Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Dusty Lens posted:

While we're playing catchup what phase of the ELE are we on? I stopped following for about a year or so.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3J8FYKZ52w

dammit, third cat snipe

Strangler 42 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

LOL! I'm not reading that.

http://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AKyrhEJwzs1AuptpOlUl

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dusty Lens posted:

While we're playing catchup what phase of the ELE are we on? I stopped following for about a year or so.

3.0p

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

:perfect:

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Golli posted:

Sounds like it's time for TouchdownTim to step up and be the jackbooted mod r/DS needs

Just talked with and he says he already has 3 different strains of AIDS so a dose of hepatitis isn't necessary with his power levels being so high.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mr Fronts posted:

On the day of Eva's 17th birthday, Tess took her to the UEE enlistment office, where she clipped through a wall, found herself in a near-vacuum without needing a space suit, was was killed by a ramp, woke up alive in a wank pod with her wrists doubled back against her now-bendy elbows, screamed, appeared in space for no reason and then died.

The End.

Stealing this for my new character bio.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

AP posted:

His Mrs is on their video uploaded today, it's a risk firing him and leaving her there. So I'd assume things are still playing out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xS56YARIzYg

Ben hosted the show this week. I think that's usually Lando's job.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thoatse posted:

There's a right way and a wrong way and then there's the warlord way.

I think the most important question is...how would one translate "Internet Warlord" into Xi'an?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think the most important question is...how would one translate "Internet Warlord" into Xi'an?

Ta'ne.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: (ex-)criminals, stalkers,
harassers, and so on.

Oh shoot. I’ve never been called out before as an ex-criminal, stalker and harasser before. :(

But did he mention motorcycle gangs? I’ve never drove a motorcycle but I think I can definitely fit into the mold.

By the way, my black cape came in the other day and I’m thinking about wearing it to the EvilCon next week when we discuss how to destroy Christmas (and Star Citizen), but do you think it would clash more with my black boots with the silver horns or red boots with the gold chains and skulls?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

THIS.

Making the refund sub read-only is counter productive when each refund (which is done in a case by case basis) has a different set of criteria and requires asking for help. They are flailing at anything and honestly feel like the victims in all of this. But what burns their pimple infested collective rear end is that they view this as Derek Smart and Goons winning once again. They have yet to figure out that the rest of the Reddit general population thinks they are cancer and wonder why they are run out of town everywhere they post except for their safe place. For me, the real fun will be what they do AFTER it's shut down. Because none of them can control their impulses to poo poo the bed and go too far without a jackbooted mod to keep them in line. Sort of like Iraq in a way once Saddam was removed if you think about it. Sure it was a humanitarian shithole, but look what happened when the Warden got removed.

Tarkaroshe trying to rules-lawyer his way into convincing me that discussing Star Citizen is clearly against the rules of a subreddit that says "PLEASE DO: Discuss about Star Citizen" in the sidebar is the highlight of my night and will keep my comedy furnace stoked for days to come.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

The Titanic posted:

Oh shoot. I’ve never been called out before as an ex-criminal, stalker and harasser before. :(

But did he mention motorcycle gangs? I’ve never drove a motorcycle but I think I can definitely fit into the mold.

By the way, my black cape came in the other day and I’m thinking about wearing it to the EvilCon next week when we discuss how to destroy Christmas (and Star Citizen), but do you think it would clash more with my black boots with the silver horns or red boots with the gold chains and skulls?

As long as you get the evil laugh right, you should be good to go.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

Just sounds like you guys aren't very good at internet arguing. Remember, people rarely admit defeat on the internet, so your main goal is to make your opponent look stupid.

Here's a page out of the playbook:

Step 1. State your case and provide evidence for the things you say (this is by far the most time-consuming part). If you're handwaving or paraphrasing and don't cite sources, you're loving up.
Pro Tip: Focus on one topic and keep things succinct. If you go too wide, you'll get picked apart.

