Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Murmur - Corneria, Northern Plains

William Shakespeare posted:

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Murmur searched for someone new, neither a bastion of good or evil. Fame sometimes belongs to those who succeed despite the moral grey of the world they live in. There was a line, a balance that could be achieved by finding an individual who would carve out his or her own fate. More than all others, today one mind in Corneria drew it, the mind of a man as he prepared to die.

Alec the Bastard
Alec was born on the wrong side of the sheets. Unlike many his father hadn't abandoned him, rather he had paid for a decent education and had given a more than reasonable stipend. But a bastard is still a bastard so when his father passed the money dried up. It was then that Alec sought a name for himself using his only real skill, his aptitude with the sword. Eventually earning minor celebrity as a duellist or in some circles a drunkard. Alec became what commoners called a champion and nobles called a ringer. The laws in Corneria still sanctioned trial by combat under limited circumstance. Of course the nobility, ever pragmatic, used men like Alec to fight their battles rather than endangering themselves.

The truth that few people knew was that Alec's victories hadn't come from skill as much as luck. The first duel he fought was against the prospective suitor of a minor noble, whose father felt was beneath her station. The notable moment came when in a display of what appeared to be great skill Alec disarmed his opponent and knocked him unconscious with the flat of his blade. This was seen as an act of chivalry, a superior swordsman sparing a boy who was clearly out of his league. What the admiring public did not know was that Alec had no intention of using the flat of his blade, far from gallant he had intended to blind the boy so as to more easily run him through.

The fourth duel, the one that cemented his name as a man of skill was again down to chance. Bailey, the ringer he faced had proven himself a score or more times and was known both for his cunning and skill. Expecting to lose the duel and with it his newfound acclaim, Alec drank himself into a stupor the night before. When the duel started he stumbled into the circle, the erratic nature of his movements made his opponent cautious. When Alec had unexpectedly lurched forwards, Bailey tripped on a rock hidden in the grass and falling forward impaled himself upon Alec's sword. In the moment that their eyes had locked Alec wondered who had been more surprised.

Today was different though, despite the public at large thinking he was a prodigy and the nobles clamouring to hire him nobody in the business thought much of him. Which mattered because he was about to fight Lonnie the Blade, worse still it was a mess of his own making. As it had been explained to him by a drinking buddy; a fortnight ago he had bedded Lonnie's sister Elaine. Which while untoward, wasn't in and of itself enough cause for a legal duel. However when two days following that, he bedded Lonnie's wife he provided more than enough cause under the code of law to invoke trial by combat.

Alec stepped onto the field, stone cold sober for perhaps the first time in a month. Being honest with himself, he expected to die today. Lonnie had fought well over a hundred duels before this and his reputation was not that of a chivalrous fighter. Lonnie, perhaps the most famous ringer of all was not loved by the commoner as he fought dirty and invariably to the death. Raising his sword Lucienne, Alec acknowledged to the man he expected to take his life...

+2 Fame roll to turn Alec's history of chance into a god given gift of Lucky, justifying the domain because if he wins he becomes famous. If he loses he is really dead though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Sister Jessica - Gnoll Settlement(Gnerk), Temperate Forest | 0 MP

Jessica let the notes hang in the air, her thoughts lost to the sensation of unleashing her power. A grand rapture had suffused her, a supernal joy that defied words. Finally she came back to her senses and it was a struggle to keep her head upright. All her strength seemed to have fled at once. She took a deep breath and brought her attention to the tree. She pulled herself upright and managed as dignified a pose as was possible, considering she was still bound in rope.

"My name is Jessica. I am wife, or mother, or daughter, or sister, or friend, to any who would seek my grace. This world and the people upon it are under my protection and I will brook no trespass! Tell me your name, demon. Tell me your name and swear upon it. That when I cast you back to your realm you will never return. Do this and I will think of you no more. Defy me, and I will bind you to my bones, undying, and your torment will be endless."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Airagh, Dilapidated Shrine, Swamplands.

She appeared in a vision to her Priestess-Mothers, and bestowed upon them a duty.

"My Priestess-Mothers, I have travelled far to the source of the Blight and done what I can to cap it. I have swept the vileness away to nothingness from there to here, but it is to you I bequeath the task. So long as you are bearing young, you shall have mastery of the blight. People, animals and the land shall become fertile, fecund and purified at your willing touch. Those who try to take from you or that which you wish to curse, shall become barren and enfeebled. Go forth, and spread life to the land!"

Maternity +2 to give the Priestess-Mothers the power to bless, curse and purify whilst they are bearing young.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Starke - Klibariko, Bluffs

Starke let out a harty laugh, "It would seem I've been recognized, and the Beast is sending a veritable army to try and finish the bird's work." He turns to the villagers, "You wouldn't happen to have some spears would you? Something a bit more suited than boulders to thin their numbers a bit." When the villagers returned with a handful of iron spears, Starke took them up, lined up one of the oncoming beasts, and let loose. He was a bit more careful not to knock down any houses with the shockwave from his throw this time. He attempted to shatter the creatures one after another, he would leave the Lion for last. He had other plans for it.

Starke's gonna get some spears from the villagers, and use his ridiculous Strength[+2] to send them flying like railgun rounds at the oncoming crystal beasts. Not aiming at the lion for now.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Vamer - Vamer's Temple, Island Black

Things feel...different now. Like a torch thrust into the mouth of a dark cave, illumination came to Vamer as he finished chanting with Kled. As the lair, no temple became sanctified Vamer understood certain things about godhood he had not before. How worship would empower him. About the full extent of his power...divinity and all the benefits and downsides. He'll find no worshipers here on the isle though, only the undead and necromancers make their way here for its font of necromantic energy. He ponders all this, silent as a death itself while zombies continue to renovate the temple around him. The slapping of dead feet on hard stone is broken only by the clatter as the dead work.

"Fetch paper Kled, quickly." He says suddenly. The man gives him a quirk of the brow but returns shortly. "For our goals to succeed, I must gain even more pow...no divinity. To grasp death. Worship will sustain me and so will fear. The undead can not give this this. So we must spread the faith among the living. To that end, we shall write the tenets of the faith in my holy book, Death and Decay. Then, I shall send out visions of it. Those receptive will learn it and spread the faith."

Using Decay+2 Writing a holy book and then sending visions out among the mortals to receptive people, likely madmen or soothsayers, to try and start up his church on the mainland. He'd send Kled but he needs him here until no more stand against him, plus he could be ambushed on his way.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 29, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Garland Grey - Big’Un Settlement, Badlands
MP: 1

The Mind-bender’s eye based attack hit Garland right in his soul. This is why it was effective, his own hubris almost saw him thralled. He bowed his head at Ona's final sacrifice. Her burial was a somber affair. Garland would need to find a way to counter this new rogue school of psionic mind magic. Garland directed the Big'uUns to work on their defenses and to send their most senior psionicists to come see Garland. He would discuss the mind thralling and delve into they mystery of preventing it or innoculating against all but the most powerful mind-thrallers.

Directing the Big'uns to shore up the settlement defenses. Calling a conclave if the most powerful psions left to discuss and delve into the mind-thraller techniques and possible counters. Psi [+2] for the latter.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Wegirn - Tropical Archipelago, Mid-Ocean Voyage

He bowed again when the Serpent left, "I will remember your words and thank you for them."

As it slithers across to the horizon, Wegirn climbs up to the crow's nest to watch it go for as long as possible. Eventually he slides back down to the deck and chuckles at Folau's words, "That's why I was very polite. I know them by reputation, it should be no surprise that a few survived at least. Is the name of this one known to your people? We should definitely spread knowledge of it to the ports we visit, at least enough to let the captains know to leave an offering for the one who rules their waves."

While we travel, going to try and use Skald +2 and brainstorming with Folau to figure out what a good, standard sailor superstitious ritual we should spread around to honor the rainbow serpent, as I promised. Something like, take an offering of meat cured with sea salt and tie a rock to it and toss it overboard when the place they are leaving is just out of sight and again when their destination is just in sight?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hilary - Strange Mountain, Northern Mountains

Hilary smiled as his messenger delivered the report.

"Truly you have brought good tidings of Peace to this place and these people. I will call you Humphrey. May you bring peace through words or force. Now we must guide the people through the way you have opened."

---

Shinystudy had just finished his lesson when he noticed new symbols on the walls. Innately he felt that they were meant for him and so he walked. The halls lit up as he made his way deeper than ever before. The further he progressed the more he feared. While the places the crows had mostly settled so far had seemed lightly defended the imposing figures of gun emplacements and sleeping mech warriors made his feathers stand on end. Every natural instinct told him to turn and run, to seek the open sky, freedom and safety. But Shinystudy clung to his faith. The sigils guiding him and his people had yet to fail them. It was sure that the force that had led them into this fortress, that inspired him to write the book of flight, that had sanctified the golden sanctum, that force must be watching over him even now.

Finally he entered a room unlike any other. Screens, wires and consoles surrounded him. He had a basic knowledge of how to work the lights and some of the feeding terminals but he could tell this machine was the culmination of a collection of minds far greater than himself. So he waited for guidance, why had Hilary the Librarian brought him here?

Hilary is leading Shinstudy to the Control Core. Hilary hopes to reprogram the base systems to recognize Shinystudy as the new "creator/owner" and the Crow People as its inhabitants to protect.

Written Word +2

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

Corinthian - The Docks - Ruined Metropolis - MP:1

Corinthian stared at his hands in horror. The cruel irony of it all was too much. Far too much.

