Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I figure the reason the nice one near me keeps their eyes on the guys, is because the other three in town are exactly the type of run-down creepshows that everyone avoids, and every so often one of their regular customers winds up in the nice store with the wrong expectations.

That, and I probably don't look all that above the board when I haven't shaven or put my hair up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Today I learned that Denmark and Canada still have malls instead of rotting grey concrete husks squatting on vast tracts of uninhabited wasteland.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ironically the last time I saw a really run-down sad mall was in Montreal, I live right by like 3 of the biggest/most profitable malls in the USA though so that's fun (it's not fun)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

moller posted:

Today I learned that Denmark and Canada still have malls instead of rotting grey concrete husks squatting on vast tracts of uninhabited wasteland.

Give us 10-15 years, we'll get there.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I know audiophile chat was a few pages ago, but I bet it's possible to convince them that the human ear has insufficient range to really get the most out of their music and that with a simple DIY cranial surgery they can pick up all the frequencies they've been missing!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rough Lobster posted:

I know audiophile chat was a few pages ago, but I bet it's possible to convince them that the human ear has insufficient range to really get the most out of their music and that with a simple DIY cranial surgery they can pick up all the frequencies they've been missing!

Given that as you get older, you become less able to hear high frequencies, and since most audiophiles seem to be older guys - do they pretend that this doesn't happen to them? I mean surely spending thousands on a sound system that plays frequencies you're too old to hear would mean admitting you're insane?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Given that as you get older, you become less able to hear high frequencies, and since most audiophiles seem to be older guys - do they pretend that this doesn't happen to them? I mean surely spending thousands on a sound system that plays frequencies you're too old to hear would mean admitting you're insane?

It's called warmth and you wouldn't understand.

But yeah, by the time you can afford this kind of poo poo most ears can't pick it up. Although you could make an argument that audiophiles, by nature of their superior hearing, seek out the highest fidelity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Paleo diet? Paleo hearing!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, they just think their speakers slowly start sounding woolly, so they upgrade to models with exaggerated treble response, such as those from Wilson Audio.

I've even heard this referred to as "graduating from bass to treble".

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

moller posted:

Frankly, malls aren't really that big of a thing here. Most municipalities near the big cities have one, but no one goes on a date, or a friend date, and say "let's go to the mall", that'd be kind of pitiful. We use malls for concentrated shopping, and visiting huge supermarkets ("hypermarkets"), and I guess that's about it. Sure, every mall has eating places, but they are always kinda low-budget and tame. Shopping in regular street stores & supermarkets is the norm, and we are huge on online shopping as well.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they absolutely claim it doesn't happen to them. and/or claim to have way above average hearing to begin with - like saying they could hear 30khz, so a bit of loss is no big deal as they can still hear better than normal people

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

No, they just think their speakers slowly start sounding woolly, so they upgrade to models with exaggerated treble response, such as those from Wilson Audio.

I've even heard this referred to as "graduating from bass to treble".

Sweevo posted:

they absolutely claim it doesn't happen to them. and/or claim to have way above average hearing to begin with - like saying they could hear 30khz, so a bit of loss is no big deal as they can still hear better than normal people

This is loving hilarious. I am simultaneously glad that I don't know anyone like this, but also sad because I would love to be able to laugh at them in person.

Someone ought to write a parody horror/twilight zone thing about an audiophile whose hearing starts going.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

This podcast laughs at some of the funnier ideas (i.e. scams) audiophiles fall for:

https://thefpl.us/episode/138

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Someone ought to write a parody horror/twilight zone thing about an audiophile whose hearing starts going.

They more or less made this already.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This guy is an absolutely fantastic Youtuber

Philo Farnsworth and the Invention of Television
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUaowcXQtOo

This talks about the invention of CRT TV so I think it fits in the obsolete tech thread. Of special note here is a god damned brilliant practical demo of electron beam scanning with a Nintendo Zapper, some yarn, and a poster board.

All of this guys videos are soooo good.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Asimov did a short story on the theme (with a sci-fi twist) 25 years before Serling.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Sense
Full text: https://archive.org/details/TheSecretSense

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quF45LvBtwA

Techmoan reviews another old, obscure device, but this time, :iiam:. Can you guess what it does before the reveal? Hint: it's probably not what you would think based on the name.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Doctor Bishop posted:

Techmoan reviews another old, obscure device, but this time, :iiam:. Can you guess what it does before the reveal? Hint: it's probably not what you would think based on the name.