Step 2a. If the person responds emotionally and ignores the evidence, call attention to their emotion, re-state the evidence in polite but condescending way, with just a vague hint that they're subnormal, and inform them that the burden of proof lies on them to counter your evidence. This can go back and forth as they get more and more triggered and your replies feed the meltdown. Cut it off quickly otherwise you look like a bully. Move to 3.

Step 2b. If the person tries to discredit your evidence but fails, you win. Explain their failure in a general way (not point-by-point). Be polite but condescending. Wait for their reply, then move to 3.
Pro tip: Never get into multi-quote point-by-point rebuttal mode. If they've chopped up your argument and replied to each one, don't reply to each one. They'll turn the argument into semantics about the minutiae and your broader argument will be lost. Just keep putting the onus on them to disprove your source(s). Imply they haven't read or understood the evidence.

Step 2c. If the person succeeds in discrediting your evidence, you're done. Admit it and thank them for correcting you, otherwise you're no better than LogicalChimp.

Step 3. Attempt to terminate the conversation. Be slightly deferent, offer an olive branch. 9/10 times they won't take it. Something like "I've given you every opportunity to counter the evidence, and you can't, so it looks like we're done here. Thanks for the discussion, I hope it was helpful."

Step 4. If they reply with a "gently caress you" or "why are you even here if you hate the game so much" or "why don't you just get a refund?" or suchlike, this is your chance for a coup-de-grace. Use it wisely, then make very clear that this is your last response and the conversation is over. Giving them life advice works well. Or you can point out that they're trolling, which is especially effective if they've been accusing you of trolling.

I like arguing, it's a stupid game to me, like table tennis. Of course, the number one key is never get angry. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun!

Mine is simple.
See a wall of text, read none of it (this is important) - reply to the wall of text with 'You are wrong'
When you notice an alert on reddit go see what it is, it'll be that nerd writing another huge wall of text, this time with shitloads of links to 'back up my points with evidence' or whatever, it doesn't matter, do not read this post either (this part is important)
Reply with 'doesn't matter how many words you type, you are still wrong on every level'
Then just ignore the next alert and go about your day. they'll probably reply but gently caress it, whatever.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Could someone explain this as I don't speak Citizen.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MilesK posted:

Ben hosted the show this week. I think that's usually Lando's job.

ha, I skipped most of it and didn't notice.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

MilesK posted:

Please don't argue on the internet. It's really dumb.

It's really not.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Dooguk posted:

I believe it's saying that customer service reps are locking ships to accounts and preventing them from being turned into store credit or gifted to another account.

What that has to do with ship sales is beyond me. While I know that the process is pretty streamlined at this case I can't imagine that funds are being transferred beyond the hands of a middleman without some assurance that the ship itself can be moved.

That's why you use a middleman.

CIG loved shipsales back in the day as it presented not only a kind of safety valve for people contemplating dropping real cash (oh boy I can just flip it for a profit later) but really provided a sense of confidence in giving someone insane amounts of money amounted to some kind of investment that could be withdrawn from. For a long while now they've been making increasingly obvious movements towards viewing that collective pool of store credit as toxic and counter productive to bringing in new cash. So maybe they're adding additional obstacles to people being able to melt ships for credit?

Either way it's good news for Star Citizen.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Dooguk posted:

People who thought its cool to trade pictures of space chariots for real money from internet strangers get their digital grey market goods deleted under their rear end.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dooguk posted:

The methodology they have for trading ships between players is a (intentionally, probably) massive clusterfuck that makes it extremely difficult to keep track of where any one individual's money has ended up. Previously this was used as an excuse to delay refunds or reduce the amount of money you were allowed to be refunded, effectively enticing people into refunding by selling their ships on the grey market instead and keeping the money locked into the project.

This is the first I've ever seen/heard of locked ships, so my bet is that they hired some new CSR people (after promoting the old CSR people to project managers, lead developers and CTOs) who just refunded people post-citcon based on "amount of money it says they paid us" and now they're having to scramble to figure out who actually owns the ships they just refunded.