"I-l... I have batteries? Like, batteries that would have died all on their own eventually anyway?!.... AND I CHARGED THEM?!!!"

Corinthian writhed on the floor in psychological agony while One confirmed that, indeed, his batteries now seem to be full charged. This news didn't seem to cheer him base commander. He spent minutes, whole solid long minutes, just cussing. Laying on the rough cement ground and cussing. Seemed like he might do that all night. But finally Corinthian popped up, grew quiet, studied the room carefully and said to One, "One, I really need to kill something.... Take me to your radio tower. Unless that's broken too?! Huh? No? A little bit? Kinda sorta mostly? Who cares! I'll fix it! I fix everything around here! Take me there One! To the radio tower!"

Corinthian held the primary reciever in his hands, pressed against his chest. A professional microphone floated directlply in front of his mouth and he looked out the side of his eye to see One, nestled near a large switch, a pair of heavy headphone carefully balanced around his metal head.

"Anytime One!" One flipped the switched, and a light turned red.

Corinthian cleared his throat dramatically and hissed in cold metal undertones of frustration,

quote:

"People of Havis ... If you're listening to this message it's because you're not primitive and pathetic!... You have radios. Or voodoo witch doctors that work like radios. Whatever! I don't care! Just - You're ... well your better than most I guess.

What I'm saying is you deserve robotic man servants. YOU - DESERVE - ROBOTIC MAN SERVANTS!! ... That's a basic human right, it's pathetic that you live without them.

I sell them! ... Okay?

Stop plowing your own farms! Stop defending your own village! Stop raising your own children! Stop loving your own loved ones! Kill Your Gods!! You can do everything you ever wanted to do now, and nothing that you didn't, with a ...

ROBOTIC MAN SERVANT!! ...loving primitives...

Here's how you get one! You bring me the scariest goddamn ANYTHING ... that you can fit on a boat. Or summon with magic. I don't care how you get it here - bring it to me! Do you have dragons? Do you have vampires? Bring them to me! I wanna fight 'em at the same time! Know where I can find a Kraken? Is there some kind of tear in reality near your repelling backward village? Actionable information that will lead me to nightmar-ish prey and extremely unholy sites will also be rewarded with a mech slave.

ROBOTIC MAN SERVANT!! ... ROBOTIC MAN SERVANT!!

My name is Corinthian. When you land be sure to ask for Corinthian. Or the Death Drones will murder you for intruding! I made them! I am their God! And they enforce my will! Invade my island and I will burn your soul in plasma conductive hell-fire! I'll turn your whole being into an engine and plug you into a robot that feels pain constantly! And cleans my palace! Don't gently caress with me!

... So. Come get a Robotic Man Servant.... It's Corinthian...

Corinthian looked away from the microphone and at One, placing his headphones down. "Right. Perfect in one take. Throw a catchy jingle behind the whole thing, add our coordinates to the end - or how to get here or something - and play it on a loop. On every frequency. Every hour, on the hour. Forever. Or until I die or tell you to stop the transmission."

One reacted slowly, processing some sort of heavy quandry, seeking his data banks for some slim and shadowy scrap of information. Finally he saluted and asked, "What Is 'Catchy Jingle', Base Commander?"

Corinthian stared at One for a moment before silently loading his pipe and lighting it, a few puffs of smoked released in awkward tension. Finally Corinthian broke the silence."

"... Fine. I'll do it."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Corinthian has created what is basically a radio add offering to swap robotic man servants for very very scary monsters or tips on where to find them. He will be using Artifacture [+2] to make sure the transmission runs successfully, regularly, and on countless frequencies. He's trying to contact as much of the world as possible with one radio tower.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 26, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Diona- Salina, The Great Desert

Oh it was one of these.

Not that Diona really knew any other gods, being a fairly fresh one herself, but the curmudgeonly, overtly spiteful and smite-ful moralizing sort was definitely a divine archetype she knew very well. And one she did not like or appreciate very much. So, she sauntered over back to the skull people, they deserved to know at least.

"Hey", she nodded, "So, turns out you lot are cursed by this excessively mean-spirited god that is now dead. Conjured a flash flood to kill everyone and then cursed the place to do that whole 'If you like Thing then I compel you to do the Thing FOREVERRRRR' thing on people who like to have good time. Any clue who that could be, know any of the old Pantheon? I'm kinda new on the God Block and all."

Diona talks to skullmans. Mainly explaining the curse and asking if they recall the old gods and who this could be. Could give some additional bit of info on how to properly circumvent this curse if the identity of the curseweaver is known.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Arianrhod - Noone’s Camp

"!" That was quite unexpected, and Arianrhod is at first for a loss of words, as surprised as the caravan was at the sudden changes. She still wasn't used to this whole "godhood" thing and the rapid healing and even reverse aging of the people around her was a massive step up of her old abilities of maybe keeping one person from dying of sepsis if she caught it early enough.

Still, she had been chosen for a reason, time to bask in at least a little ego worship. "Good people, I am thrilled to have helped, and I hope to assist many others down the road, literally and figuratively. Now, I have to head back into the wood and find the source of the haint infestation, but if you will have me I will attempt to come back and travel with you. The forces of nature are not always inimical, and both settled and natural dwellings both have their parts to play."

Arianrhod focuses and clasps her hands together, a glow emerges from inside her palms and she opens them to reveal a small obsidian athame set in antler. "Let this serve as a memento of our mutual trials together. Give me a moment, I have an idea..."

She'd need some sort of compact between herself and those that would follow in her path, and for that, she'd need a symbol.

Per Discord, my goals are

-make the athame
-imbue it with the telepath comm ability as described above
-attempt to recruit the caravan as followers

Using [Druidism+2] as needed

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 27, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Ur Tau Mica - Self, Fertile Plains

If these wind bandits all had stones to control the wind, why chase after the human?

The replica stared down the human from up high. And it rumbled. “Wind bearers... you tread on my body... and pretend... to be something... you are not! These lands… belong to Ur Tau Mica, master of the earth! You spoil my work, my land... with your magic! Either you leave your magic behind... and serve my causes... or I bury you here!”

To make a point, Ur Tau prepares the earth beneath their feet to tremor.

Diplomacy time. They’ve got only two choices. Maybe a third depending on how badly I’ve injured the rest.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself

Alec’s hand shook as he tried to hold his sword steady. His opponent was known for a brutal style where he slowly cuts down an opponent in a show of superior skills. So he circled trying to get a read on Lonnie. Lonnie himself was looking for an opening to draw first blood, as was his custom.

Alec tripped on that damned rock. His sword flew at Lonnie as he fell, throwing the brute off balance. Alec scrambled for anything he could hold to defend himself as Lonnie threw all his weight into an overhand swing instead of his usual stab. Alec’s hands found the rock andspulled it free from the soil bringing it up to block the blow.

quote:

Some Years Ago

The blacksmith looked over his latest sword. It had a small crack in it two thirds the way up the blade. He would have scrapped it, should have scrapped it, but it was late and he was weary. This sword would finish the order. So he heated it again and gently hammered the face so that it was no longer apparent. Some other cosmetic work and once it broke it would be someone else’s problem…

Lonnie’s Sword broke on the rock, a few shards embedding in his arms and neck. He roared in rage and began to swing wildly at Alec with the broken sword. Alec rolled and ran around the circle. He was looking for his sword but to the crowd it looked like he was leading Lonnie on a bit of a chase. The crowd seemed uncertain whether this was an interesting diversion or an affront to the sport until Lonnie stumbled. Alec stared at him, trying to figure out why Lonnie seemed short of breath, sweating, and pale. He pointed the tip of his blade as the realization came to him. He spoke loud enough that the crowd heard the accusation.

“You poison your blade.”

The crowd erupted. This revelation would ruin Lonnie’s legacy. It would cement Alec’s status as not just a champion, but an exemplar of sportsmanship and fair play. As a final desperate move Lonnie threw his blade at Alec.

In his current state his reactions were a bit delayed, and instead of dodging the blade he put out his hand and, somehow, caught it by the handle upside down.

Lonnie fell over as the poison’s work approached its dark climax. Alec’s stunned stare at the crowd was taken as a calm confidence.

Madmen repeat a strange message all over, then fall unconscious.

quote:

"People of Havis ... If you're listening to this message it's because you're not primitive and pathetic!... You have radios. Or voodoo witch doctors that work like radios. Whatever! I don't care! Just - You're ... well your better than most I guess.

What I'm saying is you deserve robotic man servants. YOU - DESERVE - ROBOTIC MAN SERVANTS!! ... That's a basic human right, it's pathetic that you live without them.

I sell them! ... Okay?

Stop plowing your own farms! Stop defending your own village! Stop raising your own children! Stop loving your own loved ones! Kill Your Gods!! You can do everything you ever wanted to do now, and nothing that you didn't, with a ...

Here's how you get one! You bring me the scariest goddamn ANYTHING ... that you can fit on a boat. Or summon with magic. I don't care how you get it here - bring it to me! Do you have dragons? Do you have vampires? Bring them to me! I wanna fight 'em at the same time! Know where I can find a Kraken? Is there some kind of tear in reality near your repelling backward village? Actionable information that will lead me to nightmar-ish prey and extremely unholy sites will also be rewarded with a mech slave.

My name is Corinthian. When you land be sure to ask for Corinthian. Or the Death Drones will murder you for intruding! I made them! I am their God! And they enforce my will! Invade my island and I will burn your soul in plasma conductive hell-fire! I'll turn your whole being into an engine and plug you into a robot that feels pain constantly! And cleans my palace! Don't gently caress with me!

