Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Attention CIG peon in charge of reading this thread: Remember this picture when your paycheck finally bounces.

edit: Remember this picture as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Percelus posted:

i doubt they would fire ben since he's been there since the very beginning he definitely knows where the bodies are buried plus he's loyal to a fault which matters more than competence in a scam

quote:

I'm going to get a weekend where I can just sit in my chair with a bottle of Scotch and some M&Ms for two days.
- Ben Lesnick

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Percelus posted:

i doubt they would fire ben since he's been there since the very beginning he definitely knows where the bodies are buried plus he's loyal to a fault which matters more than competence in a scam

I'm not so sure Lesnick knows anything. It would be easy to distract him at any time by throwing a donut or Wing Commander CD across the room.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

So he/she failed to adequately describe a pen during a pear-to-pear interview. Next time he/she will nail it, though.

The nib is hand formed in 18-carat gold, contains military grade ink. The barrel is carved from Banu aromatic sandalwood. The pen is presented in a number limited edition wooden case, come with a brochure for the lucky purchaser or recipient. The discerning purchaser can also have the pen emblazoned with a custom phrase in Latin, a tidy $2,000 price tag.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

SCtrumpHaters posted:

In the South we try to keep it civil.

Theres only two types of people.

Those who prefer Coke........ and pedophiles.

Dr. Pepper better than all of 'em

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If they wanted to get rid of Ben without firing him I'm sure they would start wearing him down emotionally and professionally by stripping away responsibilities and roles due to consistent failure to meet impossible expectations set by the people determined to make him fail himself out of the company.

But AFAIK there hasn't been any sign of that happening.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Is Ben fired?

His Mrs is on their video uploaded today, it's a risk firing him and leaving her there. So I'd assume things are still playing out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

big nipples big life posted:

Gambling boxes suck, free ones suck less but they are just there to entice people into spending money, we poo poo on CIG all day for enticing mentally unwell people to spend money with shady tactics, I don't see why anyone else is exempt.

It’s a greasy tactic, but I bet there are a crapton of Gen X and Boomer CIG whales probably feeling pretty drat tempted to scoop up BF2’s ultimate unlock package and so they can have a playable P2W Space Game this season.

They only have drop a pittance and FINALLY they can be space gaming and pew-peeing at 50 FPS in 4k as an overpowered from day one Hero in an ever-expanding universe. It’s a small price to pay, really, for the chance they spent a huge price to pay not to get.

AP posted:

The nib is hand formed in 18-carat gold, contains military grade ink. The barrel is carved from Banu aromatic sandalwood. The pen is presented in a number limited edition wooden case, come with a brochure for the lucky purchaser or recipient. The discerning purchaser can also have the pen emblazoned with a custom phrase in Latin, a tidy $2,000 price tag.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bayonnefrog posted:

:frogout:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

AP posted:

:golfclap:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bayonnefrog posted:

I regret ordering one when I visited the US this summer. It seriously made me feel like vomiting, so I suppose in that regard it is equal to pedos.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

I regret ordering one when I visited the US this summer. It seriously made me feel like vomiting.

It's all horrible sugar water.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

I like the shitizens that are really mad at r/starcitizen_refunds.

When Chris Roberts asked for $500,000 during the kickstarter he got $2,134,374, but that was great because he could make the game and it would be amazing.
In fact, if you add what they raised on their own website during the kickstarter period they raised $6.2 million. Then Chris Roberts said he was going to do without investors and could make the game for $14-20 million.
Reaching $20 million there was much joy, though costs and postage means they really need 23 million.
$23 million was duly raised.
The cheering was great at Games Com when Chris walked on stage to tell them they'd just broken $50 million.
According to the RSI website, they are currently on over $164 million, not counting several years worth of subscriptions.

Anyone mad about a few dozen people refunding, even if the amounts are sometimes in the thousands, is actually really worried $164 million isn't enough.

It's one of my favorite parts of this whole thing. The whole bottom half of the meta thread over there is people crying about "how come /refunds isn't going read-only?"

