Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Wow, I go on vacation for the weekend and all hell has broken loose.

So from what I gathered, Jester outed himself as Ivan, a prominent seller on the grey market for ships.

Jester is mod of both the grey market subreddit and the Derek Smart subreddit.

Jester has a severe conflict of interest as both moderator and seller in the grey market.

Jester has a severe conflict of interest as a seller in the grey market and as the moderator of a hate sub dedicated to attacking the most vocal critic of the game he sells ships from.

And now he is scrubbing r/DS in the hopes to distance himself from a targeted hate sub that he directly profits from?

Can we assume that it is not a short leap from CIG to Jester? If they pay him under the table in ships that he flips on the grey market he controls, and he uses the r/DS subreddit silence and discredit detractors for his own and for CIG's profit, would that not be a violation of the rules of Reddit?

Now I kinda want to see Legal drag Jester to court (pun!) and see how fast he will flip on CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

SomethingJones posted:

ACCESSIVE REPORTING OF POSYS

Programmers operating system does deserve it though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Meanwhile, I've...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
HOLY poo poo THEY FIXED THE CSS!

IVE BEEN WAITING OVER A YEAR!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Without some kind of body of evidence to cite, some kind of archive, I don't see how that could happen.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Open case against RSI. Claimant is a minor. :neckbeard:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

'maybe stop buying Star Wars garbage?' I say to the infinite uncaring void

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Solarin posted:

'maybe stop buying garbage?' I say to the infinite void composed of nothing but payment options and bags of doritos

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

I think a lot of this actually arises from the technology itself. Back in the dinosaur times, a conversation ended when one or more participants got up and walked away. You had some exceptions like public journals and letter-writing groups, and hey it turns out those were kind of notorious for cantankerous shitlords. The internet made every conversation eternal, and public- and then on top of that threw in notifications, so you could find out if somebody responded to you three weeks after the fact and get sucked right back in.

(wise mode on)

Yes, the internet has lowered the barrier to confrontation. It's a double-edged sword as you point out. And I do worry that those who've never known life without a digital interface are more prey to sloppy thinking and various fallacies as an emotional crutch. It's why I don't touch the poop, because I've never felt those kinds of arguments are worth having, as tempting and fun as it is. That Beet questions himself is a mark of maturity. So many don't get to that stage.

quote:

What alarms me is how many people seem to think the solution is to wall yourself off from conflicting opinions and create spaces where you only engage with people who don't challenge you. Straw man and stereotype your opponents and then all kind of communally take turns whaling on the effigy version. Which is one reason I really appreciate when pro-SC people do come in here, because it reminds us that they're human beings too.

But no I don't think that can all be blamed on the internet. We live in a real, polarised world, because we always lived at village size (we can only personalise somewhere around 150 other people), and looking for simple black and white ideas is comforting on all sides. Think about those famous psychological experiments done in an era before the internet (although also in a mass communication era, which might spoil the comparison). I'll just leave a *cough*Godwin*cough* here.

There is also a habit by some (not accusing you here!) of blaming whatever new technology is around for whatever they dislike about other people, often by pretending to a concern for children. To me that's usually a sign that they're insecure about maintaining some power they think they'll lose. Name anything, there's usually been some kind of paternalistic backlash. So I'm a bit wary of easy arguments like that.

The internet gives free rein to a polarised impulse, true. But you only have to look at real world politics and history to realise it's a human tribal impulse already, however encouraged by digital means. It just makes it easier to excuse to oneself. And far easier for those who have never questioned themselves to be zealots.

(wise mode off)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Really want some gyudon right now...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

I think a lot of this actually arises from the technology itself. Back in the dinosaur times, a conversation ended when one or more participants got up and walked away. You had some exceptions like public journals and letter-writing groups, and hey it turns out those were kind of notorious for cantankerous shitlords. The internet made every conversation eternal, and public- and then on top of that threw in notifications, so you could find out if somebody responded to you three weeks after the fact and get sucked right back in.

This has had a really negative impact. I've felt it too, same as you- it's hard to walk away first when you really disagree with someone because you feel like you're letting them "Win." But the chances that you're going to reach any kind of understanding are slim to none, and you can't just unilaterally end a conversation anymore. All you can do is accept that your part in it has come to an end and disengage. People can't do that, though, and now we've basically laid out the foundations for every obnoxious and problematic area on reddit.