... So. Come get a Robotic Man Servant.... It's Corinthian…

Alec gets a feat. Once a day he can roll twice and take the better. If he has an actual opponent they will roll twice and take the lesser. I want to Call it Murmur’s Luck

Sister Jessica - Gnoll Settlement(Gnerk), Temperate Forest

The demon stared at Jessica for a while. Sharing a truename was a dangerous thing. Freeing a demon, no matter how evil, forced it to grant one favor or wish within its ability.

The monkey’s paw aspect was a lot less fun if they had your truename to rebind you if they disliked the interpretation.

“My favor will be to collect my power and begone from this realm forever. Corinthian made this look easy.” It sent out a blast of force that threw possessed gnolls free and encircled the two powers in a whirlwind of collecting demon-essence being sucked into the tree as water is down a drain.

“Syddeulon” It intoned softly.

Then, it buzzed and said, “Corinthian remains here, and sends word!”

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

Airagh, Dilapidated Shrine, Swamplands

In the Swamps Pregnant women are a force to be reckoned with. There are a great many difficulties as before, but they are moderated with the suite of abilities given to them by the goddess. The tribe you first contacted rapidly becomes sought after for their gifts and many begin to travel to spread their gifts and cure existing blight elsewhere in the swamps.

There is, however, a contingent of spinsters and men, followers of the old ways and medicine men and women that oppose this new development. Power is hard to give up, but their active resistance is quickly cut short between the blessings and curses of the women.

Several of this old guard are themselves pregnant. Men and old, they are unsure of themselves.

Some of the more oracular medicine people recite a strange message in unison and then have no memory of it.

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

You have pregger priestesses. High roll. They do good work. The swamplands are converting. One potential problem was solved though men delivering is going to be another

Your missile hits the bat right as it flies to the edge of the village. Your second hits it as it stumbles and shatters it just as the fish flops high over the cliff. Jax jumps to meet it, the axe obviously allowing him greater physical strength than normal. He catches the axe in its gills and it shatters sprinkling a frightened group with the crystal-residue. The poison-essence flees again. This time you are better prepared to watch as it travels into the poisoned lands and disappears roughly where the Beast had fallen.

The Axe and the Golems both intercept and speak a strange message

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

Two more golems down. The rest are closing near the cliff. A bit of an idea about the origin/source.

The book was made, imbued with your divine power. Your visions across the sea were interrupted by another signal, however.

Once the vampires saw what happened the rest quickly bent the knee. The wraiths were a bit transparent in their hostility, the Witches Coven did not respond to you at all, and the Cabal of Dark Magicians actually sent you a reverse-aging messenger whose response was a single cursed word that caused flowers to sprout from the heads of nearby zombies. The zombies all speak a strange message in unison as the messenger turns into a baby and disappears.

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

The random horrors and other dark creatures of this isle were never really open to discourse.

Your Book, Death and Decay, exists as a 1st tier magical tome. The vampires and their thralls have submitted. The rest, eh.

It wasn’t a group of masters. It seems that roughly a dozen adepts remained among the free’uns but three stood out.

The first, Ursson, looked to be a bit of a runt. Short, thin, he didn’t look like much. That is until he showed his specialty. A full body suit of psionically-created armor, and psionically generated weapons made him more than a match for almost any foe in melee combat.

The second, Misgul, was an average looking Big’un. His specialty was projecting force. Whether targeted missiles from the size of needles to tree trunks or a wide area push or pull he was lethal at a distance.

The third seemed almost catatonic. The others avoided her. She didn’t seem to have any ability until Garland himself tried to use his power and found it only possible with effort. Her power was denial. Within a certain range she would nullify the effects of psions and mind-benders alike. It is said that she escaped the dungeons of the Mind-Fortress. She has never spoken, but Ona demanded she be taken care of. The only word she will speak is “Eatah” and so by that word she is known. She looks confused as you regard her and recites a strange message in another’s voice. Without moving her mouth once opened.

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

The rest had basic abilities but lacked either the true power to do more or the proper training to control it. Adepts were a prized thrall for the mind-benders and they had been targeted prey for years.

You have three standouts(dnd PC level characters) and a dozenish adepts(lesser, npc low level chars.

Many increasingly complicated rituals were discussed until Folau, fueled by your divine inspiration, came up with a solution. “Why not just sing a song when a rainbow appears?”

Your musical instrument intercepts a strange message

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

Simple. Easy. Elegant. You got a big roll so this can spread very far.

ShinyStudy entered the control room, readouts and indicator lights and all manner of control panels filled the core. Flitting around the room was a roundish machine flitting from panel to panel seemingly fighting against the Angel Humphrey. It turned to regard ShinyStudy and gave an awful electronic screech.

Shinystudy ran and dodged the beam attacks from its eyes as Humphrey used the distraction to hack the remaining systems and with some divine assistance the Golem itself. The Golem played a strange message as it attacked.

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

Meanwhile directions for Shinystudy flashed in front of him as Hilary helped direct his movements to cover and out of the shifting pattern of beam attacks. His clothes were singed several times but aside from some burned feathers from a glancing strike he was uninjured by the time the Golem fell.

Humphrey had managed to turn it off.

A natural 12 saved your high priest from probable death. The Golem would take an additional action to reprogram but you have full control and access of the facility now.

Corinthian - The Docks - Ruined Metropolis - MP:1

Every Player, somehow, in their own way, gets this message.

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

Various other powers will as well. You are certain to get a response.

One piped up. “Maybe the old Law god, Ug...galug?”

Another chimed in. “Uh, or the Order god Jyg...awig?”

They seemed unable to remember the actual names of the old gods, such as they were wiped from this reality. They seemed to think they ran afoul of a law/order domain holder.

The undead portion caught a strange signal and slurred a message.

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

Arianrhod - Noone’s Camp

The Athame is imbued with a small measure of power, enough to ensure a link to yourself and be difficult to destroy while dealing better damage than a nonmagical weapon. It can also be used as a druidic focus. While you hold it you intercept a strange message.

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

None of the rest hear it. The group regards you highly, indeed you feel that strange new twinge of worship coming from them. Noone speaks for the group. “We had business with a tribal village deep in these woods. Worked metal items trade well there and they are very generous with rare herbs and things deep in this enchanted wood.” You get the sense that this is his most dangerous and profitable route of the year.

It is a third tier magic item. Weak in the scheme of thing but it still has power.

One of the Wind Riders forms a great cyclone and escapes your hole, flying fast and high in the direction he came. The rest groan or lay still, while one tries but seems unable to channel his power. That is the one that speaks. “What the gently caress are you?”

Deep in the mineral veins of your Mountainself you feel a message reverberate.

quote:

I sell them! ... Okay?

Mortals Critting, 12s errywhere. The Dice must be Crazy. One escaped, most are too hurt or dead to parley. One remains conversational.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

The elegance of that answer practically stuns Wegirn, and it immediately stands out in his mind as the correct choice. He even has the old song of from before the cataclysm to teach that suits the purpose. He immediately agrees that it would be the proper course of action, and by keeping the song the same the Serpent would know that Wegirn was honoring his promise. However there was still work to be done - his divine skills allow the words to translate well, but he thinks that some of the words would have to be changed to flow better in the local dialect of the islanders.

He starts to workshop this with Folau and his other companions, when suddenly he hears something out of place. He turns to look over his shoulder as his... lute starts playing something? It seemed like random vibration, random noise emanating from the strings unlike anything he had ever heard. He unshoulders the instrument and holds it in front of him, watching fascinated along with everyone else as the random noise resolved itself into... words?

quote:

People of Havis ... If you're listening to this message it's because you're not primitive and pathetic!...

He looks around at the others. That was... new.

"What in the hells was that? What's a robotic?"

Uhhh... gonna say that Wegirn is going to be busy trying to pull apart his instrument and figure out what the hell that was. Since this isn't anything he's dealt with before I'm gonna just roll on a +0 for Wegirn to try and unravel that mystery in character while Folau and the others rework the rain-bow shanty into something that flows in their language.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

The words the demon spoke were concerning, and mostly nonsensical to her ears. What was a robot? And why did the thing offering to sell them sound so shattered? She had spent much time in her mortal life caring for the mad and this voice would be right at home among their number. Disregarding that, this 'Corinthian' hadn't seemed to realize that he had made no mention of where this island of his was even located.

She focused her attention back to the matter at hand. She wished to inquire what that strange message was, and if the demon had any clues as to this Corinthian's nature, but it would be too dangerous. A bargain had been made. Asking more would risk a new bargain to begin for that knowledge, and Syddeulon would not divulge it cheaply. Better in this case to be ignorant and free than enlightened and indebted.

"I accept your proposal. Be at peace, Syddeulon, and go with my blessing. I will think kindly of you, despite your actions, in the hope that you will turn from your path." Demon it might be, but it had chosen to leave and trouble the world no longer. She could bear no true grudge against it, only sorrow for the pain it had wrought.

Turning her head, she took in the sprawled forms of the gnolls the demon had possessed. Would they thank her for this, or curse her for severing them from a source of power? Both, most likely, in turn. Resentment in the immediate probably. In time, gratitude perhaps as they grew wiser and came to understand what they had very nearly lost for all time.

"Stand up. I wish to see your faces. Stand up and know that your future is yours to decide again. Stand up and rejoin your brothers and sisters!"

Healing +2 to manifest an aura of strength, to reinvigorate the gnolls so they may recover swiftly from their ordeal. Meanwhile, Jessica will wait patiently, trusting the band she entered this forest with has fared well and will return soon now that the corruption had obviously been eradicated. She's done her part. The least they can do is come and untie her.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Diona nodded slowly as she listened to the strange message.

