Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Klyith posted:

Under that definition google and facebook are also spyware.

So if you're like blocking those with noscript and hosts entries as well, fine you also probably don't want to use stylish. That's your call. But telling people that stylish is malware, or somehow worse than everything else on the internet, is false.
google knowing what sites you visit when you use their search engine is a lot different than a website theming extension knowing every single site you visit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was using an extension to force ff to open certain file types automatically.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/inlinedisposition-2/

The updated version of that extension doesn't work either. Is there some setting in about :config I could change to force firefox to open torrent files like chrome does?

Will not just automatically open it, I get that prompt

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 14, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

google knowing what sites you visit when you use their search engine is a lot different than a website theming extension knowing every single site you visit

I just blacklist facebook and google bullshit :shrug:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Um, why? What are you worried that SimilarWeb will do with your web history that's worse than what google does? If anything, shouldn't you be more worried about the company that knows far more than just your web history, including aspects of your finances, health, and social relationships?

Truga posted:

Well, yes?
Okay.

In that case, please pick between:
* stop calling Stylish malware and instead describe it more accurately, like the stylish extension is collecting your web history so that normal people won't be confused
* call it malware, but also follow it up a web privacy rant about how everyone needs to block google, facebook is following you everywhere you go, they're always watching you. That way normal people can make the appropriate call on whether they agree with your definition of malware.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lum posted:

Tree Style Tab and a bit of userchrome & about :config to get rid of the original tabbar and I'm pretty happy with the new Firefox.

Can anyone suggest replacements for the following addons?

Download Manager Tweak - Puts the download window into a tab instead of a dropdown menu
DownThemAll - Specifically the download manager aspect for when I'm downloading from slow lovely sites like Baidu. Am I going to have to pretend it's 1997 again and install GetRight?
KonqueFox - Adds an "up" button to the navbar, and also buttons that clear the text from the location bar or search bar

How did you get rid of the original tab bar? I use Tree Style Tab as well and am looking to do that.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I do think the gap in the upper left corner of a non-max window is annoying, pushing the tabs to the right a bit, but I'm too lazy to see if something can be done about it. I'd probably have to paste CSS code into a file that would need be replaced with every upgrade.
Fixing this is just one line. I doubt it will break anytime soon.

code:
.titlebar-placeholder { width: 0px !important; }

tonberrytoby posted:

Disabling javascript does work on the one website I specifically remembered. But I needed to install a new extension for that, and it needs to reload the website to do its job which is an additional hassle.
You can disable JS natively in Firefox, it's an option in the developer tool options pane - but that still requires reloading the page. Maybe this? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enable-rightclick-and-copy/

Read fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 15, 2017

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

iospace posted:

How did you get rid of the original tab bar? I use Tree Style Tab as well and am looking to do that.

userChrome.css
code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#TabsToolbar, #sidebar-header {
    visibility: collapse !important;
}
Also turn on the OS titlebar in the customise menu.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chrome-store-foxified/

Somebody made an addon that adds an "Add to Firefox" button to the Chrome Web Store that uploads the addon to your AMO account, signs it, and installs it into Firefox.

I tried Chrome SALR, didn't work. :(

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Most addons require at least some tweaks to port, SALR is complicated enough that it's probably considerably more work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nalin posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chrome-store-foxified/

Somebody made an addon that adds an "Add to Firefox" button to the Chrome Web Store that uploads the addon to your AMO account, signs it, and installs it into Firefox.

I tried Chrome SALR, didn't work. :(

Did you try the redux version or the non-redux?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

iospace posted:

Did you try the redux version or the non-redux?

Redux as it was last modified 2016 and the original was last modified 2013.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lum posted:

userChrome.css
code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#TabsToolbar, #sidebar-header {
    visibility: collapse !important;
}
Also turn on the OS titlebar in the customise menu.

This worked :cheers:

Nalin posted:

Redux as it was last modified 2016 and the original was last modified 2013.

I asked in the chrome SALR if it was going to be backported to FF.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
The new webextension Stylish doesn't seem to have the same tracking/theme-query code that the chrome version has? This is confusing.

Also neither that nor stylus have the ability to do UI theming, which sucks. userChrome.css is so much less convenient.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Klyith posted:

Um, why? What are you worried that SimilarWeb will do with your web history that's worse than what google does? If anything, shouldn't you be more worried about the company that knows far more than just your web history, including aspects of your finances, health, and social relationships?
The fewer companies with my web history the better. And companies smaller than google are more likely to have breaches or to give zero fucks about blatantly exploiting the data.

Klyith posted:

In that case, please pick between:
* stop calling Stylish malware and instead describe it more accurately, like the stylish extension is collecting your web history so that normal people won't be confused
* call it malware, but also follow it up a web privacy rant about how everyone needs to block google, facebook is following you everywhere you go, they're always watching you. That way normal people can make the appropriate call on whether they agree with your definition of malware.
* fine, spyware
* you know you can block facebook/google tracking everything, right? It's easy and built in to many ad blockers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dylan16807 posted:

Also neither that nor stylus have the ability to do UI theming, which sucks. userChrome.css is so much less convenient.

