Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

You could get a pretty decent Italian Fighter line up to around T7 I think. Don't know how they'd finagle the upper tiers, so more likely you get to see the C.205 as a gold purchase in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hey US players, today is grind day.

https://worldofwarplanes.com/news/veteransday2017/

Win with a top 5 and get 3k xp. Repeatable.

Edit: Speaking of missing things, I hope the xb-35 with the 20mm cannon turrets shows up in the upcoming bomber tree for the US. There was a jet powered one just after WW2 as well (this all precludes the b-2 we know today). Germany had a flying wing design as well they could use for t10.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 11, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I can get top 5 every battle, what I can't do is win more than 1 in every 4.

I'm using this 5x xp first win thing and a day of premium I got from a botes mission to finish the Blenheim, so I can sell it and fill the slot with a tier 2 fighter/multirole branch that is actually fun to fly, but it's taking a long time to do.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It says 3000 XP on the webpage, but ingame it's 25,000 silver.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah the launcher is also offering 180 days of premium to go along with the Boomerang for $13.99, but when you panic click get to the actual store it's only 3 days

e: Was, they fixed it on the news page some time in the last 5 hours

ee: Got my final 5x, including finishing and selling the Blenheim, then buying the Bulldog, then the Bristol, then the Bristol 2: Electric Boogaloo, with 30s of premium time to spare :slick:

Now even without premium, tomorrow with dailies I'll easily unlock the P-40, Yak-7, FW-190 A-1, Hs 129B, A6M2, and Spitfire, with only the IL-2 lagging behind, though I'll still need to unlock the LaGG-3 and Ju-87 on the I-16l and Fw 189 respectively.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 11, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ugh its Troika posted:

It says 3000 XP on the webpage, but ingame it's 25,000 silver.

drat, your right, I didn't notice even though I had a few wins earlier.

Still though, the 5x is pretty ridiculous as it is.

That was the A6M2. And it wasn't fully upgraded yet. Just the hull and cannons upgraded. At one point, I got into a low level turn fight with a beaufighter. I have no idea what the person was thinking, but they would have been more effective leveling off, hitting boost, and taking over control of his quad gun turret (said turret never shot at me because the angle was too sharp for it).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Creamed Cormp posted:

nah the stuff is discounted, it just doesn't display as discounted.

Turns out discounts don't display until your clear the game's cache:
https://eu.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/666

That's a hoot.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait warplanes is good again? lmao i played this game so much when it was released i have tier seven planes and poo poo, now i can actually play with humans again?

drat, world of warplanes and warships being good is really weird. One day Tanks will be playable again :unsmith:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mans posted:

wait warplanes is good again? lmao i played this game so much when it was released i have tier seven planes and poo poo, now i can actually play with humans again?

drat, world of warplanes and warships being good is really weird. One day Tanks will be playable again :unsmith:

You missed out on the halloween event in tanks. That was fun since they had working multi turreted tanks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Is there anything worth saving tokens for? Otherwise I have 18 of them, which is the price of a new hangar slot

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mans posted:

Well the playerbase is still low enough that you'll still be facing a lot of bots, at least on the off-hours. But the game's a lot better anyways.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Is the MK108 worth it on the Me-410? I remember IRL it has really low muzzle velocity, and I'm worried about its ballistics being really different from the 20mm.

Speaking of which, I hope they add the Ho-301 to the game, just for comedy value; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho-301_cannon

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had to quit for the night after a series of battles where human players went for the garrisons over and over again instead of the factory, the control center, or the rocket launcher.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

LostCosmonaut posted:

Is the MK108 worth it on the Me-410? I remember IRL it has really low muzzle velocity, and I'm worried about its ballistics being really different from the 20mm.