"Yeaaah, one of those Crime and Punishment types. Figured as much, but thanks for your confirmations folks!"

Diona paced around for a bit, trying to figure out what to do. She was still a small god, and did not know how affecting a powerful curse around an entire city would go. Her skills against a curse of unknown potency... potency... hmmm, where would she gain all that power. She paced around for a lil' bit more, occasionally airing a 'hmm' or an 'aah' or making a little pout. Until finally she stopped, and snapped her fingers.

She wouldn't have to find that power from anywhere! Because it was already there, in the form of the curse itself.

"It's a law curse", she stated, carefully, tasting the words, "It gains its powers from word and proclamation. All the power poured into it goes to keeping up the curse as written, right? So how about instead of trying to tear down and discontinue these "laws"" her airquotes were highly exaggerated, "We instead try to... amend?"

Diona withdrew a quill, and felt around for the curse, the godly presence, power, and edict. And then proceeded to write across it with bright red, bolded ink.

"All so that have sinned by means of vile debauchery are lost and in need of aid shall be brought to Salina by divine winds.", she mouthed of the words as she wrote them.

"And thereupon they stall stay", she turned to the skeletons, her face a bit forlorn, for but a moment, "Until they are ready to continue their journey, upon which time they are returned to their path."

She produced a powdered wig and a mallet from nowhere. "As High Judge and current resident divinity of Salina, I proclaim these amendments legally binding", she hit the air with her mallet twice, producing two sharp knocks, "With the following proclamation to follow:"

Diona looked up at the sky, and promptly flipped it off.

"Up yers, Uggawhoever, and eat a big one."

Diona uses Festivity [+2] and that Boost [+2] I got to reshape the curse instead of dispelling it completely. Instead of being an eternal horrible dance trap for sinners, it will be turned into a temporary party sanctuary for the lost and the desperate, thus making it Cool and Good instead of Kinda Evil.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 11, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

As the beasts reached the base of the cliff, Starke ceased his ranged assault. Instead he walked calmly over to near the edge. Once he found a spot to his liking he wound up a punch and then smashed his fist into the ground like an artillery shell. If a few rocks was enough to smash these things, then sending the entire cliff face cashing down on them ought to put a dent in their day. Even so, he kept his eye on the lion, trying as best he could not to damage it. He had other plans in mind for that, plans that required it to be in one piece.

Gonna use Strength[+2] to smash the cliff face and send it falling down on the gathered beasts as one hell of rock slide. Still trying to spare the lion if at all possible.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Murmur - Currently nowhere in particular, recently active near Corneria, Northern Plains

Corinthian posted:

Each word echoed around Murmur like thunder. Everywhere throughout the network of minds, no matter where it fled to the words endlessly repeated. Nothing had ever prepared it for something so pervasive, reverberating throughout the entirety of existence it knew it. While in the mortal world those who were mad or otherwise distanced from reality were verbally announcing the words every consciousness has at least some potential for madness. For thus, every subconscious mind was filled with Corinthian's message. To Murmur who existed in the dimension between thoughts the message was everywhere and lasted an eternity.

Meanwhile, in a darkened booth in the shadiest inn in Corneria...
Markus was the most famous assassin in three kingdoms, which was perhaps the worst possible thing for a man in his line of work. Assassins are nameless faceless people, they have no public reputation and cannot be tied to their crimes. The man who had trained him spent years working as an innkeep in a small town nobody had heard of and would occasionally travel out of town for "family reasons". Markus was a damned celebrity, every bodyguard knew his reputation and some even knew his enough about his likeness that no disguise was going to let him slip past.

This was why he had researched the two women he was about to meet just as thoroughly as if they were new targets, near as he could tell they were exactly who they claimed to be. Why exactly two of the most respected bards in this part of the world would go through an extreme vetting process to get a face to face with someone in his line of work was enough to pique his interest. Besides, if they wanted to try something they wouldn't be leaving the inn by the front door. While there might not be honour amongst thieves, the people he had bribed feared him enough to stay that way.

The taller one was finishing the pitch, and what a strange pitch it had been. "So in short, what we are offering is to remove your 'reputation' in exchange for the use of your very specific skill set." the shorter of the two chimed in "Of course we will let you verify our end of the deal before we expect you to..." she was clearly uncomfortable with what they were asking him to do. However, if they could genuinely deliver on what they offered he would be able to come out of retirement. This idle life of leisure did not suit him.

He abruptly decided, so long as he could ensure that there was no risk for him then they were free to attempt what the dozen mages had consulted had failed at. "Okay ladies, this is how it will work. I know who you are" the shorter looked momentarily aghast, the taller oddly reassured "Assuming you can deliver, then you task a journeyman bard with performing at the Drunken Galleon, they will dedicate a song to your target. Within three weeks the contract will be completed. I assume I don't need to explain that this is not a deal you wish to renege on.

Okay, so in my application I have a cabal of bards and storytellers who want to use me to their own ends. This is a plot hook more than anything else. They are offering to have me defame an assassin in exchange for a job. Also thematically I'm reeling from Corinthian's action.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

The strange broadcast was a curious thing, but she paid it no mind: Robotic servants would need to be fully Von Neumann-capable to warrant her attention.

Instead, those too old to bear, or lacking the physiological means to do so. It pleased her to see new life bloom, but she was determined to ensure that it be seen through to completion. So, let it rejuvenate those touched by age, let their bodies firm up and glow with life, let wrinkles fade and muscles strengthen, so that the strain may be bearable for the duration of their endeavour and any future endeavours.

Those restricted by their normally lesser gender, used only to seeding, let them blossom anew as they progress, joining the productive half of the species in body without losing that which makes them of their original half.

In both cases, let them be comforted and eased for the duration of their confinement. These blessings are to be appreciated, after all.

Maternity +2 to bring about physical changes in those too old or too male for this to ensure they may all have a successful pregnancy without excessive trauma.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Garland met with this new batch of psi talents. Each interesting, the adapts too hopefully could be trained in time. Garland's orders to the normal Big'uns for shoring up the defenses of the city were in effect. The message was odd, but also nonsense. He had better things to do.

Ursson posted:

Power: Psi Warrior - A full body suit of psionically-created armor, and psionically generated weapons that makr him more than a match for almost any foe in melee combat.

Garland set a task for Ursson to train 1/3 of the Adepts in his style of psionics. They would be battle leaders when the next assault came to defend the settlement.

Misgul posted:

Power: Projecting force - Whether targeted missiles from the size of needles to tree trunks or a wide area push or pull he is lethal at a distance.

Garland then set a task for Misgul to train the last 2/3 of Adepts in his style of psionics. This was lacking in the last battle and the Big'uns sorely needed ranged siege capability if they were to last against any future incursions.

Eatah posted:

Power: Denial - Within a certain range nullify effects of psions and mind-benders alike.

Garland then sat down next to Eatah. While everything else was going on, he set out to understand the what, how, and why of Eatah's ability.

OOC:
  • Garland's previous order to the Big'uns stand for shoring up the settlement defense.
  • Ursson will train 1/3 of the adepts in his psionic style. They will be war leaders when the time comes.
  • Misgul will train the last 2/3 of the adepts in his psionic style. Giving ranged capability and siege capability to the Big'uns forces.
  • Garland will work with Eatah using Psi [+2] to work out her gift.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 5, 2017

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

The others continue to remain aloof, but their time will come. In the end, all things shall come to his domain, Vamer realizes. Whether they or he likes it or not. But they shall not remain apart for long. With the vampires cowed and under his command, soon the others will follow. For now, he turns his attention to the vampire delegates before him.

"You've chosen...wisely." The mindless doll of the Count speaks.

Vamer stands up and walks forward, his steps deathly silent. "A new age dawns. One of...gods." The message remains a reminder that despite his new power, others exist and maybe even beings just as great. "Joining my fold shall see us all on the great journey to defeat Death." The words holds a physical weight, shattering the air as he speaks them.

"The others shall soon join us, whether of their own will or undeath remains to be seen. Once the Island Black is mine, nothing shall stop me from learning its full secrets and ascending to greater power. For now, you shall find succor in my embrace." A bony finger points to Countess Ivana, one of the more elder vampire yet no less beautiful for it. "Countess, you shall lead your people in my name and preach to them the holy words I have written. For they have power now, to sustain those who fight off deaths touch and keep them whole. Kneel, and be the first to receive my benediction."

Using Decay+2 to develop my priests system of miracles/spells. I see this taking different forms as spoken by different beings. For the vampires? Satisfying their thirst in the form of communion or a Create Blood/Sate Thirst miracle, possibly some minor resistance to sunlight as well.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 5, 2017

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Hilary was somewhat startled to be contacted by a strange God in the midst of his battle and... it wanted to be destroyed?! It would have been something he would have quickly ignored except he had just faced a killer golem. But could such a contraption seriously challenge something capable of this broadcast. Still it was only polite to respond. Hilary tapped into the facilities coded communication network.

“Dear Corinthian, I am also in possession of some robots. Some of which are quite adept at killing. I am sending one to you in a gesture of good faith. I hope that you are satisfied with its attempts to vaporise you. I will send it to your broadcast location with instructions to destroy whoever challenges or attacks it. Considering I am not much in need of robotic man servants perhaps you could offer me some kind of reward that would be more useful to one with our capabilities and responsibilities over this world. I look forward to a fruitful relationship.”

Hilary spoke to Humphrey.

