Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Turdsdown Tom posted:

POD is such a loving bastard. I have a P3 733Mhz Windows 98 rig and it barely even runs on that. Janky as hell and half the time, the car sprites just totally disappear. It's gotta be weird Windows 95 hardware that it was designed for. That, and it's based on Macromedia.

Yeah, I had the OEM version that shipped with my PMMX-200 system. I remember it even being bitchy about my P2-350 system a few years later. Apparently it's on GOG now and may have been patched there but that's not clear to me.

The other day I saw one of the classic gaming Youtubers actually use POD as a compatibility test for a K6-2 system he was messing with. It worked nicely on the Packard Bell OEM version of Windows 98 he loaded up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
If it's on GOG they usually fix any problems. They pester devs/publishers for old source code where available, or hack the executables or bundle wrappers with a lot of their games.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Yeah, games that are on both Steam and GOG tend to actually work on GoG. They put in the effort.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

c0burn posted:

If it's on GOG they usually fix any problems. They pester devs/publishers for old source code where available, or hack the executables or bundle wrappers with a lot of their games.

Or bundle it with some scene crack.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

c0burn posted:

I do feel vaguely stupid at this point because not only is it on GOG but I actually owned it there somehow already.

That said, while the game does run in GOG form it has some major sound issues and seems to ignore input configuration.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Turdsdown Tom posted:

You still can't do 3D acceleration well enough to run most games in an VM, which pretty much eliminates a solid 3-4 years of games in the late Win98 era that were leaning heavily on that new fangled 3D acceleration stuff.

Umm, you can get drat near bare metal performance.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Performance only matters when it actually works. Virtualized 3D means going through buggy translation layers with lots of holes in them.

Passing through a physical GPU avoids those problems but you need just the right setup to have new busses and old drivers that work together happily.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Idk, I played some flawless rounds of virtualized Unreal Tournament through Parallels on my 2013 iMac, no problems.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Idk, I played some flawless rounds of virtualized Unreal Tournament through Parallels on my 2013 iMac, no problems.

UT is also one of those games with a very well-written and robust engine. The actual problems are with games written lazily or hastily, with tons of assumptions about DirectX 3 and the hardware of the time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think if someone really wants to play super old games, it's a pretty reasonable use case for dual booting XP. It's like having a SNES

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would note, as a tangential side note, that that decade-old KVM bug for AMD virtualization finally got squashed, in case anyone was considering that route, or some other permutation of OSes on Linux.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dylan16807 posted:

Performance only matters when it actually works. Virtualized 3D means going through buggy translation layers with lots of holes in them.

Passing through a physical GPU avoids those problems but you need just the right setup to have new busses and old drivers that work together happily.

It's not nearly as difficult as you're making it out to be. Anyway who care.. :)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

How do you get to that Custom Scaling screen though?

I tried searching but it doesn't come up, and I can't find the path to navigate to it.

fishmech posted:

I got to it from the normal display screen near where it shows the default settings.

Looks like the most recent major update added it. I have the option now so all good.

I think I'll leave it as-is for now in case the update also fixed my wonky scaling, but if I experience it again then I'll definitely use the Custom Scaling trick.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

Oh wait, I just remembered I was getting that error on some upgraded HPs at work. It turned out to be the size of the System Reserved partition wasn't updated properly in the upgrade. It would fart out and still have the 100MB that Windows 7 was happy with, but then error out on boot because Windows 10 wasn't able to fit all of its required boot poo poo in there. If you can get to a partitioning thing, try extending it to 500MB then running startup repair.

Thanks. You might've been on to something. When it was automatically creating partitions from unallocated memory, it created 4 new partitions:
500 mb recovery
100 mb system
16 mb msr (reserved)
930.9 gb primary

If I instead created a general ~1 tb partition from unallocated space and tried to install windows, it would automatically create a 500 mb system partition. It still wouldn't work, so I decided to run memtest86 based off of googling the resulting bsod error codes.

