Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what is apple's target market for laptops at this point?

college students with loan money and prosumer grade lawyers with more cash than sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

what is apple's target market for laptops at this point?

college students with loan money and prosumer grade lawyers with more cash than sense?

yea. non computationally-intensive academics too. macbooks are v common in astronomy, for example, but not at 8 gb ram cap in 2017

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

you can have my 2015 mbp when you pry it from my cold dead hands (or alternatively when the new ones have less poo poo keyboards and the TB3 eGPU enclosure market / support has matured more)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

front of house and point of sale stuff is prevalent too. looks fancy as hell to have an iMac in the front

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

front of house and point of sale stuff is prevalent too. looks fancy as hell to have an iMac in the front

allegedlyt the best place in russian town i visited was like that. they served their menu on ipads

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

was the first time i used an ipad i think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

cryhard marco overcast is still whining about not being apple's target market, i see.

he nails it tho. that laptop might be the most perfect peice of hardware contemporaenously that ever existed.

its mine

I like it better than my phone but of course my phone plays a bigger part in my life, but the bestr hardware I have ever used is the early '15 mbp

itll maintain worth for a long time

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Linguica posted:

you can have my 2015 mbp when you pry it from my cold dead hands (or alternatively when the new ones have less poo poo keyboards and the TB3 eGPU enclosure market / support has matured more)

you can have my 2013 if you put $1500 in my cold dead hands. hell i see it sells for $1200 at the computer recycling store and im thinking about it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the target audience for macs is people who want to use macos instead of windows, which is basically everyone not named shaggar or steve ballmer.

ive used both the new macbook pro and mbpr extensively and aside from the justified keyboard breaking issues, the newer one is manifestly better in every single way (the keyboard action itself is also better.) marco arment is gonna look dumb as gently caress in five years when this is universal consensus. there were very similar complaints when apple dropped the optical drive and ethernet ports in 2012, people saying theyd rather hold on to their pre retina models. no one did because all the dumbshit internet media was wrong and it was a better computer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wouldn't mind using mac but not until their laptop devision pulls their head out of their rear end about what "pro" should mean

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Laslow posted:

The entire reason I got the x was because I loved the bigass screen on my plus, but the size was ridiculous. I agree that the x is too big in the sense that no larger phone is going to ever feel as good as the 5 or SE in my hand, but if I want a bigger screen, it’s a compromise I’m gonna have to live with.

I hope they update the SE every couple years forever. The form factor is too perfect to let it die.

i'm sure they will keep making the phone you said you won't buy because its screen is too small

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
ridiculous that in tyool 2017 apple won't sell a laptop with 32GB of RAM

or a laptop with a working keyboard

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the 13" macbook air was the platonically ideal laptop form factor, people tolerated the old pros because the screens were good but if you ever spent time using an air you just wished they'd put an actual good screen in it the whole time

I like my 13" pro butan edition but I miss my air

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
do you guys remember when apple changed the scroll direction for no goddamn good reason at all? alienating people who have to switch between windows and mac on the reg?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
too much bezel. the 13" mbp is nice looking, but lol @ carrying around a sack full of dongles if you want to use it with anything

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Poopernickel posted:

how many laptops in the form factor macs books pro occupy can you actually get 32gb of ram?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

do you guys remember when apple changed the scroll direction for no goddamn good reason at all? alienating people who have to switch between windows and mac on the reg?

i switch all the time and don't even notice it anymore

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

how many laptops in the form factor macs books pro occupy can you actually get 32gb of ram?

tons

also you can upgrade the ram yourself on most non-mac laptops super easily

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i switch all the time and don't even notice it anymore

glad you learned to live with it

but what possible good reason was there other than to make MacOS ~*sPeCiaL fOr CrEaTiVes*~

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

dang if only those handful of people could adjust this somehow

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Poopernickel posted:

they want to but intel still doesn't have a chip that supports lpddr4, they could use regular ddr4 but that would reduce their best in the industry 30 days standby to one week and more people would complain about that then the lack of 32GB of ram

also the loving iphone 6s has lpddr4 so intel is really slacking here

Perplx fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 15, 2017

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

dang if only those handful of people could adjust this somehow

yes but why did they even change in the first place

its not better or worse, just completely unnecessary

that would never have happened before they took the Jobs

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 15, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

the 13" macbook air was the platonically ideal laptop form factor, people tolerated the old pros because the screens were good but if you ever spent time using an air you just wished they'd put an actual good screen in it the whole time

I like my 13" pro butan edition but I miss my air
i still have my 2013 mba and it loving rules. it's too slow now to work with photo raws but other than that i still use it for work and games (mostly point and clicks or ie type rpgs like pillars of eternity)

i am extremely reluctant to upgrade it anytime soon, probably going to ride it out until it can't support a current osx

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

yes but why did they even change in the first place

its not better or worse, just completely unnecessary

that would never have happened before they took the Jobs

for the same reason ctrl-f is hosed in Outlook to this day

the guy at the top said so

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Poopernickel posted:

tons

also you can upgrade the ram yourself on most non-mac laptops super easily

why do you not have one of these then?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

I would if I could have picked my work laptop

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Boiled Water posted:

he used a macbook once and now he cant scroll any other way and so hes trapped on apple computers until the day he dies

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

he used a macbook once and now he cant scroll any other way and so hes trapped on apple computers until the day he dies

this guy gets me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the flesh is weak, poopernickel. only the soul habit of scroll direction is immortal

and yours belongs to me timb

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Poopernickel posted:

glad you learned to live with it

but what possible good reason was there other than to make MacOS ~*sPeCiaL fOr CrEaTiVes*~

probably platform convergence; it matches the 'natural' scrolling of a touchscreen. i remember creatives not liking it either, and there being no setting, so i had to use a little app to reverse it

now it feels fine, but idk windows scrolling doesnt confuse me when i switch devices

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

probably platform convergence; it matches the 'natural' scrolling of a touchscreen. i remember creatives not liking it either, and there being no setting, so i had to use a little app to reverse it

now it feels fine, but idk windows scrolling doesnt confuse me when i switch devices

there's been a setting since literally the day they launched it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
hmmmm just realized my win10 is natural scrolling but I don't remember setting it to do that

in fact, i can't find out where to do that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

natural scrolling superiority. it just makes much more sense on touch devices.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

even dell inspiron can. at the expense of being 1/5" thicker, sure, but no actual business user will care about that if it means 24GB more ram, you're not getting your dillz wet with a work laptop

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

there's been a setting since literally the day they launched it.

yeah wtf. someone created a "little app" to reverse the scrolling? they must have felt dumb when they found the "Scroll Direction" checkbox in the mouse/trackpad settings.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

dell will give you 64G of RAM in the macbook pro form factor

lenovo can only fit 32

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

even dell inspiron can. at the expense of being 1/5" thicker, sure, but no actual business user will care about that if it means 24GB more ram, you're not getting your dillz wet with a work laptop

lol yeah, but the inspiron will also crack in half after like a year when the shittiest plastic on earth fully dries out, and whoops the only metal in the entire laptop is the screen hinge anchored into this garbage

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you still truly, genuinely believe they max out at 8 gigs, huh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they top out at 16, from apple

i mean it's somehow $500 for that extra 8gb, but you can get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

lol yeah, but the inspiron will also crack in half after like a year when the shittiest plastic on earth fully dries out, and whoops the only metal in the entire laptop is the screen hinge anchored into this garbage

sure that's not a question, i just looked up a reasonably similarly sized 13" laptop. apple can just strap on aluminum hull to it, flatten a bit, and sell off for $3k or whatever