If this is the case, then this is probably going to be absolutely hilarious as people who've traded in the past will likely have ships they traded for years ago suddenly ripped out of their accounts because some dude they haven't talked to in years submitted for a refund. This would be the greediest/dumbest possible way of going about it for CIG (as opposed to eating the "cost" of letting people hold onto their digital ship pictures), and would likely kill the grey market entirely as nobody would be able to trust that any trade they make going forward would actually stay in their account. And this is happening as jester is shutting down r/ds because he wants to keep his grey market alt account alive and kicking.

:allears:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS LOCKING SHIP ACCOUNTS THAT USE THE GREY MARKET WHILE THEY COOPERATE WITH REDDIT TO INVESTIGATE COLLUSION CHARGES! EVERYBODY REMAIN CALM!

(hopefully LOL)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If CIG put a policy in place that locks down any ships that moved through an account that has since been refunded or otherwise closed that is going to be insanely hilarious.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

I think I've only ever PMed the mods of /r/ds one time, and that was just as a courtesy to let them know I'd be banning their users brigading /refunds :shrug: If I had to guess what Jester was talking about here it'd be the general claims of death threats that float around, not so much any actual death threats reported to the mods or made to the mods. Also, Derek basically hates me, so I feel pretty safe in saying I'm innocent of whatever stupid charges they're leveling against this mysterious "crew" lol

No he doesn't. I asked him; but he blocked me.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks for the explanations guys.

I like a good drama unfolding.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
On second thought, it could just literally be "someone bought a bunch of ships, traded them, and then issued a chargeback for them" which is probably the simpler explanation. but I like my first idea better

:iiam:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That lying poo poo stain. Of course he has the controls. Look, see?

----------------

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The methodology they have for trading ships between players is a (intentionally, probably) massive clusterfuck that makes it extremely difficult to keep track of where any one individual's money has ended up. Previously this was used as an excuse to delay refunds or reduce the amount of money you were allowed to be refunded, effectively enticing people into refunding by selling their ships on the grey market instead and keeping the money locked into the project.

This is the first I've ever seen/heard of locked ships, so my bet is that they hired some new CSR people (after promoting the old CSR people to project managers, lead developers and CTOs) who just refunded people post-citcon based on "amount of money it says they paid us" and now they're having to scramble to figure out who actually owns the ships they just refunded.

If this is the case, then this is probably going to be absolutely hilarious as people who've traded in the past will likely have ships they traded for years ago suddenly ripped out of their accounts because some dude they haven't talked to in years submitted for a refund. This would be the greediest/dumbest possible way of going about it for CIG (as opposed to eating the "cost" of letting people hold onto their digital ship pictures), and would likely kill the grey market entirely as nobody would be able to trust that any trade they make going forward would actually stay in their account. And this is happening as jester is shutting down r/ds because he wants to keep his grey market alt account alive and kicking.

Something similar happened once before, some Star Citizen whale was deployed and sold most of his ships before he went, his mate had access to the account and reported many spaceship thefts. CIG removed the scattered fleet from numerous accounts without saying anything to anyone. Massive drama results, that's how I remember it anyway.

Given how long this trading stuff has been going on I'd suspect credit card fraud this time and they are locking them till they decide what to do. They normally only refund the value on the account, is the only reason I don't think it's a refund thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dusty Lens posted:

If CIG put a policy in place that locks down any ships that moved through an account that has since been refunded or otherwise closed that is going to be insanely hilarious.