That is the weirdest thing.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Got it first guess, that thing is cool.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I got the general idea once I saw the microphone input... but I didn't figure out all of it until he took the cap off

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Salvaged this today:

It's been sitting in a bin bag since 2010 when it was de-commissioned. Test page came out OK if a bit dim (ribbon's dry of course). Here's the thing though: Lexmark still lists it as a current model discontinued at over 1500$, and drivers go up to Windows 7 (32 or 64) so I could use it at home :prepop:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Nov 3, 2017

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Even though inkjets got cheap (and then lasers too), dot matrix printers have stayed around for a few niche uses like being able to print into those carbon duplicate/triplicate forms a lot of places still use.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sweevo posted:

Even though inkjets got cheap (and then lasers too), dot matrix printers have stayed around for a few niche uses like being able to print into those carbon duplicate/triplicate forms a lot of places still use.

Well yeah that thing's literally called Lexmark Forms Printer 4227 Plus. Now I just need a sheet feeder for it but that'll probably cost more than a cheap printer :sigh: It can still print single sheets and I have tractor paper so at least I'll get some use out of it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Sweevo posted:

Yep. My old job had some for that reason and some that lived in filthy environments that destroyed more advanced printers within a few months.

As long as no one tried to gently caress with the network settings, the worst that could happen is it wads up the paper. That only takes like a minute to fix. Most of ours used a drop in ribbon cartridge that was dead easy to change too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pienipple posted:

Yep. My old job had some for that reason and some that lived in filthy environments that destroyed more advanced printers within a few months.

As long as no one tried to gently caress with the network settings, the worst that could happen is it wads up the paper.

I just wish I'd known about the "disable control keypad" option back when it was still in use :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our programmer prints code on one of those gently caress off old green bar printers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Our programmer prints code on one of those gently caress off old green bar printers.

I never saw anything except brown and blue bar tractor paper used by programmers until the late nineties, and I think it was just because being "green" was commercially sensible even if it was only the colour. Cut sheets on the other hand were usually copies of copies so you couldn't really tell what colour they'd had if any.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Doctor Bishop posted:

I didn't recognize it at first but when I was a small child in the mid-80's I had something very much like this. It went with a series of books that I want to say included Sesame Street titles and stuff.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

titties posted:

I didn't recognize it at first but when I was a small child in the mid-80's I had something very much like this. It went with a series of books that I want to say included Sesame Street titles and stuff.
Yes! I had the same thing (born in '77). I think I had a Sesame Street book, and definitely a Muppet Show book. I clearly remember a bit with Lew Zealand telling a really stupid joke that ended in "I'm a little hard of herring," at which point the player would skip (and skip and skip).

Here it is: http://www.museumofplay.org/online-collections/1/13/110.1011
And here's the Fisher-Price Talk To Me player in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlR053J35B8

I just finished reading the entire thread, having started, oh, a year ago? It's been a wild ride. :allears:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
On a similar note was the 1970s Fisher Price "record" player. The records were plastic discs with bumps for the stylus to read like a music box. This video is from someone using a 3d printer to make his own song discs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sE57VdMjFA

EDIT: HALP FALLEN DOWN THE YOUTUBE RABBIT HOLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdzCv_9eaoM

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wondered what music you'd etch onto a tortilla but in retrospect it makes total sense.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wondered what music you'd etch onto a tortilla but in retrospect it makes total sense.

I guessed right.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Nice to know those tortillas are certified laser safe.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I use only corn tortillas to preserve the music's natural warmth. :smuggo:

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a link to the train posts by Axeman Jim? I was thinking about them the other day and would love to have a re-read.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TotalLossBrain posted:

:drat:

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hand-pressed on the thighs of virgins for a pristine dust-free groove.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Dick Trauma posted:

On a similar note was the 1970s Fisher Price "record" player. The records were plastic discs with bumps for the stylus to read like a music box. This video is from someone using a 3d printer to make his own song discs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sE57VdMjFA

They still sell these, at least it looks outwardly identical except it isn't a music box anymore. The discs are smooth:

The grooves press a combination of buttons on the bottom of the stylus which tells it which song to play from its internal memory. It still has the clockwork turntable, but it's just for show.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Horace posted:

They still sell these, at least it looks outwardly identical except it isn't a music box anymore. The discs are smooth:

The grooves press a combination of buttons on the bottom of the stylus which tells it which song to play from its internal memory. It still has the clockwork turntable, but it's just for show.

Well that’s kinda lame. At least with the other one there was a clever mechanism involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Hattie Masters posted:

Does anyone have a link to the train posts by Axeman Jim? I was thinking about them the other day and would love to have a re-read.

They're in the AI Locomotive Insanity thread.