What alarms me is how many people seem to think the solution is to wall yourself off from conflicting opinions and create spaces where you only engage with people who don't challenge you. Straw man and stereotype your opponents and then all kind of communally take turns whaling on the effigy version. Which is one reason I really appreciate when pro-SC people do come in here, because it reminds us that they're human beings too.

It goes even further than that and circles back into the real world. Remember when your friends and neighbors were from all over the political, religious, and personal interest spectrum? Because they were your friends and neighbors due to proximity - it was get along with each other or sit in your house alone. So people were forced to mingle and go to dinner and movies and go fishing with people who gasp disagreed with them, and it wound up with the horrific side effect of lots of people being close friends with other people who disagreed with them on some subjects, because they found lots of other common ground and had an overall greater respect for each other in general. It was impossible to brand some guy who liked Pepsi and you liked Coke into "the enemy" because you're about to be best man at his wedding and wearing a "Shitlords Drink Pepsi" shirt to the ceremony would clash with the decor.

In these more advanced times, we now see the wisdom of subdividing humanity into even more categories than we used to, and judging them accordingly with derogatory names for their group ("Pepshits") so that you can sit in the dark, one hand on dick, the other on mouse, to scroll through your "Coke-Woke" support group and read for months about how right you already know you are.

Edit: ewe2 posted a thought-provoking counter while I was posting this. Good stuff for me to think about.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 13, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

It goes even further than that and circles back into the real world. Remember when your friends and neighbors were from all over the political, religious, and personal interest spectrum? Because they were your friends and neighbors due to proximity - it was get along with each other or sit in your house alone. So people were forced to mingle and go to dinner and movies and go fishing with people who gasp disagreed with them, and it wound up with the horrific side effect of lots of people being close friends with other people who disagreed with them on some subjects, because they found lots of other common ground and had an overall greater respect for each other in general. It was impossible to brand some guy who liked Pepsi and you liked Coke into "the enemy" because you're about to be best man at his wedding and wearing a "Shitlords Drink Pepsi" shirt to the ceremony would clash with the decor.

In these more advanced times, we now see the wisdom of subdividing humanity into even more categories than we used to, and judging them accordingly with derogatory names for their group ("Pepshits") so that you can sit in the dark, one hand on dick, the other on mouse, to scroll through your "Coke-Woke" support group and read for months about how right you already know you are.

I genuinely can't tell if I want you to have made all of that extremely vitriolic Coke vs Pepsi stuff up or for it all to be real and there to be serious online communities dedicated to trolling the gently caress out of people who like a different disgusting soft drink lol.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ewe2 posted:

(wise mode on)

Yes, the internet has lowered the barrier to confrontation. It's a double-edged sword as you point out. And I do worry that those who've never known life without a digital interface are more prey to sloppy thinking and various fallacies as an emotional crutch. It's why I don't touch the poop, because I've never felt those kinds of arguments are worth having, as tempting and fun as it is. That Beet questions himself is a mark of maturity. So many don't get to that stage.

But no I don't think that can all be blamed on the internet. We live in a real, polarised world, because we always lived at village size (we can only personalise somewhere around 150 other people), and looking for simple black and white ideas is comforting on all sides. Think about those famous psychological experiments done in an era before the internet (although also in a mass communication era, which might spoil the comparison). I'll just leave a *cough*Godwin*cough* here.

There is also a habit by some (not accusing you here!) of blaming whatever new technology is around for whatever they dislike about other people, often by pretending to a concern for children. To me that's usually a sign that they're insecure about maintaining some power they think they'll lose. Name anything, there's usually been some kind of paternalistic backlash. So I'm a bit wary of easy arguments like that.

The internet gives free rein to a polarised impulse, true. But you only have to look at real world politics and history to realise it's a human tribal impulse already, however encouraged by digital means. It just makes it easier to excuse to oneself. And far easier for those who have never questioned themselves to be zealots.

(wise mode off)

0 parps, lame

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I genuinely can't tell if I want you to have made all of that extremely vitriolic Coke vs Pepsi stuff up or for it all to be real and there to be serious online communities dedicated to trolling the gently caress out of people who like a different disgusting soft drink lol.

Yellow Mellow or die!

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

thatguy posted:

I don't understand the whole lootbox outrage. Haven't lootboxes/crates/cases been a thing for years?

Let me explain by giving you examples of how BF2 is doing lootboxes versus Blizzard games Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm

BF2
60 dollar game with paid DLC
Lootboxes cost real money, are earned slowly, and give clear essential advantages in the actual game
The advantages are hard to obtain through normal play. Darth Vader takes like 40 hours of play or some poo poo.