Uhhhh.... cause we actually discuss refunds there instead of writing murder fanfiction about a stranger.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

Thank you, my friend. It's not easy, for sure, at least not if you're a weirdo brokebrain like me. I can think of at least a handful of recent instances where someone was attacking not just an opinion I had stated but basically me as a person, and those times it's really hard to be like "You know what? Go gently caress yourself, I'm gonna go have dinner with my wife instead of caring about this." but honestly it's incredibly freeing.

XK put it nicely:

Just sounds like you guys aren't very good at internet arguing. Remember, people rarely admit defeat on the internet, so your main goal is to make your opponent look stupid.

Here's a page out of the playbook:

Step 1. State your case and provide evidence for the things you say (this is by far the most time-consuming part). If you're handwaving or paraphrasing and don't cite sources, you're loving up.
Pro Tip: Focus on one topic and keep things succinct. If you go too wide, you'll get picked apart.

Step 2a. If the person responds emotionally and ignores the evidence, call attention to their emotion, re-state the evidence in polite but condescending way, with just a vague hint that they're subnormal, and inform them that the burden of proof lies on them to counter your evidence. This can go back and forth as they get more and more triggered and your replies feed the meltdown. Cut it off quickly otherwise you look like a bully. Move to 3.

Step 2b. If the person tries to discredit your evidence but fails, you win. Explain their failure in a general way (not point-by-point). Be polite but condescending. Wait for their reply, then move to 3.
Pro tip: Never get into multi-quote point-by-point rebuttal mode. If they've chopped up your argument and replied to each one, don't reply to each one. They'll turn the argument into semantics about the minutiae and your broader argument will be lost. Just keep putting the onus on them to disprove your source(s). Imply they haven't read or understood the evidence.

Step 2c. If the person succeeds in discrediting your evidence, you're done. Admit it and thank them for correcting you, otherwise you're no better than LogicalChimp.

Step 3. Attempt to terminate the conversation. Be slightly deferent, offer an olive branch. 9/10 times they won't take it. Something like "I've given you every opportunity to counter the evidence, and you can't, so it looks like we're done here. Thanks for the discussion, I hope it was helpful."

Step 4. If they reply with a "gently caress you" or "why are you even here if you hate the game so much" or "why don't you just get a refund?" or suchlike, this is your chance for a coup-de-grace. Use it wisely, then make very clear that this is your last response and the conversation is over. Giving them life advice works well. Or you can point out that they're trolling, which is especially effective if they've been accusing you of trolling.

I like arguing, it's a stupid game to me, like table tennis. Of course, the number one key is never get angry. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sunswipe posted:

I never troll people who prefer Pepsi. The poor bastards are suffering enough.

I've never met one.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beet Wagon posted:

It's one of my favorite parts of this whole thing. The whole bottom half of the meta thread over there is people crying about "how come /refunds isn't going read-only?"

Uhhhh.... cause we actually discuss refunds there instead of writing murder fanfiction about a stranger.

My favorite part about claiming r/ds is an archive? Is that it will be used as an archive in the case of Derek Smart vs the people making money off of a harassment campaign.

Good luck trying to nuke it from orbit, Jester! I'm sure it will all work out!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

I can think of at least a handful of recent instances where someone was attacking not just an opinion I had stated but basically me as a person.

Ad-Hominem is the number one tactic that Star Citizen fanatics almost always instantly resort to. The trick is knowing you've already won, and just exiting the conversation with polite but condescending language, then don't reply.

In college I got into a debate about communism, and I wouldn't back down even though I was drowning in evidence. They guy said "Ok, I can tell you're just not capable of being open-minded about this, we're done." and walked away, which was viscerally infuriating and highly effective.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

I like arguing, it's a stupid game to me, like table tennis. Of course, the number one key is never get angry. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun!

Step 2c is like a secret weapon.

I like saying I was wrong when I was wrong, most people really don't know how to react and end up getting annoyed for no reason.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AP posted:

Step 2c is like a secret weapon.