“While I am busy with this please work with Shinystudy to start figuring out how we can best use this facility to educate and care for his people.”

I reprogram the golem to fly to Corinthian’s location and destroy whatever attacks or challenges it. And I ask Humphrey to work with Shinystudy so the crow people can properly settle into the facilities, learn how to use them and continue their education.

Written Word +2

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Arianrhod - Noone’s Camp>The Lost Woods

"Yes! It is done! I-" Arianrhod raises the completed athame in triumph right before a torrent of absurdity fills her brain. She mulled over several possibilities;

-the overgod was messing with her
-she had gone too far, too many mushrooms, and was now full crazy
-there were other beings like her out there. Stood to reason that she wasn't the only favorite of the overgod.

With three the most likely, with likely some help from two, she mulls over the meaning of this before she realizes people are staring at her. "Oh, yes! I can see if this village is still okay, but I have a theory as to what is causing the haint infestation and need to pursue it. I will try to check on them as well. Where were they located? If you need help from me while I'm gone, concentrate and think while holding this," She hands over the athame. Arianrhod thought about doing something like cutting herself and letting the blood thicken the bond but that would hurt and be lame. "and I'll reply as best I can. Is there anything else I can help you with before I go?" She begins to mark her forehead once again with marks of warding, pending heading back into the ghost filled forest.

Handing over the athame, seeing if they need anything else before I take off, if they don't, waiting until daybreak, then Warding myself and Reactivating Astral Sight with [Druidism+2] and wading back into the haint taint to search for that village as well as that astral person that flew away.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 6, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

That… “speech” was certainly not something Ur Tau was not going to answer any time. Not unless the creature comes here himself. Maybe when humans are settling in, perhaps he’d look into where it came from...

Besides, there was another matter to attend to. At least one of these humans seemed willing to talk. Shame that the human didn’t seem to listen to a word.

“Human… I am Ur Tau Mica… And these lands ... are mine… and they have been mine… since the Cataclysm… Who are you… to think you can… obstruct my view from on high?”

Fine… Let’s talk with the wind bandit. Maybe he’ll provide something helpful if he’s not going to say yes.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

You have no idea why your instrument captured that message. It was just a mundane item you have used since your mortal days. Perhaps it lensed on the edge of your aucustic aura, or some such techno-magical babble. Folau does make mention that the tales of the old lands speak of messages that pass through the air without a sound and metal men. From her tales and ones you know you can take a guess at the location.

The song has gone well, a simple tune and stanza so that any and all could learn it in an hour and recall it easily.

You chalk it up to a quirk of divinity, I guess? I was trying to handwave the message in, so what I did give you was the location-ish. Northern Island. Think like the British Isles or Japan or something.

You are released and taken back to the gnoll settlement. The demonic taint had been cleansed, and its vestige removed. The demon itself, painfully partially purified, returned to the realm from which it came to nurse itself back to health and bother some other land. Your healing does not merely heal the recent demonic damage, that was taken care of previously. You heal them deeply, within their souls. An ancient touch of demonic power in them was washed clean. You can almost hear its progenitor roar in rage as the power was stripped away and replaced with divine healing.

You may reshape the gnolls. Like, change their race. Please don’t go too out there with this, but you can redesign them, make them human, make them a less feral beastfolk, plant people, just no headaches for me ok?

The Overgod blinked. The proclamation would be relayed to the god in question. The assistance given to this one pushed the power of its action beyond what was expected. It drew upon its resources to bring in help…

The amendment was binding with the force of law. Havis itself shuddered for a second as the changes took effect. Those lost and in need of aid would find themselves here in Salina, which was itself changing to a vast hospitality mecca. The enormity of what she had done hit Diona just as the thankful spirits were departing and new sprites began to move in. Appearing as orbs of light with wings the hospitality faeries appeared en masse to assist the world-wide influx of those lost and in need.

You did a BIG thing. Bonus non-worshiper helper race because drat, you are gonna need it.

The town would have to move after this, probably, but the cliff face comes crashing down. The Rat falls and the Dog, Wolf, and horse are crushed in the rubble. The Rabbit leaps up as the cliff face falls. Jax strikes it as it lands. Making use of the force of it falling and a wound up swing he shatters it as well in a powerful strike. The maiden has appeared, and fires arrows at the poison clouds. They shine with a holy golden light and explode in a flash when they hit the retreating energies. A howl comes from deep within the poison-lands. The bones of the Beast are beginning to rise from the ground.

The Lion, Bear, Turtle, and Elephant remain. You are doing well in combat. Strange. Well your big bad is reforming. ⅓ to completion.

A certain assassin whose name is forgotten finishes his kill. He cleans up and returns to his lodging, nodding at the innkeeper. The inkeeper stops him. “Excuse me, do you have a room here?” After a bit of back and forth the man is apparently in the ledger, despite the inkeeper having no recollection of him.

Everyone forgets this guy within a few minutes. He’ll get around it for the downsides but you feel a distinct ping as something anathema to your domain happens. To be forgotten is the opposite of fame.

The Party

A small army of monsters lays dead at the mouth of a cave. A few arrows and a spear stick out of an adult dragon, its scales singed and a rogue climbing out of its mouth, cleaning brain and viscera off her short sword.

“Ugh.” She said. “Hard to hurt that bastard.” She started to bind her wounds as Penny helped. They then lit their lanterns and entered the cave. It was a short walk to a larger area. A few ghouls were easily cut down. In the center was a strange object. An iron cage with a shifting glowing light within. The mage began a ritual to identify the object and screamed as the knowledge came. “Monsters! It makes monsters!” He screamed, the power shock of the item causing him harm and distress.

It was then Penny activated the stones to call upon her benefactor spirit.

It is a powerful monster spawning cube. Well it isn’t a cube, but in a three dimensional reality it appears as such. The Mortals have done well but have reached their limit.

They would need some extra attention as the birthing happened, but those with child would be able to bear them. They presume the changes are temporary.

The people praise you for curing the blight and blessing their children.

Good job, you’re free to play around in this area.

The adepts learned quickly. Whether it was the presence of their god or that they had hope for their future some even cross-trained with some success. They took to shoring up the defenses as they tested their abilities and trained among each other.

Eatah remained an enigma. She had obviously suffered neglect and abuse. Her speech wasn’t damaged it was hadly even there. Physically she had broken bones set wrong, deep scars from bindings, bed sores, and whips. Stretch marks on her belly even belied at least one pregnancy during her captivity. Her potential was greater than Ona’s but she had been completely untrained. Her denial ability prevented any gentle mental probing, the ability itself seemed a form of repression, a mental and emotional response to a particular trauma. It spiked whenever she said “Eatah”. She seemed to be trying to tell you something. An accusation. A warning.

Defenses are great. The training went Excellent. You get a sense of Eatah, but you cannot access the core of her mind directly without a concerted effort and she will resist you at every turn due to her trauma in captivity.

The vampires learn a Create Blood spell under your tutlage. They are surprised to taste it, untainted and true. It helps them overcome their skepticism about a resistance to sunlight. While still uncomfortable they can last up to half an hour in direct sunlight and indefinitely in complete shade while channeling the power. Your army looks to you for their orders.

You have a vampire clan under your command.

ShinyStudy’s mastery is less than total, but going from semi-nomadic refugee to controlling a computer-run military superbunker city he is doing pretty dang well. Humphrey is happy to assist the bird men and their families moving into the facility. More arrive every day from the scattered groups. They’ll be far short of the building’s capacity but they are glad to finally have a safe, secure home.

The Golem takes off with a number of hidden security forces. It is making the final strike against its ancient enemy. Fortunately it cannot access the commands for the strategic missles…

Birds moving in, Shinystudy is doing okay considering, Golem is off to blow up some rubble and not blow up Corinthian.

Arianrhod - The Village, The Lost Woods

You find your way easily, though you hear ethereal sounds you cannot see that figure from before. A few elders and shamans chant in the center of town while warriors stand ready but afraid and the rest peek out from their huts and homes. You are a stranger but the ways of these people seem very familiar to you. You see a protective aura around the settlement. All of them wear crystals like the ones the haints are tied to.

You find the Village!

It looked at you quizzicaly before an understanding dawned. “You are an Earth elemental. I see. I serve the Air Elemental.” He looked at his fellows. “I was searching for a boy who took one of our stones. It allows us to use the power of the Air Elemental. Or contact it. It is our property and the boy could be harmed if he attempts to use it improperly.” He gave a bit of a smile. “If you could allow me to get the stone and collect my dead I will leave your land and never return so long as you control it.”

Corinthian - An exploding warscape, Northern Continent

One screeched. “Multipile Hostile contacts sir, it seems The Enemy heard your broadcast!”

Missles that aren’t cut down by your powered defenses hit the islands with terrible force, further ruining the ruins. If there were any mortals remaining on the islands they are now dead. Soon after a handful of magical horrors appear, tearing apart the base defenses. What looks like a mass of skeletons attempts to eat you.

Above all a Beholder Golem fires eye beams and attempts to take over the computer-controlled elements of your base. One screeches a messsage as its eyes glow the same as the Golem and it stabs at your power core.

quote:

“Dear Corinthian, I am also in possession of some robots. Some of which are quite adept at killing. I am sending one to you in a gesture of good faith. I hope that you are satisfied with its attempts to vaporise you. I will send it to your broadcast location with instructions to destroy whoever challenges or attacks it. Considering I am not much in need of robotic man servants perhaps you could offer me some kind of reward that would be more useful to one with our capabilities and responsibilities over this world. I look forward to a fruitful relationship.”