Overwatch
60 dollar game
All new maps, gamemodes, and characters are free forever if you own the game.
Lootboxes are 100% cosmetic and earned at an okayish to poor pace (matter of opinion) in game.

Heroes of the Storm
Game is free
All new maps and gamemodes are free
New and existing heroes can be bought with real money but are very easy to earn normally through playing the game. Earning enough in game currency to buy a legendary hero only takes a couple weeks. Legendary heroes are not any better than lesser rarities. You start the game with a bunch of free heros and they have several heros unlocked for everyone every week. I own about 50 of the 70ish heroes and I've only played for 6ish months.
The game shits lootboxes at you but you can buy them. Lootboxes are 99% cosmetic. There is a small chance for a lootbox to contain a hero. However thats not how they are normally earned and hero prices are not balanced around this. Its more of a cool bonus.

Thats how you do lootboxes and make money without skullfucking the customer.

SCtrumpHaters fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 13, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dusty Lens posted:

How do you say "I, on the other hand, can never be wrong about this" in Xian.

Etsy cow show moma

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Let me explain by giving you examples of how BF2 is doing lootboxes versus Blizzard games Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm

BF2
60 dollar game with paid DLC
Lootboxes cost real money, are earned slowly, and give clear essential advantages in the actual game
The advantages are hard to obtain through normal play. Darth Vader takes like 40 hours of play or some poo poo.

Overwatch
60 dollar game
All new maps, gamemodes, and characters are free forever if you own the game.
Lootboxes are 100% cosmetic and earned at an okayish to poor pace (matter of opinion) in game.

Heroes of the Storm
Game is free
All new maps and gamemodes are free
New and existing heroes can be bought with real money but are very easy to earn normally through playing the game. Earning enough in game currency to buy a legendary hero only takes a couple weeks. Legendary heroes are not any better than lesser rarities. You start the game with a bunch of free heros and they have several heros unlocked for everyone every week. I own about 50 of the 70ish heroes and I've only played for 6ish months.
The game shits lootboxes at you but you can buy them. Lootboxes are 99% cosmetic. There is a small chance for a lootbox to contain a hero. However thats not how they are normally earned and hero prices are not balanced around this. Its more of a cool bonus.

Thats how you do lootboxes and make money without skullfucking the customer.

all 3 of those suck rear end, BF2 just sucks a little more rear end

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I never troll people who prefer Pepsi. The poor bastards are suffering enough.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beet Wagon posted:

In the South we try to keep it civil.

Theres only two types of people.

Those who prefer Coke........ and pedophiles.

SCtrumpHaters fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 13, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

all 3 of those suck rear end, BF2 just sucks a little more rear end

Free cosmetic loot sucks? How so? Or does all loot suck?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Gambling boxes suck, free ones suck less but they are just there to entice people into spending money, we poo poo on CIG all day for enticing mentally unwell people to spend money with shady tactics, I don't see why anyone else is exempt.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I like the shitizens that are really mad at r/starcitizen_refunds.

When Chris Roberts asked for $500,000 during the kickstarter he got $2,134,374, but that was great because he could make the game and it would be amazing.
In fact, if you add what they raised on their own website during the kickstarter period they raised $6.2 million. Then Chris Roberts said he was going to do without investors and could make the game for $14-20 million.
Reaching $20 million there was much joy, though costs and postage means they really need 23 million.
$23 million was duly raised.
The cheering was great at Games Com when Chris walked on stage to tell them they'd just broken $50 million.
According to the RSI website, they are currently on over $164 million, not counting several years worth of subscriptions.

Anyone mad about a few dozen people refunding, even if the amounts are sometimes in the thousands, is actually really worried $164 million isn't enough.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

trucutru posted:

I for one, just can't wait until I have to find a hadoken inside a lootbox before Ryu can use it in the next SF.

Actually one of the few things that are unlikely to happen. Capcom devs have been fairly against the lootbox culture. There was a recent article about MHW omitting them from it's "optionals".

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/monster-hunter-world-devs-weigh-in-on-loot-boxes/1100-6454539/

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

big nipples big life posted:

Gambling boxes suck, free ones suck less but they are just there to entice people into spending money, we poo poo on CIG all day for enticing mentally unwell people to spend money with shady tactics, I don't see why anyone else is exempt.