It looks like it might be a hardware issue. I think I'm going to run this program on all of my memory dimms individually.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm looking for a program that can monitor how much network traffic each process on the system is consuming, and record that data for a while, and let me view total data over a time period. There's a place in the settings app where I can see this, but it's limited to only 30 days.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Has anyone else's Bluetooth adapter stopped working since the Fall Creators Update? Mine was fine before, but now it's coming up as an unknown device in the device manager and none of the various drivers for it are getting it to be recognized. They install fine as if they see the hardware, but then it still shows as an unknown device.

I'm just wondering if this could be a problem with the update or if the adapter on my motherboard is somehow in the process of dying. It's the built-in module on an ASUS P8P67 Pro, so it's around 6 years old at this point. I don't really want to put myself in debt for new hardware yet, but this kind of thing along with flagging performance from my (overclocked) 2500K is making me consider an upgrade.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

VostokProgram posted:

I'm looking for a program that can monitor how much network traffic each process on the system is consuming, and record that data for a while, and let me view total data over a time period. There's a place in the settings app where I can see this, but it's limited to only 30 days.

performance monitor?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Factor Mystic posted:

performance monitor?

Well, how do I use this?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So is anyone else having framerate issues in games after the creative update this morning? I have a GTX 1070 and games that ran fine are now looking stturery

astral
Apr 26, 2004

AcidRonin posted:

So is anyone else having framerate issues in games after the creative update this morning? I have a GTX 1070 and games that ran fine are now looking stturery

assuming 'creative' means 'fall creators update': do you maybe need to (re)install your graphics drivers after installing your operating system upgrade?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

VostokProgram posted:

I've never used this, but I think GlassWire can do what you want, but it's a Firewall, or a frontend for Windows own Firewall, it also has features locked behind a paywall, the ones you probably want, but hey, it's on sale at least.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For a little bit, I'm stuck on a Core2-Duo running W10 with 4 gigs of ram; it seems like Edge and Chrome are far and away better browsers re: memory management compared to Firefox? I had one Firefox tab opened watching a youtube video and it was apparently using 1.2gigs of memory :stare:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

For a little bit, I'm stuck on a Core2-Duo running W10 with 4 gigs of ram; it seems like Edge and Chrome are far and away better browsers re: memory management compared to Firefox? I had one Firefox tab opened watching a youtube video and it was apparently using 1.2gigs of memory :stare:

I'd say something is weird with your particular install. Probably an extension or plugin.

I don't use Firefox day to day but I have it installed, I just fired it up and clicked randomly on the Youtube homepage. I'm watching a NFL highlight video at 720p and it's floating in the mid-400MB range.

edit: Firefox 56.0.2 x64

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GobiasIndustries posted:

Give FireFox Quantum beta a try. It will just pick up your current settings/bookmarks. It's a hell of a lot faster than old FF.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Stanley Pain posted:

evidently not with SWAT 3 or the original Ghost Recon, both of which are baller as gently caress and basically unplayable in a VM

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why is it that Defender scans are finishing up faster and faster? it used to scan 140k~ + items in one full scan, but now its only scanning about 40-20k items in a full scan?

edit: Nevermind, updating solved the problem

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 9, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I thought I would try out Edge but I can't save passwords with it.

Group Policy doesn't seem to be blocking that option.

Any ideas?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Edge is garbage so you're already ahead. I don't have anything useful to say about your issue.

mystes
May 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Any ideas?
Considering how half-baked Edge is, I'm just going to pretend that this is because they haven't gotten around to implementing this functionality yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So our current internet browsing choices consist of choosing between which flavour of poo poo we feel like eating tonight?

EDIT: Thought I was still in the Firefox thread.

Holy Haze
Nov 10, 2017

~Coxy posted:

Any ideas?

