Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Good Dog posted:

Whenever I feel bad about some of the Angels contracts they've handed out I think about how the Reds gave Homer Bailey 100 million dollars.

It still hurts, but it hurts just a bit less.

The Cardinals have only ever given that much money on one contract to Albert Pujols via extension and Matt Holliday via free agency. Both contracts more than produced that value. It's thoughts like that that make me confident Stanton will end up on the Red Sox. Then I remember that we paid Ty Wiggington $5M in 2012 and I wonder if we've just been lucky at being outbid on agents like Heyward and Price, rather than smart in our spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Frenchy's episode of Pretty Good was probably my favorite

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Intruder posted:

Frenchy's episode of Pretty Good was probably my favorite

I just watched it! I had no idea how...not good he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VtKxqbwpm0

I mean, I knew he wasn't good but I didn't realize he had been not good for so long.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/status/930116843938992128

I know this wasn't planned at all, but :eyepop:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

nice

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
congrats to bellinger and judge

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bump_fn posted:

I was very angry for a sec until I realized which award you mean

Oh by the way I'm going to start on the pie tonight, it has to sit in the fridge overnight for the jello to set though

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Since his last injury and his inability to get more than three or five guys out before melting down this year, I've been of the mind that the Reds should move Bailey to the pen and hope for an Andrew Miller-esque resurgence.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bump_fn posted:

Happily surprised that DeJong came in second, hopefully he uses this to further fuel his research. Let’s see Bellinger wear a lab coat half as well as Paul does.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/930121136045805568

Haha what

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

My favourite Jon Bois video has to be the Lonnie Smith episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTM_eN8AZeQ

poo poo is crazy. Also I miss The Dugout again now. :sigh:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

MrChips posted:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrChips posted:

My favourite Jon Bois video has to be the Lonnie Smith episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTM_eN8AZeQ

I never knew how insanely good he was until I watched that episode

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BUH BUH BUH BENNY AND THE JETS

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Tigers supposedly working to move Kinsler

My body is ready, let's party like its 2003 :toot:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What could you even get for Kinsler at this point

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Not really sports related but we're on a periodic Jon Bois appreciation kick and it's about that time of year: my favorite piece of his and maybe favorite online article period, about his days as a Radio Shack employee.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: wrong thread

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I was very angry for a sec until I realized which award you mean

You know I love you but I hope you are v angry later this week.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

It’s Rogers so I’m totally willing to go with them being upset over how 2015 went.

Eddie Rogers is a big baby doofus and has been trying to prove he can run the whole company by making the Jays profitable and well managed in the vein of a soulless corporate machine. He wanted to be CEO, but Guy Laurence, who did his best to mute the Rogers family as a whole, was appointed in 2013. Rogers led a revolt that got Laurence replaced last year and he got to help pick Laurence's successor. He didn't give two shits about how the Jays did/do, he simply wanted his hand picked guys in every part of upper management if he could, thus him chasing Duquette previous to hiring Shapiro.

tadashi posted:

AA was kind of a wizard when it came to dealing with bats in Toronto, so maybe he can do the same for the Braves. Hopefully his first accomplishment is dumping their old corner outfielders and getting something in return.

If anyone can trade them and get value, the dude who traded Vernon Wells is your guy.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

You know I love you but I hope you are v angry later this week.

I know Altuve is going to win, but I feel like statistically speaking, Judge deserves it. Here's a comparison of their stats (mostly stolen from RAB):

AVG: Altuve (.348 to .287)
OBP: Judge (.422 to .410)
SLG: Judge (.627 to .547)
Runs: Judge (128 to 112)
RBI: Judge (114 to 81)
HR: Judge (52 to 24)
XBH: Judge (79 to 67)
SB: Altuve (32 to 9)
OPS+: Judge (171 to 164)
wRC+: Judge (173 to 160)
DRS: Judge (9 to 3)
fWAR: Judge (8.2 to 7.5)
bWAR: Altuve (8.3 to 8.1)
WARP: Judge (7.40 to 6.40)

And then even when taking statistics out of it, I still feel like Judge was way more valuable to the Yankees because the Astros were loaded at every other position anyway (5 other non-Altuve Astros had a higher OPS+ than Sanchez, who was the 2nd highest on the Yankees - with a 6th being just 2 OPS+ less than Sanchez) and they probably would have easily won the AL West even with someone other than Altuve manning second base. Yankees likely would have been out of the playoffs without Judge.

VVVV: This is true. Altuve is way ahead of everyone else in that stat. I think Jose Ramirez would be 2nd, and Mookie Betts 3rd.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 14, 2017

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Yes but have you considered the newest and most important stat, WAR/height?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When I "eye" it I give the slight edge to Altuve. When you factor in "value to team" I definitely think Judge was a more invaluable piece and Houston had more weapons. I expect Altuve to win it and he'll be very deserving but I would really enjoy seeing Judge win if just to see a bunch of people lose their minds. Especially people who just won a World Series because that would just be funny since they clearly came out on top.

I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen any crazy ROY meltdowns. Is Son of Sam Horn still standing or is it all Twitter and Reddit now?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bellinger and Judge were runaway favorites, I think even Red Sox fans realized that their baseball stereotype was not in Judge's stratosphere

I hope Judge wins MVP but it's most likely gonna be Altuve since he was the best player on the best team in the league

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
If Judge really wanted to be MVP then he shouldn't have slacked off so much in August :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Altuve and to a lesser extent Springer kept the team afloat while Correa spent a month and a half on the DL and the rest of the lineup floundered

Also 2B vs corner outfield

And lol Judge's August

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
also altuve is cuter

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I think a decent number of voters are going to think "Judge will win one in the future so let's give this one to Altuve".

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Re: Judge vs. Altuve

gently caress the Yankees.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What's the most Ks in an MVP season? I think Judge is about to smash that record.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

What's the most Ks in an MVP season? I think Judge is about to smash that record.

Just guessing that it might be the most, but Howard had 181 in 2006 if we consider his MVP legitimate and not some cruel trick played by the gods against Albert. :argh:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Pancakes posted:

Checks out.

Also "Well Judge is going to win ROY anyway so Altuve" is precisely the kind of thing a sports writer would think and do.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pancakes posted:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bewbies posted:

Cody Bellinger, come on down

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Just guessing that it might be the most, but Howard had 181 in 2006 if we consider his MVP legitimate and not some cruel trick played by the gods against Albert. :argh:

Trout had 184 in 2014.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The last living player who played in the 1930s, Red Sox HOFer Bobby Doerr, passed away at 99.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/930409741146304512

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/930466797790355456

At this point Stanton could end up on the loving Padres and I wouldn't be surprised.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I honestly don't expect Stanton to move since he's got the no-trade clause; it seems to me like he loves Miami and won't go when they're that close to contention

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hm Miami gave Stanton an enormous contract, full no trade, and repeated chances to opt out if he overperforms and now can't get a king's ransom in prospects for him

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Gimme Yelich if Stanton doesn't want to come to St. Louis.

Is Jeter calling the shots in the Marlins front office or is Michael Hill?

• Locked thread