Speaking of which, I hope they add the Ho-301 to the game, just for comedy value; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho-301_cannon

Fwiw I've been absolutely cleaning up with the MK108-armed 410, and am looking forward to four of them on the 109Z (and subsequent upgraded 30mms on the 262 series)

e: I don't think planes have different ballistics between guns in this game, or at least if there are different ballistics the only difference is between cannons and MGs

e2: that's not to say there aren't different ballistics across different planes on different nations, just that it seems that on a given plane you won't have to account for leading different guns

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I had to quit for the night after a series of battles where human players went for the garrisons over and over again instead of the factory, the control center, or the rocket launcher.

Just a note here, but for Mining Complexes at least, unless it's a mid-map one where the enemy team is contesting, it's an utter waste for most fighters to go there instead of trying to cap something else. Mining Complexes have precisely 0 defending aircraft, which reduces them to just strafing mostly hardened targets.

I mean, you want them overhead to defend later, but at the beginning it's an utter waste.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

YellerBill posted:

Fwiw I've been absolutely cleaning up with the MK108-armed 410, and am looking forward to four of them on the 109Z (and subsequent upgraded 30mms on the 262 series)

e: I don't think planes have different ballistics between guns in this game, or at least if there are different ballistics the only difference is between cannons and MGs

e2: that's not to say there aren't different ballistics across different planes on different nations, just that it seems that on a given plane you won't have to account for leading different guns

I actually switched back from the 2x 30mms on the 109Z hub guns as the DPS gain is a bit too much of an offset for the loss of 200m+ range and the rate of fire.

The 30mms utterly eat bombers and are super for base bashing but when you are trying to get some hits on stuff that it actively trying to avoid you I feel the ability to pump out a ton of 20mm cannon fire far more worthwhile. I'm sure that 20/30 mix is highly non optimal but it seems to work for me but I should maybe pick my targets a little better. I'll probably try going back to the 2 sets of 30mms but for this weekend it most definitely felt better.

Lord Koth posted:

Just a note here, but for Mining Complexes at least, unless it's a mid-map one where the enemy team is contesting, it's an utter waste for most fighters to go there instead of trying to cap something else. Mining Complexes have precisely 0 defending aircraft, which reduces them to just strafing mostly hardened targets.

I mean, you want them overhead to defend later, but at the beginning it's an utter waste.

Yeah, there were a lot of fighters out this weekend and it really highlighted that this game needs a few of every class if you are wanting to actually win matches, the number of games where one side would lose but have fighters with 10k+ combat points in the first 3 or 4 positions got to be rather amusing. It kind of brings home the fact that occupying the ground wins wars not the skies.

Burt fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 13, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So many games seem to be decided by one team having bots that follow average AI pathing, and the other team has bots that follow brokebrain AI pathing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

So many games seem to be decided by one team having bots that follow average AI pathing, and the other team has bots that follow brokebrain AI pathing.

One of my battles saw 6 of our bot team spending the first four minutes trying to capture a garrison. And they nearly lost it to a single red bot nearly capped it out. Myself and our other two players wound up changing our plan from defending an airfield to capping the garrison out in the hopes that we could be back in time to defend the airfield. That battle was a loss.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also a great many players don't seem to realise that 2/3 of the team are place filling bots. So, when you complain about how bad the bots are, they automatically assume you're insulting them, because people say the same thing about them in Tanks and/or botes, which means they're terrible players.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
In fairness, they are.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Yeah sometimes I'd be happy for my team to be me and bots.

Talking of which, my BEAUFIGHTER rear gunner is now trained up so much that he is a better gunner than if I manually take control. It actually says so on his skill sheet.

Burt fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 13, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What are recommended pilot skills for the various plane types anyways? I've got a fair idea for a decent number, but wanted to query those who've played for a while (and/or just have high skill captains they can already experiment with)).

In particular I've been playing fighters, so I've been feeling that Aerobatics Expert, Marksman I & II and Evasive Target are good for the first 10 points, but I'm less certain for the last 5. Maybe Resilience or Adrenaline Rush, plus Battle Tested? Or the two Engine Guru skills?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Burt posted:

I actually switched back from the 2x 30mms on the 109Z hub guns as the DPS gain is a bit too much of an offset for the loss of 200m+ range and the rate of fire.