It relays some location data and a brief biography of Hilary as it attempts to strangle you.

Seems like dark magic and some technologically advanced attacks. At least two distinct sources. The missles were from subs laying in wait. If the main bunch had gone off you’d be the only thing left on the island.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

With the immediate problems dealt with, her priestesshood established, population burgeoning and free of taint, the people prosperous and worshipful, it was time to deal with a cosmetic issue.

"Would you look at the state of my Shrine? It looks as if someone has thrown rocks at it. Restore it to its glory, and add to it a creche and maternity chamber, so that those who act in my service and do honour to me through their abundance may always have a place that will properly support and nurture them, and that my Priestess-Mothers have a place they may call home, and duties to which they may attend if the wandering life is not for them."

Repairing the shrine and expanding it with facilities appropriate for Airagh's faith, +2 Maternity for, well, the maternity wing.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Murmur - Pravoka, Northern Plains

To Murmur the instant loss of fame was strange, it didn't exactly hurt but it felt wrong, the world needed more heroes and villains.

The masterbards Constance and Gwendolin slept upstairs in the finest inn in Pravoka. Their task complete, they were now headed away from Corneria as fast as possible. Their god, whom they had misused had other plans. While not angered exactly, as the closest thing to a priesthood Murmur had it expected them to expand the domain of their god. While they slept they dreamed and while the conscious mind was difficult for Murmur to communicate with, the subconscious was a different story.

Gwendolin had always had an amazing voice, it was almost magical the way she sung. She was one of the rare talents who were capable of overtone singing, the ability to sing with two voices at once. She had in her day performed before kings and emperors. She was most famed for her performance upon Kleserf Mountain. When an ancient dragon had demanded the most valued thing in the kingdom, a young Gwendolin had sung to it for three days. It was of the dragon she dreamed, and how narrowly she had escaped the life of a caged songbird.

Constance was a storyteller, while not as famous as Gwendolin she was the most travelled member of the bardic college. She had spent her life collecting stories from every people across the land so they would never be forgotten. It was during this enterprise that she had first realised that certain stories were beginning to fulfil themselves and in doing so discovered the nascent god Murmur. Constance may not have charmed a dragon, but she was wise in the ways of the world and cunning beyond measure. She dreamed of lands that had not known the presence of man in millennia and the stories that lay hidden.

Suddenly they woke in unison, imprinted upon their minds was the realisation that they had mistreated their god. They had used their god for their own ends, for this transgression their god had a task for each. Without being told they knew of their task and the divine reward should they succeed.

If Gwendolin succeeded in helping Penny and Pierce in the forest, a beautiful songbird will come to be. So long as it is free from captivity it will sing her most famous aria, a haunting melody of love and loss. If she accomplishes her task, her voice will be heard wherever they fly. This will likely mean she will forever be remembered as the greatest of mortal singers.

If Constance succeeds in helping the swordsman Alec and the budding witch Ethyl she will be gifted an indestructible book that will collect the most famed stories from all the lands and scribe them upon it's endless pages. It will sit forever in the great hall of the Bardic College and people will travel from all nations to see it and reclaim their legends. No great story will ever be lost again. The Tome of Constance will fulfil her life's work and preserve knowledge for ages to come.

Okay Murmur is not terribly happy with them. They are now being given a quest to aid others in becoming famous +2 Fame. Gwendolin is to find two budding heroes who have ventured into the forest and Constance is to find a witch and a swordsman. Gwendolin is to help the two in the forest become the mighty heroes they can, Constance is to assist the others upon their less noble paths. I am not making the items at this point, I intend this to be binding however and I will spend the actions required to craft them if the quests are completed.

Content to Hover fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 11, 2017

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Jessica sat at the chief's side, laughing quietly as one of the gnoll warriors acted out a bawdy tale. A gnollish hero of yore who had, through his wits and skill, fended off numerous threats to his tribe. The current story had him attempting to seduce a volcano, with predictably disastrous but amusing results. Things seemed well in the village, and the feast was in full swing as they celebrated the demise of the corruptive influence of the wood.

"...And it was so thoroughly boiled, they've been red ever since!" The storyteller sat down with a wicked grin and drained a flask of ale while the listeners laughed appreciatively.

As the drums picked up once more, Jessica turned to address the chief. "Your hospitality is much appreciated, and the warriors you sent with me served well. I owe you and your people much. Therefore, if there is ought you would ask of me, do so. A god I may be but it is my place and pleasure to serve. The lot of mortals is a hard one and I wish to ease it however I can. All I ask in return is your trust and your support. Grant me that, and I will will grant your every desire if it is in my power to do so."

Probably it was unwise to say that. Avarice fed easily on the slightest of scraps, and she had put a banquet before this gnoll. Yet mortals were and should be free to do as they wished. So long as they turned away from the demonic, she would respect the choices they made and pick up the pieces should the choices prove foolish.

I'll opt to leave the gnolls as-is.

Jessica is offering to stick with this tribe, both out of gratitude and the fact that they are the primary source of faith she has. It would not be a bad idea to build that up and utilize the tribe in expanding her sphere of influence. However, if the chief feels her presence would be troublesome she will respect that. There is the entire rest of the world that could use her talents.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Starke streched for a moment, and then leaped into the frey. A great axe appeared in his hand and he began to smash the remaining crystal beasts intending to leave only the Lion remaining.

Gonna generate some weapons and then smash the crap out of all the remaining statues but the lion. Strength[+2] to hit them with weapons with enough force to shatter them.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Garland gasped at what had been done to Eatah.

Eat. Her. They were eating Big'Uns to boost their own powers. Garland clenched a fist in fury. It wasn't a gift at all he realized. Just sheer Big'Un stubbornness and a will to never have it happen again. Injustice like this...could not stand. Garland knew he must try now, he was a god after all. He would create a boo, granting the Big'Uns immunity to Francis and his minons' power. No creature under Garland's protection would go down without a fight. Walking meekly into the night.

He threw a hand up to the heavens and used all of his might.

OOC:
[*]Using Psi [+2] to create a boon. Hardmind: Immunity to charm effects, glamor, or illusion

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Arianrhod decides the best approach is the most direct and approaches the village, hand raised in peace. "Greetings, I am Arianrhod and I come to you to aid with the haints that plague this woods. I must speak to your elders and shaman." Presuming she gets an audience, she explains why she's there and what she's found out. "...I noticed several crystals binding the haints to the ground, like the ones you wear around your neck. I fear there is a connection. How long has the haint infestation gone on and what event marked the start of it? Also," she turns to one of the shaman "Have you seen the astral form of a person flitting around the woods?"

Introducing myself and explaining the situation and asking some questions. [Druidism+2] if I need to demonstrate some credentials to have them believe me.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Corinthian - An Exploding Warscape - Northern Continent

Corinthian and One strolled down the ruined metropolis, Corinthian ranting as One patiently listened. "-No time at all One. Believe me. That ad was golden. Theres gonna be a world full of monsters here in no time at all. And just the really good ones! ... It's gonna be like Hell. A small little slice of Hell. Teeming with nightmares and blood, just like home. Believe me One. It's gonna be just like-"

An explosion tore through the metropolis, first in the distance sending shrapnel plumes soaring above the horizon. And then countless metal bursts of artillery as missiles showered on the city. The building across from Corinthian and One took an impact and the block ahead was engulfed in light as Corinthian was thrown bodily into the air. He experienced flight, for a moment, the ruined metropolis racing beneath him. He'd fallen before, sure. But never with as much apparent speed. Perhaps it was foolish but, he felt hopeful. Almost giddy. Some stupidly gullible corner of his mind really thought that maybe, just maybe, the impact would kill him.

It did not. He crashed mid-way up the length of an abandoned office building, miraculously still standing amidst the chaos. He crossed through twelve separate walls and the whole length of the building before crashing into a fountain on the ground in the center of a decorative plaza surrounded by large buildings. Some sort of administrative center, Corinthian guessed as he brushed the ruined ceramics of the fountain off his shoulder and hopped into the ankle high pool beneath him. The missiles continued to fire, the debris of a thousand charred ruins painted the sky a sinister orange. And Corinthian was really happy. For the first time in a long time. He jumped out of the pool at a light sprint, unsure of where he was going but excited for whatever came next. If his golem were capable, he'd have been grinning ear to ear.

A great sucking noise consumed the plaza, loud like a jet engine. Suddenly a tear in reality appeared emitting a brilliant and shadowy emerald light, so intense as to bathe the entire plaza. A low growl escapes from the tear and, in one very sudden motion, a skeletal arm breaks through the gap. Like an infant breaking out of an egg, more of the creature's form came into view in small pulses as it invaded our reality. Many skeletons, conjoined unnaturally in a ball of feelers and pseudo limbs. Corinthian let out an exasperated shout. "Is this some kind of joke!?"

He marched over to the tear and immediately four separate skeletal arms clutched his throat and shoulders. Corinthian hesitated not at all and grabbed a newly spawned skull in both hand. "Get over here you son of a bitch." Corinthian said, yanking the head violently backwards. He planted his feet and pulled with all his might, physically dragging the monster out of the tear in reality. It seemed confused for a moment as it dropped to the ground, unsure of its footing in this new reality. But it continued attempting to strangle Corinthian, even as the golem was now climbing on top of it, head butting skulls until they shattered.

"One of you fuckers has got a brain still! *Crunch* And I'm gonna find it! *Crunch* Is this poo poo supposed to scare me!? *Crunch* I'm from Hell. We invented Legions! *Crunch* And we stopped making you a millenia ago because that's when you became obsolete! A Legion isn't as effective as a single turret! *Crunch* You're strictly the domain of Hobbyists!"

