Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

but shouldn't the updated OS stomp the old files? I'm assuming the user should not be able to modify startup scripts so apple can just stomp them.

not necessarily, also files and sectors are different beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

but shouldn't the updated OS stomp the old files? I'm assuming the user should not be able to modify startup scripts so apple can just stomp them.

they probably do delta updates and even then something could have just straight up glitched out and corrupted a critical file

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, on-device updates are delta updates, so it only sends a binary diff of changes to apply. if that got corrupted, or the change was applied incorrectly, welp, good luck.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FamDav posted:

i'm the young people wearing hermes

all 1% of them

You appear to have read my post incorrectly

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if the update didn’t complete successfully then the boot partition wouldn’t pass verification and the device wouldn’t boot at all.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

it boots. i get the white apple logo with black background. after a while the device remembers that i had night mode on, the logo turns yellow. the device restarts. all i see is white apple on black background.

what you’re seeing is a springboard crash. springboard is everything you see that isn’t an app. reasons for it crashing are many, but most likely some other daemon or xpc process it depends on is hanging or crashing for some reason. wiping the phone removed the setting or corrupt file or whatever stupid reason it is that was happening.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once we had to get mac book air new "logic board" but im amazed it worked somewhat ratehr than didnt work at all

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
11.1.1 caused bizzaro behaviour where any app, once launched, just sat there frozen. Buttons didn't respond, until they did, but all I could do was open an app which would promptly freeze. Had to reboot.

Microsoft.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
i just came here to "lol" at the "I" autocorrect glitch. steve jobs would have literally killed everyone in california

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
iOS 11 is kind of weird and maybe a little buggy, but I remember in...iOS 5 (maybe iOS 6?) that I'd have to use airplane mode if I wanted to actually listen to music because the music app tried to load something every time over cellular data, rendering a white screen forever, no matter how good my cell connection was.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Polo-Rican posted:

i just came here to "lol" at the "I" autocorrect glitch. steve jobs would have literally killed everyone in california

that glitch is immortalized in thousands of random tweets now

https://mobile.twitter.com/leannuh_renay/status/929936712863797248

e: poo poo, looks like twitter is retroactively fixing it on their end now, i guess they can get poo poo done when it doesn't involve nazi bots

Dixie Cretin Seaman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 13, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

that glitch is immortalized in thousands of random tweets now

https://mobile.twitter.com/leannuh_renay/status/929936712863797248

e: poo poo, looks like twitter is retroactively fixing it on their end now, i guess they can get poo poo done when it doesn't involve nazi bots

i saw this before your edit and was really confused what you were trying to illustrate there

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Endless Mike posted:

i saw this before your edit and was really confused what you were trying to illustrate there

they only fixed the embeds (for me at least) so clicking the tweet still shows it. twitter still incompetent

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

twitter silently editing tweets in any circumstances seems sub optimal to me

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Polo-Rican posted:

stebe was in charge all those times clock.ipa hosed up when the time changed from standard to daylight savings and back.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Linguica posted:

twitter silently editing tweets in any circumstances seems sub optimal to me

midlevel twitter employee does a global search + replace on "Sad!" --> "I've signed legislation that will outlaw North Korea forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Scott Forstall posted:

stebe was in charge all those times clock.ipa hosed up when the time changed from standard to daylight savings and back.

not true (because clock.ipa still fucks up every DST in some fashion even though stebe dead)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/930111669245583360

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apple to update phones next year

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

good to see the mildly confusing midtier coming back after so long

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Management posted:

are you gonna get fired for leaking now?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the funny thing here is that they just upsized the x size and couldn't even be bothered to keep the notch the same size on them all, which is more likely

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

since when can they make arbitrarily shaped LCD displays

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it seems like awhile since things like nest and android watches exist

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Endless Mike posted:

the funny thing here is that they just upsized the x size and couldn't even be bothered to keep the notch the same size on them all, which is more likely

three different sizes and all of them are larger than the 8. so much for comfortable 1-handed use

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

hope they get rid of the stupid notch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
make the iphone xse

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

make the iphone sxe

hey there sxe :pervert:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

how hard was it to gently caress up an iphone sex joke

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i thought it was intentional, it's too obvious otherwise

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
analysing my hosed up joke is the real sex

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

accidental and disappointing? yeah, checks out

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Just took my work 2016 mbp to the apple store

Trip report: the genius bar is totally unable to deal with a situation where an appointment is made by an IT iTunes account, but the person bringing in the laptop is somebody else

They're fixing my trash keyboard by shipping the laptop to houston where they'll replace literally half of the computer (just so the trash keyboard can poo poo out again in 6 months because "dust, or you're typing it wrong")

Laptop is on applecare but the invoice would have been $800

wrap it up apple-ailures

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

:swoon:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

who is small

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its u

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im 6'5"

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

iphone xtreme edition

what are the odds on them actually doing this? i'm of the mind that the notch in the x is about as small as it's going to get for quite a while, which would prob preclude them putting it in a reasonably sized phone. more likely they'll just continue to make dinner trays imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wanna buy that phone