The 30mms utterly eat bombers and are super for base bashing but when you are trying to get some hits on stuff that it actively trying to avoid you I feel the ability to pump out a ton of 20mm cannon fire far more worthwhile. I'm sure that 20/30 mix is highly non optimal but it seems to work for me but I should maybe pick my targets a little better. I'll probably try going back to the 2 sets of 30mms but for this weekend it most definitely felt better.

Oh yeah I should probably point out that I'm actually insane and cannot recommend flying like I do, which is borderline suicidal point-blank-range unloading into dudes and praying they die before you crash into them

The 30mms excel in that highly specific context but you have to have absurd luck or great aim (I alternate between both). The 20mms are by far easier to use just because they have things like a reasonable range and a more practical rate of fire, as you've said

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Lord Koth posted:

What are recommended pilot skills for the various plane types anyways? I've got a fair idea for a decent number, but wanted to query those who've played for a while (and/or just have high skill captains they can already experiment with)).

In particular I've been playing fighters, so I've been feeling that Aerobatics Expert, Marksman I & II and Evasive Target are good for the first 10 points, but I'm less certain for the last 5. Maybe Resilience or Adrenaline Rush, plus Battle Tested? Or the two Engine Guru skills?

I have been using this as a general guide:
http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/48518-optimal-crew-skills-equipment-consumables-for-all-types-of-aircraft/

It depends on the kind of plane and equipment you are using.

I've stuck with engine guru and acrobatics so far, but my best crew only have 3 skill points so far.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't really get why i need to stay half an hour shooting at planes for 1 or 3 hp per bullet while sometimes some dude just grazes by me and obliterates me in a 1 second salvo.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Mans posted:

I don't really get why i need to stay half an hour shooting at planes for 1 or 3 hp per bullet while sometimes some dude just grazes by me and obliterates me in a 1 second salvo.

Work on your aim. No, really. Damage output as a portion of your potential maximum damage per second is determined by how well you're leading the target. Start giving things a little less or a little more lead until you see damage output go up.

The other possibility is just that you're in a plane with kinda crappy damage output like many of the tier 4 fighters (late model I-16, A6M1, etc) and the only advice I can give from there is "it's about to get a lot better at tier 5"

e: for the sake of giving better advice, what plane(s) are you having this problem in?

Also of course make sure your guns aren't overheating

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YellerBill posted:

Work on your aim. No, really. Damage output as a portion of your potential maximum damage per second is determined by how well you're leading the target. Start giving things a little less or a little more lead until you see damage output go up.

The other possibility is just that you're in a plane with kinda crappy damage output like many of the tier 4 fighters (late model I-16, A6M1, etc) and the only advice I can give from there is "it's about to get a lot better at tier 5"

e: for the sake of giving better advice, what plane(s) are you having this problem in?

Also of course make sure your guns aren't overheating

Struggling really hard on early tier American and Japanese planes, I also absolutely suck with German fighters but i also sucked with those in pre-2.0 Warplanes and War Thunder.

There's no reticle that predicts movement right? What do you recommend, just firing small salvos to get a proper feel of how long the guns take to reach the enemy plane?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Mans posted:

Struggling really hard on early tier American and Japanese planes, I also absolutely suck with German fighters but i also sucked with those in pre-2.0 Warplanes and War Thunder.

There's no reticle that predicts movement right? What do you recommend, just firing small salvos to get a proper feel of how long the guns take to reach the enemy plane?

