Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yelich is on a pretty great contract for the Marlins, why would they trade him?

The whole reason for trading Stanton is the godly amount of money he makes I would assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Mike_V posted:

Gimme Yelich if Stanton doesn't want to come to St. Louis.

Is Jeter calling the shots in the Marlins front office or is Michael Hill?

They watched Moneyball, then hired Jonah Hill.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

I honestly don't expect Stanton to move since he's got the no-trade clause; it seems to me like he loves Miami and won't go when they're that close to contention

Stanton's preference as rumored (so take with a grain of salt, see the Verlander bit in the tweet I posted) is he'd only accept a trade to a team that is 1) in contention, and 2) in California. If true that means he's arguably only interested in trades to the Dodgers, maybe the Angles, and maaaaybe the Giants. The thing is though the Dodgers just don't have the payroll flexibility to take on Stanton's contract, and the Angels have what has been routinely panned as one of it not the worst farm systems in MLB so they can't exactly offer anything tantalizing. It's a shame too because you could argue adding Stanton's bat to their lineup would easily make them the second best team in the AL West and put them in legitimate WC contention.

Intruder posted:

Yelich is on a pretty great contract for the Marlins, why would they trade him?

The Marlins have also already said that - at least for now - Ozuna and Yelich are off the table.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh god imagine Stanton and Trout batting back to back

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
A little late on the Beltran chat but even if he is borderline (I don't think he is), his playoff numbers have to put him over the top. A 300/400/600 slash in all the drat playoff games he has played is so great.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
As someone else mentioned earlier, if nothing else gets him in being one of the best switch hitters ever will do it

I really can't imagine any drama over his HoF induction other than what team cap he wears

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It would have to be the Mets IMO

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Maybe he goes in with a blank cap like Maddux. He did really well with several different teams.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wanted to say that his best years were as a Met but man his Mets and Royals stints were both equally unbelievable

7 years with each team too so

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Beltran really played his prime with the wrong New York franchise

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Royals was the other one I was thinking besides Mets, because he was very good there and also they gave him his first opportunity

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If he has a logo it's definitely either the Royals (where he came up) and the Mets (where he was at his peak), but I think he'll go blank.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I still don't get what the gently caress was going on with Beltran his sophomore year. He basically cost me a fantasy baseball championship.

also there was another hot prospect named carlos who came up at the same time, they were called "dos carlos". He will probably not be making the hall of fame.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Beltran should go in as an Astro since all his best postseason success came with us IMO

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/930526065512075264

this is exciting, I didn't think he'd be getting a crack at 3B right away

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eh, I'm not surprised. They were blitzing him through the minors last year and had talked about bringing him up prior to the injury.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I figured with the elbow injury they'd get Gleyber more time in the minors just to be on the safe side but if he's ready now... it's exciting stuff

also lol Ellsbury will be competing for a spot on the roster

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/930525847961862144

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

I figured with the elbow injury they'd get Gleyber more time in the minors just to be on the safe side but if he's ready now... it's exciting stuff

also lol Ellsbury will be competing for a spot on the roster

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/930525847961862144

Only 3 more years left on his deal! :suicide:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It's hard to say what the Marlins should ask for in a Stanton trade. He's a MVP-caliber player for sure, but he's paid like one too. 11 years/ $300 million is probably pretty close to what he'd get if he was a free agent, right? Is taking on a contract like that worth a big prospect haul? There's never been a trade like that before, I don't think. Closest thing might be when the Angels traded for Vernon Wells?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You don't see trades like that because most teams don't have arguably the best hitter or at least top two locked into a long term (ish) contract and trade him in his prime out of cheapness

Under normal circumstances a player of his caliber would never ever ever be available

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

A smart GM would acquire the best dinger machine in baseball at all costs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros could have had him for Springer and Correa

I feel like they made the right choice

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I really really need Brian Cashman to be calling Bobby Evans so much about moving Ellsbury that Evans blocks his number and Cashman has interns dumping boxes of burners on his desk.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Jeter isn't trading the stadium.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Drunk Canuck posted:

Miami County said that the dinger machine couldn't be removed, so Jeter's stuck with at least one

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

The Astros could have had him for Springer and Correa

I feel like they made the right choice

Wow really going on a limb on that one eh?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I took a couple weeks off from this thread after the unpleasantness at the beginning of the month, but I'm back to remind everyone that Stanton is from Los Angeles and obviously wants to be a Dodger.

Somehow Farhandrew will maneuver a 4 team deal that gets him there, while giving up Yasmani Grandal and 3 prospects no one has heard of, AND they'll make Miami eat a bunch of money.

Yes I've had a fever the last 4 days why do you ask?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Are team threads still allowed? Because I totally bit off the Astros Lounge and made one for the Yankees

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840601

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I personally have no problems with the ALCS runners-up having a thread

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

I took a couple weeks off from this thread after the unpleasantness at the beginning of the month, but I'm back to remind everyone that Stanton is from Los Angeles and obviously wants to be a Dodger.

Somehow Farhandrew will maneuver a 4 team deal that gets him there, while giving up Yasmani Grandal and 3 prospects no one has heard of, AND they'll make Miami eat a bunch of money.

Yes I've had a fever the last 4 days why do you ask?

Puig to Miami confirmed!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Puig to Miami confirmed!
This would hurt, but it *might* be worth it if only to troll Don Mattingly. I'd feel bad for Puig having to play for him again though :smith:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

https://twitter.com/JoeFrisaro/status/930482735289917441

4 teams after Stanton, but he doesn't like three of them enough to accept a trade? :getin:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

On the one hand, Stanton on the Giants would be annoying. On the other, it also seems like a colossally stupid move for SF considering their current situation. I am torn.

edit: fwiw Gammons indicates that Stanton isn't keen on the Giants either.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 14, 2017

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/source-giancarlo-stanton-hasnt-ruled-out-boston-red-sox-keeping-completely-open-mind

quote:

The Red Sox may not be Giancarlo Stanton’s No. 1 choice, but he hasn’t ruled out them or anyone else as a potential destination at this point, a person with knowledge of Stanton’s thinking told NBC Sports Boston on Tuesday.

The Marlins slugger, a bona fide star, is said to have a “completely” open mind about teams interested to trade for him, and is actively trying to be thoughtful about the process — one he ultimately controls because of a full no-trade clause.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The only trade Stanton should accept is to Colorado.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The only trade Stanton should accept is to Colorado.

I think he could do well in The Bronx.

Stick him in LF, bring back the Twin Towers we had with Miller and Betances.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Put him in Cinci so he can break all the records

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Any of these would force Barry Bonds out of retirement to pad the record up to at least 800 so I'm all for it

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

bewbies posted:

I still don't get what the gently caress was going on with Beltran his sophomore year. He basically cost me a fantasy baseball championship.

also there was another hot prospect named carlos who came up at the same time, they were called "dos carlos". He will probably not be making the hall of fame.

Carlos Febles!! He's gonna be the Royals 2B of the future!! Why the gently caress do I remember that???

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

more rumors to get all :supaburn: about

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/930566040248991744

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Game over, man. Game over.

• Locked thread