Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Guillermus posted:

I just install swiftkey and get done with, google board became so bad.

SwiftKey has been super aggressive with autocorrect lately, so I went back to GBoard last week.

The predictions all feel like they're for other people, not me. The words are rarely what I want/need.

So it's back to SwiftKey and a bit of proofreading before sending stuff out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Gboard can act up sometimes, but I find that deleting the suggestions it gives me that I never use makes it better?

revolther
May 27, 2008

effika posted:

SwiftKey has been super aggressive with autocorrect lately, so I went back to GBoard last week.

The predictions all feel like they're for other people, not me. The words are rarely what I want/need.

So it's back to SwiftKey and a bit of proofreading before sending stuff out.

I just append a good ol fashioned, "this message was dictated but not read" to all out going communications. Tap that microphone key and let fly!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Chrome updated on my phone (MXP, so I'm still back on 6.0) and now there's a bunch of "suggested content" taking up half the screen when I open a new tab that basically mirrors the same stories I get through Google news or in google now. Is there any way to disable it? It's really obnoxious. I don't need three different ways to see the same stuff.

Also, and far worse, chrome no longer autocompletes urls when I type in the first letter or two of frequently visited sites, so now I have to manually pick the top suggestion after typing the first letter to go there instead. Is that a new "feature" as well?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Wrist Watch posted:

Chrome updated on my phone (MXP, so I'm still back on 6.0) and now there's a bunch of "suggested content" taking up half the screen when I open a new tab that basically mirrors the same stories I get through Google news or in google now. Is there any way to disable it? It's really obnoxious. I don't need three different ways to see the same stuff.

Also, and far worse, chrome no longer autocompletes urls when I type in the first letter or two of frequently visited sites, so now I have to manually pick the top suggestion after typing the first letter to go there instead. Is that a new "feature" as well?

You can disable the suggestions in chrome://flags, I don't remember the name but it's pretty obvious (I quite like them so I haven't turned them off). You can also get rid of the list of downloads on the same screen which is the section I feel is particularly useless.

Might as well take this opportunity to respond to Skarsnik about Chrome Home. Eh, it's not as bad as I thought but not as good as it could be. Oddly enough, until today it still didn't look like yours or Blue Train's interface but now it does. I'm definitely going to keep it though not really because I think it's better but because I like the rounded iconography and aesthetic.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So my stylish for Firefox Android stopped working and I'm not sure why. It reverted back to the default white theme, and trying to install a new stylish theme brings me to a screen for installing stylish for desktop chrome. I had this issue before but it just suddenly worked. I don't know what I did last time to fix it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wrist Watch posted:

Can't help you with the Chrome stuff, but the MXP finally got 7.0 (lol) a month or two ago so maybe you should check in on that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Does AMDroid have a way to dismiss upcoming alarms? I used to be able to do that from the notification shade when I as using Timely, once it was baked into Android.

AMDroid doesn't seem to tap into that, I guess?

I'm on a Pixel.

It's impossible to search for help with this app with that name being so close to Android.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Try putting amdroid in quotes like "amdroid"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You could also try -android but that might actually limit your results

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

effika posted:

Does AMDroid have a way to dismiss upcoming alarms? I used to be able to do that from the notification shade when I as using Timely, once it was baked into Android.

I'm on a Pixel.

It's impossible to search for help with this app with that name being so close to Android.

AFIK you have to go into the app to do it. Go to the alarms list, tap the dots next to the alarm you want to skip, and select "Skip next occurrence"

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

effika posted:

:psyduck: I have no idea but I swear it at least used to do this

Nevermind it appeared at 12h before the alarm is supposed to go off

Sereri fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 14, 2017

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I need an app that will just let me select an mp3 from my downloads and play it, no trying to force me into a music service or try to tag my files or whatnot. Like MuPDF but for audio tracks.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

effika posted:

I'm on a Pixel.

Yes, it lets you dismiss the upcoming alarm from the notification shade. I din't see tomorrows alarm yet, but that is 18 hrs away. But I dismissed one this morning that way though.
I made a quick alarm for an hr from now, and it did show up. So maybe as Sereri mentioned you can only do it within a 12hr window.

Unbelievably White posted:

I need an app that will just let me select an mp3 from my downloads and play it, no trying to force me into a music service or try to tag my files or whatnot. Like MuPDF but for audio tracks.

Paid app, but great at playing just folders. Don't remember how much it is, I bought on Doughnut or someshit
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can someone recommend a good alternative messaging app that allows larger attachments?

I've been using the Samsung stock Messages app on my S7, but lately I've been trying to attach gifs/images and cant seem to attach ones that are above 1MB or find the setting that will allow me to increase the size restriction.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think Textra allows it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Textra seems like a good option, thanks!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Pulsar, and it's free.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

effika posted:

I'm on a Pixel.

Yes it does, I did it just a second ago. It does it the same way, in the shade. I think it's only possible within one hour of the alarm and I believe that's an Android limitation. I can't remember if the pre alarm counts as the alarm time for this calculation.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 15, 2017

effika
Jun 19, 2005
AMDroid chat: I figured it out. I just needed to play with the notification settings in the app to get it to show up and choose when it comes up (the Delay option).

Thanks for the suggestions, thread!

I am really liking AMDroid's calendar integration. Now that I have everything set up I won't have to set reminders to set alarms!

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Maybe not what you're after, but I use Total Commander as my file browser and that plays mp3s itself.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

MeKeV posted:

Maybe not what you're after, but I use Total Commander as my file browser and that plays mp3s itself.