The dev console can be used to manipulate browser chrome on-the-fly. Still have to put those alterations into the .css file to be permanent, but at least the process of making tweaks is a lot faster.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have a really stupid problem in that opening new tabs, loading web pages and similar flashes a white background and at night I like to have something that's a bit easier on the eyes. I have no idea what to try anymore, it should be #document in userChrome.css, but adding background: black; does nothing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
userContent.css might do it for you, but you'd have to tinker with the CSS to get it to work right...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What are the preferred add-ons for a sidebar and mouse gestures for this update?
I hope Super Start comes back. I had so much saved.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 15, 2017

Saint Jerome
Sep 14, 2004

I will unite the Jews!
So far my only issue with 57 is that I can't drag and reorder tabs via touch.

EDIT: I figured it out. You need to double tap on the tab, then it can be moved.

Saint Jerome fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 15, 2017

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Truga posted:

I have a really stupid problem in that opening new tabs, loading web pages and similar flashes a white background and at night I like to have something that's a bit easier on the eyes. I have no idea what to try anymore, it should be #document in userChrome.css, but adding background: black; does nothing.

userChrome.css
code:

/* recolor browser backgrounds to prevent white flash */
@-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xul) {
	browser[type="content-primary"], browser[type="content"],
	tabbrowser#content, #content, browser[type="content"] > html {
		background: #1D2021 !important;
	}
}
userContent.css
code:
@-moz-document url-prefix(about:blank), url-prefix(about:newtab) {
	html:not(#ublock0-epicker), html:not(#ublock0-epicker) body, #newtab-customize-overlay {
		background: #1D2021 !important;
	}
}

@-moz-document url(about:newtab), url(about:home) {
	body {
		background-color: #1D2021 !important;
		color: #1D2021 !important;
		overflow-y: hidden !important;
	}

.card, .prefs-pane .sidebar {
		background-color: #202020 !important;
	}

#snippets, .section-title, .snippetContainer {
		color: #AEAEAE !important;
	}

.contentSearchSuggestionTable, .contentSearchSuggestionsList {
		color: black !important;
	}

.display-item {
		color: #1D2021 !important;
	}

#aboutMozilla::before {
		filter:invert(100%) !important;
	}

#searchText {
		background:#1D2021 !important;
		border-radius: 4px;
		border: 1px solid #1D2021;
		box-shadow: none;
	}

#searchSubmit, #launcher {
		display:none !important;
	}

#onboarding-overlay-button, .prefs-pane-button {
		display: none;
	}
}
In action: https://i.imgur.com/W3HQ0QE.mp4

You'll have to change the colours to whatever you like. Also this will affect some regular webpages where the bg colour isn't defined explicitly, that might be fixable, I haven't really tried yet.

I removed the ui and scrollbar from the newtab page, if you want it back then get rid of the "overflow-y: hidden !important;" part and the "#onboarding-overlay-button, .prefs-pane-button" part.

e: that bug with the tabs going under the window controls is from some other CSS, woops.

Read fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 15, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, thank you.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

Can anyone suggest replacements for the following addons?

DownThemAll - Specifically the download manager aspect for when I'm downloading from slow lovely sites like Baidu. Am I going to have to pretend it's 1997 again and install GetRight?

The DownThemAll dev posted an update, he has an alpha version of the extension developed for Webextension, and says he is about a month or two away from a release version. Somewhere in there, a beta version may also be available.

I'm just going to stay with FF56 until that and some other extensions get updated. If there is a security issue, I'll evaluate what to do then, but I can live without FF57 for a while.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

The DownThemAll dev posted an update, he has an alpha version of the extension developed for Webextension, and says he is about a month or two away from a release version. Somewhere in there, a beta version may also be available.

I'm just going to stay with FF56 until that and some other extensions get updated. If there is a security issue, I'll evaluate what to do then, but I can live without FF57 for a while.

You might want to go to the Extended Support Release if you plan to not update 56, at least you'll get critical security patches then.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Am I missing something or are bookmarks dumb now? I actually really like 57 but the new Library thing is confusing. If I click Library -> Bookmarks it shows me a poo poo tonne of recent bookmarks and a search option. But I just want to see my goddamn folders I've had sorted out for ages. Do I really have to open All Bookmarks now just to get to a bookmark I saved years ago (but use almost every day) in a folder?

Edit: Oh I see. Right after I posted this I noticed there's a Library item and an actual Bookmarks item. Weird.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

wooger posted:

Get rid of Stylish - it's got malware in it.

It's been cloned and fixed and is now maintained as "Stylus", and there's a webextension version.

Yeah, I had originally meant to say I was switching over to Stylus because of what I'd heard about Stylish.

But I'd been lazy and paid the price.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Read posted:

You might want to go to the Extended Support Release if you plan to not update 56, at least you'll get critical security patches then.

Nah, Mozilla chose to be dicks and changed the profile format with 54, so there is no downgrading while also cancelling the 56 based ESR release so people can't stick with the last version that support XUL extensions. I'd be stuck with 52ESR, which doesn't support a bunch of the newer webextension based addons, as many webextension API's only got added very recently.