The Legion wasn't having any success strangling Corinthian, but neither was it smart enough to adjust it's strategy. It failed and tried beating itself against ground but, it was clearly hurting itself more than its opponent with these efforts. From out of the sky a drone descended at incredible speeding, stopping inches in front of Corinthian and Legion with the force of a sonic boom. Corinthian paused to pay it a little bit of attention. The drone was at least curteous, relating a message from "Hilary", who was directly responsible for the vaporization attempt. What a nice guy! And now the drone was offering to duel anyone who challenged it. Corinthian made a mental note to do something kinda mostly nice for Hillary after all this was over and then shouted, "I, Corinthian, and my closest ally, this useless bag of human skeletal remains, challenge you to a duel!"

Corinthian is going to fight the skeletal mass and the Laser Eye Drone at the same time, with the Caveat that he has told the drone the Skeleton Mass is Corinthian's ally. If [+2]Artifacture is helpful to me convincing the drone to kill the Legion on my behalf, the I'll apply it there. Otherwise I won't be using a godly action this turn. If you want to apply at to this round of results, my plan is to interrogate the skeleton after, or one of it's friends, and find out who sent them to my island. Corinthian was so offended by this half hearted attempt to kill him he now plans to cause some misery for the person who sent the monsters. He was, on the other hand, very satisfied with Hilary's murder attempt.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Hilary felt something like a pause of relief. After guiding this people into this mountain and working so hard to secure them a safe place it seemed like they finally had control. However, this was only the beginning. Now that the people's physical needs would be met it was time to see to their societal and spiritual needs. He called Shinystudy to the Golden Sanctum.

"Shinystudy, you have served me well. You have served your people well. But to carry the burden of a whole society on your shoulders is too much. Walk amongst your people. Find the wise. Find the shrewd. Find the caring. Find those who love the word. Bring them before the Sanctum so that I may give them a touch of the blessing I have given you. Then we will begin a convocation of the people and set out the statutes on which the people can be joined together in purpose."

---

When Shinystudy headed out Hilary spoke with Humphrey.

"Although the people are safe here in our home, that broadcast we received before disturbed me. Perhaps there are no more threats inside the mountain we know nothing apart from the broadcast from the madman Corinthian. Perhaps he will be a friend, though it is strange that he sought us to send destruction to him. But if the golem could not defeat us then I doubt it will give him satisfaction. I wish for you to look and see if there are any other contacts with our systems. Probe them and see if they are open or closed, friendly or hostile. Find the borders of our domain. The limits of our ability. Maybe even others who might need the Word. Go in peace."

Sending Shinystudy to gather a good mix of people to form a government/priesthood of the people. I will then bless them with Written Word +2. Then we're gonna call together a big conference of the birds with these as their representatives. If all goes well I'd like to try and draft a Ten Commandments/Code of Hammurabi/Magna Carta/Constitution next turn.

Sending Humphrey to go and use the facilities communication systems to see what we're actually connected to. Perhaps there are the remnants of a world wide web or at least communication lines connecting this facility with others like it. Maybe meet some more vault dwellers. I don't expect him to come back with a response immediately as he has the freedom to search as long as he sees fit.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Wegirn - Tropical Archipelago, Arrival?

He slowly triangulates the location of the message. It was very distant, far too far to deal with right now. He files it away for investigation at a later date.

When they arrive at the shipbuilding island, he is hopeful. There were a great many docks here, and a large number of people. Perhaps more adventure seekers could be found, and it certainly looks like there will be ships available for purchase. Perhaps on this larger island there would even be a bit of unused coastline to build a more permanent structure, but this was all for later.

As the ship docks, Wegirn will tell his new acolytes to spread out and begin searching for potential ships. But first things first - he would go around with Folau and begin spreading the Song of the Serpent to all the sailors and captains, and tell them to spread it on their travels as well.

Going to use Skald +2 to try and get this song spreading at this port, and hopefully they'll carry it to other ports and so on.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Woah."

"Well, umm, I suppose that works at least, haha!"

Really, Diona could not help but be surprised at the pure potency of the magics she had wrought. But then again, she also chose not to dwell on it. She was God, this was a victory and a happy ending. It was not a time for doubt.

It was a time for a party.

Victory party :toot: using Festivity [+2] to ease Salina to its new role, also a chance for Diona to check it out in action before she departs to other adventures.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

The sun sets on the island and the creatures of the night come out to revel or feed, engage in dark arts or explore their own unmortality. In this particular case, they march forth in orderly lines. Vamer rides a pale dead horse at its head, Landers and Kled by his side. The Countess trails behind, leading her contingent of vampires. Silent and uncomplaining, skeletons bring up the rear. They march for the center of the wraiths power here on Island Black.

"I must secure the island and its peoples before I can channel its energies to ascend further. To this end, all must either kneel and swear to me, leave the island, or face true death." he speaks to his followers as they ride. "The wraiths will be our first target. They pose the greatest risk of hidden attack later, given their nature, and if they were to scatter finding them all would take too long."

Vamer and his forces march on the wraiths!

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Airagh, Airagh’s Shrine, Swamplands

An area was set up next to the shrine, a waystation would be built in due time, but it was by mortal hands instead of divine will. The Shrine indeed repaired itself by Airagh’s will empowered by the increased worship the recent wave of miracles.

Feel free to dress up the shrine how you like. Maybe a picture I don’t know. The roll was too low to include the Maternity Annex but your shrine is pretty again.

Murmur - Pravoka, Northern Plains

Constance did not fare well. Alec’s success had parleyed him into an officer in the Pravokan Army, making good progress against the stubborn bandits of the wind-lands. With his luck it seemed very little else could aid him. When she found the Witch Ethyl, however, she herself the became the victim of a Hex. The dream comes true, in a way, though she never intended to become the book in question. Ethyl does not care for others outside her own growing coven to know her identity, though she enjoys hearing tales of her results.

Gwendolin finds the party easily enough. She merely followed the trail of dead monsters. When she catches up with them she finds them fighting...something strange. Just as they kill it a cube made of iron bars grows and it shifts into a different form. The warrior, the ranger, the rogue, and the mage all seem weary, though they continue to fight well as a team. She begins to play her instrument and sing a tale of their victory, and she comes to the verse about their god coming to their aid in their hour of need.

The book happened. Though not how anyone expected. Offically telling you that you need to intervene with the +2 Monster Cube. It’s on your level, not theirs. The monsters it spawns are anywhere from a dire rat to an adult dragon but it keeps pumping them out.

Resolve this situation and you will get your +2

Sister Jessica - Gnoll Settlement(Gnerk), Temperate Forest

The gnolls conferred amongst each other. Their way of life as outsiders was over now that the ancient demonic curse was lifted from their very souls. Humans would take a long time to accept them, but if they took up their god’s cause…

“We want to be healers. Our kind has done much harm through the years and we would like to begin to work off that debt.”

You have completed your arc, have a dedicated tribe of worshipers, and have healed your entire starting area and tribe. Some super lucky rolls were involved but you Gain a +2

Starke - Edge of the Poisoned Lands

Though you feel a slight drain of your power you smash through the remaining creatures without much difficulty. A few arrows fly from above, striking every other retreating retreating cloud of poison animus. Jax, however, found himself disarmed and pinned by the Lion. It stands over him with its mouth open, attempting to eat his...soul? Heroism?

Meanwhile the Skeletal Beast continues to rise and shake off the debris it was buried in.

Only the Lion remains. Jax finally did less than one of the creatures. Beast is at 2/3

It works. Even those without obvious Psionic aptitude seem to accept the boon. Those of your trained adepts can even project it. Never again would they be prisoners in their own minds. The trickling in of those freed in the last battle has seemed to stop. The last group mentioned that “The Palace” was on the move. Those with knowledge claimed it was held together by the slaves of this Francis. If it was moving, that meant the Mind-Master was coming. A wave of fear moved through the minds of the Big’Uns despite all that has happened of late. They had hidden, been besieged, and fought a long and harsh losing guerilla war for as long as anyone could remember.

They would need a decisive victory, not just by their god but of their own, in order to begin to heal from the crimes committed against them.

You can wait for them to come to you and prepare the defenses(which are currently as optimal as they can do by themselves) or mobilize those able to fight and meet the coming forces head on. Or some crazy other option this is godgame go wild.
Oh and it was just shy of being a true racial trait instead of a boon to all present. Including those recovered from the other side in the opening battle you are just shy of a thousand people, more than half of whom are able to fight.

A long and story-filled night gets you most of the information you require. The stones are meant to hold the souls of the people, allowing for contact with the ancestors. Typically a tree is planted with the body and the crystal is buried. Since the Cataclysm only those who died with “unfinished business” might become haints, or those killed without justice.

The form you saw was apparently their old Elder-Shaman. He wanted to use the crystal to live forever. Something that had been forbidden. He had hidden his crystal somewhere, and was executed when caught. Apparently he had constructed a golem-body around his crystal. Shortly thereafter he was sighted, and the ancestors have been turning into haints ever since.

Mixed in with these stories is the tale of the great crystal falling from the sky in an ancient cataclysm. A comet that ferried the dead was crashed into the realm, and a part landed in the deepest portion of the forest.

They like you. I could not do the tales justice.

Corinthian - An Exploding Warscape - Northern Continent

The golem means business. It destroys the skeletons. It destroys a lot of your robots.

It even manages to harm You. You find your golem form damaged for the first time. You still cannot escape it, but moving around takes all your knowledge of its intricate mechanics. The golem hovers over your broken form, still trying to destroy you.