I've never seen a file browser that couldn't do this.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

deong posted:

Paid app, but great at playing just folders. Don't remember how much it is, I bought on Doughnut or someshit
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

I appreciate the rec, but do you know what's up with the people complaining about connection issues in the reviews? Kinda scared me off of it.

Scudworth posted:

Pulsar, and it's free.

Downloaded it and it had the folder option available straight away. Tracks were listed in the wrong order but I could make a playlist to enforce that. Thanks!

MeKeV posted:

I might look into that as a pure file browser. ESfile started giving me weird popups that were like it was trying to sound like adware from the 90s and every time I turned off a feature to make it stop another kind appeared.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Es got bought out by some company and is full of adware. Solid explorer is good

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I appreciate the rec, but do you know what's up with the people complaining about connection issues in the reviews? Kinda scared me off of it.

I've been using PowerAmp for longer than I can remember now, and I don't have any connection issues. I mostly use it on my 2 hour bus ride home from work, where there is no WiFi, and I have Data turned off. It plays just fine for me.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Kheldarn posted:

I've been using PowerAmp for longer than I can remember now, and I don't have any connection issues. I mostly use it on my 2 hour bus ride home from work, where there is no WiFi, and I have Data turned off. It plays just fine for me.

Same. I've mostly used it when I cannot stream from GPM. I've stopped using it regularly tho and mostly just pin songs in GPM anymore.
I do t know what connected mode means, but I'd guess it's has to do with pirating the license or something.

They have a 30 day trial, so can't lose.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Blue Train posted:

Es got bought out by some company and is full of adware. Solid explorer is good

I got the "premium" version of es explorer on some deep discount a while back and it doesn't have the adware in it.

I don't know what price they actually charge though and it's probably not worth it to buy it at that price.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Downloaded it and it had the folder option available straight away. Tracks were listed in the wrong order but I could make a playlist to enforce that. Thanks!
There's a sort order thingy in the three dot menu when you're on that screen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

I got the "premium" version of es explorer on some deep discount a while back and it doesn't have the adware in it.

I don't know what price they actually charge though and it's probably not worth it to buy it at that price.

I couldn't get ES explorer pro or otherwise to work with SMB shares after disabling smb1 but Solid Explorer does 2/3 just fine. Also the interface is cleaner, imo

That said ES pro is good and if you're the type of person who checks to see if an app is phoning home and then is scared that a chinese app does so to china, whelp

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Why would anyone use ES when Solid Explorer exists?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been using PowerAmp since 2010 with my Galaxy S and android 2.3 and always worked great and is by far the best music player.

File exlorer chat: file explorer by Asus is great, free and no ads at all. UI is nice and allows for easy transfer via wifi with windows machines.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I just use 'Explorer' by Speed Software: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer&hl=en

Simple interface, dark theme, and no cruft or fancy UI nonsense that I don't need.

As an aside, when did reviews on Google Play get so terrible. That app has nearly 10K 1-star reviews, mostly garbage, obvious trolls, bots, or probably competitors slamming it. Google needs to completely revamp the policy to force a certain word-length with all their fancy spam detection algorithms blocking reviews that are clearly word-salad bots. I'd much rather see 20 reviews that had some thought and content (not OK, BAD) than 100K reviews where 99% are purely worthless.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Why would anyone use anything else when Solid Explorer exists?

Fixed

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

But then how will I rank 1 star with the message "begs for reviews"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

B-Nasty posted:

I just use 'Explorer' by Speed Software: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer&hl=en

Simple interface, dark theme, and no cruft or fancy UI nonsense that I don't need.

As an aside, when did reviews on Google Play get so terrible. That app has nearly 10K 1-star reviews, mostly garbage, obvious trolls, bots, or probably competitors slamming it. Google needs to completely revamp the policy to force a certain word-length with all their fancy spam detection algorithms blocking reviews that are clearly word-salad bots. I'd much rather see 20 reviews that had some thought and content (not OK, BAD) than 100K reviews where 99% are purely worthless.

I can vouch for this, it's just a non-root version of Root Explorer which was the definitive file explorer as far back as Froyo. Did they ever fix that ugly icon though? That's why I stopped using it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I can vouch for this, it's just a non-root version of Root Explorer which was the definitive file explorer as far back as Froyo. Did they ever fix that ugly icon though? That's why I stopped using it.

No idea what icon you mean but whenever I get a real gaudy one I just replace it with a generic one from an icon pack. Alternate folder icons being fairly abundant.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The app icon and it is a huge shiny blue file cabinet

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Blue Train posted:

The app icon and it is a huge shiny blue file cabinet

You mean you don't polish your filing cabinets to a mirror finish?

I'd rather have an icon like that than the uninspired "circle with a thing in it" look or Motorola's crumpled up design. It's clear that most icon designers never test on a black background, because many of them look outright stupid if they aren't on an eye-searing white background. Uber's is particularly bad, since the icon itself is mostly black.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

LastInLine posted:

Seconded. I have used Root Explorer and Explorer since Froyo and have never seen a reason to consider alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Guillermus posted:

I've been using PowerAmp since 2010 with my Galaxy S and android 2.3 and always worked great and is by far the best music player.

File exlorer chat: file explorer by Asus is great, free and no ads at all. UI is nice and allows for easy transfer via wifi with windows machines.

I used to swear by poweramp but then I got a car with an android auto head unit and they never bothered to integrate, so I've dumped them for Google music