Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

grack posted:

I think that may have been more to screw with Reese than anything else.

His WAS unlocked, so yeah maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dongattack posted:

"And the best part? The doors aren't even locked, you can leave any time you want." Doors clearly locked with CHAINS and people desperately banging on them to get out in last shot :v:

Lady in her underwear tied up to a bed, "you don't mind waiting, do you darling?" "Not at all", and then asks the by-stander to put her gag back in her mouth.

People who seek to be tormented for their sins consign themselves to Hell, subconsciously never believing they deserve to escape have chains manifest outside the "doors" to their torture chambers in a magical realm.

:shrug:

Lucifer doesn't lie.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Lucifer was never actually in this episode.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Be that as it may (that one dude in his torment box imagined people turning on him which didn't happen in reality, IIRC?), Lucy himself left his own torture room when he was talked into thinking he didn't really deserve to be there.

Are we over-thinking this now :ohdear:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lucifer escaped because someone from the outside world literally went to Hell to convince him that Uriel's death wasn't his fault. This doesn't happen for Reese.

The entire episode is Reese being stuck in his Hell because he's incapable of giving up Linda. He understands this subconsciously but he's unable or unwilling to act on it, thus trapping him in a loop of being forced to re-live the complete destruction of his life.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I originally used spoilers because it was comics stuff, so I dunno how to proceed here by thread rules, but uh I guess everything is spoilers now:

Why is Reese in Hell to begin with if he didn't get that woman killed? That doesn't happen without Lucifer's involvement (unless there's some obvious way that I'm missing because I can't remember previous episodes?), so what narrative purpose does it serve that only some segments with Lucy are genuine and others fake?

My point is that Lucy saying people imprison themselves in Hell "voluntarily" in the sense that they can leave is true, but they don't leave due to their guilt/sin/whatever, this is rather the point made in the comics as well (that dude from the Balkans who had been tortured for millennia and no one remembered anymore, etc.).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Reese did try and get someone to murder the guy sleeping with his ex-wife. Also he shot a hole in a Burberry suit, that's pretty terrible.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 14, 2017

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Maybe it's not "voluntarily" but more along the lines of American Gods' "if you believe in it hard enough it becomes true or actually occurs" philosophy. If you believe Hell exists and you deserve to go there when you die, and then you die... you go to your believed/imagined idea of Hell.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hell wasn't voluntary for Mom.

Reeve's hell actually happened at some point. The first iteration we see could be the original or part of hell, but it doesn't matter.

Awesome episode.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
That was dark. But still some good TV.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Not a bad episode, and better than a few earlier this season but eh. Probably doesn't help that it followed perhaps my favourite episode in the series so far.

Aleph Null posted:

That was dark. But still some good TV.

It was good in part because it was so dark, not in spite of it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So is it true that half of season 3 so far was supposed to be in season 2? Because the order of these episodes feels really, really off. Unless I'm just seeing them out of order. Because the season started with them welcoming the new lieutenant, but then like two episodes later they arrest the old one?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The production team shot 5 episodes during Season 2 that aren't really connected to over-arching plotlines so they could slot them in where they wanted. We've had a couple so far, but this definitely wasn't one of them. Charlotte was Charlotte Richards, not Momma Morningstar.

You're not wrong that the storylines seem kinda hosed, though. Where did Tom Welling's character disappear to?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

grack posted:

You're not wrong that the storylines seem kinda hosed, though. Where did Tom Welling's character disappear to?

He got shot. Ella had a line in this episode about how he was only a week or two away from returning from medical leave.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This episode felt kind of off. Like how Lucifer wasn't involved in the investigation after a certain point and just kind of accidentally showed up at the killer's house at the end.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

muscles like this! posted:

This episode felt kind of off. Like how Lucifer wasn't involved in the investigation after a certain point and just kind of accidentally showed up at the killer's house at the end.

He's been dealing with a lot of internal conflict, so it makes sense that he is kind of taking a step back as an investigator for the time being.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

grack posted:

The production team shot 5 episodes during Season 2 that aren't really connected to over-arching plotlines so they could slot them in where they wanted. We've had a couple so far, but this definitely wasn't one of them.

There were 4 and they've shown 3 so far. The Maze episode, the Vegas episode and the ex-husband episode.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, this episode had a lot of plotlines.

The Ella/Cylon plotline and the shrink/Amenadiel plotlines i enjoyed a lot cause they dealt with divinity and people trying to come to grips with the supernatural and were either p funny or kinda moving. But the actual main plot of Lucifer/Chloe is just really starting to stagnate i think and i'm starting to get bored with it. Something needs to happen there.

