Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Inform Terra, Aid not accepted at this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Fray posted:

As a point of clarification, Earth has zero rights to this system or anything in it. The same treaty that requires us to notify them also bars them from entering it.

Yeah but the last time a treaty said they couldn't go into a system where there was cool alien tech they mobilized their fleet.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Nevets posted:

Yeah but the last time a treaty said they couldn't go into a system where there was cool alien tech they mobilized their fleet.

Sure but this time they'll have to find the right hole first.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Tell Earth, but don't give them all the gory details. Let them know we've made contact etc., but don't request assistance or give them tapes or anything like that.,

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Nevets posted:

If Earth gets lovely over the treaty and wants to have a war over it, we can have a war over it. The military situation is a lot more favorable than during the original Rangi crisis. But we'll address that if it arises.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
Inform Terra.

We currently don't need further assistance, but that may change.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Im voting Yes as well. We need to not let this surprise Earth further down the line. We didn't fire first and that is the most important thing.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Lets theorize a bit:

Let us assume that Earth has not met these aliens yet.

Upon contact with hostile aliens, the following things will happen:
1: Earth will request more information, and will want to have observers in our systems (bad), we could likely counterdemand to have observers in their systems as well, I have never played Aurora, but I think we found more stuff then Earth did, as such being able to see each others stuff probably benefits Earth more then us.
2: Earth will likely retool/respecialize a at least a portion of their fleet to be more effective vs. Aliens and thus likely less effective vs Martians (good)
3: I would assume that Earth and Mars will negotiate some additional trust building measures to make some type of "splendid first strike" scenarios less likely. (good)

Let us assume that Earth has met these aliens already, that things happened mostly the same as they did with us.
1: Earth Goons will have the same discussion as here, I would assume that the reformists would be more in favor of telling us, while the beurocracy will be against.
An outcome in which we tell them force would likely force them to tell us as well, thus indirectly damaging the Terran faction more hostile to Mars. (good)
2: We will likely impress Earths military because our first engagement went pretty well all things considered. (good)
3: If Earth had previous contact hostile contact, and didnt warn us, and gets the data showing that we didnt strike first, well, military people would guilt trip about that quite a bit and become potentially recruitable intel assets.

What I think becomes clear is that, if we decide to tell them, we should imho politely brag about kicking Alien rear end as well.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Can we just stop telling Terra things. I know we signed a treaty, but gently caress the lunar accords they were a bad deal that was made because everyone was scared.

No

They can figure things out the proper way via spies and backchannels.

OwlFancier posted:

We got heavily damaged by what, half of our tonnage in ships?

If they came at us with tonnage parity we'd get absolutely annihilated. They appear to have a substantial technology advantage over us as well as strategic monitoring capability within the nebula system as evidenced by the listening post AND a substantial mobility advantage, meaning they can pick their fights. I don't particularly want to create the Martian Ninth Legion marching into Space Caledonia.

Also I was of the understanding that jump points were free to navigate other than the ones out of Sol?

3/5 ships were utterly useless for the engagement, I wouldn't read too much into this fight. The Azrael's did a fine job and with a few modifications will be very good at Nebula fights.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 13, 2017

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes to minimal treaty obligations of telling them. Yes, we met aliens. Yes, they are hostile and intelligent. No, you can't come and look at them. No, you can't have any tech from them (what tech? we didn't get any tech)

If you are concerned about potentially needing to fight them in the future then start building beam ships with good armour and speed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

YES also tell them we’re getting slaughtered out here don’t investigate!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Jack2142 posted:

Can we just stop telling Terra things. I know we signed a treaty, but gently caress the lunar accords they were a bad deal that was made because everyone was scared.

No

They can figure things out the proper way via spies and backchannels.

3/5 ships were utterly useless for the engagement, I wouldn't read too much into this fight. The Azrael's did a fine job and with a few modifications will be very good at Nebula fights.

They did a fine job because they had a lot of ablative hit points in the other ships in the squadron which only contributed by diverting fire from the Azraels. I would have to check what size our Azraels are, but I believe that the enemy squadron was approximately half the tonnage of the two Azraels in total, completely disregarding our non-combat-effective hulls, and furthermore they had a lot more of their total tonnage as a percentage taken up by redundant systems (an engine for each of them, etc) than our ships did. If that had been a single destroyer-equivalent ship with equal tonnage to one of our destroyers, or if the LACs had concentrated their fire on the ships capable of harming them, we would have lost our entire squadron. We only won because we got lucky.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

We fought an enemy that was probably 2+ tech levels beyond us and was optimized for nebulae to boot. And on top of that we handicapped ourselves by voting to not fire as they closed to their weapon range. It ain't shocking that we struggled.

