Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

ArbitraryC posted:

I could see it working for large families but it feels nearly impossible for 2 people. 3k/year is 250/mo and considering a lot of groceries (veg, fruit, pork, chicken) are much cheaper at local places I just can't see myself racking up that much on frozen treats and dairy. Maybe if you ate a lot of beef I guess.

Same here. It is hard enough to generate enough savings to warrant the base membership. If you've got an office of people that you provide snacks for it'd probably help alot and be better. I probably only spend around $100 a month at Costco.

Or if you're a Mega Goon and spend $3000 a year on Cheez-Its and Famous Amos cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
All hail the chicken pot pie.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

I could see it working for large families but it feels nearly impossible for 2 people. 3k/year is 250/mo and considering a lot of groceries (veg, fruit, pork, chicken) are much cheaper at local places I just can't see myself racking up that much on frozen treats and dairy. Maybe if you ate a lot of beef I guess.

Factoring just food, then $3k/yr for 2 is tough, but if you add in the other stuff sold at the warehouse it adds up fast. Heck we popped in yesterday for a glasses adjustment, rx pickup, some veggies and cheese, and walked out with all that plus a Pressure Cooker and new boots for my wife. We topped $400...again (sigh)

I get a free membership, but umm, crap. Not making a good argument for membership.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Meydey posted:

Factoring just food, then $3k/yr for 2 is tough, but if you add in the other stuff sold at the warehouse it adds up fast. Heck we popped in yesterday for a glasses adjustment, rx pickup, some veggies and cheese, and walked out with all that plus a Pressure Cooker and new boots for my wife. We topped $400...again (sigh)

I get a free membership, but umm, crap. Not making a good argument for membership.

I mean if you're constantly impulse buying stuff it might "save" you money but not really in the sense of actual frugality.

I guess it might not be a bad system if you live off their frozen foods and then hop over to the pharmacy for all your blood pressure and diabetes meds.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

All hail the chicken pot pie.

Thats like a weeks worth of food there. Savings!

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Some of you guys are only thinking about food. Costco is more than food. You should be buying everything from Costco. Not just because of their prices but because of the excellent return policy. If I buy a snowblower I know Costco has my back. Membership has its privileges.

edit: Meydey set y'all straight. PBUC.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Some of you guys are only thinking about food. Costco is more than food. You should be buying everything from Costco. Not just because of their prices but because of the excellent return policy. If I buy a snowblower I know Costco has my back. Membership has its privileges.

Agreed

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

absolutely dude, my gf got me one of those Canon Rebel kits and I've been using the poo poo out of it for everything

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just bought a laptop for work, having a 4 year warranty on it is unimaginably awesome, thanks Costco!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I should buy a pumpkin pie tonight at Costco.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

I should buy a pumpkin pie tonight at Costco.

How are those cheesecakes I keep eyeballing in the cooler at the bakery?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Can’t you have two people on a costco account? Just keep one card for yourselves and hand one card to another family member for free and rake in 2% on their spending also.

This is probably against costco’s ToS though so I wouldn’t advertise you’re doing it

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fellis posted:

Can’t you have two people on a costco account? Just keep one card for yourselves and hand one card to another family member for free and rake in 2% on their spending also.

This is probably against costco’s ToS though so I wouldn’t advertise you’re doing it

My wife and I share an account, but we each have our own card. I've used my parent's card in the past. I don't know how strict they are about checking that the card is you. I think the rules are pretty loose with a business account about who can use your card.

GORDON posted:

How are those cheesecakes I keep eyeballing in the cooler at the bakery?

I haven' t tried that one yet. I served a standard sheet cake to ~50 people last week and had plenty left over though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I was there with my grandmother who uses one of the motorized wheelchair cart things when she's there. She waits down past the register for me to get done with everything. The cashier saw the card and was like "Who's this? This isn't you" and I had to point her out to show it was hers and she was there. So I guess it depends on the cashier. That was a business account.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I guess I will cancel the executive membership then. Or at least let it expire at April.

Regular Costco Member is crazy good though. The savings from buying allergy pills once paid for the basic membership. The majority of my diet is frozen veggies and protein powder, no joke. So re-loading on those at Costco saves a bunch. Both are cheaper than grocery stores and even amazon.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lol if you don't have the credit card and run every transaction in your life through the card like even paying bills with the card so you pay bills on your bills and you get cash back on your cash back

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

My wife and I share an account, but we each have our own card. I've used my parent's card in the past. I don't know how strict they are about checking that the card is you. I think the rules are pretty loose with a business account about who can use your card.

Yeah business accounts might be a little different, but they can definitely refuse to ring you up if you're trying to use someone else's membership card. I've seen cashiers not even give the card back and say that when person on the card wants to come back and shop themselves they can get their card replaced at the membership desk. Not sure how that would work if it was a Costco Visa card, but it would certainly be more complicated. It might be difficult to prove that the card belongs to a close friend or relative and not that it was just stolen from a random person.

They're also starting to crack down on people bringing their friends or family in with them to shop on their card, because technically, if you're shopping at Costco you need to have a membership. We basically tell the member that the person on the card has to be the one who pays, but I'll let it slide if the other person pays cash.

People still get away with doing all that stuff though. If they know that a certain cashier doesn't give a poo poo then they'll just always go through their line. But that cashier will absolutely get in trouble for it if they're caught not checking the membership cards properly.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Fellis posted:

I think only the primary person on the account gets the 2% back. I'm pretty sure I don't collect on what the other people on my account buy, otherwise my 2% check would have been higher. My case could be different though since I have a Costco employee membership, but I think the employees just have a standard executive membership. I'm not great with some of the lesser known membership details though, membership is one of the areas that I have never worked in.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I mean like you have two different families on one account, with one adult from each family having their own card in their name on the account (because you can have two), not just borrowing someone else’s card.