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
I like to think of this episode as not out of order, but from the point of view of the Patrick Fabian character. That he was dead the whole time and just reliving the episode over and over again.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It was an okay episode. I'd like more Lucifer and less CSI girl.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
No new episode this week?!?! Boooooo

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dongattack posted:

No new episode this week?!?! Boooooo

On the upside, next week's episode looks like it moves the Sinnerman plot forward.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That is not an expression Lucifer would make. Lauren appears to be permanently in character.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

Lauren appears to be permanently in character.

It's the eyebrows, man. Straight-up Vulcan eyebrows. My son, who is autistic, constantly comments about them, and he didn't hear a peep about them from my wife or I. Even he knows they're... unusual, and he's a normal guy on the spectrum--he's not TV Autistic® (socially awkward, a few minor tics, and savant-level intelligence).

At least they let up on the red eyeliner crap that dominated her face last season. She constantly looked like she'd just stopped crying, or was about to start crying.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

tarlibone posted:

It's the eyebrows, man. Straight-up Vulcan eyebrows. My son, who is autistic, constantly comments about them, and he didn't hear a peep about them from my wife or I. Even he knows they're... unusual, and he's a normal guy on the spectrum--he's not TV Autistic® (socially awkward, a few minor tics, and savant-level intelligence).

At least they let up on the red eyeliner crap that dominated her face last season. She constantly looked like she'd just stopped crying, or was about to start crying.

I never really noticed them specifically until now, but I think it gives her a more severe appearance. That's probably calculated for her role as a Tough Lady Single Mom Detective.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They play with her make up all the time. For a long time her eyes were darkened to look deeper.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/LesleyAnnBrandt/status/937059251561705472

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Probably the best of the season 3 episodes so far (as opposed to the season 2 episodes sprinkled in)

Also, the ending was incredibly :stare:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Had the ending spoiled by looking at twitter :argh:

Still, great ending. Only downside to the episode seemed to be a weird editing/pacing feel to it. Dunno why, just felt "off".

Looking forward to the mid season finale next week!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
That ending :discourse:

Really good episode! Feels like the show is out of the funk it has been in the last few ones and this more a return to form with non-stop interesting plotlines.
Surprised to see Tricia Helfer really knocking it out of the park this season. Not surprised by her acting cause i know shes a good actress, but surprised they brought back a character i never expected to return and made me so extremely invested in her.

Lucifer doesn't seem like he is romantically interested in Decker anymore, idk if that's just a failure in writing/acting or the case. The "will they/wont they" plot never much appealed to me anyway, a bromance would be much more interesting to me. You see romances non-stop in shows/movies, but rarely you see true friendship.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

wormil posted:

They play with her make up all the time. For a long time her eyes were darkened to look deeper.

I thought they were darkened to make it look like she wasn't getting enough sleep with all the weird poo poo going on.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm digging the sinnerman. I didn't really dig the fact that Lucifer was stopped by some thick steel. It just seemed like they nerfed his strength for that bit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

There Bias Two posted:

I'm digging the sinnerman. I didn't really dig the fact that Lucifer was stopped by some thick steel. It just seemed like they nerfed his strength for that bit.

I didn't really like that the mysterious never seen all powerful sinnerman is just waltzing into restaurants to murder everyone himself. He'd have been a far more effective from the shadows villain

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Azhais posted:

I didn't really like that the mysterious never seen all powerful sinnerman is just waltzing into restaurants to murder everyone himself. He'd have been a far more effective from the shadows villain

He wanted to be caught, I think. He's pulling a Joker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Azhais posted:

I'm really doubting that this guy is actually the Sinnerman. He probably destroyed his eyes to avoid Lucifer revealing it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

I'm really doubting that this guy is actually the Sinnerman. He probably destroyed his eyes to avoid Lucifer revealing it.

I was thinking that too. The guy must either believe he is the Sinnerman then or be extremely devoted/brainwashed. Speaks a lot of this guys power if so.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I totally thought he was going to turn around and reveal that he had Lucifer's Devil face.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Lord Bude posted:

I totally thought he was going to turn around and reveal that he had Lucifer's Devil face.

Yeah, I'm waiting for a devil replacement to show up. Also, it seems a bit silly that his Desire powers don't work on blind people. "Oh no! My greatest weakness! A lack of eyes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, they ARE the window to the soul.

• Locked thread