Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pesmerga posted:

In between this and your views on chocolate, I’ve come to the conclusion you are utterly perverse.

Still a good poster though. :)

Miftan's views on chocolate combined with incompatible flavours are entirely correct and good.

In other news, Tim Barrow was on my Eurostar today, then followed me onto the tube, but I couldn't remember his name or what his job role was, so I didn't get to educate him in the ways of the UKMT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think after the declaration in Matthew 15:11 that "What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them." and the events in Acts 10:9-15 where Peter dreams of meat, Jesus would be cool with people choosing to eat a Greggs sausage roll, and may have even done so himself if their use of workfare did not render them unclean in his eyes.

Being turned into a sausage roll otoh he may have been far less cool with. Then again as often as you may eat this bread...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Julio Cruz posted:

No-one thought no deal was a realistic possibility when Article 50 was triggered because leaving the EU with no deal was (rightly) seen as a completely insane thing to do. It's only in the last couple of months that the extreme Brexit wing of the Tory party has been pushing it as an actual potential outcome.

There's good reason to believe that May and the people around her thought that it would be very easy to "Brexit" while having everything just go on status quo as normal, swept under the carpet, and that they were very shocked when it turned out that the EU don't actually want that to happen, leading us to the current state of play now where they just go "I have no idea what to do" repeatedly

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Guavanaut posted:

Being turned into a sausage roll otoh he may have been far less cool with. Then again as often as you may eat this bread...

Fully Greggsified and loving it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zephro posted:

Someone in this very thread posted a pretty comprehensive guide to home-brewed beer and wine a few threads back. Pretty good for pre-loading to save money on a London night out. Assuming you can find anywhere in your 78 sq ft executive bedsit to put the tubs.

RIP Fluo

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nigel Farage 'forced to retract remarks about anti-fascist charity Hope Not Hate after losing £100k legal battle'

quote:

Nigel Farage has lost a legal battle against anti-racism campaign group Hope Not Hate over his accusations that they are "violent and undemocratic".

The anti-hate campaigners crowdsourced funding to sue the former Ukip leader for libel over the claims, and demanded £100,000 in damages.

Mr Farage has reportedly now agreed to withdraw his statement and not repeat it.

The comments in question were made during an LBC radio show last December. Mr Farage was responding to Brendan Cox, the husband of murdered Labour MP Jo Cox, who had accused the 53-year-old MEP of stoking tensions over a terrorist attack on a Berlin Christmas market. Mr Farage had appeared to blame the attack on Angela Merkel, leading Mr Cox to claim he was "blaming politicians for the actions of extremists".

In response, Mr Farage said: "Yes, well of course he would know more about extremists than me, Mr Cox. He backs organisations like Hope Not Hate, who masquerade as being lovely and peaceful, but actually pursue violent and undemocratic means.”

After Mr Farage refused to retract the allegation, Hope Not Hate launched an appeal asking the public to help fund a legal case. It said 16,000 people have since donated to the fund.

Facing the threat of a court battle, Mr Farage has now agreed to withdraw his claims.

In a statement filed to the court, he reportedly said: "Having now considered the position further I am happy to acknowledge that Hope Not Hate does not tolerate or pursue violent or undemocratic behaviour."

The MEP also agreed not to repeat the claims or allow anyone to do so on his behalf.

Nick Lowles, Hope Not Hate's chief executive, said: "I am delighted with this victory and that we've held Nigel Farage to account.

"The case was about the truth and about HOPE not hate saying no to Nigel Farage's attempts to smear us. For too long right-wing politicians have got away with smearing and abusing their opponents. We drew a line in the sand and ‘no more'.

"We are an avowedly peaceful organisation and Farage's false claims were deeply damaging to the vital work we do bringing communities together across cultural and religious divides.

"Anyone else repeating these smears our pursuing a false news agenda against our organisation should be put on note that we won't hesitate to take further action to protect our reputation. We also hope this case sends a wider signal to right-wing politicians that smearing people will no longer be accepted."