I mean if you go in separate from your SO regularly or whatever then yeah you each need one and can’t do it.

E:

Jingleheimer posted:

I think only the primary person on the account gets the 2% back. I'm pretty sure I don't collect on what the other people on my account buy, otherwise my 2% check would have been higher. My case could be different though since I have a Costco employee membership, but I think the employees just have a standard executive membership. I'm not great with some of the lesser known membership details though, membership is one of the areas that I have never worked in.

That would make sense

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean if you're constantly impulse buying stuff it might "save" you money but not really in the sense of actual frugality.

I guess it might not be a bad system if you live off their frozen foods and then hop over to the pharmacy for all your blood pressure and diabetes meds.

Busted. I bought the popcorn chicken and a Kirkland lasagna because they were on coupon. And as I am an employee, I have to use the Costco pharmacy for my wifes' prescription allergy meds.
The point I was making is that for 2 people, only counting food will probably not make it to $3k. Now, with myself, wife and 2 teenagers, then $3k is too drat easy.

Fellis posted:

Your card has a primary account holder, and (I think) 3 family members cards. Both of my kids had family cards but they did not accrue the 2%.

Edit: Beaten

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

FogHelmut posted:

lol if you don't have the credit card and run every transaction in your life through the card like even paying bills with the card so you pay bills on your bills and you get cash back on your cash back

Yeah the costco card... she is my one and only credit card.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I bought a cruise thru Costco Travel (2%) on my Costco Visa (3%) and got a $120 cashcard (~8% discount) this fall.

Put EVERYTHING on the Costco Citi card (and pay it off immediately)

"Costco Cash Rewards Balance (Year to Date)
This amount reflects the total amount of Costco Cash Rewards earned within the current year and is current through your last statement closing date.
Rewards earned between your January and December billing statements will be distributed the following year, once your February statement closes, in the form of a credit card reward certificate.
$ 565.57"

OH YEAH

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

3.63lbs of pie for $6

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The best part about having holy communion and missing pies is that you get to have communion again tomorrow.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

I love going out to eat with a group, because I'll just put the bill on my Costco card and have everyone venmo me.
- Server is happy they don't have to split a bill 8 ways
- I look like a baller (even though I'm getting paid back)
- I get 3% of everyone's check
- Doesn't cost me a dime at the end of the month

Also, thx to everyone who confirmed that I can freeze muffins successfully. Looking forward to fattening up for winter.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
Joined the Sherpa throw club, the cat laid down on the blanket three hours ago and has not gotten up.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
To see people talking about $250 a month on food and here I am in lovely rear end Tokyo trying to spend less than $600 as a single person.

Honestly living near a Costco pays for itself in so many ways, praise be unto Sinegal

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

FogHelmut posted:

please don't doxx me thanks

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Meydey posted:

I bought a cruise thru Costco Travel (2%) on my Costco Visa (3%) and got a $120 cashcard (~8% discount) this fall.

Put EVERYTHING on the Costco Citi card (and pay it off immediately)

"Costco Cash Rewards Balance (Year to Date)
This amount reflects the total amount of Costco Cash Rewards earned within the current year and is current through your last statement closing date.
Rewards earned between your January and December billing statements will be distributed the following year, once your February statement closes, in the form of a credit card reward certificate.
$ 565.57"

OH YEAH

PBUC. Only things that don't go on the Costco card are foreign transactions (it has a FTF) and purchases at Amazon (5% on the Prime card).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

PBUC. Only things that don't go on the Costco card are foreign transactions (it has a FTF) and purchases at Amazon (5% on the Prime card).

oh yeah, I got that foreign transaction fee once, but the card didn't tell me which transaction was foreign. I assume it was some kind of online retailer.

I also run the Amazon card and the Target card. Gotta maximize cash back on all levels.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

Of course I do this. I'd put my mortgage on the card if they let me. (They don't, I asked)

But I have a lot of my bills on it

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Where's that guy who wanted the Costco hat?

Why dream so small?

https://www.costco.ca/Johnny-Vac-Auto-Rider-Floor-Scrubber-with-Battery-and-Charger-.product.100142100.html

Show your Costco colours by cosplaying as Costco janitorial staff!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bought this TV from Costco on Sunday for $449
https://www.costco.com/TCL-55-Class...zbd2mM26S6PEr36

It's a nice TV and having a 4 year warranty on it it just :kiss:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

FogHelmut posted:

God drat lol at me this month but no longer

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Good call. My cruise was out of Southampton UK, so had to go with my local bank Visa with no ftf while in London. Also fired up a Delta Gold Amex for skymiles and ended up with about 70k.
And yeah, Amazon card for Amazon only.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Oh, the Amazon card actually has no FTF, so it's what I use overseas.

But PBUC!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FCKGW posted:

I got that exact TV about three weeks ago for $419.99 :cool:

It is a really good TV for the price.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Spring for the Squaretrade warranty and it stacks on top of the other two. 7 year warranty for $30 is pretty rad.

I've had two name-brand TV's crap out on me after only a couple years (Samsung and Vizio) so I'm very warranty-conscious now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm horney for Costco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I just had a $1.65 (1.50+tax) dog, but no refill. I'll let those more in need have the ordained refill, I'm satisfied with just the one cup of soda.