I like saying I was wrong when I was wrong, most people really don't know how to react and end up getting annoyed for no reason.

Oh yeah same here. The cornerstone of winning an internet argument is ending it on your terms. Politely admitting you're wrong (or if it spirals into a subjective opinion battle, simply admitting a difference of opinion and cutting it off), goes a long way towards winning you respect in the community as well.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

Wow — catching up on the thread has been breakneck reading. Beet’s reveal of the Jester / Ivan thing, Jester’s cartoon villain pulling of the ol’ switcheroo maneuver, /DS possibly going read only as the regulars cry out in protest about the horrors of Derek Smart unchained and goons triumphant...

Jester’s urgency about switching /DS to read only and hightailing to Scramsville — during what has historically been a period of relative moderation of Derek’s warlording — is especially curious. What’s that really about? Is he embarrassed by having been caught, possibly handily, playing the disinterested facilitator of the sub and eager buyer / seller or is there more to it? Has he been some sort of conduit for ship liquidation from CIG, too? His bug out / shut it down response seems extreme unless he’s worried there are other shoes to drop.

(If I’m just repeating what everyone already thinks I apologize. It just seems pretty jumpy for the guy.)

In far less provocative news, there’s a new CIG Interview at Glassdoor.

So he/she failed to adequately describe a pen during a pear-to-pear interview. Next time he/she will nail it, though.

I feel like there are a few more fidelities to spill out of this Jester thing yet, and that's because OSC spilled the beans on Derek having linked some r/ds accounts to RSI staff.

I don't know what to make of that interview question, that's some Holywood pretentious load of old poo poo right there.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Toops posted:

Just sounds like you guys aren't very good at internet arguing. Remember, people rarely admit defeat on the internet, so your main goal is to make your opponent look stupid.

Step 1. State your case and provide evidence for the things you say (this is by far the most time-consuming part). If you're handwaving or paraphrasing and don't cite sources, you're loving up.
Pro Tip: Focus on one topic and keep things succinct. If you go too wide, you'll get picked apart.

Step 2a. If the person responds emotionally and ignores the evidence, call attention to their emotion, re-state the evidence in polite but condescending way, with just a vague hint that they're subnormal, and inform them that the burden of proof lies on them to counter your evidence. This can go back and forth as they get more and more triggered and your replies feed the meltdown. Cut it off quickly otherwise you look like a bully. Move to 3.

Step 2b. If the person tries to discredit your evidence but fails, you win. Explain their failure in a general way (not point-by-point). Be polite but condescending. Wait for their reply, then move to 3.
Pro tip: Never get into multi-quote point-by-point rebuttal mode. If they've chopped up your argument and replied to each one, don't reply to each one. They'll turn the argument into semantics about the minutiae and your broader argument will be lost. Just keep putting the onus on them to disprove your source(s). Imply they haven't read or understood the evidence.

Step 2c. If the person succeeds in discrediting your evidence, you're done. Admit it and thank them for correcting you, otherwise you're no better than LogicalChimp.

Step 3. Attempt to terminate the conversation. Be slightly deferent, offer an olive branch. 9/10 times they won't take it. Something like "I've given you every opportunity to counter the evidence, and you can't, so it looks like we're done here. Thanks for the discussion, I hope it was helpful."

Step 4. If they reply with a "gently caress you" or "why are you even here if you hate the game so much" or "why don't you just get a refund?" or suchlike, this is your chance for a coup-de-grace. Use it wisely, then make very clear that this is your last response and the conversation is over. Giving them life advice works well. Or you can point out that they're trolling, which is especially effective if they've been accusing you of trolling.

Step 0. Acquire a vape and Ritalin prescription

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

Oh yeah same here. The cornerstone of winning an internet argument is ending it on your terms. Politely admitting you're wrong (or if it spirals into a subjective opinion battle, simply admitting a difference of opinion and cutting it off), goes a long way towards winning you respect in the community as well.

I'm actually p okay at the argument part, especially if I've definitely lost. I've never had a problem going "Well, poo poo, I mean...you got me." I just have (had) a problem not having the last word if someone else was intent on being a shitheel. Internet arguments can be fun for sure, but I just took a long look at it and realized it wasn't a skill worth enough to let occupy space in my brain the way it was.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

I'm prepared to bet that they collectively couldn't spell "DOUBLE STANDARDS"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

CIG HR cribbing interview notes from the greats, I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Xx7PAiqY8

I mean I know this is a reasonably common question, I've been asked it myself. But considering I remember something about Sandi also being in charge of HR it's still not unfunny.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hey guys...

Guys....

Hey....

Remember that time when Chris Roberts said 3.0 would be out for xmas 2016?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF posted:

It’s a greasy tactic, but I bet there are a crapton of Gen X and Boomer CIG whales probably feeling pretty drat tempted to scoop up BF2’s ultimate unlock package and so they can have a playable P2W Space Game this season.

They only have drop a pittance and FINALLY they can be space gaming and pew-peeing at 50 FPS in 4k as an overpowered from day one Hero in an ever-expanding universe. It’s a small price to pay, really, for the chance they spent a huge price to pay not to get.

:lol::lol::lol:

only 40 hours to unlock darth vader (oops typo 40 hours) in a game you just spent 60-150 bucks on.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

all these internet arguments are redundant when you could just spit five thousand words of fire a time, deny ever being wrong, claim to have been right since last july and just become an INTERNET WARLORD

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

That's a really long way to type "Star Citizen is never coming out."

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

Gambling boxes suck, free ones suck less but they are just there to entice people into spending money, we poo poo on CIG all day for enticing mentally unwell people to spend money with shady tactics, I don't see why anyone else is exempt.
You say that now but have you seen how cool I look in TF2?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

You say that now but have you seen how cool I look in TF2?
By the way someone has a TF2 backpack worth over $200,000.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

While we're playing catchup what phase of the ELE are we on? I stopped following for about a year or so.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Toops posted:

I see, I see. So, where can I sign up for the weekly newsletter?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

That's a really long way to type "Star Citizen is never coming out."

There's a right way and a wrong way and then there's the warlord way.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Dusty Lens posted:

While we're playing catchup what phase of the ELE are we on? I stopped following for about a year or so.

Schroedinger's ELE. It's happening, but not simultaneously.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/MPKum6Z.gifv

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

THIS.

Making the refund sub read-only is counter productive when each refund (which is done in a case by case basis) has a different set of criteria and requires asking for help. They are flailing at anything and honestly feel like the victims in all of this. But what burns their pimple infested collective rear end is that they view this as Derek Smart and Goons winning once again. They have yet to figure out that the rest of the Reddit general population thinks they are cancer and wonder why they are run out of town everywhere they post except for their safe place. For me, the real fun will be what they do AFTER it's shut down. Because none of them can control their impulses to poo poo the bed and go too far without a jackbooted mod to keep them in line. Sort of like Iraq in a way once Saddam was removed if you think about it. Sure it was a humanitarian shithole, but look what happened when the Warden got removed.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

DapperDon posted:

THIS.

Making the refund sub read-only is counter productive when each refund (which is done in a case by case basis) has a different set of criteria and requires asking for help. They are flailing at anything and honestly feel like the victims in all of this. But what burns their pimple infested collective rear end is that they view this as Derek Smart and Goons winning once again. They have yet to figure out that the rest of the Reddit general population thinks they are cancer and wonder why they are run out of town everywhere they post except for their safe place. For me, the real fun will be what they do AFTER it's shut down. Because none of them can control their impulses to poo poo the bed and go too far without a jackbooted mod to keep them in line. Sort of like Iraq in a way once Saddam was removed if you think about it. Sure it was a humanitarian shithole, but look what happened when the Warden got removed.

Sounds like it's time for TouchdownTim to step up and be the jackbooted mod r/DS needs

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

Nahhh, the main goal is to make your opponent raving mad without using a single insult. If you make them look stupid while doing it then fine, but having the "logical" guys start cursing at you is the best feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Please don't argue on the internet. It's really dumb.