Mr Farage said: “I am very surprised at Hope Not Hate’s announcement today that they have won their legal case against me. Some victory! Their statement today is thoroughly disingenuous."
gently caress off Nige.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
His "No I'm not owned" response was to say that since it didn't go to court and each side paid their own fees then he actually won because he spent less, or something.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Tsaedje posted:

Fully Greggsified and loving it

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

His "No I'm not owned" response was to say that since it didn't go to court and each side paid their own fees then he actually won because he spent less, or something.

Don't forget him proudly saying that they wanted an apology, and he didn't apologise. So he may have retracted his statement and promised never to say it again but since he's not sorry, he apparently wins.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Greggings.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/sta...e-politics-live

So this is happening, and for once Tories are upset about the right-wing press targeting people.

Guardian posted:

Streeting refers to the Telegraph splash. (See 10.32pm.) He says the MPs identified by the Telegraph want to implement what Theresa May proposed in her Florence speech, which was that the UK should continue to comply with ECJ rulings during the transition. It is government ministers who are unable to say that who are the true mutineers, he says.

The Conservative MP Anna Soubry intervenes. Referring to the Telegraph headline, she says it is a “blatant piece of bullying”. But she says she is not personally bothered. She takes being named by the Telegraph as a mutineer as “a badge of honour”, she says.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

Do that, but UC does give you some extra money for being sick, about £300 a month if you're in the support group.

Thanks, I noticed that section but wasn't sure if that was "Instead of".

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

jabby posted:

So this is happening, and for once Tories are upset about the right-wing press targeting people.

drat, they missed the opportunity just to have an entire front page picture of Ken Clarke looking smug. They only gave him a little square - disgraceful

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I watched the first debate for several hours, and they all came across at the voice of reason before all the other Tories came out of the bar and voted without taking a blind bit of notice of their surprisingly moderate and reasonable requests that basically boiled down to “we need more information”, while the other Tories in the debate came across as horrific bullying boomer lunatic cunts.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

learnincurve posted:

I watched the first debate for several hours, and they all came across at the voice of reason before all the other Tories came out of the bar and voted without taking a blind bit of notice of their surprisingly moderate and reasonable requests that basically boiled down to “we need more information”, while the other Tories in the debate came across as horrific bullying boomer lunatic cunts.

good lord dont watch votes

i watched the syria one and now im in ISIS

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

feedmegin posted:

You might want to ease up on the 'you lot' there. Much like the Scots, plenty of Welsh people were involved in building the British Empire.

If we as a nation had received the benefits of empire, I might be inclined to agree with you. Our iron built the machine, our coal powered it and our blood was (presumably) offered up in various satanic rituals to keep it going because gently caress Wales, and lo and behold, with everything that could potentially be of value having been stripped away from us, we're the poorest country region in Europe.

But the (English) iron lords had it alright, so I guess I can't complain.

It's strange how this thread is generally so anti-imperialism until it comes to the treatment of the 'Home Countries'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Saith posted:

If we as a nation had received the benefits of empire, I might be inclined to agree with you. Our iron built the machine, our coal powered it and our blood was (presumably) offered up in various satanic rituals to keep it going because gently caress Wales, and lo and behold, with everything that could potentially be of value having been stripped away from us, we're the poorest country region in Europe.

It's strange how this thread is generally so anti-imperialism until it comes to the treatment of the 'Home Countries'.

Sadly the thread often leans towards British nationalism rather unthinkingly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Saith posted:

Reminder that Wales voted to leave the EU despite receiving £680 million of EU subsidies

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Powerful claims from someone who didn't even stick out half a term as an MP

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jose posted:

i'm really curious how the insane hard brexiters plan on spinning it if we end up on WTO rules and tons of businesses go bust and people suddenly can't afford food

It's going to be almost comical when BoJo and Fox suddenly realise that 'ending up on WTO rules' actually means embarking on a poo poo load of bilateral negotiations to frantically agree WTO Schedules, while simultaneously avoiding making any EU-UK specific concessions not apply to the rest of the world through the WTO's Most Favoured Nation requirements.