They do the opposite of this last I heard--

1. You buy $100 worth of jpegs
2. You trade a $50 jpeg to someone else's account in exchange for their $30 jpeg
3. You request a refund
4. They investigate, say "you're only entitled to $50 of refunds"
5. You accept, they close your account, the $30 jpeg you traded for isn't yours to refund and just disappears into the ether

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They do the opposite of this last I heard--

1. You buy $100 worth of jpegs
2. You trade a $50 jpeg to someone else's account in exchange for their $30 jpeg
3. You request a refund
4. They investigate, say "you're only entitled to $50 of refunds"
5. You accept, they close your account, the $30 jpeg you traded for isn't yours to refund and just disappears into the ether

That seems to be accurate. A friend finally secured a refund on his second attempt and, at best, they refunded the dollar value of anything he had that was original to his account and not gifted. Gifted ships apparently just vanish in a puff of smoke and the original purchaser gets nothing. From what I can tell other people have relayed similar experiences.

I'm curious if they're altering the deal. Much like they did when they shifted over to single time gift pledges.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

you have to actively ask the CSR to return the ships to the original owner, which of course doesnt work all the time.

also funny enough if they leave your account open after a refund and you acquire gifts from friends (grey market or legit gifts) CIG still considers your account worthless and will close it at any point if they feel like it

ask me how i know...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Tarkaroshe trying to rules-lawyer his way into convincing me that discussing Star Citizen is clearly against the rules of a subreddit that says "PLEASE DO: Discuss about Star Citizen" in the sidebar is the highlight of my night and will keep my comedy furnace stoked for days to come.

Tarkaroshe has a special place in my heart since he tried to argue that he knows me better than myself.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
From top to bottom every single aspect of this project is hosed

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dooguk posted:

As long as you get the evil laugh right, you should be good to go.

Uh oh. My evil laugh is more like a “teeheeheehaa” but it’s not necessarily the laugh, it’s what I’m laughing at. Which is the absolute misery of others wanting a video game that won’t come out.

So you can immediately tell I’m definitely way on the upper end of “pure evil” instead of that basic stuff.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

The nib is hand formed in 18-carat gold, contains military grade ink. The barrel is carved from Banu aromatic sandalwood. The pen is presented in a number limited edition wooden case, come with a brochure for the lucky purchaser or recipient. The discerning purchaser can also have the pen emblazoned with a custom phrase in Latin, a tidy $2,000 price tag.

:five::five::five:

----------------

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

That seems to be accurate. A friend finally secured a refund on his second attempt and, at best, they refunded the dollar value of anything he had that was original to his account and not gifted. Gifted ships apparently just vanish in a puff of smoke and the original purchaser gets nothing. From what I can tell other people have relayed similar experiences.

I'm curious if they're altering the deal. Much like they did when they shifted over to single time gift pledges.

They won't do this if pushed on it, they will offer to put gifted ships into a new account if closing your account and value is over what you paid (credit on account > spent).

They have refused to refund gifted ships but seem to have stopped doing that recently, they'd give in on that too if pushed (as long as total you've spent is equal to or more than the refund amount). In the past they've also returned gifted ships to the original owner. You can even get subscriptions refunded if you play hardball.

Basically they lie to people about what they have the right to do as the only time they'll get in trouble is if someone takes them to court or complains to someone with the power to investigate.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Mine is simple.
See a wall of text, read none of it (this is important) - reply to the wall of text with 'You are wrong'
When you notice an alert on reddit go see what it is, it'll be that nerd writing another huge wall of text, this time with shitloads of links to 'back up my points with evidence' or whatever, it doesn't matter, do not read this post either (this part is important)
Reply with 'doesn't matter how many words you type, you are still wrong on every level'
Then just ignore the next alert and go about your day. they'll probably reply but gently caress it, whatever.

You're a master and I bow to you.

But I prefer when you are just extremely positive and friendly and drive them up the walls.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

If true, I bet this is a case of somebody selling a ship, then trying to get an account refund or something. Sort of a double dip that CIG isn’t equipped to handle.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

----------------

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

The bottom one is how locked ships appear apparently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/7ccq55/scam_alert_new_accounts_flooding_the_front_page/dppdevc/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Interesting that he thinks he gets to set the rules YOU made for YOUR sub. The fact that it's bulletproof and beyond his power is killing him. Well, at least more than the meth he is smoking anyway..