Fray fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 14, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack2142 posted:

they were mobile ablation shields, that's not useless.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 14, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Normally I would run the vote longer but yes appears to have won overwhelmingly. Terra will be minimally informed after word reaches Mars.

7 Jan, 0503hrs

The 1st Destroyer Squadron reforms and heads for the comet to land it's exploration party.

Arriving over the comet the destroyers are slowly repairing their internals.

7 Jan, 1303hrs

The Cornucopia of Excellent Goods at Low Prices is underway to conduct SAR/Capture operations on the alien survivors but is still hundreds of millions of km away. The rest of the main fleet reforms and seeing the destroyers don't need any further help heads insystem to inspect the planets there.

More repairs are carried out of the Destroyers.

8th Jan, 0303hrs

The main force continues insystem.

8th Jan, 1133hrs

Approaching the gas giant with no interference General Yooper orders the fleet to switch on its scout actives.

The powerful sensor will pick up anything 3000T or over within the inner system.

8th Jan, 1343hrs

Swinging past the gas giant and it's many moons the combat ships head out to perform close scans of the other two planets while the support ships settle into a low orbit.

Survey ships disperse among the whirling moons to begin looking for TNE's or any hidden ruins or installations.

8th Jan, 1903hrs

The combat ships head for the inner planet. So far nothing seems to have responded to them blaring powerful active emissions all over the inner system.

9th Jan, 0439hrs

Passing the inner planet with no contacts they head for the third planet to the south. The plan is to closely inspect it then take up positions around the inner system jump point to intercept anything coming through. The Olympos Mons Pubis is about half way to the Ranginui jump point and reporting home.

Forty one million km away space shudders, tears and a massive ship steps into the system.

The Sensors of the Exploration fleet shriek alerts. Thirty-four thousand tons, 2720 Thermal emission and no EM emission (EM sensors are disabled by transit.)

Yooper stares at his display aghast, the single ship masses almost as much as an entire cruiser squadron and is nearly three times the size of the new Hellas class Dreadnoughts.

"What have we gotten ourselves into now" he thinks.

Combat ships of 1/2 Cru Squad and 1 Des Squad

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 14, 2017

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

If these are the Shivans, here come the Sathanes... GG, folks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

run the gently caress away

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Lieutenant-General frankenfreak to Kommandant-General Yooper: Let's get the hell outta here!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Y'know, are we sure it's actually a warship? Could just be a fortuitously timed supply ship or something. It would be loving hilarious if we get chased out of the system by some tramp freighter.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Whoopsie Daisy.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Dont fire until fired on, they may be friendly!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So...this is a bad thing, right?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Does Aurora let us (the player) know whether these ships are civilian or military? Or is that a SM decision?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This is not a bad thing

Yes it is a surprise, take a moment, deep breaths and then calmly take stock of the situation. This is amazing

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Volmarias posted:

Does Aurora let us (the player) know whether these ships are civilian or military? Or is that a SM decision?

No way to tell until it starts shooting. Sometimes you can tell by size, but this is right in the sweetspot where it could either be a small freighter or a fuckoff huge battleship.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Defeat and capture the 34k ton (possibly) jump capable ship and take it home

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Let's get ourselves a new spaceship, boys and girls!

I suppose this could be a new improved and friendly alien variety, but what are the odds?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is fine.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

So...did the game engine designate that new ship the "Shiva" or did Saros?

Because if it's the former I want to know how its RNG perfectly timed the Freespace reference.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I told you!!! I bloody well told you!!! But no you wanted to go tangle with the Shivans and now here comes the first Sathanas or Lucifer class.

Look grab anything we can and withdraw and then fortify this jump point with as many weapons and ships as we can muster.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Crazycryodude posted:

No way to tell until it starts shooting. Sometimes you can tell by size, but this is right in the sweetspot where it could either be a small freighter or a fuckoff huge battleship.

If it sends out an active sensor thats normally a good sign

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Defeat and capture the 34k ton (possibly) jump capable ship and take it home

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Let's get ourselves a new spaceship, boys and girls!

We currently have in system (combat capable);
  • 4x Pollux class, 1x 45cm + 4x 15cm
  • 2x Resolution class, Triple Gauss Cannon R3-100 Turret (3x9)
  • 2x Ark Royal class, Triple Gauss Cannon R3-100 Turret (3x9)
  • 2x Taiaha class, 2x 15cm
  • 2x Azrael class, 1x 30cm + 1x 15cm (2nd Destroyer Squadron)

We're packing about 24 DPS although with the Nebula & ECM we're probably talking ~40% hit rates at point blank

Part of that armament is four (4) of our shiny 45cm laser cannon. The kind that punch through 11 layers of armour per hit and also provide shock damage that ignores arbitrarily thick armour. There are no shields in the nebula so these will rock it each and every time they hit

Yes Shiva 001 is a threat, it probably is heavily armoured & armed. To us it is also a 34 thousand ton piñata :getin:

Bait it closer to the Ranganui JP if we can to make salvage easier and then mob it with everything

Edit: And 4x Microwaves on the Pollux class! We can do this

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 14, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheWetFish posted:

We currently have in system (combat capable);
  • 4x Pollux class, 1x 45cm + 4x 15cm
  • 2x Resolution class, Triple Gauss Cannon R3-100 Turret (3x9)
  • 2x Ark Royal class, Triple Gauss Cannon R3-100 Turret (3x9)
  • 2x Taiaha class, 2x 15cm
  • 2x Azrael class, 1x 30cm + 1x 15cm (2nd Destroyer Squadron)

We're packing about 24 DPS although with the Nebula & ECM we're probably talking ~40% hit rates at point blank

Part of that armament is four (4) of our shiny 45cm laser cannon. The kind that punch through 11 layers of armour per hit and also provide shock damage that ignores arbitrarily thick armour. There are no shields in the nebula so these will rock it each and every time they hit

Yes Shiva 001 is a threat, it probably is heavily armoured & armed. To us it is also a 34 thousand ton piñata :getin:

Bait it closer to the Ranganui JP if we can to make salvage easier and then mob it with everything

Unless it's a carrier...

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

a carrier that big could carry 12 of those 1000 ton LACs pretty easy

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Veloxyll posted:

Unless it's a carrier...

Good, that'd be a best case. Less of a threat from all the carrier inefficiencies. I'm pretty happy with 4 Pollux class etc against 12x 1K ton "Iron Duke" ships and then a free carrier piñata

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Keep in mind, this is the one we see. It may have a few more buddies we just didn't catch in its shadow.

I say cut emissions, reduce speed, and head on a vector back in the direction of our JP.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
That's a pretty quick response time, no? It suggests at least a major installation on the other side of that JP. Such friendly neighbors.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
It'd be optimal if we could avoid granting them jump recovery time, but I guess it's unavoidable.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I doubt this is a rapid response force. I don't think the LAC had time to transit the jump point, if it even had jump engines (doubtful), and it would take a real paranoid species to put a jumpship on the jump point to act as a relay when their only in-system force is in cryosleep and to have a battleship/dreadnought sized vessel on active duty on top of the other side of the jump point (having ships hanging out in deep space is really rough in Aurora thanks to the supply/repair system). Furthermore, it's only a single ship. I don't think anyone would send a single ship through a hostile jump point as a rapid response force -- at the least they'd jump in a squadron of similarly sized ships. It's possible they have heavily baffled engines on some smaller ships that squadron transited with the Shiva-class, but we're close enough that it would take some serious passive stealth tech to prevent us from seeing them. I don't think active stealth can be used during a jump, so that rules that out. And I don't think it's a carrier because who the hell would combat jump a carrier as the beachhead?

My guess is that this is a fortuitously-timed supply vessel of some sort. It might be a civilian LAC carrier, some sort of tanker or freighter, or maybe even a colony ship, but I'm skeptical of a single 34kton ship as a rapid response force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

theory crafting, with theoretical +2 tech levels, how dangerous would a half kiloton fighter be that had 6 layers of armor and engines to put it to 7500km/s? carrier could carry 24 of those, but i dont see how anything that light would have weapons+ ecm+engines. and our PD ships would be rather dangerous to them either way.