I recommend getting into the early american USAAF fighters (not the multirole fighters, but the line that leads through the P-40) and using those MGs' ability to fire drat near forever without overheating to let you wiggle your aim around until you get a feel for where to aim to deal damage. It's not enormous damage output but at most speeds/ranges in those planes you should only need to aim about one plane length ahead of the enemy planes to score "proper" hits on them. Once you get a feel for aiming you can get into some of the earlier cannon-armed planes in other nations and get a feel for the slightly increased lead those seem to want-- and in those you will want to be firing short bursts, not just to get a feel for aim but in general because the guns will overheat very, very quickly

e: I feel that it's important to note that if you're used to War Thunder aiming you'll want to dial it back considerably for WoWP, many situations in this game require far less lead than anything in War Thunder outside of very low speed combat (this is colored by me being mostly used to japanese planes with their very terrible muzzle velocity in war thunder)

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 14, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Somehow [Pansy] is the 44th best clan out of nearly 2000 other clans. I don't have any idea how this happened, but hope it's a sign that we'll do some poo poo in clan wars.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

RandomPauI posted:

Somehow [Pansy] is the 44th best clan out of nearly 2000 other clans. I don't have any idea how this happened, but hope it's a sign that we'll do some poo poo in clan wars.

Are there any openings in PANSY atm? I want in

e: IGN internalizedmediocrity

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2017

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

As you play today, just check if your bots are being stupefyingly bad at all.

I have just had about 5 losses in a row, no biggy, it's RNG after all but when I check, a lot of our bots were only just getting over 1k in combat points which was a half to a third what the opposing bots were doing. It was very weird.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

YellerBill posted:

Are there any openings in PANSY atm? I want in

Me too! IGN vuvuzela_salesman.

I played against random Paul last night and realized pansy was in wowp. Is there any point to clans yet?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I unlocked both the P-47 and the F-4U and I have to say the P-47 is disappointing. It's a shame because it's my favorite WW2 plane. The P-47 appears to have a big hit to maneuverability while not being much faster or tankier than other planes at it's tier. The 8 .50cals add up, but one can't even think about taking out another plane in one pass. I'm terrible at this game, but I think staying at altitude is key to any success in the P-47. Even if one is taking on ground targets, dive, attack and then climb back to ~5500 feet is the order of the day. I've noticed that it handles a lot better above 4500 ft.

The F-4U on the other hand feels almost overpowered. Four 20mm cannons shred planes and it's much more maneuverable than the P-47.

One big balance issue in WoWP is MGs vs. cannons and ammo. Ammo considerations was big in choosing cannons over MGs. The balance decision of infinite ammo I think really throws the balance in favor of cannons. The exception is for very unmaneuverable targets like attack planes and bombers because the MGs do have higher sustained DPS.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Burt posted:

As you play today, just check if your bots are being stupefyingly bad at all.

I have just had about 5 losses in a row, no biggy, it's RNG after all but when I check, a lot of our bots were only just getting over 1k in combat points which was a half to a third what the opposing bots were doing. It was very weird.

Occasionally upon capping a point the bots start using the air defense fighter AI and just circle over the point forever until an enemy plane enters the point or they die

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

space pope posted:

Me too! IGN vuvuzela_salesman.

I played against random Paul last night and realized pansy was in wowp. Is there any point to clans yet?

I don't know if clans do anything yet but I played WoT clan wars with PANSY ages and ages ago and it was good fun, so seeing as I'm actually good at this game maybe I'll be able to contribute more if wowp clan wars happens

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a recruiter in pansy so joining should be fine. But our leadership was ported over from WOT so we'll need atomizer to pick a successor or to play the game.

Edit: I know what wargaming were going for when they tried the idea out. But one clan for 3 games should have been an opt-in thing instead of mandatory.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 15, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh hey, the devs wrote up a blog about AA guns. It includes range numbers for the light and heavy emplacements.

http://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/mechanics/aa-guns-20-smarter-meaner-more-useful/

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

RandomPauI posted:

I'm a recruiter in pansy so joining should be fine. But our leadership was ported over from WOT so we'll need atomizer to pick a successor or to play the game.

Edit: I know what wargaming were going for when they tried the idea out. But one clan for 3 games should have been an opt-in thing instead of mandatory.

Yeah I don't think "one 100-player clan across three games" is a good idea if the clan's going to participate in clan wars across multiple games

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, uh...stock Spitfire is ripshit:

15 aerial kills, no deaths, just zig-zagging through the center cap defending it all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wow, congrats! Will you send a replay of the video to any of the youtubes?

• Locked thread