Who gives a poo poo about mentally unwell people in this particular situation? They'll just go buy lotto tickets, booze, whatever degenerate thing.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

I have been saying for a long time and the twitch numbers bear it out. Eve Online will be around long after scam citizen has gone the way of the dodo bird.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The fresh outrage is so great that there's no room for discussion on EA releasing Battlefront 1 for Christmas 2015 on the understanding that they would just release the actual game with content a few years later. But thanks for helping us fund the development of Battlefield you reliably idiotic Star Wars nerds.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bayonnefrog posted:

I have been saying for a long time and the twitch numbers bear it out. Eve Online will be around long after scam citizen has gone the way of the dodo bird.

Yeah, but we generally feel bad about what we did to the dodos. However, SC's taxidermied corpse will have a place of prominence in the goon trophy case.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xaerael posted:

Actually one of the few things that are unlikely to happen. Capcom devs have been fairly against the lootbox culture. There was a recent article about MHW omitting them from it's "optionals".

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/monster-hunter-world-devs-weigh-in-on-loot-boxes/1100-6454539/

If BF2 tactics are successful you'll have to find the medium kick button in a loot box in the next SF. The current one is already a financial failure so it's not like what the developers of it say counts for much.

Just remember that SF was one of the first series that tried similar poo poo in the vs Tekken game. It was just too early and hamhanded

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 13, 2017

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Quick reminder that this is what CIG encourages him to believe vanquished the Smart menace:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/930164856795402242

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: (ex-)criminals, stalkers,
harassers, and so on.

"you dirty ex-cons and stalkers over there-bad bad..over here at reddit we're the paragons of virture. Reddit is the best people ever especially SC sub reddit"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solarin posted:

0 parps, lame

No parps for you! </parp nazi>

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS56YARIzYg&t=331s

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AP posted:

I like the shitizens that are really mad at r/starcitizen_refunds.

When Chris Roberts asked for $500,000 during the kickstarter he got $2,134,374, but that was great because he could make the game and it would be amazing.
In fact, if you add what they raised on their own website during the kickstarter period they raised $6.2 million. Then Chris Roberts said he was going to do without investors and could make the game for $14-20 million.
Reaching $20 million there was much joy, though costs and postage means they really need 23 million.
$23 million was duly raised.
The cheering was great at Games Com when Chris walked on stage to tell them they'd just broken $50 million.
According to the RSI website, they are currently on over $164 million, not counting several years worth of subscriptions.

Anyone mad about a few dozen people refunding, even if the amounts are sometimes in the thousands, is actually really worried $164 million isn't enough.

No see its awful they PUBLICALLY seek refunds

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is Ben fired?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

"That idiot Churchill will be REALLY triggered by this!" thought Hitler, as he pressed the Walther PPK's muzzle to his temple.

I'm glad your family is dead Eddie.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

yes.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Wow — catching up on the thread has been breakneck reading. Beet’s reveal of the Jester / Ivan thing, Jester’s cartoon villain pulling of the ol’ switcheroo maneuver, /DS possibly going read only as the regulars cry out in protest about the horrors of Derek Smart unchained and goons triumphant...

Jester’s urgency about switching /DS to read only and hightailing to Scramsville — during what has historically been a period of relative moderation of Derek’s warlording — is especially curious. What’s that really about? Is he embarrassed by having been caught, possibly handily, playing the disinterested facilitator of the sub and eager buyer / seller or is there more to it? Has he been some sort of conduit for ship liquidation from CIG, too? His bug out / shut it down response seems extreme unless he’s worried there are other shoes to drop.

(If I’m just repeating what everyone already thinks I apologize. It just seems pretty jumpy for the guy.)

In far less provocative news, there’s a new CIG Interview at Glassdoor.

quote:

Nov 8, 2017
QA Tester Interview
Anonymous Interview Candidate

— No Offer
+ Positive Experience
—/+ Average Interview

Interview
I applied online through the company website. It took roughly a month to be invited to an interview, due to the volume of traffic.

The HR assistant mentioned it was a pear to pear interview online, but there is a test involved in finding issues. A lot of QA questioned are masked in simple interview questions. Just pay attention and you will pick up on them. I hope to have another shot in the future, as they are a great company.

Interview Questions
”Describe this pen to me.”

So he/she failed to adequately describe a pen during a pear-to-pear interview. Next time he/she will nail it, though.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

spacetoaster posted:

Is Ben fired?

i doubt they would fire ben since he's been there since the very beginning he definitely knows where the bodies are buried plus he's loyal to a fault which matters more than competence in a scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

spacetoaster posted:

Is Ben fired?

FRIED?

Ofc Ben eats fried things.