Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

On a similar note was the 1970s Fisher Price "record" player. The records were plastic discs with bumps for the stylus to read like a music box. This video is from someone using a 3d printer to make his own song discs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sE57VdMjFA

EDIT: HALP FALLEN DOWN THE YOUTUBE RABBIT HOLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdzCv_9eaoM

Thank you for ruining my evening plans. I too fell down the youtube rabbit hole. I guess I really didn't need to do laundry tonight..........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Three-Phase posted:

Well that’s kinda lame. At least with the other one there was a clever mechanism involved.
It is lame. I learned a ton of mechanical principles from old toys like that.
No wonder kids on my lawn like fidget cubes and things like that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I now have the best mechanical keyboard

(E: yes my desk is filthy I both solder and do machining in this room, and I got dumped this week t:mad:)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

(E: yes my desk is filthy I both solder and do machining in this room, and I got dumped this week t:mad:)

LINK

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I messaged a guy on Reddit and got mine for $7, but apparently he has a website: http://chillcaps.win/

E: apparently I should have gotten a "DSA" keycap. But with a cherry mount? IDK. I run with Cherry Greens and I rarely hit the "EMERGENCY VAPORWAVE" key so the narrower profile is A-OK.

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Nov 15, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

dude, you gotta get a keyboard with nothing but a random assortment of those caps. then you'd have the

:siren:~ultimate posting machine~:siren:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why does your keyboard have a Solo cup button?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

mystes posted:

Because it is the best.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is this the 2017 version of casemodding?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mystes posted:

Platystemon posted:

Because it is the best.
P much.

mystes posted:

Also, p much.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mystes posted:

:lol: Is casemodding a thing anymore?

I remember back in '03, I would spend hours and hours just looking at modded cases and dreaming about modding one :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: Is casemodding a thing anymore?
Nowadays it's mostly about buying a case with a window and stuffing the most garish LEDs you can find into it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Nowadays it's mostly about buying a case with a window and stuffing the most garish LEDs you can find into it.

https://kotaku.com/hatsune-miku-shows-us-the-future-of-pc-case-mods-1819606434

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The end stage is hiding all the thinky bits in the monitor, and filling the case with a Rube Goldberg device.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If your computer isn't a solid black monolith with a single faint, omniously red LED on the front it's too garish.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

If your computer isn't a solid black monolith with a single faint, omniously red LED on the front it's too garish.

Mine is a solid black monolith, but with two blue LEDs (power and drive usage). So what then?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I disabled my front LEDs by not plugging them in, and use the quietest fan settings. Smh if you notice a computer is on in the room

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Is that the Dixie cup "jazz" design? :psyduck:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I disabled my front LEDs by not plugging them in, and use the quietest fan settings. Smh if you notice a computer is on in the room

Can't do that. I like seeing if my drive light is blinking when you get thoser long black screen with no feedback loading moments.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Samizdata posted:

Can't do that. I like seeing if my drive light is blinking when you get thoser long black screen with no feedback loading moments.

They need to offer an SSD with a little speaker on it that goes clickety clickety like an old mechanical HDD so you can tell if the computer is working without even looking at it.

Hnnnnng oh god yes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZZBxV1Hhw

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the only case mod I'd ever spring for would be one that made my computer look like a tiny version of the WOPR, and even then it would have to make those great thrumming noises

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Vanagoon posted:

They need to offer an SSD with a little speaker on it that goes clickety clickety like an old mechanical HDD so you can tell if the computer is working without even looking at it.
In a similar vein, I appreciate that the C64 emulator I use emulates the 1541 drive light (possibly via the Scroll Lock light? one of those, anyway) so you can watch the "drive" work--and even occasionally error out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I already asked this except I ninja edited my post to the name of the correct cup company.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

mystes posted:

I already asked this except I ninja edited my post to the name of the correct cup company.

They should really set up a marco that plays smooth jazz every time someone presses escape.

That or automate a water cooler.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mystes posted:

What kind of a ninja tells people what they did? You are not a good ninja!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Vanagoon posted:

I miss the auditory feedback I got from platters of spinning rust.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It is lame. I learned a ton of mechanical principles from old toys like that.
No wonder kids on my lawn like fidget cubes and things like that.

Yeah! I was at a flea market a few years ago and found this neat little cube. Some kind of fancy old toy. I think there’s some way to open it up but there’s a ton of mechanical contraptions inside it. I need to spend a little more time to see if I can figure it out.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah! I was at a flea market a few years ago and found this neat little cube. Some kind of fancy old toy. I think there’s some way to open it up but there’s a ton of mechanical contraptions inside it. I need to spend a little more time to see if I can figure it out.

I bet it has such sights to show you!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vanagoon posted:

I can still hear highpitched 'clicks' from my SSD when it's working... no idea how that'd possibly happen (maybe cross-talk onto the speakers? It continues when I turn software volume down, but obvious if it's a hardware thing that wouldn't make any difference.)

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tunicate posted:

I can still hear highpitched 'clicks' from my SSD when it's working... no idea how that'd possibly happen (maybe cross-talk onto the speakers? It continues when I turn software volume down, but obvious if it's a hardware thing that wouldn't make any difference.)

One of the PCs two jobs ago for me had a neat interference thing where if you had any significant screen redrawing, say scrolling a large image around, you could get different tones out of the attached speakers. Yes, it was a CRT with attached speakers. In loving 2010.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't remember when it stopped happening, but I remember incoming cell phone calls would cause a lot of computer speakers to go haywire with these loud, buzzing beep noises. Some sort of interference I guess?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tunicate posted:

That must be something like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...fcb4_story.html

quote:

Fake engine noise has become one of the auto industry’s dirty little secrets, with automakers from BMW to Volkswagen turning to a sound-boosting bag of tricks. Without them, today’s more fuel-efficient engines would sound far quieter and, automakers worry, seemingly less powerful, potentially pushing buyers away.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

No more crazy than engineering the car door sound.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/9533769.stm

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I wish there was a way to disable the fake engine noises; I want my cars silent inside goddamn it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Wasabi the J posted:

I wish there was a way to disable the fake engine noises; I want my cars silent inside goddamn it.

As a pedestrian and cyclist, no.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Grassy Knowles posted:

As a pedestrian and cyclist, no.

I think he primarily means the fake sounds coming out of the car speakers in the cab, not the external noise.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Cindy Shitbird posted:

One of the PCs two jobs ago for me had a neat interference thing where if you had any significant screen redrawing, say scrolling a large image around, you could get different tones out of the attached speakers. Yes, it was a CRT with attached speakers. In loving 2010.

In college I lived in a number of small rooms, which meant my computer and guitar amplifier were in close proximity. drat near anything wireless would produce a distinct tone from the amp if it was turned on. My favorite was the scroll wheel on my mouse producing noticeably different tones when scrolling up or down.

Probably could have made a whole song out of it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Inco posted:

I think he primarily means the fake sounds coming out of the car speakers in the cab, not the external noise.

The external noise needs to be of a Jetson car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The external noise needs to be of a Jetson car.

Now I want a car that sounds like a TIE Fighter :allears: