around 95k in Japan.)

For Japan, EO5 sold a little less than EO4 at launch, but the sales data only accounted for physical sales, and EO4 in Japan didn't have the option to buy it digitally at launch, where EO5 did.

First week sales data:

quote:

01./00. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth # <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.08.04} (¥6.480) - 92.518 / NEW

Comparison to other games.

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey <RPG> (Atlus) {2007.01.18} (¥4.980) - 32.511 <85,00%>

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard <RPG> (Atlus) {2008.02.21} (¥4.980) - 68.913 <59,57%>

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey III: The Downed City <RPG> (Atlus) {2010.04.01} (¥5.980) - 87.765 <74,75%>

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.07.05} (¥5.980) - 95.506 <75,68%>

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl <RPG> (Atlus) {2013.06.27} (¥5.980) - 88.278 <67,15%>

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.11.27} (¥5.980) - 59.531 <67,64%>

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pollyanna posted:

I love the Primordiphant but he kinda went down like a chump when I finally got the post-game quest to take him on. :(

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Feldegast42 posted:

I love the Primordiphant but he kinda went down like a chump when I finally got the post-game quest to take him on. :(

I fought him immediately after the crystal dragon. Took about 40 turns but I beat him then!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Where are the beetle fights and cow in stratum 2? I don't wanna miss them this time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
gently caress beetle fights. rear end in a top hat stole my fuckin ariadne thread

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If you bother to read the descriptions of each bug under Key Items, they do pretty well spell out which beetle to pick. Except why would you ever think that was necessary? Personally I'm alright with the game pulling a handful of dick moves, what with being a spiritual successor to Wizardry and all. But let's be clear: they are seriously dickish moves, full stop.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
I never found a single beetle fight :(

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Aerofallosov posted:

Where are the beetle fights and cow in stratum 2? I don't wanna miss them this time.

On floor ten you'll run into a place where rocks are about to fall, walk slowly with someone with the animal care skill in your party and you'll win the legendary emperor beetle. This guy is the one who wins you the bug battle.

As for the battle itself, it's next to the fishing hole on 10F, look north.

If you couldn't catch the beetle, just buy it from bug catcher man at the bar.

For the cow, explore 10F. Now one path leads you to hippogryph right, but not that one. First after you leave the two tengu rooms (the ones on the bottom), the guard man will be in one of dead ends. I forgot exactly where, but it's F7 I think.

To find lost guard again you need to cross the large room and go to A5. He's in another dead end there.

After finding him again, leave the labyrinth and sleep for a day (or make a day pass, whatever), and return to floor 10. Guard will mark location of cow on your floor. It's on floor 8, if you cross the large room with 3 tengu. You need animal care. You can just ignore the tengu and head straight for the door. Hug the north wall and go left.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Undead King down, took a few tries because it boiled down to fishing for ailments to actually land. Things in the 4th stratum are oneshotting my stupid Harbingers. Wheeeeee.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Owning the poo poo out of the Star Devourer was extremely satisfying.

Now I need new party ideas, with 100% more cannon-wielding eyepatch ladies.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

SC Bracer posted:

Owning the poo poo out of the Star Devourer was extremely satisfying.

Now I need new party ideas, with 100% more cannon-wielding eyepatch ladies.

Consider asking some friends which Etrian class they would play in a tabletop campaign setting, and populating your party based on that. I made the mistake of forcing blind picks, so now I have two necromancers (good), a warlock (still good), and a frontline smoke botanist (god why).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna write out my Hippogryph strategy just to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Pugilist-Fencer-Dragoon/Botanist-Warlock. Pugilist binds head and arms and also overexerts and uses Thunder Fist, Fender uses Chain Shock, Dragoon uses Line Guard and Mana Guard whenever appropriate, Botanist either heals/de-panics or attacks to proc Chain Shock, Warlock uses Focus Charge -> Lightning.

Hippogryph still damages me too quickly and too often to get any good damage off. That'd be an issue with the Dragoon, I assume...maybe I've just been unlucky with predicting its moves. I assume I'm doing enough damage otherwise?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm a little confused about skills for Dragoons. It seems like their Guard skills want them to be getting hit, but the Bunkers don't gel with that. Should I just pick one and focus on it? Planning on going Cannon, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Honestly, on hippogryph, I didn't do any HP lowering moves because he'd just stomp my pugilist into mud if she weren't at full.