Guavanaut posted:

lmao, France produces in 4 days what Britain takes 5 to do, and then has a few days off. Has he considered that maybe they're on to something?

One of these days I need to pick up that awesome analysis in the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists involving wages and capital as a percentage of GDP over time and extend it into the modern age. People really struggle to grasp 'working less' as a viable option to aim for; it drives me nuts. I think the connection between huge productivity gains since the 70s and stagnating real wages is just too remote for people to get worked up about.

Josef bugman posted:

I just want a house. Not even a big one or an especially nice one, just a little plot of somewhere that I can have and look after and fill with things I quite like.

I am so tired of moving every year, of not being able to "save up" for things because I know I will just have to put it all in a big sack and move with it again. I'm tired of working 9-5 and seeing all my money vanish on rent and feeling so tired, I'm tired of just having to go into work and try and make people feel better about visiting somewhere historic when they are cutting our breaks and not letting us sit down. It's hard to be positive when there appears to be nothing to be positive about.

Hey dude. I didn't see any other replies, so just wanted to chuck a few good wishes in your direction. Try not to let them grind you down.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Prince John posted:

Hey dude. I didn't see any other replies, so just wanted to chuck a few good wishes in your direction. Try not to let them grind you down.

Thank you. I am trying not to, but it is very hard to keep on keeping on some times.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Saith posted:

The Sheffield foundry worker cackles as his demonic machine swallows more stolen Welsh coal, making him another trillion pounds, pausing only to cough up blood and soot. He bows to the passing foundry owner, fellow exploiter of the Welsh.

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 15, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That Telegraph front page is hilarious. Brexit really brings the best out of the right wing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Saith posted:

Sorry are you talking about Wales or Northern England?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

One of these days I need to pick up that awesome analysis in the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists involving wages and capital as a percentage of GDP over time and extend it into the modern age. People really struggle to grasp 'working less' as a viable option to aim for; it drives me nuts. I think the connection between huge productivity gains since the 70s and stagnating real wages is just too remote for people to get worked up about.
Russell's In Praise of Idleness is always worth a read, and makes some solid predictions in form about the coming stagnation.

Pissflaps posted:

Sorry are you talking about Wales or Northern England?
They might be talking about Bagworth and Coalville.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I struggle to see the point in cheese that isn't black label extra strong. I mean I'll eat the bland stuff but I feel depressed while doing it.

Yes I am a cheese extremist and if the goverment wants to send cheese PREVENT over to re-educate me into liking red leicester then they're welcome to try but I have a past its use by date camembert and a wedge of roqueforte that says they can't take me alive!

I ain't no cheese expert, but there's a Red Leicester called Red Fox that I think Lidl or Aldi carries, and it's real good. It's nothing like the usual homogenous supermarket stuff, it's strong and crumbly like mature cheddar only with its own taste going on. Leicester can finally stand up and be proud

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Saith posted:

Are you by any chance Swiss and recently moved there from Scotland?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It seems odd to me to describe abuses of the poor of Wales and lay the blame on the poor of England before rich Welsh people but that’s nationalism for you.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
I hope y'all know that if we were discussing race rather than nationality, Richard Spencer would be on your side.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Saith posted:

I hope y'all know that if we were discussing race rather than nationality, Richard Spencer would be on your side.