Check
code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main
Change value of FormSuggest Passwords to on

edit: edge is garbage

Holy Haze fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 10, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

mystes posted:

Considering how half-baked Edge is, I'm just going to pretend that this is because they haven't gotten around to implementing this functionality yet.

But they're already on version 41, how can it be still a half-baked piece of crap :confused:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

But they're already on version 41, how can it be still a half-baked piece of crap :confused:

It's not hard to get to version 41 while still being incomplete if you catch the Chrome disease and increment your version number every single build.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?
Has anyone else come across this issue: a brand new install of Win10 1709 in a VM. However, most of the trusted root certificates for the internet are missing, so that almost every site on the web gives me a certificate error with an untrusted root CA as the issue. This even includes Microsoft's own website rear end well as Google and Mozilla, so I can't download Chrome or Firefox to try and get around this.

It's massively irritating and a Google search has failed to come up with any solution. Apparently trusted CA certs are pushed out via Windows Update but I can't find the one I need published for download anywhere.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is there any way to disable Suggested Meetings and Found Events in Outlook 365?

Everything I can find on Google seems to say that they should be listed in Options > Add-ins, but they're not, and I think that may only be in older versions.

It's getting annoying seeing half of my reading pane taken up by popup "HEY I FOUND THIS EVENT THAT IS LITERALLY THE ONLY THING THIS EMAIL IS ABOUT, I'LL ADD IT TO YOUR CALENDAR BUT ALSO JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW I FOUND IT" messages:

And the "let's turn the whole email into links" thing:

Not using O365 is sadly not an option as it's my company's choice, and IT has no ideas how to fix it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Mr Crucial posted:

Has anyone else come across this issue: a brand new install of Win10 1709 in a VM. However, most of the trusted root certificates for the internet are missing, so that almost every site on the web gives me a certificate error with an untrusted root CA as the issue. This even includes Microsoft's own website rear end well as Google and Mozilla, so I can't download Chrome or Firefox to try and get around this.

It's massively irritating and a Google search has failed to come up with any solution. Apparently trusted CA certs are pushed out via Windows Update but I can't find the one I need published for download anywhere.

Root CAs come through an automatic routine that runs daily or Windows Update failing that. The root trusts ship pre-loaded regardless. Neither of those would function if your trusts were wiped out. Either your image is tampered with or something else that was installed wiped it out post-install.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mr Crucial posted:

Did you check what the untrusted root CA was? You're quite likely getting MITMed by something, usually a third-party antivirus.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Root CAs come through an automatic routine that runs daily or Windows Update failing that. The root trusts ship pre-loaded regardless. Neither of those would function if your trusts were wiped out. Either your image is tampered with or something else that was installed wiped it out post-install.

astral posted:

Did you check what the untrusted root CA was? You're quite likely getting MITMed by something, usually a third-party antivirus.

This was a fresh download of the ISO from Microsoft, and I didn't install any software at all other than VMWare tools (a possible culprit) and the latest round of updates. Looking at my working Win 10 machine it has around 50ish root certs in there, whilst the non-working one only has about 12 - it's missing the major CAs like Verisign, Thawte, Geosign etc. Somehow during the course of running the installation the root certs just haven't been added.

I guess I'll leave it for a day or two and see if it fixes itself through auto updates.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Mr Crucial posted:

This was a fresh download of the ISO from Microsoft, and I didn't install any software at all other than VMWare tools (a possible culprit) and the latest round of updates. Looking at my working Win 10 machine it has around 50ish root certs in there, whilst the non-working one only has about 12 - it's missing the major CAs like Verisign, Thawte, Geosign etc. Somehow during the course of running the installation the root certs just haven't been added.

I guess I'll leave it for a day or two and see if it fixes itself through auto updates.

It's not like you have anything to lose by doing a fresh install again (preferably with a newly downloaded ISO). Who knows what else is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mr Crucial posted:

Corrupted download would be my guess then. I'd give it a redownload and reinstall.