Unless a real security issue shows up, there isn't any risk to staying with 56 until, say, 58 shows up.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Nah, Mozilla chose to be dicks and changed the profile format with 54, so there is no downgrading while also cancelling the 56 based ESR release so people can't stick with the last version that support XUL extensions. I'd be stuck with 52ESR, which doesn't support a bunch of the newer webextension based addons, as many webextension API's only got added very recently.

Yeah, Mozilla did a really lovely job of handling the changeover both from the developer and user perspectives.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Anyone else getting this white line that runs across the Find Bar, while using Dark theme + Compact density?

Switching density to either Normal or Touch, and it goes away, also when you show the Title Bar (but who uses that, eww).

I'm just wondering if this is a "me" problem, or if it's maybe from some css change I did, it'd save me some time troubleshooting this if others are getting this too.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Unless a real security issue shows up, there isn't any risk to staying with 56 until, say, 58 shows up.

I guess there's always Waterfox, which now has a thing to migrate your profile, and is basically doing an ESR based on Fx55 for the time being
(until he can figure out how to hack XUL and XPCOM back into more recent Fx releases)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The one addon I truly miss (well, there's two, but one had stopped updating) is SALR.

Then again I only use a handful of addons compared to most people here probably.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I don't really see 57 outdoing Chrome on RAM usage. 8 tabs on the same sites on both browsers and task manager is showing Chrome with lower (admitting only 100mb) RAM usage. Maybe it scales out better, but beyond my usual us case.

Since Mozilla was also boasting about the improvements over 52 in Speedometer 2.0 I ran them through that and Firefox 57 scored 54 per minute and Chrome 61 per minute.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OhFunny posted:

I don't really see 57 outdoing Chrome on RAM usage. 8 tabs on the same sites on both browsers and task manager is showing Chrome with lower (admitting only 100mb) RAM usage. Maybe it scales out better, but beyond my usual us case.

Since Mozilla was also boasting about the improvements over 52 in Speedometer 2.0 I ran them through that and Firefox 57 scored 54 per minute and Chrome 61 per minute.

Why are you worrying about ram in 2017?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OhFunny posted:

Hurrah! We killed off extensions and community goodwill for...

cis autodrag posted:

have you seen the price of ram sticks these days? in 2017 we can unironically worry about memory use!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Yeah but you can’t put a price on freedom

Open Source Best Source

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cis autodrag posted:

I may have 16GB of RAM in my computer but every program is actually an instance of Chrome and they're using 3GB each.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

FoxyGestures seems fine but I can't find, or it doesn't have, rocker gestures in the style of left+right = forward, right+left = back. It's also frustrating when it doesn't work on browser-internal pages, or when a page hasn't loaded yet. This isn't their fault I realize but it's frustrating.

This is a bit of an old post, I came across the same thing during porting an extension I wrote to 57. The bolded part is their fault; they need to set the "run_at" key to "document_start" in their manifest: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/content_scripts

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

~Coxy posted:

I may have 16GB of RAM in my computer but every program is actually an instance of Chrome and they're using 3GB each.

Just once I wish one of those big apps would run on Gecko or hell even Trident. We all know they run on those engines in the first place, because the websites do...

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

fishmech posted:

Just once I wish one of those big apps would run on Gecko or hell even Trident. We all know they run on those engines in the first place, because the websites do...

To be fair, Mozilla hasn't really done a lot to support embedding Gecko; there's qbrt, but I think it's pretty much just one random employee's fun project. Maybe it'll get more support though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

maskenfreiheit posted:

Yeah but you can’t put a price on freedom

Open Source Best Source

https://chromium.org :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I decided I'd give FF57 an honest shot before I'm forced to use it or abandon FF but it has been the most dreadful evening.

The worst of it has to be the extensions. The extensions that work have all been rewritten from scratch in a very short period of time to use webextensions, and it shows. They're buggy as hell and many are missing core features that aren't going to be possible until later versions of FF.

Tree style tabs has been janky too - likely because of the rewrite - with tabs getting inserted at random points in the list when I try to organize them (dragging it on top of a tab and having it appear under one of its siblings, really weird). I once restarted Firefox and all the tabs had "shifted" by one spot "vertically" down the tab list, scrambling my trees.

That's ignoring the extensions that aren't currently possible and the many that will never get API support. My context menus are barely usable until I figure out a good way to get a list of context items to hide.

It's still not possible to see where the CPU usage is, a couple times I've had it spinning 25-30% of my CPU while about :performance looks perfectly clean. None of my tabs had a habit of doing that under 52 ESR. At least it restarts faster.

Mozilla never did fix the old developer toolbox bug where sometimes it just will not start without deleting stuff from your profile, but at least now you can hold down ctrl-shift-alt-I long enough and Firefox will forget that it's pretending to be broken.

I know Mozilla was chomping at the bit to get quantum out the door, whether it was ready or not, but I was still hoping it was going to be better than this. It feels like I'm on beta software, not a stable release. Sure you can say a lot of that is due to extensions, but when all the extensions have problems it's really not their problem anymore, it's Firefox's problem.