Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, she did apologize for the comment, and considering the context of a muslim woman commenting on Palestine it's far from the worst thing to ever be said. The biggest controversial aspect is just that she said 'the jews' instead of 'Israel'.

To me as a Jewish person that's actually kinda a huge deal. Its the difference between somebody having a political opinion on a foreign country and someone blaming me for the actions of a foreign country.

If Labour wants to avoid accusations of anti-semitism it needs to put the kibosh on things like this and people need to recognize how harmful conflating the two are.

I'm not really a thread regular so not trying to start a derail. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Productivity is GVA per hour worked

NIs rightful place restored!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

coffeetable posted:

having all the educated people and institutions evenly distributed would be a total waste of resources

Having everything concentrated in one horrifically overbuilt pollution zone is a total waste of resources already. There's no reason to have the political, financial, cultural and technological centres of the country all be the same place.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

So the Tory rebels against the Brexit bill are still, well, rebelling, despite the "assurances" of Davis and meetings with the party whips. Is this likely to tank the government if they can't even push this through? The rebels know they have the government over a barrel.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

To me as a Jewish person that's actually kinda a huge deal. Its the difference between somebody having a political opinion on a foreign country and someone blaming me for the actions of a foreign country.

If Labour wants to avoid accusations of anti-semitism it needs to put the kibosh on things like this and people need to recognize how harmful conflating the two are.

Nah it's not a derail, it's a conversation that needs to be addressed. What is also worth noting is that by and large the people failing to make this distinction tend to be Muslim. The only prominent anti-Semite I can think of (ignoring the far-right) who isn't is Dipshit Catboy Galloway, who takes his criticism of Israel to racist extremism. I'm omitting Ken Livingstone because I think he's an old muppet as opposed to actually anti-Semitic.

There is a tendency amongst Muslims (in Britain and elsewhere) to see the Israel-Palestine issue through an inherently racial lens. They see that what Israel is doing is unacceptable, and want to know why the rest of us don't. They assume it's because they're Muslims and Israel is ostensibly a Jewish state. This then feeds into them believing in the whole "Jews run the world" conspiracy theory because as far as they can tell the only reason supposedly human-rights-championing countries ignore I-P must be because someone is telling them to, and so they inherently conflate the I-P conflict with Jewish identity.

At least that's what I've picked up from Muslims that I talk to. There is a real oppression there, both in Palestine and in the way they're treated in the press etc. When they can't catch a break they do the same thing that British thumbs do: blame an ethnicity.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Germany did alright spreading their industry post east west split. Finance to Frankfurt? Publishing to Hamburg, cars to Munich etc

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Germany did alright spreading their industry post east west split. Finance to Frankfurt? Publishing to Hamburg, cars to Munich etc

To an extent, but if you look at the wealth breakdown, the East is still much, much poorer than the West, and as a consequence the more likely to vote for the racist AfD.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

coffeetable posted:

having all the educated people and institutions evenly distributed would be a total waste of resources

The regions should be attributed productivity for the people that are born and raised there that then go on to work in London.

I mean, not literally obviously, but the narrative is bullshit and shouldn't be a driver of opinion or policy.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/930391668649529344

#LibDemFightback

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tesseraction posted:

To an extent, but if you look at the wealth breakdown, the East is still much, much poorer than the West, and as a consequence the more likely to vote for the racist AfD.

Didn't the map of AfD majorities in the most recent election overlay precisely over were the DDR used to be?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Corrode posted:

Didn't the map of AfD majorities in the most recent election overlay precisely over were the DDR used to be?

Yep, which was also the least financially prosperous regions on the map.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

For sure. I didn't mean to say "this isn't a big deal", just that I can understand (not agree with) the thought process behind it. Tesseraction does a better job going into detail than I could, especually in my current half-awake state.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

That's largely a result of Germany being less centralized overall (compared to the UK or France) because it only became one country in 1871. So they have a bunch of big cities instead of one humongous capital that grew to dwarf everything else starting in the late Middle-Ages or early Renaissance.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tfw every major party leader (and Vince Cable) has a net negative approval rating.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Poor Vince has more people asking "who?" than having a favourable opinion of him.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Scikar posted:

Having everything concentrated in one horrifically overbuilt pollution zone is a total waste of resources already.
what resource does it waste

think carefully about the alternative

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm happy we concentrate so many of our wankers in one city.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I'm happy we concentrate so many of our wankers in one city.

Londoners all being packed together in an urban wasteland does neatly solve the problem of encountering Londoners elsewhere, agreed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

coffeetable posted:

Simply by the scale of London, a huge amount of time and resources every day is wasted just moving people around to where they need to be. It is not efficient for people to be travelling multiple hours per day because they can't afford to live closer to their work.

You also end up with situations like in Cambridge, where the direct rail link to London has somewhat turned it into a satellite town. This results in the house prices shooting up, pricing out many people who actually work in Cambridge, meaning that people who work in Cambridge now generally live in the surrounding villages, which then has further knock on effects for people in the rest of the county.

"This is inevitable" is a cry you and ronya have made, but it's clearly not if we look at other major nations. It is an inevitable consequence of the death of UK industry (~25% GVA in the 1970's, ~10% today - compare to Germany's ~30% today), but taking that as read is clearly nonsense.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Tfw every major party leader (and Vince Cable) has a net negative approval rating.

Tfw even outside election years when Jezza isnt doing anything to groom his image he still has the highest approval rating

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lolling forever that over half the country thinks may is a fuckup

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

coffeetable posted:

think carefully about the alternative

wealth

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

coffeetable posted:

Time, and through massive house prices it concentrates the money people get from their work into the hands of a much smaller number of people.

Kassad posted:

That's largely a result of Germany being less centralized overall (compared to the UK or France) because it only became one country in 1871. So they have a bunch of big cities instead of one humongous capital that grew to dwarf everything else starting in the late Middle-Ages or early Renaissance.

Look at Paris then.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The regions should be attributed productivity for the people that are born and raised there that then go on to work in London.

perhaps they could add reparations onto my income tax

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

lolling forever that over half the country thinks may is a fuckup

Lolling forever that so many still think she isn't

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

perhaps they could add reparations onto my income tax
Increased income tax twinned with increased regional funding does sound like a plan.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Now is your chance, tintower. Run for leader.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
time to stop eating sandwiches if you want to buy a home londonailures

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/930392842903736325

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Increased income tax twinned with increased regional funding does sound like a plan.

It needs to be correctly targeted. eg. Promoting high tech industry through increased science funding in an area, particularly blue sky research, which can be naturally connected to the universities.

(As a numerical example, Cambridge gets about 50 new students doing Maths PhDs a year. Next year, Durham will have funding for 2.

Similarly, the number of Doctoral Training Centres (big groups that do phds in an area, lots of funding) in Oxford is nearly as many as in the whole of the North East.)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It needs to be correctly targeted. eg. Promoting high tech industry through increased science funding in an area, particularly blue sky research, which can be naturally connected to the universities.

(As a numerical example, Cambridge gets about 50 new students doing Maths PhDs a year. Next year, Durham will have funding for 2.

Similarly, the number of Doctoral Training Centres (big groups that do phds in an area, lots of funding) in Oxford is nearly as many as in the whole of the North East.)

Yeah this one. Bristol is attracting so many grads at the moment because a) they can afford to live here, although that will change and b) we have giant aerospace companies as well as high proportions of law/finance/IT etc. Shockingly, when there's good jobs in nice cities people move to them instead of London.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

time to stop eating sandwiches if you want to buy a home londonailures

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/930392842903736325

variations on this article pop up every few months. I think they're generated by bots to promote whichever estate agent wants their name in the news

but lol

quote:

Preparing lunch at home rather than buying sandwiches or salads saves £2,576 on average,
not even a Waitrose lunch deal is over a tenner a day you'd need to get that at 5 lunches * 52 weeks minus holidays.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Just don’t eat. Idiot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This also isn't something that will only benefit some ivory tower elite - at the company where I worked most recently before coming back to academia, we had 15 people in R&D out of 300 or so in the company as a whole.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Christian Bale apparently only had water, one apple and one coffee a day to become emaciated enough to star in the Machinist.

If he could do it so can you!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This also isn't something that will only benefit some ivory tower elite - at the company where I worked most recently before coming back to academia, we had 15 people in R&D out of 300 or so in the company as a whole.

And lo', the dildo spider was born.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Millennials waste thousands on food and transport. If they just stayed at home all day they could afford a house within 5 years! :pseudo:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

Christian Bale apparently only had water, one apple and one coffee a day to become emaciated enough to star in the Machinist.

If he could do it so can you!

he also stretched to a tin of tuna a day

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

And lo', the dildo spider was born.

Cocktopus™

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Firos posted:

Just don’t eat. Idiot.

Stop eating! Stop it! Can't you see that buying a house is more important? *sobs into annual sales projections*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Firos posted:

Just don’t eat. Idiot.
Bonus: if you don't eat you can invest in a 6-foot-by-3 wooden box and never need to buy any other form of accommodation. Ever.

• Locked thread