A glowing portal appears nearby, with instructions to send the promised mechanical-constructs through it.

You take one damage, reducing you to +0.

The leadership gathered, but many scoffed at ShinyStudy’s claims of having a new god. They accused him of madness, of creating a cult in this place. He was bound and confined to a cell while the others discussed how to deal with this place.

Humphrey sorted through the data. There seemed no external friendly locations left, though a signal from outside the plane remained current. It was a high priority signal, and it had only one word. “Status?” It had been playing for at least two hundred years.
ShinyStudy did rather poorly, but Humphrey managed to find an extraterrestial signal.

Wegirn - Moku, Tropical Archipelago

For some reason the odd ritual takes. Whether it a fear of the serpents or just sailor’s superstition, the song spreads through the island and its sailors will continue to spread it throughout the others. A rather wealthy son of a shipbuilding clan approaches you.

“It is said you are a god telling tales of adventure. I don’t desire the life of my forefathers. I want to sail and see the world. I can get a fine ship if you can get a crew together. We could go anywhere in the islands, and with luck we could even go beyond.”

Crazy high roll, you get everything.

It was a mighty party, the newcomers were ushered into a place where their immediate needs could be tended to and then allowed to acclimate to the party before they would be given what they needed and sent back along their way. While the sprites were a great deal of help, it quickly became apparent that Salina lacked the infrastructure and supplies to maintain this level of hospitality for very long. Some temporary aid was provided by Diona’s power, but something more permanent would be required if Salina was going to succeed in its new role.

This is going to turn into a shithole without some work being put into it.

The wraiths managed to fend off the assaults of the vampires without taking too much harm or losses, but they proved weak to the army of the undead. Landers especially took to slaying the ethereal creatures while Kled’s spells bound them, harmed them, or caused them to flee at his discretion. When Vamer finally unleashed his power it was the final blow. The unsentient, belligerent wraiths were bound or destroyed.Those with remnants of sentience offered a surrender with the terms that they would gain a boon like the vampires. They required life energy to sustain them as the vampires required blood. It made for a painful half-life they experienced and absorbing life made it slightly bearable for a time.

They surrender and ask for a boon to assuage their own downside to immortality.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Murmur - The Forest, Northern Plains

In every tale there is an essence of truth, the song that Gwendolin sung was no exception. Their god would indeed come to their aid. Murmur was not and had never been a physical being, so combat could never be fought in the mortal realm.

The story
There is a tale so old that the origin is lost even to the most knowledgeable of sages, it tells of a time before the cataclysm when the gods took mortal form and wandered far and wide across the lands. It is the story of the most famous of these gods, the brothers Ikol and Roht.

Ikol was a trickster god, so when the brothers hungered he would trick farmers out of their cattle that they might feast, Roht was a god of battle, he was so strong that when he thirsted he smote the ground with such force that he changed the rivers path so that they might drink.

The people of the land pleaded with their gods not to take from them their food and not to flood their crops, but the gods ignored them. "You should worship us and give thanks that we let you keep anything" said Ikol "You should give thanks that my blows destroy your crops and not your homes" said Roht.

The people wept, for what could a mortal do but bow before their gods. Their lamentations were heard by Ryerf, the god of the harvest. Ryerf knew that he could not trick Ikol or battle Roht so he asked Nido the father of the gods to stop his rampaging brothers. Nido looked down from the his mountain home at his wayward sons and was not pleased.

The next day as the sun started to go down and the brothers were beginning to set up camp Ikol spied a light in the distance. "Brother" he said "Maybe that is a farmhouse, we can take from it's owners and save ourselves the effort of making camp". Roht was happy at the chance to avoid work, so they ventured towards the light.

When they arrived they saw a mighty hall, with great lanterns that shone like the moon and doorways twice the height of the brothers. Roht suggested that they claim it as their own, for surely no one could be more worthy of such a magnificent hall than the divine brothers. Ikol was wary "We shall approach in the form of mortals and gamble with the lord. When he loses we shall take his home as forfeit."

When the brothers arrived they saw before them a mighty feast, at the head of the table sat a wizened old man who smiled at them. "Come and join us, food and drink is about to be served and you shall have your fill. As they sat and talked, Ikol bragged of their prowess. Ikol said that no one at the table could match he or his brother for they were the best at everything.

The host frowned, "I do not like to call any man a liar, especially not guests in my home. If you insist in competing and as you sit at our table already I will let you prove yourself." he motioned to a child at the far end of the table, "I doubt you could eat faster than my son, nor could you empty his cup."

Roht laughed out loud, "I can drink more than any man" he said as he grabbed the tankard that sat next to the child. He took one mighty gulp, then a second and finally a third before he put the cup down. "Your ale is not to my liking, or I would have finished it" Ikol looked at his brother, never having seen him lose his thirst before.

A great boar that had been roasting upon a spit was placed before Ikol, The old man said "You shall start at one end and my son at the other, when the beast is finished we shall see who has consumed more" Ikol ate as fast as he could, from the other end he could hear the sound of crunching. When finally they met in the middle he looked up and the child had devoured even the bones leaving only the spit itself.

Their host looked up again and said "You have eaten and drunk with us well into the night, it would please me to offer you rest in one of my many rooms before you continue your journey tomorrow." The brothers agreed, and were shown to the most extravagant and luxurious room they had ever seen.

At dawn, before their hosts awoke Ikol nudged his brother awake. "Roht" he whispered, "they have made fools of us, today we shall challenge them in earnest. I shall race their fastest runner for none are as swift as I. Should I fail you should challenge their mightiest warrior for you have never been defeated in battle. Then we shall claim this wondrous home for ourselves."

When they suggested a race to their host, the old man smiled. "It would be unfair to make one who had eaten so much run, but if you insist you must you may race my second oldest son to the great mountain and back." Ikol laughed, for he could run faster than the wind, yet when he began to run towards the mountain the youth quickly overtook him, making it to the mountain and back to his father's side before Ikol had reached the foothills.

Roht was incensed, "I challenge your mightiest warrior, for my brother and I will not be made fools of" he said. The old man smiled at him, "I do not want a battle fought in my home. If you can wrestle against my oldest and win, then you may claim my home as your own. If you lose, then you and your brother will perform a task for me." Roht quickly agreed, for he had never known defeat.

Roht was wrestled with Eald for the rest of the day but by nightfall Eald had Roht down on one knee before her. Worried for his stubborn brother Ikol yielded. "We will perform your task, just please tell us how we were overcome?" Nido shrugged off the form of the old man and sat with his sons.

"You, Ikol challenged your brother Fire to an eating contest and you Roht, attempted to drink the ocean, the only thing that can quench Fire's mighty thirst. At night you slept in the room of your brother Dream, for there is nowhere more splendid. When you raced, you ran against my second oldest child, Thought. When you wrestled, you wrestled Time herself. You will never run faster than thought and time can make the mightiest warrior bend a knee.

As to my task, I am ashamed that both of my sons have mistreated their people. Ikol, you shall use your cunning mind to guide them and steal for them the knowledge they need to survive. Roht you shall use your might to defend them, your strength shall keep them safe from all that might threaten them. "

So it was, the trickster stole the secrets of magic and machine for mankind and the god of battle kept ever vigilant against our foes till the cataclysm took them from us.

Fluff stolen from norse mythology, feel free to ignore it.
I'm unable to interact with this thing in the physical realm (possible -2). I'm going to challenge it in my realm. I can move as fast as thought and +2 Fame is a hunger that cannot be satiated. The story of every infamous monster is already within me. So I'm going to metaphysically eat the +2 Monster Cube, for I contain multitudes.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Jessica bowed her head. "If that is your choice." She squeezed the chief's shoulder and wiped a tear from her eye. That they would desire to do this of their own free will threatened to overwhelm her. After a moment to compose herself, Jessica turned and addressed the tribe as a whole.

"You have chosen a blessed course, but I will not lie to you. Many will not trust you. Even disregarding your past, those with power will find you threatening to that power. People will desire to manipulate you to their own ends, and they will hate you simply for the fact that you give when they choose not to. Pain and hardship will be your lot along this path, but I will walk it with you. Know that should you stoop to aid even a single person with compassion in your heart that you are truly blessed in my sight."

She took her mug and raised it into the air.

"Tonight, let us rejoice and make merry! Life is sacred. It is something to be celebrated and enjoyed, not cursed and endured!"

At the earliest convenience the next day, Jessica will meet with the chief and those in positions of authority to discuss their plans. It is her recommendation that they become itinerants, traveling where they will to aid the settlements they came across however they can. She is open to suggestions, however. They have plenty of time to decide and prepare.
She will also begin teaching the gnolls the basics of first aid and medicinal care with Healing +4. How to set broken bones, what herbs are good for a fever, how to identify this or that illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Shinystudy wrestled with the rejection he had faced. Has they not seen the miracles? The tunes that guided hem? The Book of Flight? The Golden Sanctum? Shinystudy himself had been saved directly by Hilary guiding him against the great cyclopic monster that surely could have destroyed their whole race.

As he was in his deepest darkness familiar glowing tunes appeared to light his way.

“You are my prophet. If you call for darkness there will be darkness. If you call for a famine there will be a famine. If you call for death there will be death. Show this people that there can be plagues as well as plenty.”

Humphrey communicates a first greeting.

Hilary will use his abilities to activitate or deactivate the facilities systems at Shinystudy’s will. The lights, the dispensers, the security turrets and bots.

Humphrey is going to say hello!

• Locked thread