I think you'll find that actually you are the Hitler.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Saith posted:

Tell me why that slightly thicker line on a map preserved by dint of history 700 years ago makes people on one side the victim and the other the perpetrator.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If you were all being racist, the racist man would be on your side. Just some food for thought.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Rarity posted:

Reminder that Wales voted to leave the EU despite receiving £680 million of EU subsidies

The attitude this implies rankles me a bit, to be honest. The british working class as a whole has a pretty damning record of voting against its own interests, that doesn't justify the ratfucking they're getting, have gotten and will be getting. Folk have been gaslit and manipulated into their current situation through decades of misinformation and pandering to their most base and spiteful impulses. If we're just going to write them off because they've got poor access to good information or even just the skills they'd need to decode it, what are we even for?

Pissflaps posted:

It seems odd to me to describe abuses of the poor of Wales and lay the blame on the poor of England before rich Welsh people but that’s nationalism for you.

There is no native Welsh ruling class to speak of, something that sets them apart even from other parts of the union like Scotland and probably a big reason Welsh nationalism never really took off.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Saith posted:

this thread does get very parochial but thats cause there are a lot of english people here and we aren't taught any better

regular english people didnt recieve the benefits of empire either though, its just the state wasnt trying to exterminate them like it did to the irish.
as far as i know (which is not a lot because we are taught NOTHING of the rUK in school) since the industrial revolution all the state did to the welsh was render them powerless and steal all their poo poo, which is not something an english commoner at the time would be immune from either
it'd be worse to be welsh but much worse to be irish or bengali

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pissflaps posted:

Tell me why that slightly thicker line on a map preserved by dint of history 700 years ago makes people on one side the victim and the other the perpetrator.

I... I agree with Pissflaps.

Am I the bad guy? :negative:

TomViolence posted:

The attitude this implies rankles me a bit, to be honest. The british working class as a whole has a pretty damning record of voting against its own interests, that doesn't justify the ratfucking they're getting, have gotten and will be getting. Folk have been gaslit and manipulated into their current situation through decades of misinformation and pandering to their most base and spiteful impulses. If we're just going to write them off because they've got poor access to good information or even just the skills they'd need to decode it, what are we even for?

This is a fair point though, I concede

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So if I'm reading this right a bunch of Tory rebels have broken rank and nearly started a public lynching in Parliament for a vote that isn't going to happen for another month?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

baka kaba posted:

I ain't no cheese expert, but there's a Red Leicester called Red Fox that I think Lidl or Aldi carries, and it's real good. It's nothing like the usual homogenous supermarket stuff, it's strong and crumbly like mature cheddar only with its own taste going on. Leicester can finally stand up and be proud

Back when I worked on the deli counter at Waitrose a decade or so ago they'd recently brought in the first Red Leicester to actually be produced in Leicestershire for some years. I think, anyway. My memory's not what it was. But yeah, Red Fox is probably not Leicester-based.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Rarity posted:

I... I agree with Pissflaps.

Am I the bad guy? :negative:

Clearly since one side of that line committed genocide against the other.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How many pages has it been since we were all agreeing with wealth transfers from richer to poorer regions and municipalities as a good thing?

I bet Richard Spencer would love equivalent racial reparations.

nopantsjack posted:

as far as i know (which is not a lot because we are taught NOTHING of the rUK in school) since the industrial revolution all the state did to the welsh was render them powerless and steal all their poo poo, which is not something an english commoner at the time would be immune from either
it'd be worse to be welsh but much worse to be irish or bengali
George William Frederick von Hanover literally came up to the Midlands and stole thousands of peoples' poo poo in his capacity as a private person and sold it to a couple of dozen people to stabilize his precarious political position, then legalized his lovely decision in his capacity as George III, the living embodiment of The Crown. He Sovereign Citizen'd a huge chunk of the country out of their stuff for personal gain.

It was still not as lovely as the Highland Clearances, because he only hanged the people that complained. And those in turn pale in comparison to the Berlin Conference.

sebzilla posted:

But yeah, Red Fox is probably not Leicester-based.
It's probably football based. It seems to be made in Shropshire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I’d like to hear more about the Welsh genocide.

• Locked thread